HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

objective based game mode with no respawns_

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 breezytrees

breezytrees

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted July 04 2012 - 05:02 PM

Or any game mode with zero respawns_ I have always found that games with zero respawns are the most rewarding, and ultimately hold my attention the longest.

Is there any plan for such a mode_

Forgive me if this has been brought up already, the forums search feature does not allow for quotes around multi-word phrases.

#2 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted July 05 2012 - 07:31 AM

Looks like a paint ball variation.

The one life game is always the best game. Hell we are all playing it right now....:P

Joke aside, the game should allow paint ball and one life try out. Those are amazing games where every wrench, curve, skill, memory and wit counts. They should be classics included in the pack.

There are popular variations of one hit kill with a power precision weapon like a mass driver or rail gun. The paint ball is well known and well played around the world. It should be popular in video games too. The paint ball emphasizes on the knowledge of the map and every intricate corner.

The one life game should require equal parameters for fair measure of competence. The parameters should change once players ask for weapons and additions throughout the map. It turns into a classical Quake III and Quake IV with mechs or the basic Unreal Tournament game.

Survival against hordes are another variation of your idea. It's well known. It should be in here where you have to take out on capable carriers one after the other taking refuge and helping your squad mates. That idea should be explored too, IMO.

The other variations of one life per game must be taken into account.

#3 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted July 05 2012 - 09:36 AM

Lol ( and I'm not laughing at you, MM). :D IMO, a paintball game mode is a must for training. Woiuld be fun as well. Or any other virtual weaponary as the ones utilized by the USAF for training purposes.

What breezytrees suggests looks interesting to me too. For example for some tournament mode.
In case the AG guys would implement something like this in Hawken then I'd just suggest to move the option for this mode to the bottom of the drop-down-list ( assuming that there's any in the UI )... so we keep undesired launchs away.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#4 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted July 06 2012 - 05:08 PM

Oooh, maybe like instagib_ Hm, only as "fun mode" where stats and everything else isnt tracked.

Also, check the posts in this thread. I know I posted a few single life game mode ideas in there somewhere.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#5 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted July 06 2012 - 06:01 PM

Duel or Team elimination game mode with a respawn/s setting from a value of 0 to unlimited.

There's bright light into those posts of yours there, Nitris.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#6 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted July 08 2012 - 05:16 PM

Nitris said:

Hm, only as "fun mode" where stats and everything else isnt tracked.
I don't understand why you wouldn't want to track stats in a fun mode. I really don't.

#7 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 09:21 AM

Because there will be "that one guy" or "that group of people" who get obsessive about the stats and end up taking it too seriously, and ruining the fun for people.

To clarify, I mean that after the "fun" match, whatever your stats are, they in no way affect your "regular stats" like with exp, credits, or whatever.

Its an escape from the constant pressure to do well. It doesn't matter because it doesn't affect anything.

#8 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 11:10 AM

Nitris said:

Because there will be "that one guy" or "that group of people" who get obsessive about the stats and end up taking it too seriously, and ruining the fun for people.

To clarify, I mean that after the "fun" match, whatever your stats are, they in no way affect your "regular stats" like with exp, credits, or whatever.

Its an escape from the constant pressure to do well. It doesn't matter because it doesn't affect anything.
I can sort of understand this, but if that's the case I wouldn't want stats tracked ever.

I don't think "fun mode" should be game mode specific, just server specified.

I'm one of those people that thinks there should be TF2 tournaments with low gravity, all crits, and custom maps. You'd still normalize weapon spread and junk, but mess with the mechanics to create a new platform to duke it out on.

#9 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted July 09 2012 - 11:59 AM

Meh!

Cordially, of course..

Posted Image

#10 Macabre

Macabre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, CA

Posted July 09 2012 - 02:25 PM

There are a few variations of this popular game mode; Paintball (mentioned), Search and Destroy, and a couple lesser known modes.

Having seperate stat tracking per game mode isn't all that uncommon, either.  The Call of Duty series, for example, has seperate stat tracking for the different game modes available (e.g. - Search and Destroy stats are seperate from Team Deathmatch stats, and so on, and so forth).  Granted, in that particular case, all of your game modes also have a stat tracker to give an average across the board; which the stat-police can still use to judge you.

Personally, I never use stat tracking to determine the "worth" of a player.  I would rather watch them play.  I only use stat tracking tools to help me detremine who may or may not be hacking (e.g. - my apologies for another CoD reference; if I run across someone with a KDR of 2.0+, I know that there is a much higher likelihood that that person is using software to augment or replace their natural skill level).  I've played with far too many players that have tournament-level skills and very low KDRs in their profile, due to practice sessions and "playing around".

#11 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 04:24 PM

I only like stat trackers when they come with line graphs to show progress.

I'd like to know the conditions and times that I did well, totals are dumb.

#12 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted July 09 2012 - 11:49 PM

Arseface said:

... I don't think "fun mode" should be game mode specific, just server specified.

I'm one of those people that thinks there should be TF2 tournaments with low gravity, all crits, and custom maps. You'd still normalize weapon spread and junk, but mess with the mechanics to create a new platform to duke it out on.

I forgot that we have been told there will be dedicated servers... Heh, I had it in my head that we would have some crappy peer 2 peer system.

With this in mind, yeah. I think that only official servers should affect your exp/credits/main stats/whatever.
Sv_official can only be turned on if the server is vanilla, and pure. (so, no custom maps, and no major mutators on [like low grav etc])

Hell, I love playing on full crit servers running low grav and the orange maps in TF2.

#13 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 05:57 AM

The conversation is heading somewhere.

The death kill ratio, accuracy and rank performance kills potential fun on these types of games. However competitiveness environment should acknowledged accordingly. Sometimes stats are important, sometimes they don't say much. Sometimes stats boasts egoes and so forth. Game types should be designed taking that in mind. Paint Ball and one hit could be non statistic oriented or statistic oriented. That's an option. The other optional game is the open free for all game where no stats are taken into consideration. Those are for training grounds and control adjustment.

1. The one life Paint Ball.
2. The one life insta gib with power precision weapons.
3. The last man stand survival game.
4. Setting defense up against hordes.

When players have arguments there should be a room where other players spectate the PVP match. This room could be a hell of fun and some place to test team players. It could be private or public where players can record the match and post it on youtube. It depends on the preferences. Options should be given for these game types.

#14 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted July 10 2012 - 06:54 AM

Nitris said:

With this in mind, yeah. I think that only official servers should affect your exp/credits/main stats/whatever.
Sv_official can only be turned on if the server is vanilla, and pure. (so, no custom maps, and no major mutators on [like low grav etc])
My stance on how experience should interact with mods

Mech Mechanic said:

2. The one life insta gib with power precision weapons.
3. The last man stand survival game.
I'm all for these. I don't much see the point in paintball with instagib as an option though.

#15 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted July 11 2012 - 12:35 PM

Just as side note: Stats and ranked games worth their own thread.

Posted Image

#16 Sovereign85

Sovereign85

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted July 27 2012 - 05:03 PM

Something similar to Counter Strike_  Sounds like a fantastic idea, more of a "hardcore mode" as some games like to call it.  I'd also like to see a capture the flag mode as well, and maybe even a conquest mode where you have to capture and hold numberous points until you get to the enemy base and make the final cap.

#17 Crabbit

Crabbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted September 24 2012 - 05:18 PM

I agree with Sovereign85. An objective based, Counter-strike like mode would be awesome in Hawken! One life games crank the excitment up significantly and make the matches and kills more meaningful. Have you ever been the last one alive on your team in CS, everyone watching and you win it clutch_ It's an exhilarating experience! If you can respawn infinitely it takes the punishment out of death and does not reward learned skills. Ultimately, you will learn how to play the game better in this sort of "hardcore" gaming enviroment.

#18 Extreme

Extreme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted September 24 2012 - 07:45 PM

So like Search and Destroy from Call of Duty_ I like it!

#19 Prospect

Prospect

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted September 25 2012 - 01:13 AM

The KDR (Kill Death Ratio) will be in all FPS (First person shooters) regardless of re-spawn or one life type games or modes. For example lets take two very known FPS

Counter Strike (all versions)

VS

Call of duty (all versions)

Counter Strike - One life (unless its a mod then DM) , very popular and has been around forever (for some lol) the 90's . A player kills the other team as well as doing there objective.

Call of duty - respawns (unless a different mod then 3 or less depending on the mode), been around 2000's (03')  but on consoles (i think). All players kill the other team or everyone and rack up points for "kill streaks" until someone wins.

Both games are fun and addicting regardless and KDR will be in all FPS and certain people will take it serious.

So yes I woould have to say if there isn't one there should be one so for level headed players and for competitions people would have to think instead of just run and gun which i tend do to sometimes.

Operating System: CPU Type:    CPU Speed:   System Memory:      Video Card Model:
Windows 7 SP1     i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz     3.29 GHz          2 GB   GeForce GT 520

#20 FERDY_FERDIAN

FERDY_FERDIAN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted September 25 2012 - 04:02 AM

I'm not sure if in the normal gameplay you'd be "respawnable" but I very much prefer it to be single life per round.
Like CS,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users