HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Settings reset - AGAIN. Not amused.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 DAOWAce

DAOWAce

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted February 12 2013 - 05:07 PM

Oh look, everything but video settings reset AGAIN this patch.  And again there are massive changes to the ini files.

Since the input file has much less changes this time I can actually compare it properly. Even so, I see no sign of anything I've changed in my backed up file; bindings have got to be saved somewhere else.

Getting royally sick of resetting everything over and over again.

Edit: That would be because they're structured in a way I haven't seen before.  The COMMANDS THEMSELVES change to the keys already set in the file, the keys themselves don't change at all. That is the most backwards fuzzy bunny I have ever seen. Brand new entries are added for keys not already in the file.

Well, figured that out, now it's easier to actually restore my changes.  Still requires temporarily unlearning my knowledge of keybindings, which is hard within itself.

Edited by DAOWAce, February 12 2013 - 05:21 PM.

I don't meant to sound rude, but I can't help the way people interpret my words.

#22 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted February 12 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostDAOWAce, on February 12 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

Oh look, everything but video settings reset AGAIN this patch.  And again there are massive changes to the ini files.

Since the input file has much less changes this time I can actually compare it properly. Even so, I see no sign of anything I've changed in my backed up file; bindings have got to be saved somewhere else.

Getting royally sick of resetting everything over and over again.
Greetings, beta tester. Make sure you've got your hard hat from Closed Beta.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#23 Wasabi_Wei

Wasabi_Wei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin, USA, Earth

Posted February 13 2013 - 05:27 PM

Easy enough to fix, but 'weak sauce'. :P
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world. - Grateful Dead lyric, but really true.

Just Saying: "If an officer of the law expects to be treated as such, then they had better act as one and uphold our laws and Rights in the pursuit of Justice."

#24 MeteorMod04

MeteorMod04

Community Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted February 19 2013 - 08:02 AM

Hey Everyone! Please remember to keep all posts/responds on topic. Thanks
Moderator2

#25 DAOWAce

DAOWAce

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted February 27 2013 - 03:21 AM

Video settings were reset for a patch that updated the microtransaction store, really_

View PostModerator02, on February 19 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

Hey Everyone! Please remember to keep all posts/responds on topic. Thanks
You deleted my post telling Elix to re-read what I previously said about this affecting a lot of other non-beta UE3 titles_
I don't meant to sound rude, but I can't help the way people interpret my words.

#26 DAOWAce

DAOWAce

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted March 09 2013 - 04:02 PM

Hey guess what.

Everything reset again!

Can't re-copy my control settings because of sweeping INI changes (an entire section of the file where the previous controls were stored was removed).

#27 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted March 09 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostDAOWAce, on March 09 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

Hey guess what.

Everything reset again!

Can't re-copy my control settings because of sweeping INI changes (an entire section of the file where the previous controls were stored was removed).

Hey, guess what. You're like a broken record.

See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.

#28 DAOWAce

DAOWAce

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted March 16 2013 - 07:39 PM

My post telling Elix to re-read what I said gets deleted, yet his instigating post doesn't, even after reporting it_  Come on mods..

Minor patch that you think wouldn't change anything has reset everything again.

When is the beta ending_  When are we getting a fix for this_  I've had to reset my game, video and control settings 11 times now.  I'm beyond sick of it.

#29 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted March 16 2013 - 07:49 PM

From the producer of Hawken:

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 10 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

View PostAUTOAL, on March 10 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

every time  after a new patch my settings are reset

It's an unfortunate necessity right now with the way Unreal and our patcher works. We need to keep working in those config files and as a result, if any changes are made, the patcher has no way to tell if a particular changed value is important or not and the entire file must be replaced. We wish it wasn't such a pain but we have to deal with it as users too right now unfortunately. As development pace changes, the need to change that file will decrease.

#30 Incriminated

Incriminated

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted March 17 2013 - 04:50 AM

I never face a update change any game parameters because i write protected the config files. I made a backup folder within and just copied another times in there.

So when i fear a game update may have changed parameters, i delete the config.ini-files, so they get automatically replaced by original ones.

After that i open the backup and original in a Diff-Programm and review what have changed, and reapply my personal tweaks.
"scared to death, scared to look, they shook, 'cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks"

#31 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted March 17 2013 - 05:13 AM

View PostIncriminated, on March 17 2013 - 04:50 AM, said:

I never face a update change any game parameters because i write protected the config files. I made a backup folder within and just copied another times in there.

So when i fear a game update may have changed parameters, i delete the config.ini-files, so they get automatically replaced by original ones.

After that i open the backup and original in a Diff-Programm and review what have changed, and reapply my personal tweaks.

See, that's sensible. And, if you're someone like DAOWAce, that's too haaaaaaaaaaard.

#32 Incriminated

Incriminated

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted March 17 2013 - 07:45 AM

It's an unfortunate necessity right now with the way Unreal and our patcher works. We need to keep working in those config files and as a result, if any changes are made, the patcher has no way to tell if a particular changed value is important or not and the entire file must be replaced. We wish it wasn't such a pain but we have to deal with it as users too right now unfortunately. As development pace changes, the need to change that file will decrease.

Guess for what PatchNotes are. You can easily write down what parameter changes you did in which config.ini-files, so advanced users don't have to delete their manual tweakes files and apply tweaks again, that way they just have to change the parameter according to update too, what is quite easier.

Just inform the users about what changes you did make in those config files, so they can apply them themselves without going from scratch.

Im sry for my bad english.

Edited by Incriminated, March 17 2013 - 07:48 AM.

"scared to death, scared to look, they shook, 'cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks"

#33 DAOWAce

DAOWAce

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted March 17 2013 - 05:54 PM

View PostElix, on March 17 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

See, that's sensible. And, if you're someone like DAOWAce, that's too haaaaaaaaaaard.
And there's proof you don't read my posts.

#34 DAOWAce

DAOWAce

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted April 26 2013 - 05:13 PM

I'd say something about our settings resetting again, but Elix would come around touting his ignorance.

#35 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted April 27 2013 - 09:48 AM

From another thread on the matter:

View Post[HWK]TJ, on April 25 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

This will be addressed in the next patch - no more losing settings, ever!

Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#36 DAOWAce

DAOWAce

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted November 02 2013 - 08:17 AM

Settings reset again, so either it was forced or TJ  was misinformed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users