HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Armored Core

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Rainier

Rainier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted July 11 2012 - 05:10 PM

Where my ravens at_!  Let's love on that OTHER mech game, here, and dream of AC perfection.  Has anyone played 4 or 5_  I've only played Last Raven, and although I'm far from a master at it, I love it to pieces.

What do you like about the series_  How would you improve it_  What's your favorite load out/build_

Speaking from my limited experience, I'd appreciate longer levels (with checkpoints) and more detailed  environments.  For an online game, it'd be cool to have a "pilots lounge" where you walk around, discuss the game,  and challenge opponents.  It'd be nice to be able to easily share builds, too.
Posted Image

#2 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted July 12 2012 - 11:45 AM

console_  ick

#3 Rainier

Rainier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted July 12 2012 - 03:05 PM

Posted Image

Your face is ick.
Posted Image

#4 Varaka

Varaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted July 12 2012 - 03:26 PM

Lol.
(/^▽^)/

#5 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted July 13 2012 - 10:16 AM

where's the "like" button_

#6 Slagathor

Slagathor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted July 15 2012 - 11:25 AM

i was always a chromehound fan so i bought AC 5 hoping for a great mech game but i soon found out that almost all of your mobility is by boosters i the damn game how the fuck can you push a ton mech around like a tin can for 10 minutes while jumping up and down buildings and climbing them the incredible hulk i liked chromehounds because it was something that could really happen hawken doesnt look like the jetpack they give you gives you the ability to fly around like plane

#7 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted July 16 2012 - 07:45 AM

punctuation was a wonderful invention

#8 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted July 16 2012 - 03:32 PM

Redvan said:

punctuation was a wonderful invention

Irony in its purest form!
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#9 Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted July 16 2012 - 09:37 PM

I was a huge fan of AC fan back in the day. ACV, though a decent hud and online...finally....simply doesn't feel like Armored Core....at all.

The mobility is completely different, favoring linearity and canned movement over twitch and finesse, which is what built the franchise. Even aesthetically, although decent looking, doesn't feel right.

Though, again, the HUD is great, still a high level of building/testing, and I actually favor the scanning system instead of radar. I just can't get over how the game moves....it's not Armored Core.
Landscape Architecture Portfolio - http://www.gheridsmick.com
"Vitor's BJJ is like the nucleus of an atom; people say it exists but, no one has actually seen it."
"I don't believe in psychology, I believe in good moves." Bobby Fisher.
"Do nothing from selfishness or empty coneit, but with humility of mind regard others as more important than yourself." Philippians 2:3

#10 Whiskey_Tango_Foxtrot

Whiskey_Tango_Foxtrot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationI'm on a boat!

Posted September 01 2012 - 03:50 PM

Gherid_lacksGPS wrote:

I was a huge fan of AC fan back in the day. ACV, though a decent hud and online...finally....simply doesn't feel like Armored Core....at all.

The mobility is completely different, favoring linearity and canned movement over twitch and finesse, which is what built the franchise. Even aesthetically, although decent looking, doesn't feel right.

Though, again, the HUD is great, still a high level of building/testing, and I actually favor the scanning system instead of radar. I just can't get over how the game moves....it's not Armored Core.

I felt the same way about ACV, I thought the online aspects and HUD elements were well integrated, but the core gameplay mechanics were altered too much for the game to be immediately recognizable as a part of the armored core series.

I appreciated the attempt to tone down maneuverability and boost performance from what it was in 4 and 4A, making it feel closer to the tactical, close quarters combat of the earlier games. That said, boosting was awkward with quickboost being next to useless, many weapon systems handled in ways which were vastly different from what you'd expect in an AC game (e.g. energy blades), and many of the mech designs simply felt like they didn't fit in the game, most notably the riot shield-wielding Defenders which I'd sooner expect to see in Gundam than as an Armored Core enemy.

All in all, it was decently entertaining as a game in itself, but ultimately a failure in my mind as an Armored Core game.

#11 skatcat31

skatcat31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted September 01 2012 - 10:10 PM

ACIV, ACIV4A, and ACV are a little bit more mobile than the past installments, but V is a bit closer to the root cores(smaller mechs, no shields), and rockets can set you back. My light assault mech is a mech that can stay airborn for awhile, but my ground heavy mech can't stay airborne for even a fifth of the time, so it steeply depends in this one instead of 4 and 4a.
Fanboys beware: From now on if you start doing it I will ignore the post. Fanboyism ruins conversations the same way religion, science, and politics due. We're here to fawn over hawken, not other things.

#12 Dual_Face

Dual_Face

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Location(soon to be) Santa Cruz, California

Posted September 16 2012 - 10:27 AM

Right on! fellow raven here.

I've been playing since Armored Core Silent Line came on on the Playstation 2, since then I've tracked down all the other games on the PS2 and played each of them

I've played 4, it was cool but it felt very strange compared to the PS2 era games, since then I've been reluctant to pick up ACV

Anywho, I really love the series. Especially the designs of the mechs, they seem to borrow that sleekness from Gundam and mash it with the bulk of MechWarrior

the only thing I would do to improve the series is increase the length of the missions, Armored Core is fun but the series is suited for quick engagements rather than lengthy battles

#13 skatcat31

skatcat31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted September 16 2012 - 12:33 PM

Oh five's competitive multiplayer is a blast.
Fanboys beware: From now on if you start doing it I will ignore the post. Fanboyism ruins conversations the same way religion, science, and politics due. We're here to fawn over hawken, not other things.

#14 Dual_Face

Dual_Face

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Location(soon to be) Santa Cruz, California

Posted September 16 2012 - 03:20 PM

View Postskatcat31, on September 16 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

Oh five's competitive multiplayer is a blast.

do people still play_ I was going to buy it the other day since it had a recent price drop but I wasnt sure if there were still people online

#15 skatcat31

skatcat31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted September 16 2012 - 07:51 PM

Yes they do. It seems once Chromehounds went down, a lot of chromeheads came over(I see some old CH clans on their constantly), well at least on xbawks

#16 FractaLuna

FractaLuna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 17 2012 - 03:35 PM

PS3 Raven here... yeah, if you find a good group, the game is still rather well played... Speaking of which.... we should make a Hawken alliance!

#17 Diabetus88

Diabetus88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationVancouver WA

Posted September 17 2012 - 05:13 PM

Lets see I played AC:Project Phantasm, AC2, Another Age, AC3, Silent Line, Last Raven, AC4, For Answer and ACV. Now my favorite things from all the games would be the variety of parts and first person option in AC3, the play style of ACV and the stabilizers from AC4 and For Answer. If I could have all of those features in a mech game with a steel battalion controller I would be the happiest man on earth.

#18 Zeether

Zeether

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted September 17 2012 - 06:23 PM

I played the first game and I think...Nexus. The non dual stick games seem to be a little tough to get into because of the controls, but I kind of want to try getting into the series. I don't own any of the newer consoles, but I know some of the PS2 games are regarded highly.

Also, the tribute album for For Answer from OCRemix is awesome.

#19 Vilyria

Vilyria

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted September 18 2012 - 03:14 AM

Gosh I so badly would want to try the 5th... But would need to buy PS3 first... I still keep playing the 1st one a lot! :)

Posted Image

My blog-> MELODIC-MISSILES

#20 GUEST

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationThe land of apple pie and toddler pageants.

Posted September 18 2012 - 03:29 AM

View Postskatcat31, on September 16 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

Yes they do. It seems once Chromehounds went down, a lot of chromeheads came over(I see some old CH clans on their constantly), well at least on xbawks

God, I loved that game. Now there's one I wish was still around.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users