HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Some art.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kr1l

kr1l

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 09 2012 - 11:34 PM

Hi, i'm a graphic designer\artist from Saint-petersburg, Russia. Check my mech design. WIP.
http://kr1l.tumblr.c...ost/30926060153
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Apoteoza

Apoteoza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted September 09 2012 - 11:44 PM

That mech could have 2 seats for 2 passangers :D and lot of weapons at it :D
Really nice spider vehicle and if the rest of the INTERRESTING or ARCHIVE projects are yours you really own :D The mech could fit here  with boosts on legs. The animation of moving  such spieder mech would be crazy scary in game  DAMN :D
love it
Posted Image

#3 kr1l

kr1l

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 11 2012 - 06:08 AM

New mech started!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted September 11 2012 - 06:25 AM

I hope something of your works will be used.

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

SAMSUNG EVO 120GB * OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2 600W * Win 7 64
@ defekt : Mobility is King and burst damage is Queen. Checkmate.
Gdy byłem młodszy byłem bardziej beztroski... aha... nie lubię już POLSKI !

#5 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted September 14 2012 - 04:22 PM

You have wonderful modeling abilities but your design abilities are surely absent. That's evident with this clay model. If you want to improve on it, start making a sketch solving a specific problem on your design process. Take some references, develop a concept around some basic premises. If you don't draw, make some sketches or do some trial and error your work surely is destined to suck hard.

Don't sketch on a 3d editor, 3d max, maya, Rhino or Auto Cad. That's the worst thing you can do. Begin with some sketches modeling the whole structure. Make some annotations, how the system will behave. Develop short story boards how the mech behaves, walk, how the hatch opens, how the weapons fires and reload.

Bipeds, legged bots, arachnids need a hell lot of work. Up to now your work looks like a rough sketch and "blocky" for a mech. It must be more soft on the edges. Doing an engineering approach to mechanics and mechanisms is the correct approach but it needs a concept and a definite style.

#6 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted September 14 2012 - 04:26 PM

See concept robot for further references...

#7 IllOO

IllOO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationBraunschweig, Germany

Posted September 15 2012 - 08:37 AM

Not the best media for a mech-concept, but i wanted to make a HAWKEN lego-mech fan-art. And yes, building high-quality stuff out of lego is art for me ;) The mech-legs have 3 jonts. The upper body belong to a light mech-typ. Weapon-arm-attachments are missing, because i didn`t have enough parts for them :P
Posted Image

I will soon make a real HAWKEN mech-concept with lots of texture-work, Khang Le style ;)
Oh, did i mention i need a alpa code_ :D
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 skatcat31

skatcat31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted September 15 2012 - 10:18 AM

I'm going to laugh when they give you source for a mech, but don't let you into alpha XP
Fanboys beware: From now on if you start doing it I will ignore the post. Fanboyism ruins conversations the same way religion, science, and politics due. We're here to fawn over hawken, not other things.

#9 His_Mstrs_Voice

His_Mstrs_Voice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted September 16 2012 - 03:47 PM

LEGO and Hawken - a match made in heaven. Mayeb we should try and pitch a Hawken set for LEGO to make_

Anyway, since we're posting stuff, might as well add my two cents.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now that I think about it, the second one doesn't really fit the Hawken aesthetic all the much. I'd probably need to redesign the legs and groin section to make him mesh better with how most of the machines are designed.

#10 Tenchu

Tenchu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT

Posted September 16 2012 - 07:44 PM

View PostMechMechanic, on September 14 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

You have wonderful modeling abilities but your design abilities are surely absent. That's evident with this clay model. If you want to improve on it, start making a sketch solving a specific problem on your design process. Take some references, develop a concept around some basic premises. If you don't draw, make some sketches or do some trial and error your work surely is destined to suck hard.

Don't sketch on a 3d editor, 3d max, maya, Rhino or Auto Cad. That's the worst thing you can do. Begin with some sketches modeling the whole structure. Make some annotations, how the system will behave. Develop short story boards how the mech behaves, walk, how the hatch opens, how the weapons fires and reload.

Bipeds, legged bots, arachnids need a hell lot of work. Up to now your work looks like a rough sketch and "blocky" for a mech. It must be more soft on the edges. Doing an engineering approach to mechanics and mechanisms is the correct approach but it needs a concept and a definite style.

His designs are fine, if you are criticizing the medium he is aiming for or comparing to (Hawken) than it is more a matter of the chosen aesthetic for the game. That is to say mech games have a variety of aesthetic choices that are often defined by their function versus their form. To say that his designs are "poorly" thought out is kind of a dick thing to say when its clearly something he has put work into and it is clearly something he enjoys. I think its a solid piece and while it seems like more of a High-Poly model it is necessary for an artist to show that they are capable of thinking in terms of the smallest detail and not just the rough picture.

Artists do things different ways and in different manners they are more comfortable with. If he thinks he can get his idea down better in a 3d modelling program like Maya, Blender, or Max, than by conventional traditional art means, than who are you to say his approach is wrong.

Most people wouldn't have a clue as to how he arrived where he is with his design and sometimes designs flow better in free space than on paper. It's all about the person and the pen, whether that pen is literally a pen or is some other form of tool.

On the subject of aesthetic value it is important to note that mechs come in all different forms and flavors, some are more disconnected from the realms of humans and have no match to the human form where as others are very much in that style and will flow and curve to that design. There are half designs that only follow the bipedal monniker, but are often designed to minimize the relation to the human form while still maintain the function of environmental movement that they offer.

Just as well its good art and I hope he posts more as well as anyone else who isn't afraid to show off their art. It can be hard when even the artist is too critical of their own work to hear the voices of others.

#11 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted September 17 2012 - 04:48 AM

"His designs are fine"

You are baiting if you believe in your words. I can't take your post seriously sorry. I love to troll users doing the exact same thing you did. However I use coherent arguments through the process.

Many users begin their work with block models because they use the 3d editor as the starting tool. You can't design your mech inside 3d editors because the design process is hampered and fragmented. A 3d modeler is a documentary of your work turned into vector graphics. If the work is not hand drawn or studied in any other medium, the result will be just a juxtaposition of random pieces. The design process requires trial and error, some concrete ideas and a study to a certain approach. What he is doing is a 3d doddle.

3d modeling is a process of documentation where all the ideas are summed up. The documentation requires previous design before the model is being transcribed. You have to model the whole thing or have an idea about the whole concept. His work shows added forms without function. He is using a lot of predefined to put up a model. The process should be inverted. It has to be the other way around. The completeness of the model need to be established first and then work the pieces.

The engineering approach as I said is the correct one. But he needs more knowledge mounting those pieces together. For example there are lots of silly models in Hawken. Some of them are good others are awful because it uses the technique of the "found object art" imposing interpretation over existed pieces. It is a valid way to design but not necessarily gives a good result.

"if you are criticizing the medium he is aiming for or comparing to (Hawken) than it is more a matter of the chosen aesthetic for the game. That is to say mech games have a variety of aesthetic choices that are often defined by their function versus their form."

Learn to read, I never used Hawken as a parameter or standard.

"To say that his designs are "poorly" thought out is kind of a dick thing to say when its clearly something he has put work into and it is clearly something he enjoys."

In the internet, it is always fun to read awkward baits like this one but, that's not the purpose of a board aimed at learning and improving art..

In art you have to be frank and direct. You don't nurture artists. For that you have your mom and your dad that rewards you like a child when you do something good. If you want to make something interesting you have to learn the hard way. There's no other way to improve on your job. If he gets the false notion of having a great job, he will surely is destined to suck. Just look at any design of a mech out there. If you want to reach a caliber you need to demand more within your design process. He has none.

"I think its a solid piece and while it seems like more of a High-Poly model it is necessary for an artist to show that they are capable of thinking in terms of the smallest detail and not just the rough picture."

Obvious bait.

You don't lose your time on the details if you can't have a whole picture of your project.

"Artists do things different ways and in different manners they are more comfortable with. If he thinks he can get his idea down better in a 3d modelling program like Maya, Blender, or Max, than by conventional traditional art means, than who are you to say his approach is wrong."

He has potential but his design process is missing, simple as that. Why_ He has no design process at all.

"Most people wouldn't have a clue as to how he arrived where he is with his design and sometimes designs flow better in free space than on paper. It's all about the person and the pen, whether that pen is literally a pen or is some other form of tool."

The result made explicit his deficiencies.

"Just as well its good art and I hope he posts more as well as anyone else who isn't afraid to show off their art. It can be hard when even the artist is too critical of their own work to hear the voices of others."

If you make your work public, you have to deal with the heat. Those are your options.

Now let me do this post more pedagogic for him.

Concept robot:

http://conceptrobots.blogspot.com/

Some examples. These are professional artists so I'm not expecting him to reach this standard. Take years and lots of effort to reach this caliber.

Posted Image

This image is simple but convey a great design with simple gestures.

Posted Image

An additive approach to design with a clear conception of the project. Look at the joints and the skeletal links of the anthropomorphic figure. He decided to solve "joint problems" and "articulations".

Posted Image

This design tries to be more realistic and concrete with the textures on the pieces. The design is "engineered" with current robotic technology. It seems achievable with current technology.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Another amazing example of realism and detail.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 SmaCkexe

SmaCkexe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted September 17 2012 - 03:20 PM

I dont see anything wrong with what Mechmechanic said ... he came off a bit harsh but it was clear his post was meant to educate and help.  I think the guy has a bright future ahead of him.  Thanks for sharing your designs.  Keep em coming.
Posted Image

#13 lawlken

lawlken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 06:29 AM

some purrty pictures posted here. good job artists!

#14 Brett

Brett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted September 18 2012 - 07:07 AM

Yeah, that really is some great art. Makes me wanna learn a little bit about digital design.

#15 Vor

Vor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWisconsin USA

Posted September 18 2012 - 07:08 AM

good stuff

#16 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 12:00 PM

lol realism used very loosely. so many useless shapes and plates tacked on those "professional" robot concepts. none of those are very intelligently or uniquely designed.

a lot of "artistic" sense, but not enough engineering sense. look at the hawken robots. the perfect fusion of practical looking with a unique industrial and sometimes organic aesthetic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users