HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken CPU or GPU dependent_

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostDiesel_X, on February 23 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

how big is hawken game in your hard drive_

1.8 Gigs in C:/Program Files & 32 Megs in My Documents

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#22 Puredeath

Puredeath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Stuck-up barbies

Posted February 28 2013 - 03:16 PM

I have a AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.40 GHZ for a processor and ATI Radeon HD 4200 (its on the motherboard btw) and 8GB RAM and i get about 8 fps if im lucky on low/low and resolution set to more or less the smallest. so you people who have issues running with less than 20 fps dont know how bad it really can get. i drop to maybe 2 fps at best when i get shot in the face with and form of explosive. I dont see why this game need to be so gpu intensive i mean do i REALLY have to have that pipe you dont even notice in 3d_ or uneven ground that doesnt even collide with my mech_ do i need to have all these little details that you dont even notice unless your repairing and are looking at the wall in front of you (instead of around the corner like your supposed to be doing).
Self Built PC | AMD Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.40 GHz | Nivida Geforce GTX 660 | 8GB DDR2 | 1T SATA w/ RAID 1

The Iron Titans

#23 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted February 28 2013 - 03:32 PM

It's called attention to detail, some of us appreciate it

In any case, it has been shown in the past that AMD cards don't play well with Hawken

Posted Image

#24 LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, United States

Posted February 28 2013 - 06:05 PM

Guess I won't be the only one with a Sager/Clevo.
I salute to the fun times that could've been had here.
RIP:
Spoiler

#25 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted February 28 2013 - 07:52 PM

View PostPuredeath, on February 28 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

I have a AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.40 GHZ for a processor and ATI Radeon HD 4200 (its on the motherboard btw) and 8GB RAM and i get about 8 fps if im lucky on low/low and resolution set to more or less the smallest. so you people who have issues running with less than 20 fps dont know how bad it really can get. i drop to maybe 2 fps at best when i get shot in the face with and form of explosive. I dont see why this game need to be so gpu intensive i mean do i REALLY have to have that pipe you dont even notice in 3d_ or uneven ground that doesnt even collide with my mech_ do i need to have all these little details that you dont even notice unless your repairing and are looking at the wall in front of you (instead of around the corner like your supposed to be doing).

Seriously_  You have fuzzy bunny hardware and you're asking why it has to have all those details_  Get Off Your High Horse!

You think the Xbox 360 and PS3 would run their games with your crappy HD 4200 graphics_  HELL NO!  There's a reason millions of people buy such high-spec'd consoles.  If Microsoft and Sony came out with consoles that showed 2 squares shooting at each other with tiny white spheres as bullets, nobody would buy them.  DETAILS!  It's all about the details in a game for that initial WOW! Factor.  The rest of it comes with story and appeal, but that's for another time.  Imagine if I took out a Victoria's Secret model and replaced her with a rectangular box with a bra and panties on, you think people would buy those undergarments_ NO! Again, DETAILS!

Why are you even playing Hawken_  Have you ever checked Youtube and seen the gameplay_  If you did, then you would see the graphic details that make this game great.  You really think that removing a pipe or fixing the uneven ground would cause you to have a spike in FPS_ WRONG AGAIN!  You who knows NOTHING about how a graphics card processes data, look at this:  It's the MOVING objects that cause the biggest FPS drops!  Meaning, the only way to get your graphics FPS to go up would be to remove all the other player mechs, and ANY kind of motion that goes on during gameplay.  So you might as well just stare at a picture, then you'll see your FPS go up.  That's the sad truth about most integrated graphics.  Granted, some of the newest integrated graphics have some noteworthy graphics power, but they STILL don't come close to an actual video card.

Now let's get back to your crappy HD 4200, which is probably an HD 4250.  This is NOT a gaming card.  You might be able to get away with some older games like from a few years ago, but it won't play anything current without terribly low FPS.  Don't blame Hawken for this, blame yourself for not properly investing in a graphics card.  In fact, it's not too late for you.  Your processor is decent enough, all you need is a GTX series Nvidia graphics card and you'll be able to play this game with high or ultra settings.  No need to remove any pipes.  You might have to check your power supply for enough wattage and your case for enough airflow, but that's about it.

So let's summarize:  Your fuzzy bunny of a graphics chip doesn't give you the right to even talk about what this game should and should not have. Get a decent graphics card and if you're still experiencing issues, then you can talk.

PS:  I don't want to hear about your money issues because EVERY person playing this game has money issues in one form or another.  It all depends on how badly you want to play this game.

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#26 Puredeath

Puredeath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 12:00 PM

View Postmachmanx, on February 28 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

View PostPuredeath, on February 28 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

Seriously_  You have fuzzy bunny hardware and you're asking why it has to have all those details_  Get Off Your High Horse!

You think the Xbox 360 and PS3 would run their games with your crappy HD 4200 graphics_  HELL NO!  There's a reason millions of people buy such high-spec'd consoles.  If Microsoft and Sony came out with consoles that showed 2 squares shooting at each other with tiny white spheres as bullets, nobody would buy them.  DETAILS!  It's all about the details in a game for that initial WOW! Factor.  The rest of it comes with story and appeal, but that's for another time.  Imagine if I took out a Victoria's Secret model and replaced her with a rectangular box with a bra and panties on, you think people would buy those undergarments_ NO! Again, DETAILS!

Why are you even playing Hawken_  Have you ever checked Youtube and seen the gameplay_  If you did, then you would see the graphic details that make this game great.  You really think that removing a pipe or fixing the uneven ground would cause you to have a spike in FPS_ WRONG AGAIN!  You who knows NOTHING about how a graphics card processes data, look at this:  It's the MOVING objects that cause the biggest FPS drops!  Meaning, the only way to get your graphics FPS to go up would be to remove all the other player mechs, and ANY kind of motion that goes on during gameplay.  So you might as well just stare at a picture, then you'll see your FPS go up.  That's the sad truth about most integrated graphics.  Granted, some of the newest integrated graphics have some noteworthy graphics power, but they STILL don't come close to an actual video card.

Now let's get back to your crappy HD 4200, which is probably an HD 4250.  This is NOT a gaming card.  You might be able to get away with some older games like from a few years ago, but it won't play anything current without terribly low FPS.  Don't blame Hawken for this, blame yourself for not properly investing in a graphics card.  In fact, it's not too late for you.  Your processor is decent enough, all you need is a GTX series Nvidia graphics card and you'll be able to play this game with high or ultra settings.  No need to remove any pipes.  You might have to check your power supply for enough wattage and your case for enough airflow, but that's about it.

So let's summarize:  Your fuzzy bunny of a graphics chip doesn't give you the right to even talk about what this game should and should not have. Get a decent graphics card and if you're still experiencing issues, then you can talk.

PS:  I don't want to hear about your money issues because EVERY person playing this game has money issues in one form or another.  It all depends on how badly you want to play this game.

please calm down quit making asumptions i am suggesting an change for the lower settings. so that when you use low or make a new setting called ultra low were the number of vectors on everything is reduced greatly. Your gpu is rendering the 3d models in a vertual world made up of VECTORS now that pipe has vectors in it lets say 20 (most likely more) now that pipe is probably in my render distance at least 10 times thats around 200 vectors for one detail. everytime a frame is rendered my gpu has to do calculatons for that. this includes eveything not just pipes but indents in walls for windows, and there lip. Removing one object wont help much true but removing all of them will help greatly more. If you would like to yell at me becuase i am suuggesting thing to inprove performace for people near the min req. to play hawken go a head idc.
Self Built PC | AMD Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.40 GHz | Nivida Geforce GTX 660 | 8GB DDR2 | 1T SATA w/ RAID 1

The Iron Titans

#27 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted March 01 2013 - 02:27 PM

one of the problems with FTP games is that anyone can play it, PC gamers usually have gaming rigs already built when they purchase that $60 game, but with FTP, that price barrier isn't there

just a thought.

Posted Image

#28 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted March 02 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostPuredeath, on March 01 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

please calm down quit making asumptions i am suggesting an change for the lower settings. so that when you use low or make a new setting called ultra low were the number of vectors on everything is reduced greatly. Your gpu is rendering the 3d models in a vertual world made up of VECTORS
You realize that this would require writing a completely new renderer instead of using the UE3 engine's built-in renderer, and this would set Hawken's development back by at least a full year_

There are INI tweaks that you can make that will increase your performance by doing things like disabling dynamic lighting and such. The minimum system requirements for Hawken are an AMD HD 5670. Your computer does not meet the minimum specifications, and that's all there is to it. That is why you have such poor performance. Instead of Hawken getting a lighter, incredibly primitive rendering engine to suit you, you should instead be concentrating your efforts on getting a new computer if you wish to play games made in the last three years.

Edit: Specifically, the GPU is the problem. The rest of your system is adequate, overall. If you could get a dedicated graphics card, you'd see dramatic performance improvements in Hawken.

Edited by Elix, March 02 2013 - 02:35 PM.

HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#29 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted March 02 2013 - 02:51 PM

Since I'm familiar with the HD 4200 series, I know for a fact that it has a PCI x16 slot just waiting to be occupied.  It's just begging you to get a graphics card to put into that slot.  Even a $30 HD 5450 would boost your graphics performance by about double.  But since we're talking Hawken here, you can invest $100 in the GTX 650 and be able to run the game on HIGH settings.  Now how cool would that be, eh_  Heck, if you shopped around for a used card, you might be able to get a decent GTX series nvidia for $50-100.  That's what you should be doing instead of suggesting more work onto the Hawken devs.

Obviously, I'm against it.

#30 docj

docj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 10:25 AM

In reply to the original question;  If you mean which piece of hardware is more important for you to have in your rig, I would say neither or both (depending on which way you look at it).  The answer is, you should have a balanced rig.  To have a GPU bottlenecked by the CPU or vice-versa would be a shame and a waste of potential at one end or the other.

Temps tell you almost nothing for this question, but since others have shared I will too.  In my machine with Hawken @1920x1080 +ultra +PhysX: CPU temp holds steady at ~42c, GPU temp holds steady at ~58c.  CPU = i5-3570k @3.8GHz + AC Freezer 13 Cooler and GPU = MSI Twin Frozr GTX 660 OC.

Edited by docj, March 05 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#31 tObiW4nkenObi

tObiW4nkenObi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCologne City

Posted March 06 2013 - 01:45 PM

a little hint to all amd/ati card user.
on my hd5670 i got a big performance boost by editing the user HawkenSystemSettings.ini and decrease all shadow values by half for example.

it seems like the geforce cards perform better in the shadow-section.

groovin greeting,
tobi

#32 Puredeath

Puredeath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted March 07 2013 - 12:17 PM

View Postmachmanx, on March 02 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

Since I'm familiar with the HD 4200 series, I know for a fact that it has a PCI x16 slot just waiting to be occupied.  It's just begging you to get a graphics card to put into that slot.  Even a $30 HD 5450 would boost your graphics performance by about double.  But since we're talking Hawken here, you can invest $100 in the GTX 650 and be able to run the game on HIGH settings.  Now how cool would that be, eh_  Heck, if you shopped around for a used card, you might be able to get a decent GTX series nvidia for $50-100.  That's what you should be doing instead of suggesting more work onto the Hawken devs.

Obviously, I'm against it.

you realise that gpu you are suggesting requires a PCI E 3.0 slot i have only a PCI E 2.0 slot and i am currently looking for a motherboard that will work with a geforce 560 (gonna double check that thats the right card) that will also work with my current gpu witch means dishing out over $300 (more like 350-400) to beable to run this game. I am in the process of improving my hardware and simply providing a theory to improve fps for people that are having that issue and dont mind loseing detail.

The Iron Titans

#33 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted March 08 2013 - 12:15 PM

Well, as I said before in the other post, PCI 3.0 cards will work in 2.0 slots.  There is no 3.0 card available today that can even go at 3.0 speeds, they all provide bandwidth in 2.0 speeds.  So you don't need to change your current hardware, just pop in a nice video card (taking into account cooling and PSU).  Simple as that ;)

#34 Puredeath

Puredeath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted March 09 2013 - 05:55 AM

View Postmachmanx, on March 08 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

Well, as I said before in the other post, PCI 3.0 cards will work in 2.0 slots.  There is no 3.0 card available today that can even go at 3.0 speeds, they all provide bandwidth in 2.0 speeds.  So you don't need to change your current hardware, just pop in a nice video card (taking into account cooling and PSU).  Simple as that ;)

my comment was made before you said that btw. I find it anoying when people try to tear down people becuase they arnt as well off as them.
Edit: Link topic that is being referred to: http://community.pla...-rig-need-tips/

Edited by Puredeath, March 09 2013 - 09:27 AM.

The Iron Titans

#35 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted March 09 2013 - 08:52 AM

Oh, I'm just posting a reply so that other people who have the same problem will see a clear answer.  Sorry if that annoyed you :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users