HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

A windy day on Illal

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#41 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted February 22 2013 - 09:10 PM

also, please don't shoot me D:

Posted Image

#42 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted February 22 2013 - 09:32 PM

Bill noted the state of the mecha as they shifted through the warehouse.

Aged, weathered, and still ready for war, these were creations initially intended to defend Crion's interests in Illal's rich mineral resource.  Even Brommens models were stored in their stations!  "Hey Dan, you were a miner before right_"
"Yeah, what of it_"  "I was wondering, what made you stay on Illal," his Brommens promptly ceased its locomtion...

Roughly fifteen seconds passed before he spoke, "maybe later, for now, cut the chatter," his voice cracked and barely trembled.  "Yes sir."

Piston stared at the downed Hiefram a second time.  "You damn Sentium bunn-" "LEAVE HIM PISTON, he ain't worth the time nor the munitions!"  Dan had begun to think about his team and how they were brought together.

Henry 'Piston' Williams, the gruff muscle that doesn't know when to be formal.  Full of heart, but his poor impulse control put him in the further reaches of Prosk territory.
Bill, he was just Bill.  Analytical, and more suited for an officer's commission, but in lieu of his excellence, he was deemed a possible security risk due to his incessant probing.
And Daniel "Frost" Lemmings...  He worked in the mines, without much stake invested in any of the corporations that employed him.  Since the Nano-virus, he's been unusually stoic of his past....
They were the outcasts people didn't really care for, not worth the attention.  After all, what were they going to do, make waves_  Now they've been thrown into a desperate struggle just to feed themselves first, and then the people working for Prosk.
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#43 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted February 22 2013 - 09:42 PM

Eldritch grunted in annoyance at his current state.

He had been hit by a few AM SAR rounds, and had performed a 180 to fight the fuzzy bunny off... only to sink into the soft sand beneath the Cupcake.

By a sheer chance of luck however, his hand slipped and bumped the DEPLOY button on the top of his right control lever as his mech tipped forwards into the sand, and deployed a hologram that he had forgotten he had had.

He had always thought that holograms were useless, well now, he had a new respect for them, as it simulated the Cupcake's destruction above his sandy confines, and saved him from the mercy of the Spree pilot.

He tried moving his Cupcake's arms and Shield Plates. The servos and joints strained against the weight of the sand burying the Cupcake.

How had he ended up in all of this_

it all started back in Prosk City. A month or so ago, which now seemed thousands of years away he had been assigned to guard the Prosk City 17 Sector A1-13. There had been an influx of refugees from outlying areas that had become contaminated with the Hawken Virus.

If these had been Sentium troops and invaders, he wouldn't of cared so much. He had fended off many raids from their rival corporation.  

But these people were not the enemy. They were simply trying to escape their own inevitable demise.

However, either that day, he was simply unlucky or cursed, 2 other Royal Guard pilots were also patrolling with him. And they didn't have the same degree of mercy he did. They simply ordered the refugees to return to hence they came from, and when they didn't, they were fired upon... why did they have to decide to lose their humanity that day_

Eldritch forced himself out of his fever dream. He wasn't going to let the past prevent him from doing his mission.

After a few fruitless attempts, the sand began to give. Then, he boosted out of the sand, reminiscent of Sheldon Cooper bursting out of a ballpit, only much more gracefully.

Landing onto the sand, Eldritch took a hasty look around. The annoying Spree that had rendered him useless had buggered off, probably to get reinforcements.

"Damn" He thought. If only I hadn't fallen into that-

Eldritch's eyes spun around to the 'hole' he had fallen into. Instead of being a mere pit, it was metallic, had a large hazard stripe pattern across it's center, and had a large depression where Eldritch tripped on it...

The pilot realised, instead of sinking into sand, he had tripped on an access hatch.

"Recon Unit 247, I've found something you might want to take a look at." He then added "and yes, I'm still alive."

PS: I'm Trying to get an elaborate backstory here, and If anyone could provide any tips on how to do so, that would be greatly appreciated.

PSS: Due to the above note, expect alot of retcons.

PSSS: I'm trying to make sure Callsign Eldritch does NOT become a Gary Stu. If that happened... *shivers :(

Edited by The_Eldritch_Abomination, March 28 2013 - 02:52 PM.

< TEXT-FIELD >

#44 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted February 22 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostSilentJacket, on February 22 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

breh, you just missed the part where I pulled your carcass from your mech already
Wait a second.. are you talking about J-

COMMUNICATIONS LOST

Edited by The_Eldritch_Abomination, March 05 2013 - 09:40 PM.

< TEXT-FIELD >

#45 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted February 22 2013 - 09:51 PM

^ out of likes
Posted Image

#46 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 10:07 PM

The comms blare to life once more,
"Recon Unit two-four-seven, I've found something you might want to take a look at," it was Eldritch, "and yes, I'm still alive."
Yipee, Dan sarcastically wished he had spoken aloud.  "On our way sir."

Upon reaching Eldritch's location, the team was met with a cupcake that looked like a giant had shoved it into the ground.
Dan couldn't help but grin at Eldritch.  "That's quite a hole you've dug yourself, sir," Piston blurted out,
"Bill, is there a procedure for something like this_"  A flurry of chuckles ensued, but was promptly cut short.
Dan gathered himself, "in all seriousness, what do you need us to do sir_"
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#47 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted February 22 2013 - 10:18 PM

Eldritch, upon hearing the Brommens Pilot's response (Dan, was it_) bluntly stated "we need to open this can, that's what."

Without warning, the Royal Guard fired a grenade from his launcher onto the dented hatch, causing the 2 smaller mechs to jump back, startled. It bounced for a moment, before exploding, showering the gang with sand, dust and bits of metal shrapnel, harmlessly pinging off their chassis.

"As you can see, If we simply fire at it one at a time, it won't budge." Eldritch continued into the radio "So, I'm thinking, perhaps if we all fired at once, we can perhaps open this thing up. Then we'll take a look at what's under it."

As if on cue, Eldritch's Grenade Launcher reloaded with a resonant CLUNK.

"So, on mark. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... MARK!"

PS: One of us, once this is finished, put it onto FanFiction.net or something.

Edited by The_Eldritch_Abomination, February 22 2013 - 10:41 PM.

< TEXT-FIELD >

#48 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted February 22 2013 - 10:36 PM

Keep going. One foot in front of the other. You have to keep going.

I can only manage a step every few seconds. The twisted remains of my Hiefram lay crumpled in a heap behind me, hemorrhaged fluids now pooled beneath it and sticking to my boots. If I had any energy left I might feel remorse, or shame, but none of that mattered now.

You have to get this message out.

With every step I hurt more. With every step my breathing becomes more ragged and heavy. With every step more of my blood rains onto the ground. With every step I draw closer to the commotion brewing outside. I can see light now - is that the entrance_ Who's out there, waiting to grind my flesh and bones to dust_ I am losing energy, fast. My last light on this abominate Illal grows ever darker. The emergency transponder falls from my grip - there is no energy left in my arms. I stumble, fall to a knee, and try to pick myself up. I can feel the hot wind and sand blowing through the garage doors, licking my face and sticking to the blood. The air leaves my lungs and I cannot pick myself up any longer. I see a heart-shaped silhouette lumber past and occlude my view for a moment. I think it turns to face me but I am not sure what I am seeing anymore. Something rolls me onto my back - and I feel a mighty pop as dying nerves frantically send their last signals.

What is this above me, now_ A man_ Another machine_

Whatever it might be, it leans down and touches a hand to my forehead. Then, a soft whisper - the last whisper I would ever hear:

"Rest now, for I will give you new life..."

Posted Image

#49 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 10:49 PM

Upon mark, Dan launches his HE charge to assist Eldritch.

Eldritch released from his confines.
Dan spoke, "now what, sir_"

Off-topic: I've got nothing to continue with, help me out.

#50 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted February 22 2013 - 11:04 PM

For the first time in a long time, Callsign Eldritch, the normally stoic, if sometime moody and quiet Royal Guard lieutenant  was actually angry.

"No! Not me you fool!" Eldritch roared into the radio."I'm already free, I was talking about that hatch!" ​He turned to face it as if he was angrily pointing at it.

After a few mintues of confusion, they finally managed to blow a 15 meter hole in the hatch. What lay before them, none of the could have imagined.

It was apparently a large metal lined shaft,  After scraping through, Eldritch and Recon Unit 247 finally could see it's immense scale.

It was easily over 50 metres in width, and 40 metres in height, with an incline of 45 Degrees, and on the right wall of this tunnel, was a seemingly intact cargo elevator.

"Well, any suggestions_" Grumbled Eldritch, he head still sore from being knocked around by Dan's HE Charge.

Edited by The_Eldritch_Abomination, February 22 2013 - 11:04 PM.

< TEXT-FIELD >

#51 Mackindale

Mackindale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 11:20 PM

Back on the rooftop, I peer down, seeing the cupcake I had shot down earlier certainly still alive. "Fuzz, must have been a hologram...", I mutter.
I watch them investigating some sort of metal thing on the ground before opening fire, launching double rounds of slugs and KE-SABOTs at them, watching their health fall away on my HUD. I duck behind cover, unable to finish them off before a hail of missiles and bullets storm past me, nearly taking off my head. "Whew." I press the comm button, radioing in. "HQ, I need backup pronto. My wingman was shot to hell and I'm all alone here I think. I'm finished if I can't get some cover."

#52 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 11:29 PM

off-topic: kinda confusing there, sorry, now back to the fan-fic!

"Get reinforcements," Dan queried hoping for agreement.
"Ah, nevermind," he stated to prevent further gawking. "We've still to engage the rest of the scavvies.  A Sentium Spree pilot is bad enough news as it is..."  Piston began to shuffle the feet of his mecha and started to sing, "we're no strangers to love..."

"Oh for the love of God, Piston, not now!"
"You know the rules-"
Right then, gunfire erupted with what could have been a sniper.
"Never gonna give you up," Piston kept on singing as he fought, dodging bullets as if he had suddenly been suddenly endowed with ungodly reflexes.

Then the gunfire stopped, Piston kept on singing and shuffling his mecha's feet.
Dan quickly evaluated the current state of the mission.  "Eld, we got to rush the sniper and call for reinforcements..."

Edited by Frouste, February 22 2013 - 11:37 PM.

#53 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted February 22 2013 - 11:41 PM

"Right. I'll lob a few grenades over there to keep the Spree suppressed, then you 3 will go over there and finish him off. Then after that, we call for reinforcements and bugger down that hole. It'll provide protection and it'll also be easier to hold off attackers in there."

Eldritch then fired his Submachine Cannon and Grenade Launcher, high velocity rounds slicing through the air and sea mines sailing onto onto the factory's rooftop providing precious time for the 2 Bezerker and Brommens pilots to scramble up there and finally neutralize the Spree.

There was a dull explosion, followed by the sight of an A class wreck falling through the air, landing with a crash onto the desert sand below, synchronizing with the clatter of the Submachine Cannon shells falling to the metal hatch below.

'Right, glad that's done..." Eldritch sighed, signalling for Prosk reinforcements as the gang and himself headed for the shaft.

Edited by The_Eldritch_Abomination, March 27 2013 - 04:36 PM.

< TEXT-FIELD >

#54 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted February 23 2013 - 12:25 AM

Meanwhile, at the bottom of the shaft! "Shaft!"

The team took a moment to enjoy the coffee which they had brewed up from the previous skirmishes...

"Sir, care for a cup," Piston shouted to Eldritch.  "Piston, he's an officer, he's probably not-" Bill began irritably until Eldritch brought forth a cup, "I stand corrected, my mistake."
Dan wasn't one to let a good moment to relax, not everything can be about war.  Dan's eyebrow perked up with a curiosity that he felt must be piqued, "anyone know where coffee ever came from_"  "I always thought it came from one of the colonies in Earth's star system," Piston responded.  Bill replied with, "it was just always there, I never really thought about it much, what 'bout you Dan_"  "I haven't thought on it until now, I thought you guys might know, but I guess not..."  A long six and a half minutes pass as the group chatters over the mysteries of their beverage and what not (I'm no Quintin Tarintino!) before they return to their respective mecha.

Edited by Frouste, February 23 2013 - 01:48 AM.

#55 Pirits

Pirits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama (USA)

Posted February 23 2013 - 12:36 AM

"You're project designation is 'Spirit' you work for Crion, and we'll be calling you 'Ghost' but if anyone else asks for a name tell them 'Pirits'. We're going to teach you how to fight."

This is my first memory, inside of a dull room with a bright light over the table I woke up on, looked like a mechanical workshop, bits and pieces of metal all about the place and a few humanoid bodies made of this same metal hung from a rack, like clothes, they looked well maintained.

After a moment or two a few men came in carrying what I now know are assault rifles and pistols. We talked, they didn't seem bad and over the course of the next few months they had me study on humans and human interactions, then the fun part, piloting. By this time I had learned that if I was ever to die I'd simply wake back up on this workshop table, as if nothing happened something these men seemed envious of. These men are some of Crions best in the field of artificial intelligence, officers all, they escaped and became a few of the herd of millions, taking up odd-ball jobs for the tyrannical Prosk and Sentium companies for money to keep me functioning, now I do their jobs for them, keeping them out of the line of fire. I am Pirits and I am A.I.-13, why thirteen, cause I am unlucky for those that would wish to go against Crion.

I did as I was told and today they all seemed excited as they tuned into the job offers and then all seemed off when they intercepted some radio noise and cleared it up, apparently a Prosk officer going by Eldritch as his common name found an old warehouse of ours. I was told to join their ranks with my Lima-Five boot and keep them from going anywhere too important with our stuff...

So I was air lifted as close as possible without setting off any known Sentium/Prosk agents, so it was a bit of a walk. But I made it in time to keep anything horrid from happening.

"Sergeant first class Pirits, I heard some commotion over the communications and headed this way as fast as possible. Any Sentium left lieutenant Eldritch_"
"What am I doing on top of this Sentium owned spire at a place we call Origin_ Hard-core parkour_ NO, I'm being a derpy chimera. OH! I can see my house from here."
​On a separate note - "Cover me, I'm commentating."
Spoiler

#56 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted February 23 2013 - 12:56 AM

Heading further down the shaft, the gang found that it was a series of interconnecting tunnels and chambers, like some sort of storage or manufacturing facility. Regardless of the fact that it was abandoned, Eldritch was still paranoid that they were being watched, maybe not by a someone, but by... something.

He quickly banished the cheesy, clique thought. The only true threat to them was if the tunnel collapsed on them- highly unlikely, given it's construction, and any Sentium forces following them.  

However, he was comforted by the presence of his teammates around him. For a man who normally worked alone, this was a strangely new experience.

"Hey guys, got any insights into this_" He whispered into the radio, as they trudged along the seemingly endless stretches of pitch black tunnel, cut through with swathes of light from their mech's floodlights, the incessant THUD THUD of the mech's footsteps reverberated off the walls. "Crion must of been onto something big. Do you think that the above factory was merely a guise for this_" he asked his teammates, trudging along besides him.

Edited by The_Eldritch_Abomination, March 27 2013 - 04:36 PM.

< TEXT-FIELD >

#57 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted February 23 2013 - 01:03 AM

"Not a fuzzy clue," Dan replied, " I honestly think we should get back to the outpost and have them call it in."

Edited by Frouste, February 23 2013 - 01:11 AM.

#58 Pirits

Pirits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama (USA)

Posted February 23 2013 - 01:11 AM

If ever there were a chance to blend with this mix up of Prosk now would be the time.

"Crion made the Hawken virus, perhaps they were working on other things as well_" He said catching up with the rest of the Prosk forces in the hallway.

To deceive one must gain trust he thought on lessons past...
"What am I doing on top of this Sentium owned spire at a place we call Origin_ Hard-core parkour_ NO, I'm being a derpy chimera. OH! I can see my house from here."
​On a separate note - "Cover me, I'm commentating."
Spoiler

#59 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted February 23 2013 - 01:29 AM

"Not a fuzzy clue." Replied Dan, his voice echoed around them cockpit. Upon hearing the Brommen's recommendation for checking back for reinforcements, they backed up, and found the initial shaft.

And they waited...

...and waited.

After what seemed like hours, the pilots decided that they were out of range, or their communications gear was malfunctioning. They headed back down.

After hauling ass through these catacomb like tunnels, the group arrived at their first obstacle since entering the tunnel- a large, multi-door gate, blocking the tunnel. On the right wall, what looked like a control panel stuck out awkwardly, like a giant had shoved a knife into the wall.

Eldritch exited his mech and ran over to the control panel. He stopped to examine it and cursed. It was placed awkwardly alright- someone had apparently enough strength to smash it up and pull it out of it's housing. He scurried back to the Cupcake.

This gate was definitely bigger and much more intact looking than the crummy, broken doors of the factory- a simple detonator wasn't going to cut it.  For a moment, the group looked like they were lost- until Eldritch remembered that Dan used to be a miner.

"Dan, you used to be a miner, so you'd have knowledge in demolition explosives right_ Could you find a way to work around this door_"

As Dan set to work on the door, Eldritch took the time to think...

*cue flashback

"What the hell are you doing_!" Shouted Callsign Eldritch as he jumped in front of C17 URB LOC 314's Vulcan, his Cupcake receiving a smattering of rounds as he shielded the fleeing civilians from his teammate, a Royal guard Commander assigned to Eldritch's unit.

"I'm doing my job, soldier" Callsign URB LOC 314 nonchalantly replied, as he briskly dashed around the Lieutenant. "Now get out of the way, you fuzzy bunny."

"And let MORE people die_ Does it look like a Sentium invasion_!" Eldritch yelled back at him, blocking his path once more. The Royal Guard Commander proceeded to ram the morally-confused lieutenant out of the way. Sprawled onto the ground, The hapless Royal Guard could only watch as more civilians were gunned down by the Cupcake in front of him, firing it's Vulcan like the Grim Reaper swinging his Scythe.

"NO! NO! NO!" Eldritch yelled in an articulate scream of rage and despair he scrambled his mech to it's feet and fired at his former friend.

The Royal Guard Commander was taken by surprise, his Cupcake toppled over and was sprawled onto the ground, like a fallen skyscraper. This attracted the attention of the other Royal Guard pilot in his unit, another Commander, who boosted over to the struggling pair and let loose with his Mini Flak-  

His resurfaced memories were promptly interrupted by the sight of the L5 Boot, standing right in front of him, and said simply said "any Sentium left, Lieutenant Eldritch_"

Edited by The_Eldritch_Abomination, March 27 2013 - 04:38 PM.

< TEXT-FIELD >

#60 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted February 23 2013 - 01:30 AM

Edit: bridging the gap between the setting of explosives to the boot sitting with us.

While working to set a series of explosive charges, Dan noticed a blip on his radar and turned to face it with guns at the ready.
When he had made the turn, there was nothing there, he stared on...
"What in the living fuzz_"

"What are you staring at," blurted Bill.  "Not sure, might be some mecha roaming these hallways..."
"They wouldn't stand a chance, we're the baddest bunnies on Illal," Piston bellowed with both enthusiasm and pride.
At that Dan's expression shifted, oh really now_  Then a sudden urge fell upon him, "I could really go for a slice of carrot cake..."  Bill's mech slowly turned toward the B-Class model, "what_ I can't help it if I get a craving!"

A figure began to materialize, a light mecha.  An older model perha- no, it's chassis is too clean, too new to be a venerable model.
Oh, hot fuzz, those are some guns...
Dan tilted his head to the side to call Eldritch, "uh, sir, I think we might have a bit of a problem here, SIR_"

Edited by Frouste, February 24 2013 - 01:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users