HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

I'm probably going to have to quit playing if I can't figure out how to cool my GPU

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationFilling caskets in NW US

Posted March 12 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostElix, on March 12 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

No problem. Basically, you were expecting too much out of your machine when it didn't meet the minimum specs. Unfortunately, Hawken's going to not look as pretty, but it's better for your fps and the long-term health of your machine to not push it too hard.
Actually, I didn't expect this machine to run Hawken at all. When I first installed it and it ran, I was pleasantly surprised and that magnified my excitement for it. I just never watched my temps and apparently the settings reset with the new patch was just too much for it. I have no problem running low settings if it means the games runs smoother although I love the graphics.

#22 Doldarius

Doldarius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 13 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostArnieF4440, on March 12 2013 - 02:56 AM, said:

For GPUs, 85 degrees is my personal limit, if you're going over that, then you're doing something wrong, or there's something wrong. But there are hardware limits also which depends on make and series also. Most CPUs and GPUs have a "T junction max", aka max temp before your rig shuts itself down. Its usually between 100 and 120 degrees for GPUs and its around 100 degrees for CPUs

No it's not 100 degrees for CPU's.  If you check amd's website or intels, you'll see they range anywhere from 65C to 80C for desktop chips.  Now the server chips, (Opteron and Zeon) yes they go to a little over 100F.  The desktop chips used to get to about 100C but not for many years.  Here's a top of the line core I7, only supposed to get to 67.4C  Hopefully no one kills their PC because of your comment.

http://ark.intel.com...-up-to-3_90-GHz

Sorry had to repost the link...the forum completely butchered it :D

Edited by Doldarius, March 13 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#23 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted March 13 2013 - 09:28 PM

Lol, most new computers have CPU overheat cutoffs built into the motherboard.  So if his board doesn't protect against CPU overheat, then it deserves to burn.  Burn enough nobos and the company will have to issue a recall and then they will probably add proper overheat protection to their future computers.

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#24 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted March 13 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostDoldarius, on March 13 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

View PostArnieF4440, on March 12 2013 - 02:56 AM, said:

For GPUs, 85 degrees is my personal limit, if you're going over that, then you're doing something wrong, or there's something wrong. But there are hardware limits also which depends on make and series also. Most CPUs and GPUs have a "T junction max", aka max temp before your rig shuts itself down. Its usually between 100 and 120 degrees for GPUs and its around 100 degrees for CPUs

No it's not 100 degrees for CPU's.  If you check amd's website or intels, you'll see they range anywhere from 65C to 80C for desktop chips.  Now the server chips, (Opteron and Zeon) yes they go to a little over 100F.  The desktop chips used to get to about 100C but not for many years.  Here's a top of the line core I7, only supposed to get to 67.4C  Hopefully no one kills their PC because of your comment.

http://ark.intel.com...-up-to-3_90-GHz

Sorry had to repost the link...the forum completely butchered it :D

Buddy, I'm talking about the "T Junction max" (aka T J Max), not the "recommended safe max temperature" (aka T case). T J Max is controlled by the motherboard and is set to default as 100 degrees (check your BIOS). Safe temps as you said are between 65 and 80 depending on make and series. And +1 to machmanx

Posted Image

Edited by ArnieF4440, March 13 2013 - 10:21 PM.

Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#25 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted March 13 2013 - 11:13 PM

The TM1/2 functions automatically step down your processor when they detect you're overheating in order to try and save the CPU without forcefully powering down the whole system for emergency overheat shutdown.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users