HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How to set refresh rate_

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Manoloco

Manoloco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 10:37 PM

View Postmachmanx, on March 25 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

The reason I asked for your system specs is mainly to see if you have an Nvidia or AMD graphics card and to see which OS you were running.  Also I just run assessments to see if it's worth spending my time finding a fix depending on the specs.  I don't want to do work for someone who has a low-end system not even meant for playing this game.

I tried scouring the internet, but I found few resources that may or may not help your situation.  The CRT is just not cared about by newer games simply because it's obsolete technology.  Does it mean that the LCD is superior than the CRT in every regard_ No, but I'm simply stating the way things are, otherwise you wouldn't be asking for help.

The only things I found were ways to force custom resolutions for your desktop via the Nvidia control panel.  But it doesn't work for games. So I guess you could run the game in a borderless, windowed mode and that way the game will most likely obey the desktop refresh rate.  Another thing I found is messing around with the monitor's EDID via the ini config and removing all the 60hz, 70hz, 72hz, and 75hz refresh rates for THE Resolution you run the game at.  This way the game will have no choice but to use whatever it sees first and that will be the 85Hz.  BUT messing around with this could damage your CRT if you don't know what you're doing, which means if you force a higher refresh rate at a particular resolution that your monitor cannot handle, then trouble occurs.  Newbish, amateurish stuff but spelling mistakes can occur.

But here's the kicker: IF Hawken is forcing a particular refresh rate at the application level, then doing the above will HAVE NO EFFECT!  I doubt they are, but just sayin' it's a possibility.  Finally I have this forum in which people there are crazy about forcing 120Hz on their games.  So if they're forcing 120Hz, maybe they can help you force 85Hz.  But they go on a game-to-game basis, so I don't know if they can do their magic for Hawken.  Anyway, register there and ask your question.  Might as well since they're more expert in this department than anyone here.  Speaking of, the link:-

http://120hz.net/forum.php

Basically the same solution i posted (force the refresh rate) but with another link to another forum and another take with the monitor ini, i do think forcing the refresh is a good way to resolve this until Hawken has the option ingame.

no need to wait for an answer in that forum, you should try it and see the result, just dont go over your monitor real refresh rate.

Edited by Manoloco, March 25 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#22 Morgenstern72

Morgenstern72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 12:53 AM

Thx for all the info. I will just wait until this option is provided, since I have no problem with any other game,

#23 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 07:49 AM

You could wait, but I'd rather you not hurt your eyes over this game.  As you know, your eyes are more important, especially to see this smiley ;) .  So yeah, if you don't want to mess with your monitor's ini config, then run the game in windowed mode with the borderless option checked.

Edited by machmanx, March 26 2013 - 07:50 AM.

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#24 Morgenstern72

Morgenstern72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 02:07 AM

View Postmachmanx, on March 26 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

You could wait, but I'd rather you not hurt your eyes over this game.  As you know, your eyes are more important, especially to see this smiley ;) .  So yeah, if you don't want to mess with your monitor's ini config, then run the game in windowed mode with the borderless option checked.

I will not play this game right now until I have this option. I surely will not hurt my eyes for a game :)

And it's not so easy with the inf file for the monitor: there is no easy way to edit it, WIndows 7 also does not use inf files any more, but reads the info directly from the monitor. The problem is, that a LCD/TFT has a standard resolution, which makes perfect sense, but they forced this to CRTs too, and the standard is always the highest possible, which is autoamtically the lowest possible refresh rate. Since ~99% of all games and video players offer to select your own resolution and refresh rate thats no problem.

And the few games that don't...well I do not have to play anything. Sure Hawken looks very nice, but not worth to hack around just because the developers did not incorporate this very simple option.

Thx for your help anyway :)

#25 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 11:07 AM

Oh no, I've dealt with editing ini files before, on Windows 7.  The reason was that a projector my friend had wasn't sending out the correct EDID information.  It's an Optima projector and a google search will show that some of these projectors were shipped with bad EDIDs.  So the Nvidia GT 240 it was hooked up to had issues using the projector at native resolution without over or underscanning.  Actually the problem was worse than that as colors were messed up too.  At first, before the google search we thought it was a bad video card, though it was like a week old at the time.  But after reading those forums I figured out how to edit the inis and got the video card to use the projector properly.

Long story short:  It can be done.  This projector was sending out an EDID and the video card properly read it.  It's just that the information included in the built-in EDID was WRONG.  So if I can do it, surely you can.  Depends on how much you want to play the game.

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#26 Morgenstern72

Morgenstern72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 11:10 AM

I would sure be glad to "delete" the low refresh rates forever. Could you point me to a specific thread in the forum or website you were gathering infos from_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users