HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

FPS Issues, how many have it_

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Bad FPS (120 member(s) have cast votes)

Who's got bad FPS_

1. I have it, with a mid/high end PC (66 votes [55.00%])

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

2. I have it, but I have a bad PC anyways (14 votes [11.67%])

Percentage of vote: 11.67%

3. No problems here (40 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Since when do you have it_

1. Raider Patch (11 votes [9.17%])

Percentage of vote: 9.17%

2. Open Beta Patch 02/12/13 (or somewhere around that time) (16 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

3. Since 02/12/13 Patch and it got worse with Raider Patch (11 votes [9.17%])

Percentage of vote: 9.17%

4. never (41 votes [34.17%])

Percentage of vote: 34.17%

5. always (41 votes [34.17%])

Percentage of vote: 34.17%

Do you have to play on mid/low graphics on a high end PC_

1. Yes (61 votes [50.83%])

Percentage of vote: 50.83%

2. No (39 votes [32.50%])

Percentage of vote: 32.50%

3. I dont have a good PC (20 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Kvalheim

Kvalheim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted March 27 2013 - 10:23 AM

I figured it was just because my laptop is a little overworked with me doing absolutely nothing in Finland, and was used to low FPS after a while in MWO. But then I noticed this is an Unreal Engine game (I'm pretty sure_ The console looked damn Unreal-y) and even the horrendously optimised SMNC runs reasonably at low settings on my machine.

I also noticed though the advanced settings window doesn't show any settings_ Is that normal or is my client bust_

Edited by Kvalheim, March 27 2013 - 10:24 AM.

Posted Image

<HKN://Sig-Process-01023 END

#22 Xen0sys

Xen0sys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted March 27 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostKazma, on March 27 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

not much entries in the poll, but it already doesn't look so good ...

What part doesn't look good_ The part where most people aren't investing in a high end graphics card for their high end PC and then complaining about FPS_

I'd also wager that the "I have a high end PC and bad FPS" is not an entirely accurate representation as many people will simply say they are lagging if they want to say they are lagging regardless of the reason.
Strive for perfection - you'll never reach it but you'll create great things along the way.

#23 Kazma

Kazma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationGermany - Leipzig

Posted March 29 2013 - 06:18 AM

awesome hawken ...
upgraded to 2 GTX660 and still need to play on low or mid graphics
Posted Image
pm me for hire :)

#24 Xen0sys

Xen0sys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted March 29 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostKazma, on March 29 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

awesome hawken ...
upgraded to 2 GTX660 and still need to play on low or mid graphics

What's the rest of your set up look like_ You should be easily maxed out but appear to be getting held back by something. (hard drive, cpu, & ram all play a role as well)
Strive for perfection - you'll never reach it but you'll create great things along the way.

#25 Kazma

Kazma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 08:02 AM

New Mobo Asrock 990FX Extreme3
AMD FX-8350, OCed to 4.6Ghz + Antec H2o 920
2x Nvidia GTX 660
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @1600Mhz
1TB Seagate HDD

It is not just me ffs, this has been happening since february for many people so it can't be a hardware problem
Posted Image

#26 Xen0sys

Xen0sys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted March 29 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostKazma, on March 29 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

New Mobo Asrock 990FX Extreme3
AMD FX-8350, OCed to 4.6Ghz + Antec H2o 920
2x Nvidia GTX 660
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @1600Mhz
1TB Seagate HDD

It is not just me ffs, this has been happening since february for many people so it can't be a hardware problem

If it is also not happening for lots of people (me), it is not a software (game) problem except to the extent that it might need to be more broadly optimized. In this case, SLI could actually be hurting you.

Get an SSD and update drivers. Perhaps you have power restrictions. Monitor to see if your GPU/CPU are being fully utilized.

Also, taking out one of your 660's could help as per the potential SLI optimization issue.

My hardware is gimped in comparison to yours yet I can run maxed out with minimal lag/FPS drops (except understandably in intense CQC with multiple mechs).

Edited by Xen0sys, March 29 2013 - 08:14 AM.

#27 Kazma

Kazma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 08:28 AM

I was playing with one GTX660 before!, and it was worse!
Drivers are up to date too
SSD would only help loading times, I have already tried to play with RAMdisk, no changes aside from loading times.

I really hope the dev's don't think like you, "he has lags, must be on his side, not the game"
Posted Image

#28 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted March 29 2013 - 09:03 AM

The poll is kind of open to interpretation as to how to classify a PC. I have no idea where mine sits. Then again, I'd have to dig through my email to see what my hardware actually is. I'm such a bad geek.

#29 Xen0sys

Xen0sys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted March 29 2013 - 10:13 AM

View PostKazma, on March 29 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

SSD would only help loading times, I have already tried to play with RAMdisk, no changes aside from loading times.

I really hope the dev's don't think like you, "he has lags, must be on his side, not the game"

All I'm saying is that somehow you are an exception to the norm. Monitoring the GPU/CPU clock speeds and temps during the game can help to determine if your hardware is being underutilized as it seems to be in your case. I'm running on a 660 ti at Ultra with physics enabled and up to date OS and drivers. My system is uncluttered and at most just has a tv tuner feed receiving/sending while I'm playing. (other specs: 8gb ram & phenom 2.5ghz triple core w/ standard 7200rpm HDD)

You're right that it would only really help loading times but some games utilize disk caches for graphical data (rage/skyrim for example) though I doubt Hawken does this. The SSD would help your OS run faster in the background though potentially if that is a bottleneck.

The devs undoubtedly do think something like this as this is just simple logical thought. You have better hardware yet I lag less; whats the difference_ Unless that question can be answered there is no way the devs can do anything about it. Honestly the most common sense answer has to do with how each of us interprets lag. Is yours scewed_ Is mine_ Can you use something like fraps to record your FPS_

The game runs well on most hardware making those for whom it doesn't run as well an exception. The differences and causes for the reduced performance have to be identified and then potential fixes have to be implemented.

#30 Kazma

Kazma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostFussyBadger, on March 29 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

The poll is kind of open to interpretation as to how to classify a PC. I have no idea where mine sits. Then again, I'd have to dig through my email to see what my hardware actually is. I'm such a bad geek.

hmm maybe I'll just open a new poll with a clear message that only players with high end pc's should vote

View PostXen0sys, on March 29 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

View PostKazma, on March 29 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

All I'm saying is that somehow you are an exception to the norm. Monitoring the GPU/CPU clock speeds and temps during the game can help to determine if your hardware is being underutilized as it seems to be in your case. I'm running on a 660 ti at Ultra with physics enabled and up to date OS and drivers. My system is uncluttered and at most just has a tv tuner feed receiving/sending while I'm playing. (other specs: 8gb ram & phenom 2.5ghz triple core w/ standard 7200rpm HDD)

You're right that it would only really help loading times but some games utilize disk caches for graphical data (rage/skyrim for example) though I doubt Hawken does this. The SSD would help your OS run faster in the background though potentially if that is a bottleneck.

The devs undoubtedly do think something like this as this is just simple logical thought. You have better hardware yet I lag less; whats the difference_ Unless that question can be answered there is no way the devs can do anything about it. Honestly the most common sense answer has to do with how each of us interprets lag. Is yours scewed_ Is mine_ Can you use something like fraps to record your FPS_

The game runs well on most hardware making those for whom it doesn't run as well an exception. The differences and causes for the reduced performance have to be identified and then potential fixes have to be implemented.
I haven't been watching my GPU/CPU with my current PC, but with the other one wich has almost the same specs aside from the second GTX660.
some menus in the game caused my GPU to go up to 100% utilization.
Uptown runs best, somehow, origin is worst of all for FPS
The HUD is dropping the FPS for ~20-30 FPS, I noticed this when repairing
overall the menu is driving the GPU crazy, as I said 100% usage...

this was all when I had a single GPU, I will be watching my current GPUs now what they do in game

As I said this has been happening since february patch, not only for me,
maybe these graphic effects they added at that time are causing this...It's still a beta game I guess :)
Posted Image

#31 Kazma

Kazma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 12:58 PM

oh and btw my laptop is having these problems too, running with a I7 (only 2.2Ghz) and a GTX660M with 10-30 frames at low graphics.
Posted Image

#32 Xen0sys

Xen0sys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted March 29 2013 - 01:15 PM

View PostKazma, on March 29 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

hmm maybe I'll just open a new poll with a clear message that only players with high end pc's should vote

A good idea but some kind of metric needs to be asserted. What are the minimum requirements for a PC to be qualified as high end_

View PostKazma, on March 29 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

I haven't been watching my GPU/CPU with my current PC, but with the other one which has almost the same specs aside from the second GTX660.
some menus in the game caused my GPU to go up to 100% utilization.
Uptown runs best, somehow, origin is worst of all for FPS
The HUD is dropping the FPS for ~20-30 FPS, I noticed this when repairing
overall the menu is driving the GPU crazy, as I said 100% usage...

this was all when I had a single GPU, I will be watching my current GPUs now what they do in game

As I said this has been happening since february patch, not only for me,
maybe these graphic effects they added at that time are causing this...It's still a beta game I guess :)

In the garage interface my 660 ti is running full "idling" at 55C - nothing is being done. The max temp I've ever seen was 64C. Clearly there is some optimization to be done for the menu interfaces but that shouldn't have any impact on gameplay.

In terms of Uptown vs Origin, it could have to do with texture differences. One map could have more detailed textures for instance.

It's a good thing that the GPU is using 100% of it's capability. There have been cases where someone's GPU was only going up to about 600/1000Mhz which is a pretty significant cap on performance. It turned out to be a power issue (the GPU wasn't getting enough power to maximize it's capabilities). I'm assuming you have a good PSU with such a nice PC but it should be around 600-700W+ just for reference.

Could you explain the HUD issue in more detail_ When repairing you are taken out of the HUD and after releasing, you are then taken back in. It lags and drops FPS for both of these events or just one_ If it is more noticeable when re-entering your HUD/cockpit after releasing repair then that would be something for devs to pick up on.

I can't speak fully for the details and this is just speculation but your card's memory bus may be limited. SLI synchronization may also make this more noticeable though you did mention this was noticed when not using SLI. To test the theory, you could OC your GPU's memory clock to see if it helps in loading information faster.

Depending on what manufacturer you got your card from, you can go to their site and download a nice OC/monitoring tool that you could watch on a secondary monitor (I do this - it's actually very useful). Playing around with the GPU settings within a small range isn't going to harm the GPU in any way.

View PostKazma, on March 29 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

oh and btw my laptop is having these problems too, running with a I7 (only 2.2Ghz) and a GTX660M with 10-30 frames at low graphics.

Laptops are generally set to be more power-conservative but again, monitoring the GPU usage/temps/mem clock and all that would prove useful in diagnosing potential pitfalls - game or hardware.

Could also always try a beta driver from Nvidia - sometimes they have more recent optimizations at the hardware level.

Edited by Xen0sys, March 29 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#33 Kazma

Kazma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 01:59 PM

I am currently testing, I noticed my SLI being turned off after I updated my drivers today lol,
currently playing with relatively good FPS on origin with Ultra graphics around 60 FPS, no Physx, sometimes it's still dropping to the lower 30's
However, both my GPU's had ~96-99% utilization in some parts of the menu, like syncing account

--> I forgot to say that the lags mostly start later, I now have more lags on origin again, same issues as before, changing to mid graphics doesn't change much about the frames, this is driving me crazy, what happened with the game :(

About my system being underutilized, I am not sure about that, GPU goes to ~40% - 60% while gaming.
I have set up hawken in nvidia config to prefer maximum performance and windows energy setting are on high too
Posted Image

#34 Xen0sys

Xen0sys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted April 01 2013 - 06:22 AM

View PostKazma, on March 29 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

I am currently testing, I noticed my SLI being turned off after I updated my drivers today lol,
currently playing with relatively good FPS on origin with Ultra graphics around 60 FPS, no Physx, sometimes it's still dropping to the lower 30's
However, both my GPU's had ~96-99% utilization in some parts of the menu, like syncing account

--> I forgot to say that the lags mostly start later, I now have more lags on origin again, same issues as before, changing to mid graphics doesn't change much about the frames, this is driving me crazy, what happened with the game :(

About my system being underutilized, I am not sure about that, GPU goes to ~40% - 60% while gaming.
I have set up hawken in nvidia config to prefer maximum performance and windows energy setting are on high too

Definitely odd about the spike when syncing accounts unless it's loading graphical data at the same time.

That's about where I'm at with Physx. If you have VSync enabled, it's going to keep FPS around 60 or less and also the 600 series has adaptive VSync so that could be coming into play here. Are you referring to the clock speed that remains at about 40-60% for other games_ There's a lot of different metrics you can monitor (mem utilization, mem clock speed, temps, etc).

You're performance level seems adequate from a playability standpoint which may be all Hawken can do at the moment in terms of optimization levels. Might not necessarily be using even high end hardware efficiently.

Edited by Xen0sys, April 01 2013 - 06:24 AM.

#35 Temperance

Temperance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 11:12 AM

I run everything Ultra with PhsyX on High and I really only have framerate issues when I'm in big fights (for obvious reasons).  That said it hasn't really affected my ability to play well and I run close to 50 frames when I'm not in heavy combat.

#36 Cyclonus

Cyclonus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 11:50 AM

The game has almost become unplayable again despite being on the lowest of settings and I can't play three matches without it overheating my computer. I'm quite sour about it.

Maybe it just me.

I use a Nvidia GeForce GT 525m

Edited by Cyclonus, April 29 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#37 Aptest

Aptest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 12:31 PM

View Postdavek1979, on March 23 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

Well boys, I have anything between 15 and 40 and my MMR still keeps rising. Jussayin'.

lol. I have such a low framerate that my entire play style revolves around making my opponent not dodge or circle-straff.

#38 Hundertmark

Hundertmark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 02:05 PM

The issue of the FPS jumping around is something to do with the physx particles. I had the physx on high and my computer would have high FPS at the begining of the match then it would slowly lag and eventually crash. I have the physx just on now and it runs but the FPS jumps around but never goes below 30. I have a EVGA 4Gb 670 Superclocked there should be no issue.

Edited by Hundertmark, April 29 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#39 Kulikov

Kulikov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 11:36 AM

I've got a great processor but a weak video card. The game runs fine (30-40) most of the time but every minute or so the framerate drops to 10-12, and it coincides with combat a lot. It's frustrating, and makes my most effective mech the Engineer.

#40 Pyrophile

Pyrophile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 09:11 AM

I suffer from pretty bad FPS, maybe about ~15 on average.

What really bothers me about it is that I don't get this while playing other games that also use the Unreal engine. In Blacklight: Retribution, I can easily get 50 FPS.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users