HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken: The Adventures of Illal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tman7919

tman7919

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationIn the garage with my Bruiser

Posted March 28 2013 - 08:46 PM

Find the document here.

This is a fan-fiction written by me and it has a lot of work to be done. I highly recommend reading the third chapter. This is supposed to be a collaboration of stories about people who live on Illal. This is a work in progress and there will be more content and fixes. By the way I am twelve so excuse plenty on twelve year old mistakes. Provide feedback (always appreciated no matter what it is)!
Update I: More content added to chapter three.

Edited by tman7919, March 31 2013 - 08:04 PM.

Bruiser or Bust! (Why do I have a raider in this picture_)
Posted Image
My Youtube With Hawken Videos   Hawken Fan-fiction

#2 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted March 28 2013 - 09:43 PM

You write surprisingly well for a 12 year old mate, +30 internets for you!

Right from the start however, you could use more descriptive language.
< TEXT-FIELD >

#3 tman7919

tman7919

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 08:41 AM

View PostThe_Eldritch_Abomination, on March 28 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

You write surprisingly well for a 12 year old mate, +30 internets for you!

Right from the start however, you could use more descriptive language.
Thanks for the feedback!
Posted Image

#4 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted March 29 2013 - 10:29 AM

Alright! Glad you finally got around to posting your fan fiction. I'm looking forward to the additional content and the continuation of the story.

It's tricky to pull off dialogue, but you manage to do it a lot better than many fan-fictions I've read! I honestly can't believe you are just 12! Great job, man!

Like Eldritch_Abomination said in his post, more descriptive language would help to flesh out the story more. Granted, it can be a bit boring writing up a bunch of descriptors for items and environments, but it helps to expand the world you are creating and makes for a more exciting read. However, there is a line between giving enough details and going over board and boring the readers. If you don't mind, I am going to take a section you wrote and rewrite it with a bit more descriptors as well as a few adjustments. Please don't be intimidated by it. I am not intending to overwrite your story. It's your story, you should write it how you see fit. I am only showing you an example. I hope it helps. Note: I edited a word and replaced it with "heck", but thats just for the forum filters. Stick with the word you used.

Your version:

[font=Verdana]“Stop! You are not allowed to exit prisoners. Go back.”[/font]
[font=Verdana]Reed looked at them with his jaw dropping. “You are telling me that you want us to go back into a living [/font][font=Verdana]"heck" [/font][font=Verdana]back there! You are insane!” Just then the metal wall that the guards were protecting blew into flaming pieces of hot metal. One of them had a large shard of metal find its way into their back. The other was knocked out.  When Reed looked at Quincy he had a piece of metal stuck in the bottom left part on his torso.[/font]

Now here is my version:

The guards snapped their assault rifles up upon seeing Reed and Quincy, the light from the ceiling lights reflecting off their rifle scopes. Two laser dots appeared on his chest and flitted to and fro, like a bee lining up a meal from a flower. One wrong move, and it would be one "heck" of a sting. "Halt!" the guard on the left yelled, "Prisoners are not allowed to exit the facility! Go back or we will use lethal force!" Reed looked at them, his face twisting incredulously. "You're kidding, right_! You're expecting us to go back to that living "heck"_! You're insane!" The guards shot a quick glance at one another. They hadn't ever faced a prisoner who had stood up to them like this when faced against such odds. They shifted their grip on their rifles and steadied their aim. The guard on the left opened his mouth again to speak, when suddenly the metal wall that they were standing guard over exploded in a shower of molten slag and shards of metal. A large metal shard lodged itself into the left guard's back. He arched his back, a look of shock on his face. His last words coming out as a series of stuttered gasps before collapsing to the floor. Another metal chunk slammed into the back of the right guard's helmet. With a bobbled twitch, the right guard slumped to the floor, unconscious. Reed threw his hands up over his face in an attempt to shield himself from the debris. Suddenly, Reed heard Quincy cry out in pain. He looked over, and saw a jagged piece of metal the size of a large bowie knife sticking out of Quincy's left torso.

Like I said, this is only an example.

I am looking forward to more of your work! Keep it up!!

Posted Image

#5 tman7919

tman7919

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostShadowGTR, on March 29 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

Alright! Glad you finally got around to posting your fan fiction. I'm looking forward to the additional content and the continuation of the story.

It's tricky to pull off dialogue, but you manage to do it a lot better than many fan-fictions I've read! I honestly can't believe you are just 12! Great job, man!

Like Eldritch_Abomination said in his post, more descriptive language would help to flesh out the story more. Granted, it can be a bit boring writing up a bunch of descriptors for items and environments, but it helps to expand the world you are creating and makes for a more exciting read. However, there is a line between giving enough details and going over board and boring the readers. If you don't mind, I am going to take a section you wrote and rewrite it with a bit more descriptors as well as a few adjustments. Please don't be intimidated by it. I am not intending to overwrite your story. It's your story, you should write it how you see fit. I am only showing you an example. I hope it helps. Note: I edited a word and replaced it with "heck", but thats just for the forum filters. Stick with the word you used.

Your version:

“Stop! You are not allowed to exit prisoners. Go back.”
Reed looked at them with his jaw dropping. “You are telling me that you want us to go back into a living "heck" back there! You are insane!” Just then the metal wall that the guards were protecting blew into flaming pieces of hot metal. One of them had a large shard of metal find its way into their back. The other was knocked out.  When Reed looked at Quincy he had a piece of metal stuck in the bottom left part on his torso.

Now here is my version:

The guards snapped their assault rifles up upon seeing Reed and Quincy, the light from the ceiling lights reflecting off their rifle scopes. Two laser dots appeared on his chest and flitted to and fro, like a bee lining up a meal from a flower. One wrong move, and it would be one "heck" of a sting. "Halt!" the guard on the left yelled, "Prisoners are not allowed to exit the facility! Go back or we will use lethal force!" Reed looked at them, his face twisting incredulously. "You're kidding, right_! You're expecting us to go back to that living "heck"_! You're insane!" The guards shot a quick glance at one another. They hadn't ever faced a prisoner who had stood up to them like this when faced against such odds. They shifted their grip on their rifles and steadied their aim. The guard on the left opened his mouth again to speak, when suddenly the metal wall that they were standing guard over exploded in a shower of molten slag and shards of metal. A large metal shard lodged itself into the left guard's back. He arched his back, a look of shock on his face. His last words coming out as a series of stuttered gasps before collapsing to the floor. Another metal chunk slammed into the back of the right guard's helmet. With a bobbled twitch, the right guard slumped to the floor, unconscious. Reed threw his hands up over his face in an attempt to shield himself from the debris. Suddenly, Reed heard Quincy cry out in pain. He looked over, and saw a jagged piece of metal the size of a large bowie knife sticking out of Quincy's left torso.

Looks like I have some editing to do. :)
Posted Image

#6 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted March 29 2013 - 03:45 PM

View Posttman7919, on March 29 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

View PostShadowGTR, on March 29 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

Your version:

“Stop! You are not allowed to exit prisoners. Go back.”
Reed looked at them with his jaw dropping. “You are telling me that you want us to go back into a living "heck" back there! You are insane!” Just then the metal wall that the guards were protecting blew into flaming pieces of hot metal. One of them had a large shard of metal find its way into their back. The other was knocked out.  When Reed looked at Quincy he had a piece of metal stuck in the bottom left part on his torso.

Now here is my version:

Looks like I have some editing to do. :)
Hey, don't worry about that! I often go back and edit my posts in 'A Windy Day on Illal' to iron out the inconsistencies and such. It takes some time alright, but if you have the time and patience to do so, it's actually quite rewarding. :rolleyes:
< TEXT-FIELD >

#7 Pirits

Pirits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama (USA)

Posted March 29 2013 - 04:46 PM

Hey why not put a link to this on Froustes' page to help the collection of War Stories grow_ It's a better story than mine.

Edited by Pirits, March 29 2013 - 04:48 PM.

"What am I doing on top of this Sentium owned spire at a place we call Origin_ Hard-core parkour_ NO, I'm being a derpy chimera. OH! I can see my house from here."
​On a separate note - "Cover me, I'm commentating."
Spoiler

#8 Kvalheim

Kvalheim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted March 30 2013 - 06:24 AM

Reminds me of a guy I used to RP with on WoW, was shocked to find out he was 12 after 2 months of playing with him.
Writing just gets better with time and practice.
Posted Image

<HKN://Sig-Process-01023 END

#9 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted March 30 2013 - 12:37 PM

<--  Raw talent_
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#10 tman7919

tman7919

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted March 30 2013 - 02:22 PM

View PostFrouste, on March 30 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

<--  Raw talent_
For what_
Posted Image

#11 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted March 30 2013 - 03:27 PM

Writing...  For whatever reason I'm not even sure if my works are even close to professional grade novels.  It does, however, feel/look/seem like it was well written... :unsure:
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#12 tman7919

tman7919

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted March 31 2013 - 08:04 PM

Update I: More content added to chapter 3
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users