HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Music - A Veterans Last Stand - Final Version

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 Funnydeath1

Funnydeath1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted April 12 2013 - 05:36 AM

With clear voice is better, and the song grow from nice to great :D
If you want some ideas for solos, listen also to Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page(led zeppelin), David Gilmour(pink floyd), Mark Knopfler(dire straits),  or Brian May(queen), they are my favourites and probably the best guitarist of all time
Can't wait for final version :)

You should also put it on youtube to have more visibility! Maybe someone will notice you! ;)

Edited by Funnydeath1, April 12 2013 - 05:39 AM.

Posted Image

#22 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted April 12 2013 - 09:03 AM

In terms of introducing a solo into the piece and considering the fact there isn't a guitar in it thus far, I would suggest bringing it in like the keyboard solo in Africa by Toto. In actuality I feel a keyboard solo could work just as well given the current direction of the song but guitar one could still work just as well. Check out These Chains by Toto as well, it's got a similar thing going on (solo coming in at 3:50 announces itself in a very dignified manner as it organically works up under the chorus), and complimenting the piano and strings throughout with a dabble of guitar would complete the whole thing for me. Having said that, it already has really nice sound to it so if you add some and its not working I wouldn't force it on the piece! ^_^

Posted Image

#23 CaseSwitch

CaseSwitch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted April 12 2013 - 10:28 AM

@subdivision: 100% agree.

#24 Pastorius

Pastorius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationUK: (In my castle talking to the Queen on skype)

Posted April 12 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostTazzGo, on April 11 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

View PostGookywun, on April 11 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

I hope the HWK team have had their listen to this, i can imagine them putting it in a future video...

I was just thinking the same thing XD

I would absolutely love that...

Thanks to TazzGo, Subdivision and CaseSwitch for your input once again. I love this forum and the creativity that it constantly emits. I see that Modius is enjoying the same input and feedback and his work is just unbelievable.

Anyways, I digress... Now I'm loving the idea of a piano solo (thanks Sub) and I have just the lady for that too. I know that whatever it is, it needs to be subtle and complement the track. I had pondered on the idea of the instrumental section being orchestrated as I can hear loads of brass lines underneath it (In fact I have added a very subtle one in the right ear if you listen carefully). Maybe a "Last Post" bugle call vibe would fit with the theme too_ (think Predator) There are so many ideas and I'm going to take my time with it now I think_ Also, I looked at some of the concept art and I really like the image of those pilots sitting on the mech, one with a beer bottle in hand_ I think it would be cool to see one of them with a guitar so I think I may have to record an acoustic version too.

Thanks again for the amazing input guys. you are all very cool. :)

Edit 23/04/13:

Also, I looked at some of the concept art and I really like the image of those pilots sitting on the mech, one with a beer bottle in hand. I think it would be cool to see one of them with a guitar_

Posted Image

Edited by Pastorius, April 24 2013 - 07:52 AM.

Posted Image

#25 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted April 12 2013 - 11:12 AM

Sounds like you have enough ideas for an album there mate ;)

Posted Image

#26 Pastorius

Pastorius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted April 16 2013 - 09:27 AM

Update: The Guitarist, the Piano player and I are recording on Friday evening and the song will be re edited, mixed and mastered over the weekend. Thanks for the support and the incredible feedback with this folks. I'll post the final version as soon as I can.
Posted Image

#27 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted April 18 2013 - 07:14 PM

Vocals are sounding heaps better indeed, especially the harmonies, those are great. If it is not too late I'd only possibly recommend a bit less bass 'fiddling'. I know how easy it can be to do this, trust me haha - I can instantly tell the song is written by a bass player though. Focus on really locking the simple bass parts in with the beats and working on the dynamics and staccato notes over playing little fretboard runs every couple of bars - save them for the right time and they will sound even cooler - especially those triplet parts! :)

#28 Pastorius

Pastorius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 08:41 AM

----- FINAL VERSION --- FINAL VERSION --- FINAL VERSION --- FINAL VERSION --- FINAL VERSION -----

Hello again folks :) I have just added the final version of A Veteran's Last Stand to the OP.

I have also made it available for FREE DOWNLOAD.

I hope you like it and, as always, please feel free to share your thoughts. I have really enjoyed this project and what I think is great, is that you can clearly see how far the track has come since I opened it up to this forum just ten days ago.

Thanks again to everyone that got involved. :D

Edited by Pastorius, April 21 2013 - 04:04 AM.

Posted Image

#29 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted April 20 2013 - 11:36 AM

I love it man. It truly has come a long way in short time. I'm glad I could be of some use, at least the couple hundred thousand constant hours I've spent listening to music over the years hasn't been a total waste ^_^ Well done to yourself and Katherine and Warren too. Brilliant stuff!

Posted Image

#30 Funnydeath1

Funnydeath1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted April 20 2013 - 12:20 PM

Great work man! Congratulations to you and your friends for this song! :)
I'm happy that i've been of some help and i suggest you again to put it on youtube so someone can notice your talent! :P
Posted Image

#31 TazzGo

TazzGo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationÉire

Posted April 21 2013 - 03:15 AM

Great work dude, pretty much exactly the kind of solo I was thinking of :D

Glad to have been able to give some input :) Keep up the great work!
Posted Image

#32 CaseSwitch

CaseSwitch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted April 22 2013 - 07:59 AM

nice work! all thumbs up for the final version!

#33 Modius

Modius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted April 22 2013 - 12:45 PM

Pastorius, absolutely stunning work and really a credit to your adoration of HAWKEN. Clearly a lot of love goes into your work and for a game to inspire such a piece is really encouraging, especially for me as a fellow musician and artist. Rock on dude!! :)
Posted Image

#34 OddCore

OddCore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 24 2013 - 09:49 AM

The game sounds at the end made me smile :)

It certainly wasn't what I was expecting. That's to say, I was expecting either heavy metal fit for battle or a slow, coldwave/darkwave/industrial sound, tribute to the awfulness of war.

I was wrong, and happy about it :)

This is better, if for no other reasons than because it is a tribute not to the game and it's world, but to the players. And the moments of awesomeness we all experience with a community as great as that of Hawken (Though I am biased, having the advantage of being in TAW.net and as such, having an even greater sense of a well-structured, fun loving, tight community).

A toast to you sir! May you always make music about the things that you love in life, and keep the gaming going!

#35 Stealth_303

Stealth_303

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted April 25 2013 - 09:48 AM

Love it Pasta!! It's awesome! :ph34r:

"...My Division by my side..."  :wub:

Always Brother!
Posted Image

#36 Pastorius

Pastorius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted April 28 2013 - 05:21 AM

Hey peoples, thanks again for all the kind words. Also, thanks to my fellow members of TAW and our illustrious CO StealthMist. You guys are the best and the EU Division Rocks!

It has meant a lot to hear from you Modius. Your sounds are very cool indeed and I’m already working on the lyrics you sent me. I can defiantly hear a joint project whispering in the winds of Illal.

Pause for thought...

Without giving my age away too much. When I was studying music at school and even into college, when the internet was still in the hands of the US Military and you needed a computer the size of a football pitch to process your bank statement (even if it did read 00000). When video games consisted of two vertical rectangles that batted a single pixel, 1cm in diameter from one side of a screen to another. When Star Wars films were good and Indiana Jones wasn’t old. When Bat Man was just a little bit too camp and Knight Rider was the coolest thing on four wheels. Well you get the picture…

Anyways, if we wanted to get a track listened to, it meant one of three things. A distribution deal, a record contract or getting on a radio stations play list. All of which took a lot of time and cost an awful lot of money. The point I’m trying to make is that in just two or three weeks this post has had 700+ hits (nothing by todays standard I know) and the track has been played on SoundCloud several hundred times by people all over the world. From Japan to Saudi Arabia and from Ireland to Canada and there are listeners in Australia, Denmark, Germany, Finland, France and Italy as well as the UK and the USA.

You gotta loves the interwebs :D

Check out this image from my SoundCloud stats:

Posted Image

The green areas are the places the track has reached.

On another note, one or two of you have asked that the track be uploaded to YouTube so I have added this to the OP and I have asked that if anyone would like to make me a real video for this track to please PM me and ill send you a re-mastered copy without the SFX.

That's it from me for the moment I guess. Thanks again for the support folks :)

Edited by Pastorius, April 28 2013 - 06:13 AM.

Posted Image

#37 LeafCutter

LeafCutter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire, England

Posted April 29 2013 - 05:36 AM

View PostPastorius, on April 28 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

I have asked that if anyone would like to make me a real video for this track to please PM me and ill send you a re-mastered copy without the SFX.

Get Stealth on this, he loves tinkering around with his suite of video editing tools :)

Posted Image

i7-3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene |  Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB | MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition OC | OCZ 256GB Vertex 4

http://www.youtube.com/leafcuttertaw

Looking for an organised HAWKEN clan_ visit http://TAW.net

#38 Scapes

Scapes

Former Community Manager

• Alpha Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 01 2013 - 09:31 AM

A very belated reply to this thread: fantastic collaboration! Really cool to see it come together in stages.

Expect to see it on our social media channels this week. <3
"Nothing reveals humanity so well as the games it plays."

#39 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted May 01 2013 - 10:28 AM

Haha! Listening to this now, you guys are awesome :D

Posted Image

Hawken EMP Youtube Channel ~ Watch Previous Episodes Here

And unto us a clan is born...

"May all our assists be critical and all our kills be stolen. Amen"

#40 Riflebird

Riflebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 12:00 PM

That song was positively awesome! You captured the feel of Hawken completely. I kind of wish there was an in-game bar where all the pilots could hang out in between bouts of murdering and gunplay.

Anyway, great job! You get a cute anime kid thumbs-up!

Posted Image

You Deserve It!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users