HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How to play hawken on linux.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Tiggum

Tiggum

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 07:51 PM

EDIT 5JUL2014: As of todays date this guide should be fully functioning

Hi all, I just started playing Hawken and it kind of irked me that they didn't have a version for Linux so I decided to see what i could do and the results are satisfying.

I use PlayOnLinux mainly because it makes my life easier, if you want the more direct wine guide PM and i'll tell you what you need to get it running because i'm lazy and i don't want to type two separate guides.

1. First things first, we need to get to download a patched version of wine through POL. TO do that you need to go to Tools > Manage Wine Versions > Wine Versions (x86) > 1.7.14-imm33_bug35361

2. Next you need to go to Install and install steam seeing as hawken no longer uses its own launcher.

3. Follow through the installation guide for steam and following its instructions.

4. Now we need to configure the wine install to actually play the game properly. To do that you need to go to Configure > Steam > Install Components.

5. From the list go ahead and install these components.
  • d3dx10
  • d3dx11
  • d3dx9_36
  • d3dx9_43
  • physx
  • xact
6. Click the Wine tab and then press the Configure Wine button to open a small window. This lets make some last minute optimizations.

7. Under the Applications Tab go ahead and change the windows version to Windows 7. Then under the Graphics Tab go ahead and check the 1st and 4th boxes. The screen resolution box should stop being grayed out. Go ahead and place your desktop resolution in those boxes and then exit out of the configuration. Mine for example would be 1920 x 1200.

8. Now go back to the general tab and select 1.7.14-imm33_bug35361 as your appropriate wine.

Hopefully this should work for everyone, if it doesn't go ahead and reply and i'll try to figure out the issue. To run the game go ahead and launch it from POL or from your desktop.

Edited by Tiggum, July 05 2014 - 09:27 PM.

#2 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted May 09 2013 - 07:55 PM

Sounds good. There was another thread that had some success on getting Hawken to work, but I don't know if it's been followed up on with the recent updates.

Just remember, everyone, running Hawken on Linux is unsupported, so you won't get help from the devs if it doesn't work.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#3 OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • Locationsomewhere beyond time and space (-5 GMT)

Posted May 09 2013 - 08:02 PM

Interesting... Very interesting....

because bow ties are cool

#4 Tiggum

Tiggum

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostElix, on May 09 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

Sounds good. There was another thread that had some success on getting Hawken to work, but I don't know if it's been followed up on with the recent updates.

Just remember, everyone, running Hawken on Linux is unsupported, so you won't get help from the devs if it doesn't work.

Yea getting this game to work perfectly on linux is a bugger. An issue i had to deal with earlier was sound not working, the now laggy menus, and the patcher crashing. Thankfully though it's nothing game breaking and it seems to occur on windows itself too.

#5 Xanderq

Xanderq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 12:49 AM

Waiting for Linux version of game!

#6 Nerdsinc

Nerdsinc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationBehind you.

Posted May 12 2013 - 04:22 PM

I run Hawken on Wine too.. And it's working fine :D

~Once a Swordie, always a Swordie~

I miss the ol' Nostale Days...

#7 Lone_Deranger

Lone_Deranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 06 2013 - 07:37 AM

I have a few problems the most annoying of which is the first one.
  • If I run Hawken in a Virtual Desktop (Wine Setting) then it is not maximized. The Virtual Desktop is set to my fullscreen resolution of 1920x1080. Hawken only uses a portion of it in a window. Hawken's resolution is set to 1920x1080.
  • If I run Hawken without the Virtual Desktop, it creates a screen which is larger than my actual screen. If the mouse touches the borders, my desktop becomes visible and part of the game is moved off-screen.
  • Hawken completely bypasses sound control. If I mute the system, Hawken can still be heard and it is always at max volume. Only the internal slider under settings work.

#8 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted October 06 2013 - 07:45 AM

What are your specs and how is the performance_

#9 Lone_Deranger

Lone_Deranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 06 2013 - 07:48 AM

I have an AMD X4 Phenom 965 and a Nvidia 570 and 8GB Ram. Nvidia Driver 325 and PlayOnLinux 4.2.1. 3D Performance seems to be good. However, I could test it for very long because of said issues.

Edited by Lone_Deranger, October 06 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#10 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted October 06 2013 - 08:05 AM

I wish hawken ran native on linux. Hopefully with valve and steamos, things might change..

I can just imagine HawkenOS.. boots straight to the hawken login screen :)

#11 `discoBiscuit

`discoBiscuit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted December 14 2013 - 04:44 PM

Wow, thank you for this guide. I've recently just switched to Ubuntu 12.04 (which was probably a bad move.. should've gone with 13 but oh well) and I was having a difficult time getting it to run in just plain old WINE, and crossover as well as PlayOnLinux. It would always just crash after the launcher would update. But with your applied settings it's actually currently downloading! I'll come back later and post results once the download is actually finished.

#12 `discoBiscuit

`discoBiscuit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 09:59 AM

Update: 12/15/2013 This guide still works. Performance hits are null, Sager NP6370

CPU: i7 3630QM
GPU: 660M Integrated
RAM: 8 GB

Thank you again for this guide, Hawken runs flawlessly!

#13 evan1010

evan1010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted January 05 2014 - 07:43 AM

I am running PlayOnLinux 4.0.14 on xUbuntu 12.04 64bit. I do believe that I have used all of the appropriate versions of Wine, DirectX, etc. that that above guide states.
However, while the installation and subsequent download went smoothly, whenever I attempt to "lauch" the game from the laucher, the launcher disappears momentarily then reappears - unchanged - without actually initializing the game. Is there a console that I may open to gather further detail on what exactly my problem is_ Or has anyone else encountered this issue, and resolved it_
Thank You.

#14 Tiggum

Tiggum

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted July 05 2014 - 04:49 PM

I HAVE ARISEN ONCE AGAIN!

I stopped playing hawken roughly a month after I posted this mainly because none of my friends played it and It got pretty boring playing this by myself. Alas, my friends started playing this again and as such I feel that since so much has changed in a years time that i should update the guide.

Thankfully my guide is for the most part correct :P. There's a special feeling knowing that there's the top post on google for how to play hawken on linux and the knowledge that not only is that your guide but also that you don't really have a clue what you're doing.

#15 eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationEast

Posted July 05 2014 - 08:14 PM

Anybody still run this under linux_ What distros and graphics cards/cpu are you using_ Performance information_
[My MMR]
[Who is streaming HAWKEN right now_]
[Hawken Wishlist 2014.09.11]:
Spoiler

#16 Tiggum

Tiggum

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted July 05 2014 - 09:29 PM

Just played a few games with my friends. The performance seems pretty solid and feels as it does under windows. My gfx card is the 670 Ti.

One issue that I seem to have found was the inability to turn to the left or right very far. The issue seems to only be when running fullscreen so i need to test some more configuration options to see what i can do to fix the issue.

#17 RealTree63

RealTree63

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 13 2014 - 02:38 PM

When I go to steam to download Hawken it only tells me that it's not available for my platform and doesn't give me an option to install.

#18 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted September 13 2014 - 03:55 PM

View PostRealTree63, on September 13 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

When I go to steam to download Hawken it only tells me that it's not available for my platform and doesn't give me an option to install.

Since the migration to steam, I'm afraid that this isn't easily done.

They are side loading it buy copying it from a windoze install.

Edited by SS396, September 13 2014 - 04:00 PM.

# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#19 M4st0d0n

M4st0d0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted September 13 2014 - 03:59 PM

OP updated in july and said it was still possible. This thread needs to be pinned. Or necro'd every month, like my sex life.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users