HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

mini guide to snipers.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Exania

Exania

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationsweden

Posted June 14 2013 - 07:49 AM

Good day pilots. My name is Exania and im a sniper focused pilot.

Im writing this to maybe help out the ''new'' pilots that want to try the sniper option. and maybe even some of you more advanced pilots will find this usefull.

okey we know that there are 2 snipers the smaller (reaper) and the larger (sharpshooter). one could say that there are 3 snipers if you count the rocketer as well but I would call the rocketer more of artilery then sniper.
so I am only going to focus on the two I call snipers.

before I go in on the differens of the two I want to give some general tips.

one of the things I see to often is snipers finding a spot and staying there. that is one of the bigest misstake a sniper can do. that only makes you a vary easy target. if the enemy know were you are you are as good as dead.

move around. and I dont mean dance on the spot. im meaning be mobile I usely find my self only shooting 2-4 shots on the same spot then im moving. (even if I have not killed my target).

pick your shots. there are always plenty of enemys to shot at but shoting agenst all and everything is not realy a good option. leav the ''harras everyone in sight'' to the suppressors and artilery. you are a presise assassin never forget that.

so if shoting all and everything is ''bad'' what do I shot_
my main target is always the technician. enemys that flee is also good targets sens then the main force dont have to have one or two brake off and hunt them down, and in doing so leaving the rest in the main force more vulnerable. focus targets is also good targets help the main force to take down a C-class only after you have killed the technician (if theres one ofc).

focus your fire ''always'' if there is more snipers in your team try and comunicate with them so you can fire on the same target and bring it down more quick. for example if two sharpshooters fire on a type A-class at the same time it mostly is an instakill. which takes away the option of being dodged and missing that last hit before the target go around a corner or behind a wall.

okey that was a little in over all. I could probebly go on with more but I am actually trying to keep this as short as I can.

now a little on the two types.

The Sharpshooter. an type B-class. (the Defender).
I have found this one to be used best on larger maps. and due to its slower speed and more firepower a more effectiv defender/guardian then hunter/attacker.
so what do I mean by being a defend/guardian_
defending chokepoints and your team technician. defending a shokepoint is tricky and not something I would recomend focus on. defending your team technician I found is a better way to help your team.

if the enemy wanna kill your tech they will feel pain.

The Reaper. an type A-class. (the Hunter).
I found this to be a good mech in small hit and run, ambush teams and flanking groups.
its speed and medium damage makes it a good hunter/attacker. which makes the reaper an exelent anti sniper mech.
anti sniper_
an zomed in sniper can only focus on a small area. hit the sniper from a good distance and get there attention can help a flanking force to get close enough to obliterate the enemy, without them have to think about that annoing sniper which is making it harder to get close enough.

you can make it a little easyer for the team.

I think that is all without making this to long. im no pro in any way I just want to try and help in a way I found alright. I am thinking about writing an extended one with more precision. if this have helped you let me know so I dont write an extended one and it dont help anyone.

Edited by Exania, June 15 2013 - 03:35 AM.

Master of the unseen.

#2 Charcoal

Charcoal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationUS West

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:10 AM

If you are playing a team objective game, be willing to get in the circle or silo.

If you are unwilling to risk the circle or silo capture because you are a 'Sniper' you will be tagged as a bad teammate eventually.

Sometimes conditions dictate that teammates go outside the comfort envelope of their 'role' to help ensure a team win.
Posted Image
                            BSB Charcoal

#3 Exania

Exania

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationsweden

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostCharcoal, on June 14 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

If you are playing a team objective game, be willing to get in the circle or silo.

If you are unwilling to risk the circle or silo capture because you are a 'Sniper' you will be tagged as a bad teammate eventually.

Sometimes conditions dictate that teammates go outside the comfort envelope of their 'role' to help ensure a team win.
yes ofc a sniper cant always ''snipe'' they have to use there good judgment to when sniping is the option and when its not. I wrote this to help out with the sniping part and not the ''big picture''. ty for helping me clear that I might have missed to clarify :)
Master of the unseen.

#4 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted June 14 2013 - 09:00 AM

Sniper, the Hawken point and click adventure.
Call me Nos.

#5 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 09:25 AM

View PostN0stalgia, on June 14 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

That people somehow fail miserably at despite calling it easy

#6 Flapjacks

Flapjacks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationKnee-deep in A mech pieces

Posted June 14 2013 - 10:25 AM

Snipers are buttmunches.

End post.
Flapjacks

"Boomshooter" - Lvl 14 Raider
"Chunk-chunk" - Lvl 13 Reaper
"Puny Mortal" - Lvl 15 Brawler

#7 Exania

Exania

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationsweden

Posted June 14 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostRedVan, on June 14 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

View PostN0stalgia, on June 14 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

That people somehow fail miserably at despite calling it easy
well that might be because playing a sniper is not easy. aiming and hitting is easy but thats something different. ^^
Master of the unseen.

#8 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 01:30 PM

Nostalgia's guide to playing sniper:

1. Everything's the same as other B Class mechs.
2. Point and click adventure.
Call me Nos.

#9 GodsHolyMember

GodsHolyMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostExania, on June 14 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

mini guide to snipers.

(Disclaimer - Nothing mini about it)

Edited by GodsHolyMember, June 14 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#10 Exania

Exania

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationsweden

Posted June 14 2013 - 03:23 PM

View PostGodsHolyMember, on June 14 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

View PostExania, on June 14 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

mini guide to snipers.

(Disclaimer - Nothing mini about it)
how do you mean_
Master of the unseen.

#11 Wondrz

Wondrz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:13 PM

View PostN0stalgia, on June 14 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

Nostalgia's guide to playing sniper:

1. Everything's the same as other B Class mechs.
2. Point and click adventure.
Meh im not a point click adventure when i go reaper, i use slug on it but even then i charge at enemies dodge move out take hits and they barely even land a pack of bullets on me, meh sharpshooter is boring and easily dies no matter what,
1. got killed by a SS
2. flank enemy as inf
3. get into position as he is in scope
4. EMP+Full charge EOC + full nade and the EMP was direct hit so its 7 secs (Can be done with other mechs and weps but i prefer A's since there smaller and can get out of the wreck of the dead sharpshooter faster.
5. repeat step 4 without the EMP
6. Troll him with a taunt , PROFITTTT
7. (Only in siege or MA , mostly siege) go back to AA and help your team.

hueheueheuehueheuheuheheuehuehue. lol_...

Edited by Wondrz, June 14 2013 - 08:14 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Exania

Exania

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationsweden

Posted June 15 2013 - 03:42 AM

okey so im thinking of writing an extended guide. is that some thing I should do or would it be a waste of time_ if this small guide have helped you plz let me know. I dont wanna write an extended one and no one would find it usefull.
Master of the unseen.

#13 Wondrz

Wondrz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted June 15 2013 - 03:51 AM

Yes your guide is quite fine, try making something else, there is already one for infiltrator (Infiltrator 101) so maybe for another class. but not for SS, SS is move around / camp in one spot, take out weak targets, kill / focus down technicians, help allies from far away.
Posted Image

#14 Preternatural

Preternatural

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationLurking in the Tunnels of Origin

Posted June 15 2013 - 04:17 AM

Snipers are like my mortal enemy...I can't sharpshoot worth a fuzzy bunny, but apparently some people can.

I die horrible deaths to those people. <_<
Posted Image

#15 Wondrz

Wondrz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted June 15 2013 - 05:38 AM

*In middle of fight, about to own the faces of of someone who inevitably fell into my trap*
*Get sniped before i kill him*
*See who kills me, readies up infiltrator to the max pro skills*
*Says in chat ____ your goin down!*
*Sneaks behind him, owns with EMP and EOC+Nade*
*Taunt and troll in chat*
*Re-spawns as im typing, Pew pew power shots me*
*Ragequit*
Posted Image

#16 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted June 15 2013 - 06:16 AM

View PostExania, on June 15 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

okey so im thinking of writing an extended guide. is that some thing I should do or would it be a waste of time_ if this small guide have helped you plz let me know. I dont wanna write an extended one and no one would find it usefull.
May as well just add yours to the existing SS tips and tricks thread. Search for it or look in the sticky post that links good threads, think its in there

#17 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted June 15 2013 - 07:53 AM

I still want the Sabot to be a projectile weapon.
Call me Nos.

#18 Exania

Exania

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationsweden

Posted June 15 2013 - 09:17 AM

View PostRedVan, on June 15 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

View PostExania, on June 15 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

May as well just add yours to the existing SS tips and tricks thread. Search for it or look in the sticky post that links good threads, think its in there
ty :)
Master of the unseen.

#19 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted June 16 2013 - 02:23 AM

View PostN0stalgia, on June 15 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

I still want the Sabot to be a projectile weapon.

Won't make a difference really, in terms of making it more difficult. It would have to be a super fast projectile to be worth while. At close and mid range it would be fast enough it would act like a hitscan, and long range would require such minimal lead, nobody good with it now would have a problem adjusting for the hair.

All it would do is make the weapon more ping dependent, which would be bad

Edited by RedVan, June 16 2013 - 02:24 AM.

#20 Wondrz

Wondrz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted June 16 2013 - 03:08 AM

240 sabot is already like a projectile, already have to lead shots but meh play EOC infil and technician
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users