HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

What was the game that got you into PC gaming_

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 07:35 AM

ACE on Commodore 64

Now THAT, was a good game!

Edited by RedVan, September 29 2013 - 07:36 AM.

#82 Seburo_

Seburo_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast RMT

Posted September 29 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostTorchcamp, on September 26 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

I was really young when I got into computer-games, mostly because my dad was really interested in it. I can't really re-call the name of the first game I played but it was some crazy fuzzy bunny. It was some kind of a racing game (where you drove a motorcycle in 3rd person perspective) and could fight the other bikers / the police with weapons. But other than that I played a lot of other games. The ones that really got me into gaming was probably GTA 1, Warcraft 1 and 2, Counter-Strike (was around 1.2-1.3 I started but mostly played in 1.5) and Diablo 1. These games were so awesome and I have played them several more times over the many years since they came (and of course the follow-ups).

I just wish they made such awesome games now a days :( Blizzard that was my favorite gaming company of all time, always providing quality games that really felt like they poured all their heart and energy into has now become a fuzzy bunny company like most other gaming companies. It feels like all the gaming companies now a days promises so much and they can't deliver (or do it like Ubisoft, promise fuzzy bunny they don't fulfill and then just let the game die since they already cashed in). I'm not saying that all of them are like this, but a lot are... It has started to feel like a really bad trend has started over the last several years and I find it hard trusting anyone that promises that they will release good stuff. Feels more like they promise to do things that are out of their reach (or they don't try hard enough) but it doesn't matter since they have already earned enough money to start a new project, since it doesn't matter if they piss off a ton of people because others that don't have a clue will still buy their new games.

Well well, rant over, hopefully it gets better!
Wouldn't happen to be this game would it_ good times...
Losing his grip on reality..._
I have seen it estimated...somewhere between death and birth.
That there are now 3 thousand million people living on this earth.
And the stockpiled mass destruction of the nuclear powers that be.
Equals for each man or woman 20 tons of TNT.

#83 Torchcamp

Torchcamp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted September 30 2013 - 12:33 AM

View PostSeburo_, on September 29 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

View PostTorchcamp, on September 26 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

I was really young when I got into computer-games, mostly because my dad was really interested in it. I can't really re-call the name of the first game I played but it was some crazy fuzzy bunny. It was some kind of a racing game (where you drove a motorcycle in 3rd person perspective) and could fight the other bikers / the police with weapons. But other than that I played a lot of other games. The ones that really got me into gaming was probably GTA 1, Warcraft 1 and 2, Counter-Strike (was around 1.2-1.3 I started but mostly played in 1.5) and Diablo 1. These games were so awesome and I have played them several more times over the many years since they came (and of course the follow-ups).

I just wish they made such awesome games now a days :( Blizzard that was my favorite gaming company of all time, always providing quality games that really felt like they poured all their heart and energy into has now become a fuzzy bunny company like most other gaming companies. It feels like all the gaming companies now a days promises so much and they can't deliver (or do it like Ubisoft, promise fuzzy bunny they don't fulfill and then just let the game die since they already cashed in). I'm not saying that all of them are like this, but a lot are... It has started to feel like a really bad trend has started over the last several years and I find it hard trusting anyone that promises that they will release good stuff. Feels more like they promise to do things that are out of their reach (or they don't try hard enough) but it doesn't matter since they have already earned enough money to start a new project, since it doesn't matter if they piss off a ton of people because others that don't have a clue will still buy their new games.

Well well, rant over, hopefully it gets better!

Holy fuzzy bunny man. That's the game I was talking about! Really cool that you found it, I just kind of remembered how it looked in my head but never what the game's actual name was :D

#84 ThreadbareGames

ThreadbareGames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted October 01 2013 - 10:47 AM

STARCRAFT! That map editor was amazing!

#85 Stygota

Stygota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted October 01 2013 - 05:09 PM

Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar, played on an Apple IIc off blazing fast 5.5-inch floppies.  Monochrome black-and-white - no color monitor.

Also, Infocom interactive fiction such as Cutthroats, Zork, a few others.  Also played Ultima III: Exodus on floppies.  Rounding out this wonderful group of games was Star Trek: The Kobayashi Alternative on floppies.  I still have the original hard-bound manual with the spiral binding on the interior.

Edit:
I realize on a number of posts I may sound like a gaming yuppie or hipster.  It's not the case; I was just lucky enough to enjoy vintage games the way Digital Jesus intended - with vintage hardware and without the Internet.  Thought I'd add this here, since it stuck out as an egregious example of possible "looking down the nose"-edness.

Edited by Stygota, October 02 2013 - 02:47 PM.

Wnat a cheap new lease mech_

Posted Image

#86 Seburo_

Seburo_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast RMT

Posted October 02 2013 - 11:22 PM

View PostTorchcamp, on September 30 2013 - 12:33 AM, said:

View PostSeburo_, on September 29 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

Holy fuzzy bunny man. That's the game I was talking about! Really cool that you found it, I just kind of remembered how it looked in my head but never what the game's actual name was :D
Lol I had a feeling from how you described it. :lol: They made some pretty funny games back then. ....One of my favourites. Every night I pray to bhudda,jesus,odin and juju simultaneously that theyll bring this back from the crypt somehow....somehow. Answer my prayers oh lord! :(

Edited by Seburo_, October 02 2013 - 11:28 PM.

Losing his grip on reality..._
I have seen it estimated...somewhere between death and birth.
That there are now 3 thousand million people living on this earth.
And the stockpiled mass destruction of the nuclear powers that be.
Equals for each man or woman 20 tons of TNT.

#87 Teljaxx

Teljaxx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationIn the thick of 8;;8

Posted October 04 2013 - 12:02 AM

I think that the first video game, let alone computer game, that I played was Gumball on my family's first computer ever, an Apple II. And I have been primarily a computer gamer ever since.

I also currently have about nine gigabytes of DOS games installed on my computer that I regularly play with DOSBox. :D
Always on the move / My trigger finger itches / If it moves, shoot it!  Posted Image8;;8

#88 Hell_Tigris

Hell_Tigris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationFort Drum, NY

Posted October 05 2013 - 12:39 PM

It was all about Sega Genesis, NES, SNES, N64, and PlayStation 1, then Half-Life arrived! I've been primarily a PC gamer since November of 1998.

#89 tektzby

tektzby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationFar far away

Posted October 05 2013 - 01:07 PM

Arkanoid sinclair ZX spectrum

Edited by tektzby, October 05 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#90 Magnolia1038

Magnolia1038

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationThe Pen Is Mightier Than The Axe

Posted October 05 2013 - 01:46 PM

When I was only around 5 or 6 years old my older cousins in San Antonio would play X-Wing, Wolfenstein 3d, Rise of the Triad, and Doom all night long while I would watch. I was so entranced by the gameplay that I was hooked for life. A combination of games, I know, but they all equally contributed to my addiction :D

#91 Ysenberg

Ysenberg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted October 10 2013 - 09:24 AM

hi Guys...hehehe

I got my first PC in 1991. The first game on it was Wing Commander 1.
I still remember configuring EMS memory for the first time^^
That game got me SO hooked - i still have all the original pieces on my shelf. The entire series with blueprints and all ;)

Ysen

[font=times new roman', times, serif]O Lord, bless this Thy holy grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy.[/font]

[font=times new roman', times, serif]  Grenadiers do it around the corner...^^ [/font][font=comic sans ms', cursive]W[/font][font=comic sans ms', cursive]andering guns #103: [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ysenberg[/font][/font]

#92 AngryPie

AngryPie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 14 2013 - 02:31 PM

The first game i played on the PC is Warcraft 3,C&C 2,C&C Red Alert and then my life ended with WoW...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users