HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Linux OS for HAWKEN_

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 GeneralTaz

GeneralTaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 20 2012 - 08:29 PM

I am a Linux user and would like to know is this going to work for me

#2 L3apyearmonkey

L3apyearmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted September 20 2012 - 09:09 PM

Well unfortunately unreal 3 (which he game runs off) doesn't support linux, only windows and mac as well as consoles. It'll be on onlive however so if you are in the US/Europe and you have good internet you might be ok.

Edited by L3apyearmonkey, September 20 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#3 iLeamare

iLeamare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted September 25 2012 - 08:37 PM

I'm linuxoid too. On my Lenovo G560 with last fedora (x86) and Ubuntu 12.04 (x86-pae and x86_64) HAWKEN works perfect.
No lags, no graphical problems, everything is OK.
There's no native linux version of HAWKEN (port of UE3 have died), but developers can release special wineskin installer or just post on download (or general) page, that HAWKEN works perfect under Linux+Wine.
ileamare@coffewar ~ $ uname -a
Linux coffewar 3.2.0-16 #25-leamare SMP Tue Feb 14 10:26:36 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Russian Linux Pilot since Alpha 2.

#4 MuuT

MuuT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 28 2012 - 04:09 AM

View PostiLeamare, on September 25 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

I'm linuxoid too. On my Lenovo G560 with last fedora (x86) and Ubuntu 12.04 (x86-pae and x86_64) HAWKEN works perfect.
No lags, no graphical problems, everything is OK.
There's no native linux version of HAWKEN (port of UE3 have died), but developers can release special wineskin installer or just post on download (or general) page, that HAWKEN works perfect under Linux+Wine.

Did you have to do anything special to get it to work_ I've been trying to get Hawken to work in wine but all I get is a black screen.

#5 UnR34L

UnR34L

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 03 2012 - 07:09 AM

I'm a linux user and I'd like to see more support for linux.

#6 Venn

Venn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAthens

Posted October 03 2012 - 01:55 PM

It took a bit of tinkering but I manged to get it working with Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit. Works flawlessly.

#7 ant2ne_12877

ant2ne_12877

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 09:53 PM

Venn & iLeamare,

Please give us some direction on your tinkering. I'm interested in this game, but only use linux. Actually, I've been thinking about a new build primarily for game/media/leiser and this could be just the inspiration I need.

L3eapyearmonkey,

What do you mean by "onlive"_

Edited by ant2ne_12877, October 12 2012 - 11:06 AM.

#8 qlum

qlum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 11:37 AM

Funny thing though, there is supposed to be a linux build of unreal engine 3 only its not released because of lack of demand, also android is essentially a linux distro although that doesn't make it compatible. Yes you could run it through wine with a bit of thinkering.

#9 mDuo13

mDuo13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 01:18 PM

So far haven't been able to get it to run (Arch Linux 64-bit, nVidia GTX460, wine 1.5.12) but I feel like I'm making progress. Will update if I get it going.

#10 indukush

indukush

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:55 AM

I'm on linux too, and, if no one at the staff will help us, I definitively abandon this game. If Meteor or Adhesive are'nt interested on linux gamers, I'm not interested on this game

#11 Treminari

Treminari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 02:50 PM

I'm for a Native Linux version too, I got annoyed with Microsoft sometime way back in my college days when they made their own custom java VM to ruin java's products by making their own not so fully compatible version of the VM which made java look bad as it was destabilized as a result((different Java VM's between systems and different coding tools designed expecting the app to be ran on a specific VM)), as a result I haven't upgraded to a version of windows Newer than XP.... Windows 8 and them doing the same thing towards adobe flash after releasing their imitation silverlight re-inforces I made the right decision.

While in college I Couldn't figure out why my apps worked fine at home but showed inconsistent results on the Windows machine til I found the college was using the Microsoft rip off version of the java VM rather than the official VM... this resulted in me failing the class as I didn't realize the trash I was really programming for til it was too late, so at home I've gradually been phasing out windows as I'm disgusted with it.

I use a dual boot system and Only use WinXP for games now, and as more and more apps run on Linux natively or WINE I gradually disregard running them under windows, as Linux I can expect much more consistant results((when I have a problem in Linux Its my fault or the developers fault and not a fault of the OS usually making so problems much easier to diagnose.)), the Only reason I run hawken under Windows and Not Linux through the use of WINE is aside from finding appropriate WINE settings for Hawken, id like to give some input and bug reports and when I do find a Bug I need to report for the environment its developed for unfortunately.

Anyhow I plan on eventually giving up Windows altogether, and would very much so like to continue running hawken if possible, also aside from myself I feel a good reason to port this to Linux would be if it runs natively and you can count on it to run rather than hit or miss a Linux user is more likely to spend on obtaining meteor points and XP boosters, than someone running it that dont know how long it might work for them.

Also another reason to port this to Linux is I'm hearing not many people like Windows 8 tiles and the Hybrid focus on tablets and PC's and as a result some of them may be looking to make the switch, I've been slowly switching over myself for reasons I've mentioned above.

Also with more and more alternative game titles supporting linux lately and some stuff in the links im posting below, I find myself much less likely to switch back to windows for anything, even though hawken is an awesome game,

I would very much like to see a Linux Port or WINE compatibility kept in mind with a howto on running this for WINE.

Reasons Im phasing out windows:
http://www.winehq.org/about/
http://en.wikipedia....Virtual_Machine
http://msdn.microsof...7(v=vs.85).aspx

#12 WhiteKnight170

WhiteKnight170

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 03 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'm also a Linux 64-bit user, I've seen methods that use wine to run HAWKEN, but does this still use the power of the GPU_ (I use a GeForce 580 so it would be a waste) Unless Linux support is a future plan for HAWKEN, then I am unlikely to play the game under wine or VirtualBox, as they are slower than the Linux distributions.

#13 irogue

irogue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted November 07 2012 - 10:27 PM

With a well knowen digital store moving toward linux recently, i think it would only improve sales ofor the devs / publishers who adopt early as theyw ill gian a customer base before the other companys imho.

#14 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 08 2012 - 11:42 AM

Guys, the game isn't even publically released for Windows, and Adhesive Games is a small studio. It is way too early to expect ports to different operating systems. If it does happen, it'll happen in the future, after Open Beta begins.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#15 Tarlach

Tarlach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 02:56 PM

Found you a solution, as I posted in my own thread asking the same question.

http://linuxgamecast...ith-winetricks/

If you have the proper graphics card for this, it should run fine. Happy Hunting!

#16 Venn

Venn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAthens

Posted November 08 2012 - 05:27 PM

View PostTarlach, on November 08 2012 - 02:56 PM, said:

Found you a solution, as I posted in my own thread asking the same question.

http://linuxgamecast...ith-winetricks/

If you have the proper graphics card for this, it should run fine. Happy Hunting!

Indeed, I just tested my original guide that you linked /w Beta 2. It works without issue. Keep in mind that it has only been tested on 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04 /w Nvidia 560ti graphics.

Posted Image
Source: https://twitter.com/...2835456/photo/1

Cheers,
Venn
LinuxGameCast

#17 buckybit

buckybit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:45 PM

UE3 - those were the days, when Epic Games shipped their Unreal games and offered a Linux Installer! ... maybe we are seeing a Renaissance soon_

Since I installed Ubuntu 12.04 32bit for the Valve/Steam Beta test I am trying to run all kinds of games on Linux (again) too. (install WINE + Winetricks + PlayOnLinux and you can almost install and run tons of games without a lot of 'tinkering' at all, these days).

Many 'black screen' issues have to do with video drivers, or using Compiz/Compositing, multi-monitors, mainboards with onboard graphic + graphic card, not installed dotnet, directx dll missing - most of them, solvable problems_

... if you can make it run on your rig, be a good Linux user and post your results and PC specs in the WineHQ database, despite the LGC how-to link above_ Thanks.

#18 SkepticalMystic

SkepticalMystic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:41 PM

I've been able to get the game installed and running. Played a match or two. I've not been able to get sound working, however, which is a pain for any FPS style game. It sucks when you can't hear audio cues for things going on. Lol.

I did run into an issue that I haven't seen listed, so here is my experience.

Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit.
Nvidia GTX 570 GPU
Nvidia 304.64 proprietary drivers.
Wine 1.5.16

Followed the link above and installed the necessary libraries with winetricks but was still unable to launch. Would get a tiny window in the upper left corner that appeared to have the main menu, but it was less than a quarter of an inch wide so it was hard to tell. Running in console it was complaining about not having XAPOFX1_5.dll. I found a random site to download the DLL from and placed it in <home prefix>/.wine/drive_c/windows/system/. Then ran winecfg, went to Libraries and typed in XAPOFX1_5.dlland clicked add. After that, the game loaded correctly. It will not actually take priority on the screen when run, however. and I had to use Super+Tab to cycle through to Wine on my system bar for it to take priority.

I'll continue working on trying to find a fix for the sound. Just wanted to give my experience in case anyone else shared my symptoms.

#19 mDuo13

mDuo13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 01:40 AM

UPDATE: Successfully got the game to open in Arch Linux 64-bit with Nvidia graphics, but I wasn't able to play a match (the server list showed empty) and I didn't seem to have sound either. Oh yeah, and I did have to alt-tab to it since it seems to start minimized.

Also, I am running a two-monitor setup (twinview) which causes it to do strange things with many fullscreen games. I used the same solution I also use for Starcraft 2, which is to use xrandr to temporarily turn off one of my screens when running the game.

For getting this far, I used winetricks to install msxml3, vcrun2010, and some other DLLs that the wine commandline told me I was missing like the XAPOFX1_5 one -- for reference, you don't have to download those dlls from some sketchy site; most of them are included in some Microsoft package that you can download directly from Microsoft for free, then use cabextract to get at some msi you want. (Some Googling helped me figure this out.)

Will update if I get sound or get in game.

Edited by mDuo13, November 14 2012 - 01:50 AM.

#20 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 14 2012 - 04:56 AM

The beta test event ended at midnight pacific time. There will be at least one more event between now and Open Beta on 12.12.12, but no announcements have been made yet, so your guess is as good as mine. (I'm expecting next weekend, around the 23rd-25th, but who knows.)
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users