HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How to: Play the predator good and not be dead weight

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 deeman010

deeman010

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted November 28 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostHatesYourFace, on November 27 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

Lol, what kind of name did you want_ Something funny_ Something cocky_ Something ironic_

Maybe we can help you.

Idk but any type of suggestions would be extremely appreciated but definitely something funny.

On topic, I think that the pred is a mech that really excels at peek-a-boo and zoning (both during duels and during the standard engagements). My advice would be to play to those strengths (easiest done with EOC IMO because you have the option for zoning AND retain the fantastic burst potential) and to "re-learn" playing the mech as it has an unorthodox play style compared to other mechs.

Edited by deeman010, November 28 2013 - 08:27 AM.

#102 HatesYourFace

HatesYourFace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted November 28 2013 - 07:46 AM

Always thought about using our well known community fuzzy bunny meme to make some names.

A few name ideas based on fuzzy bunny off the top of my head: (Note: I didn't check to see if these were taken)

FuzzyBunny, TheFuzziestBunny, FuzzingBunnies, TwoBunniesOneFuzz, BunnyFuzzer, FuzzYourBunny

It's irreverent and funny, It's also an in-joke. Names are pretty personal though so no offense taken if you don't care for any of my ideas. I'd really need some parameters to work with to make a better suggestion.
Posted Image

I also play on "PoundSignYoloSwag" (Assault/G2 Assault) and "FriendshipIsMagic" (Rocketeer) But haven't been able to add them to my Sig yet due to computer problems.

#103 deeman010

deeman010

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted November 28 2013 - 08:30 AM

View PostHatesYourFace, on November 28 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

Always thought about using our well known community fuzzy bunny meme to make some names.

A few name ideas based on fuzzy bunny off the top of my head: (Note: I didn't check to see if these were taken)

FuzzyBunny, TheFuzziestBunny, FuzzingBunnies, TwoBunniesOneFuzz, BunnyFuzzer, FuzzYourBunny

It's irreverent and funny, It's also an in-joke. Names are pretty personal though so no offense taken if you don't care for any of my ideas. I'd really need some parameters to work with to make a better suggestion.

I want to be VegetaSephiroth now :/ ........................... u cool if I use VegetaSephiroth840_ Maybe too similar (+ no one would get the joke) Ok im TheTrueStevenSegal from now on..... maybe........................... making a name is so hard.

On topic (just to keep thread on track) fire EOC charged too keep heat in check + don't be too spam-y with the EOC-P slower but better aimed shots are better than missed shots.

Edited by deeman010, November 28 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#104 HatesYourFace

HatesYourFace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted November 28 2013 - 09:32 AM

Totally cool with it man! How about VegetaSephiroth117_ (Master chief reference, which is equally as lame as a vegeta or sephiroth reference and thus ironic)
Posted Image

I also play on "PoundSignYoloSwag" (Assault/G2 Assault) and "FriendshipIsMagic" (Rocketeer) But haven't been able to add them to my Sig yet due to computer problems.

#105 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted November 28 2013 - 09:35 AM

i just lay mines, i have found a lot of places were the mines can be planted without being seen :D
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#106 KnightBezerker

KnightBezerker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted December 17 2013 - 10:24 AM

Having almost only played the pred(fallen in love with it) I can firmly say that it can be a beast, not by following a pre set of actions but by being as unpredictable as possible. Most people view the pred as a mech that won't be in the front and therefore they'll just think of it as a weak upfront fighter. I did dive in open fight with this mech and with a good team you can easely freak the other team out. I've prized the tactic of falling upon the heavies mainly because I find it so easy to slip by them and shoot them in the back or fly over them.

View PostShadowWarg, on November 02 2013 - 04:09 PM, said:

I find it most effect not to travel WITH my pack (team) but to satellite them, sticking close but not to close, this way I can easily fall back to them if I need help, but at the same time I can help pick off the wounded or help wear down the enemies health from a nice distance using the mines and the rail shot so they can land the finish blow. The best range for this guy is mid range, just far enough where you can lay down mines to support your team without being heard and mid range snipe target mechs.
Love that statement! I tend to use the pred as a front line scout that can just point out where everyone is. In siege or turret modes it tends to work well if the team listen, knowing where the enemy is in force is simply a better way to know where its best to attack without getting shot through the face. I use the basic loadout for weps and tend to follow the same tuning as everyone. The best tip I can give is use the most underhanded tactics. Shoot them up a bit make them run at you (normally because they view you as weak and easy to kill) and walk them right through one of your minefields. If that doesn't kill one turn around and do a finishing blow, some straight out just flee from this since they have no clue what happened. Obviously some maps are better doing this then other (origin comes to mind) Of course its nice to sit tight in the repair zones to just ambush and kill but most lack the patience for it. Using the pred to harass and drive attention away is the best way to help the team since some of the opposite will see you as a greater threat and will then stop shooting your friends and hopefully chase you right in your traps.

#107 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted January 24 2014 - 08:54 AM

Well for me this is my predator.

Tuning Setup:
10 Weapon Reloader. The faster you can lay your traps the better.
_8 Heatsink. Just to be able to last longer while in combat situations.
_5 Armour. I need enough armour to survive C Mechs head on in CQC
_7 Hydraulics. Of course we want to move as fast as possible walking IG.

I sometimes but very rarely down grade my armour to 750 so I end up with:

10 weapon reloader
10 heatsinks
_0 armour
_7 hydraulics
_3 range = 150m range

I was experimenting with range to see if I could get a better score during matches. But it was around the same as without, however it did help in locating the where abouts of enemies. So that I spent less time aimlessly walking looking for prey.

Weapon setup: Breacher + Eoc Predator
Item setup: Detonator MK-3 + Emp MK-1. I use Detonator for alpha strikes and Emp for when I overheat.
Internal setup: Deflectors for combat, Failsafe for alpha strikes, Shock coil for heights etc, Basic reconstruction for easy healing.
I took off advanced reconstruction cause to me it seems like a waste, I feel repairing to be much faster plus I can simply look around me for danger, if clear I press C and start repairing, the basic helps towards the end of repair so I save about 1-2 seconds.
By the time I'm fully repaired my ability is usually back ready to re-engage stealth.

If against A Mech's you should aim the EOC P at their feet or shoot it so it lands to their sides, when they try dodge they get dmg'd and when they stop moving hit them with breacher. B Mechs u back peddle, especially ones with Vulcan's, and start volleying the EOC pucks at them and charged breacher, and bait them around corners slowing taking their health, so leaving a few pucks on the floor behind the corner, move away and as they approach dodge and fire ur charged breacher again, then kill them off.

Fighting C mechs in turret mode, you aim your EOC P behind them so jump up over them or to their side. So they back peddle and you detonate your pucks will do them dmg, while you poke them with ur breacher or you can do it the usual way and fight it head on, but you should try avoid that, as you may run the risk of over heating as I have done a few times. The best way to take them out is to stay out of their peripheral vision and sneak up behind them. For C Mechs not in TM (turret mode) it depends what mech it is, if its a mech with burst weapons engage them with caution. Their accuracy or your lack off will be the end of your mech.

You want to engage C mechs with AOE weapons, and come in closer to them, they end up killing themselves, as 1 you had the first hit by initiative, so they lost health and 2 the splash dmg is hitting them also. Most times a lot of players who use AOE weps don't equip fail safe especially rocketeers I have found. Even if they did, because I've landed major dmg you should still come out on top.

As a predator, you want to learn where the shadows are in any map, your much harder to spot in a dark area. The less light your in (open area) the less visible you'll become. I've hide in shadows plenty and they boost right past me. Also helps if you look down, so your weps become less visible. While in stealth, the walking sound is masked somewhat. Someone I played against commented on how they did not hear anything as I approached them. Hugg walls, predators should move around the edges of the map.

Edited by Lightangel112, January 24 2014 - 09:08 AM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#108 StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted January 24 2014 - 08:57 AM

This topic reminds me of this:
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users