HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Very unplayable framerates on Winter Eco

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 r4phstryker

r4phstryker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted December 05 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostXacius, on December 05 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on December 05 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

We have a theory... still formally investigating. Assuming we have the problem fixed this afternoon, we'll prepare a minor release to address this issue, some collision changes on Wreckage and a few other tweaks. We'll share more information ASAP. Thanks.

This is good to hear.  What is the likeliness of establishing short, frequent hotfixes for outstanding issues_  In the past, minor hotfixes have resulted in hour-long downtimes.  Do all services need to be brought down for a couple hours to apply a quick patch_

Youre grammars ownz my frenchy one ;)
I don't believe in God, but i believe in myself.
In Linus Torvalds, we trust.

#42 SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!

SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!

Technical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted December 05 2013 - 06:15 PM

Hey everyone, with your help we figured it out.  (A very big thank you to everyone who responded!)  We made a mistake on the settings for how we group together foliage for rendering.  In effect, you were always rendering all the foliage.  This is obviously terrible.  It is fixed internally now, but I'm not quite sure when you guys will see the fix.  I'm not in charge of when patches get applied.  

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on December 05 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

I would like to note one thing in terms of what makes a video card ale. One of the hardest things for video cards to deal with even those like the 780Ti is shadows. But we dont deal with these that much. Now in particular with Last Eco in its normal mode the issue that drops frames and makes it intense on gpus when its one of the lighter maps as far as resources go. Foliage is the big issue. Foliage especially when it moves is really bad for GPUs. But not as bad as the issue for Winter Eco. Winter Eco has and issue with particles. Particles is the second most intense piece of visual glory after shadows that gpus have an issue with. This is because there is multiple little pieces of graphic that it has to render and move around. Where as shadows is dealing with transparencies and opacity of the dark spot that is also moving around.

The reason we have a hit on performance on Last Eco and Winter Eco has nothing to do with how resource intensive the map is. Its an issue of you made a map and then altered the map both containing at least one element that is specifically hard on GPUs.

I do appreciate your help, but what you are saying isn't quite accurate.  You are correct in saying that shadows are expensive, but the main shadows you see all along the ground floor are faked.  They aren't shadows at all, but rather a simple material affect applied to the dominant dynamic light.  This effect is incredibly cheap (~13 instructions), and turning it off wouldn't be detectable by the human eye as it is actually cheaper than the amount of noise your gpu encounters.  Also shadows are only turned on for high and ultra.  

Foliage can be a big deal yes (it was the problem after all), but again not like you describe.  The main cost of foliage is draw calls, not vertex shaders like you imply.  Unreal uses hardware instancing to severely reduce the cost of foliage actors.  (Side Note:  foliage actors don't have to be actual foliage.  They can be rocks like they are on Sahara.)  Foliage "that moves" isn't nearly the issue you think it is.  Foliage tends to have a very low vert count, which makes the expensive part (vertex shaders) not all that expensive at all.  With that said, I do play on optimizing the foliage vertex shader as there is some waste there.  

In an effort to clear up how particles work in Unreal, let me explain.  Particle spawns and their location are actually tracked by the cpu, not the gpu.  (PhysX is the exception).  The gpu just has to draw them like any other translucent object.  The shader cost on the vast majority of our particles (now) is really low.  All particles with the same Material coming from the same particle system are drawn as one draw call, which all but eliminates the draw call cost for particle systems.  The vast majority of the cost of particles in our game is screen space.  The number of pixels they occupy directly relates to performance.  Large explosions we have that have overlapping smoke (the term used is "overdraw") are much more expensive than the falling snow effect we have in Last Eco Winter despite the fact that the explosions have significantly less particles.  The amount of screen space that the falling snow takes up is just so small, it doesn't really matter.  In fact the snow effect is so cheap, it cost less than a frame. Turning it off has no discernible affect.  

Again the problem was a single value that we didn't change from the (inefficient) default.  The problem wasn't at all how we placed assets in the map, but rather the problem was simply a matter of forgetting to change a simple "100" into a "3".   Also, the number one thing holding back performance on all of our maps wasn't even mentioned in your post.  Our biggest performance bottleneck is actually draw calls, which is partially a result of our art style (won't change), and partially a result of how we created our assets before I got here (still trying to fix all those old assets).

#43 Nvain

Nvain

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted December 05 2013 - 06:37 PM

View Post[HWK]SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!, on December 05 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

Hey everyone, with your help we figured it out.  (A very big thank you to everyone who responded!)  We made a mistake on the settings for how we group together foliage for rendering.  In effect, you were always rendering all the foliage.  This is obviously terrible.  It is fixed internally now, but I'm not quite sure when you guys will see the fix.  I'm not in charge of when patches get applied.
Awesome news! Thanks for letting us know so quickly. Now we just have to wait for the fix to get rolled out :P
Keep up the great work!

#44 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted December 05 2013 - 06:55 PM

Thanks [HWK]SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS, hope the patch/hotfix rolls out soon so I can go yeti hunting! :D

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#45 SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!

SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!

Technical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted December 05 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostSilverfire, on December 05 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Thanks [HWK]SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS, hope the patch/hotfix rolls out soon so I can go yeti hunting! :D

You're all welcome.  I still have yet to get my yeti kill.  Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend.

#46 DarkSpock

DarkSpock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted December 05 2013 - 07:21 PM

*snip*

*snap*

*snip*

I love it when devs spend some time to respond with something like this. Much appreciated.

Just one question from me though, any particular reason why it went undetected during testing_ I saw Hughes responded at one point that it was not reproducible in the test environment but from your explanation, it seems to be something that would affect any kind of scenario.

#47 Teljaxx

Teljaxx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationIn the thick of 8;;8

Posted December 05 2013 - 08:27 PM

I am glad that this will be fixed soon. I always get fairly low FPS on Last Eco, thanks to my relatively ancient 9800 GT just not being quite up to the job. But I found turning the graphics detail option down to low helped quite a bit, even though it had no noticeable effect on any other maps. On medium, where I was originally playing, I was getting 20~25 FPS out of combat, and 10~15 in combat on Last Eco, and even worse on the blue grass side of the map. But on low, I get more like 30~35 out of combat, and 20~25 in. So still not great, but at least it is playable.

But on Winter Eco, I have been getting more like 10~ 15 frames in combat again, and I still have my detail set to low. Personally, I blame the candy canes. They are out to get me for devouring so many of their brethren every Christmas. :ph34r:
Always on the move / My trigger finger itches / If it moves, shoot it!  Posted Image8;;8

#48 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted December 05 2013 - 08:38 PM

Awesome! Thanks for fixing this quickly (hopefully).

#49 Nvain

Nvain

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted December 05 2013 - 08:38 PM

View PostTeljaxx, on December 05 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

But on Winter Eco, I have been getting more like 10~ 15 frames in combat again, and I still have my detail set to low. Personally, I blame the candy canes. They are out to get me for devouring so many of their brethren every Christmas. :ph34r:
Fear the candy canes, for they move when you blink :P
After the fix is applied I only need Marvin to show up and I'll really like Winter Eco!

Edited by Nvain, December 05 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#50 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted December 05 2013 - 09:01 PM

View Post[HWK]SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!, on December 05 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

View PostSilverfire, on December 05 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

You're all welcome.  I still have yet to get my yeti kill.  Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend.

Thank you for the explanation!  

For the record, Prosk and Normal Eco are also pretty bad on High/Ultra, sometimes dropping to sub-30 frames depending on the map. My rig is as follows:

AMD FX-8350 OC@4.5GHz
MSI Lightning Radeon 7970
8GB DDR3 1866MHz
Samsung 830 series 256GB SSD

Edited by Xacius, December 05 2013 - 09:15 PM.

High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#51 SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!

SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!

Technical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted December 06 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostDarkSpock, on December 05 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

I love it when devs spend some time to respond with something like this. Much appreciated.

Just one question from me though, any particular reason why it went undetected during testing_ I saw Hughes responded at one point that it was not reproducible in the test environment but from your explanation, it seems to be something that would affect any kind of scenario.

Very fair question.  It wasn't noticed because we spend the vast majority of our time looking at low settings.  We often play on ultra, but honestly don't spend a tremendous amount of time looking at performance on it.  For instance, if a map usually runs at 122fps but now runs at 80fps, it will probably go unnoticed.  This is because anything above 60 usually looks the same to the vast majority of people.  Ultimately this is my fault, as I am in charge of performance.  I'm sorry that this happened.

#52 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted December 06 2013 - 09:59 AM

View Post[HWK]SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!, on December 06 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

Very fair question.  It wasn't noticed because we spend the vast majority of our time looking at low settings.  We often play on ultra, but honestly don't spend a tremendous amount of time looking at performance on it.  For instance, if a map usually runs at 122fps but now runs at 80fps, it will probably go unnoticed.  This is because anything above 60 usually looks the same to the vast majority of people.  Ultimately this is my fault, as I am in charge of performance.  I'm sorry that this happened.

Don't you have performance regression tests_ You know, something like http://arewefastyet.com/

Edited by shosca, December 06 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#53 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted December 06 2013 - 10:07 AM

Apology accepted! Mistakes happen, its an unfortunate part of being human. But as long as we learn from our mistakes, then some good comes out of them!

I'm glad you guys were able to figure out what the problem was, and hopefully that fix will be rolling out soon. :)

Posted Image

#54 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted December 06 2013 - 10:11 AM

. . . Ultimately this is my fault, as I am in charge of performance.  I'm sorry that this happened.
You're a bad person, and you should feel bad.

https://robertsspace...orgs/OMNISCIENT

Complaining about Hawken's population_  Read this: https://community.pl...en/#entry524454

Posted Image   

#55 chuckdm

chuckdm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationThe Loveliest Village on the Plains

Posted December 06 2013 - 12:41 PM

At this point, I cope by changing my overall graphics from Medium to Low before I even start playing.  Frame rate issues solved.

The map doesn't look AWFUL on low, and it takes like 5 seconds to make the switch.  The map will be gone in a month so it's a small price to pay for now.
I'm just a bill.  Yes I'm only a bill.  And I'm sitting here on capitol hill.  I'd be a law now but the Republicans keep refusing to let anyone vote on me.  So I'm covered in mold.  Because I'm just a bill...

#56 DarkSpock

DarkSpock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted December 06 2013 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for the honest response.

Can we get that fix implemented soon please. The sound my PC makes whenever I play on that map is worrying, and no it's definitely not the Yeti.

#57 r4phstryker

r4phstryker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted December 06 2013 - 01:47 PM

Thank you Dev team! go!go!go! balance that game now ;)
I don't believe in God, but i believe in myself.
In Linus Torvalds, we trust.

#58 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted December 07 2013 - 11:14 AM

I would like to note one thing in terms of what makes a video card ale. One of the hardest things for video cards to deal with even those like the 780Ti is shadows. But we dont deal with these that much. Now in particular with Last Eco in its normal mode the issue that drops frames and makes it intense on gpus when its one of the lighter maps as far as resources go. Foliage is the big issue. Foliage especially when it moves is really bad for GPUs. But not as bad as the issue for Winter Eco. Winter Eco has and issue with particles. Particles is the second most intense piece of visual glory after shadows that gpus have an issue with. This is because there is multiple little pieces of graphic that it has to render and move around. Where as shadows is dealing with transparencies and opacity of the dark spot that is also moving around.

The reason we have a hit on performance on Last Eco and Winter Eco has nothing to do with how resource intensive the map is. Its an issue of you made a map and then altered the map both containing at least one element that is specifically hard on GPUs.

I do appreciate your help, but what you are saying isn't quite accurate.  You are correct in saying that shadows are expensive, but the main shadows you see all along the ground floor are faked.  They aren't shadows at all, but rather a simple material affect applied to the dominant dynamic light.  This effect is incredibly cheap (~13 instructions), and turning it off wouldn't be detectable by the human eye as it is actually cheaper than the amount of noise your gpu encounters.  Also shadows are only turned on for high and ultra.  

Foliage can be a big deal yes (it was the problem after all), but again not like you describe.  The main cost of foliage is draw calls, not vertex shaders like you imply.  Unreal uses hardware instancing to severely reduce the cost of foliage actors.  (Side Note:  foliage actors don't have to be actual foliage.  They can be rocks like they are on Sahara.)  Foliage "that moves" isn't nearly the issue you think it is.  Foliage tends to have a very low vert count, which makes the expensive part (vertex shaders) not all that expensive at all.  With that said, I do play on optimizing the foliage vertex shader as there is some waste there.  

In an effort to clear up how particles work in Unreal, let me explain.  Particle spawns and their location are actually tracked by the cpu, not the gpu.  (PhysX is the exception).  The gpu just has to draw them like any other translucent object.  The shader cost on the vast majority of our particles (now) is really low.  All particles with the same Material coming from the same particle system are drawn as one draw call, which all but eliminates the draw call cost for particle systems.  The vast majority of the cost of particles in our game is screen space.  The number of pixels they occupy directly relates to performance.  Large explosions we have that have overlapping smoke (the term used is "overdraw") are much more expensive than the falling snow effect we have in Last Eco Winter despite the fact that the explosions have significantly less particles.  The amount of screen space that the falling snow takes up is just so small, it doesn't really matter.  In fact the snow effect is so cheap, it cost less than a frame. Turning it off has no discernible affect.  

Again the problem was a single value that we didn't change from the (inefficient) default.  The problem wasn't at all how we placed assets in the map, but rather the problem was simply a matter of forgetting to change a simple "100" into a "3".   Also, the number one thing holding back performance on all of our maps wasn't even mentioned in your post.  Our biggest performance bottleneck is actually draw calls, which is partially a result of our art style (won't change), and partially a result of how we created our assets before I got here (still trying to fix all those old assets).

Now Im not a full developer like you and I dont know code or the engines to the level that you do either. Im really glad you got it sorted out. And Im deeply thankful for the technobabble (sorry had to use that word). I love learning new stuff. For what I said I was only working off of my experience as a hardware addict and with tweaking settings for highest frame rates and still wanting pretty. I have had a GTX275, GTX470, and a GTX580 and now looking at a GTX780 Ti, Tweaking reveals a lot. I dont know much about the Unreal engine but Im pretty use to the Cryengine so the system are done differently which intern makes what I had said partially irrelevant. The kind of info you puit in your post is what I and many others like to see. Im only going to be a Community Manager for an Indie game studio so I love reading this.

And mistakes happen. Its what we do after that counts. B)

Edited by Cpt_Kill_Jack, December 07 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#59 bytemedeep

bytemedeep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPilipinas

Posted December 07 2013 - 03:05 PM

HAWKEN staff rules! I love your timely responses and that you socialize with supporters/fans.  I hope this doesn't change when your team gets bigger (as I'm sure it will).

Yeah, and my machine specs are:
Core i7-4700MQ @ 2.4 GHz (quad core)
GT 750M 2 GB GDDR5
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
1 TB HDD @ 5400 RPM
1366 x 768 native rez
Windows 8.1

...if it still matters.  I get 15 to 42 fps (stays mostly at low 20s) in Winter, playing @ 768p on Ultra/all effects enabled/PhysX turned on.  In  every other map save for regular Last Eco I get 35 to 60 fps.
Lenovo IdeaPad Y410p // 14" LED Display | Intel Core i7-4700MQ 2.40 GHz | GeForce GT 750M 2 GB | 8 GB RAM | 1 TB HDD | JBL Dolby Home Theater Speakers | SLI Ready

#60 bytemedeep

bytemedeep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPilipinas

Posted December 08 2013 - 12:49 AM

Anyone had their GPU crash in this map when setting the Graphics Quality to Low with everything enabled, including PhysX_ Mine did once with the 331.82 driver.  I then downgraded to 326.80, thinking it would go away but it only made it worse.  The game freezes like almost always 10 seconds from entering this map with that driver.  Also, what's the general concensus on which Nvidia driver works stable with HAWKEN_ Thanks!
Lenovo IdeaPad Y410p // 14" LED Display | Intel Core i7-4700MQ 2.40 GHz | GeForce GT 750M 2 GB | 8 GB RAM | 1 TB HDD | JBL Dolby Home Theater Speakers | SLI Ready

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users