HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Attack/Defend Siege. How will it work_

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bloody_Bucket

Bloody_Bucket

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 09:01 PM

I had a few thoughts on it before, but would love to see everyone else's.  Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the game mode_

My major beefs are that it's not actually a siege; there needs to be some other objective in the game - such as carrying AA missiles to the launcher - while the besiegers can shoot you, and a ticking clock which will defeat your attempt if the enemy doesn't.

I'd love to see defensive walls be breached - by a Breacher, carried by a Predator, or a Heavy.  I'd love to see indirect fire from the attackers, and remote-detonated/MCLIC area-defense/infrastructure destruction capability.

Share your thoughts!

#2 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted December 12 2013 - 10:37 PM

I a proponent of anything that promotes actual engagements, not just camping a spot in AA / EU farming.
High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#3 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted December 12 2013 - 11:20 PM

I've said the same thing about siege, that its not really a siege. I think I will keep my thoughts reserved until siege 2.0 comes out.

I will say this though. The current collecting EU to launch a battle ship and holding a single AA isn't working. Make siege a true siege. Force teams to directly assault and defend bases.

#4 Highchu

Highchu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted December 13 2013 - 01:09 AM

What if they made the EU fountains like the AA zone where if your team has more players controlling it EU is gradually deposited on your side. This would actually encourage teams to clash outside the AA. Though they would need to increase the radius and possibly add more cover to prevent further Hellfire abuse.

#5 Preternatural

Preternatural

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationLurking in the Tunnels of Origin

Posted December 13 2013 - 09:32 AM

I like Siege much more than the other game modes. I feel like the mode is much deeper than TDM or DM, where you just run around and shoot the fu*k out of everyone. I prefer it over MA just because I like to fight much more than just run around to different silos spread all over the map.

I like the AA because it's such an awesome chokepoint and encourages teamwork. A single person attacking the AA is not (unless, of course, you 1337) going to win the game. An entire team needs to help each other to win.

I prefer to be the guy in the cloaked infiltrator knocking out opponents before they even get to the AA, but that's just me. I'll leave my team to get the AA XP, and I'll get the kill XP. :D I will hang out at AA when my team needs assistance, and sometimes I'll stay there any time a ship is launched. I try to get the best of both worlds most of the time. But some people don't understand that Siege is not TDM. I have to remind myself constantly to go get EU or to go the AA and not just hang around and pick off enemies. :)

To get the XP and the enjoyment you and your team are looking for, you have to play the objective.
Posted Image

#6 PhysicsCrime

PhysicsCrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted December 13 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostHighchu, on December 13 2013 - 01:09 AM, said:

What if they made the EU fountains like the AA zone where if your team has more players controlling it EU is gradually deposited on your side. This would actually encourage teams to clash outside the AA. Though they would need to increase the radius and possibly add more cover to prevent further Hellfire abuse.

I like that idea.

Also it would probably be better if obtaining EU were not so fast.

#7 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 14 2013 - 06:04 PM

If we have an "attack" and "defend" mode, we should consider having limited lives for the offensive team.

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on December 10 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Sure thing! :D Thanks for being constructive.
Raider Corsair to replace Brawler's TOW: MAKE IT HAPPEN
BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#8 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted December 14 2013 - 08:51 PM

View Postfingerknitter, on December 14 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

If we have an "attack" and "defend" mode, we should consider having limited lives for the offensive team.

The problem with this is that the offensive team is already at a disadvantage (it is generally easier to hold a position than it is to push one).  

I wouldn't mind limited lives for both teams, but then you'd have to do something about repair mode.  For instance, one team could snag a kill, back off, and then have 5 players compared to 4.  Assuming all players are of equal skill, the 5 man team would be at a clear advantage and most likely win.  

Disabling repair functions at least gives the other team a chance to come back.

Edited by Xacius, December 14 2013 - 08:52 PM.

High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#9 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 14 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostXacius, on December 14 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

View Postfingerknitter, on December 14 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

The problem with this is that the offensive team is already at a disadvantage (it is generally easier to hold a position than it is to push one).  

I wouldn't mind limited lives for both teams, but then you'd have to do something about repair mode.  For instance, one team could snag a kill, back off, and then have 5 players compared to 4.  Assuming all players are of equal skill, the 5 man team would be at a clear advantage and most likely win.  

Disabling repair functions at least gives the other team a chance to come back.

Hmm, I don't know if we mean the same thing haha no worries, I am not personally a fan of the idea but some people may be (like the "tickets" from Battlefield).

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on December 10 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Sure thing! :D Thanks for being constructive.
Raider Corsair to replace Brawler's TOW: MAKE IT HAPPEN
BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#10 Aptest

Aptest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted December 19 2013 - 05:30 AM

to make siege into a game mode where there are strategic and tactical decisions to be made (I.E. at the present moment there is only 1 viable decision, and all the other options are "false" that is to say if you are not camping on the AA at all times you are doing something wrong), there has to be either (a) more objectives that lead to winning the game regardless of AA and can overpower AA control or (B) team wide debuff on the controlling team that makes it hard for them to keep AA.

So, here is how i see it:
EU stations stay open regardless of AA situations. Multiple ships can be in the air at any given time. Ship to ship weapons have more power.

Result:

if you are camping the AA, other team can collect EU freely (whereas now they cannot since EU is closed while there's a ship going). They will then launch not 1, but 3-4 ships at you at the same time. This large number of ships will overpower the AA and reach the base regardless of AA control.

Therefore teams must contest EU at all times. Loss of control over EU collection results in loss regardless of AA. AA remains important tool because of massive damage to ships, but is no longer a sole objective of game mode.

solution 2:

team holding AA cannot spawn while they have control. Therefore defensive strength of controlling team reduced with time (when they get killed).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users