HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Include Free Internals with Mech Purchases for New Players

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 14 2013 - 08:23 PM

I would like to suggest that all mechs come with some internals unlocked for a couple of reasons:

- It greatly diminishes vertical progression.
- Introduces new players to the way internals work a lot sooner
- It is a great place to insert support to new players still learning the game

To explain bulletin 3, by making certain internals default upon purchase, you have the power to give new players or new mech pilots internals that, while helpful when adjusting to the learning curve or the game/mech, will similarly be outgrown once their skill reaches a certain level. What do I mean by that_

Things like the "deathstreak internal", the one that activates upon multiple deaths_ That one_ So for a BRAND NEW pilot/player, an internal like that is GREAT and helps to even out his success/failure with other players. However, once that player gets to the point where they don't die as often, that internal fails to be as relevant and that player is better off purchasing better internals: so the economy still remains relevant and active even though you have given some "free" options.

Another good one is perhaps the internal that prevents fall damage, I can't remember the others, but similarly apply any internals that become irrelevant once a certain skill threshold is exceeded or that are simply less popular, allow those to fill the slots of new mechs.

Maybe you could add some of them as rewards for completing the first few levels (Last level has 5 tuning points after all, could we give some love to the first few_).

I would personally like a similar philosophy to be applied to items AND to tuning points, but that's for another thread.

Aside from the deathstreak internal (correct the name if you can haha), which I think PERFECTLY fits this role as an internal you can "grow out of", what other internals are available or can you guys come up with that could fill 6 slots_

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on December 10 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Sure thing! :D Thanks for being constructive.
Raider Corsair to replace Brawler's TOW: MAKE IT HAPPEN
BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#2 VYR3

VYR3

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 09:07 PM

They could pick an internal that would complement the mech that they are getting, the CR-T could get composite armour, berzerker could get the basic fuel converter, ETC ETC ETC.

#3 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 18 2013 - 09:21 PM

View PostVYR3, on December 18 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

They could pick an internal that would complement the mech that they are getting, the CR-T could get composite armour, berzerker could get the basic fuel converter, ETC ETC ETC.

Perhaps, that would be along the lines of how they currently have one item they provide for free which complements the "identity" of the mech or whatnot. I think its important that the internals granted be ones that increased skill will "outgrow" (like the deathstreak one).

However even if they did give them just one internal that "fit" with the mech so to speak, it would be an improvement in my eyes.

BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#4 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 11:31 PM

Can we disagree with this_

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#5 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 19 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostSylhiri, on December 18 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

Can we disagree with this_

Without having a discussion about it, seems a bit weak as far as options goes.

BlackSteelBrotherhood

#6 Luminescent

Luminescent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted December 19 2013 - 07:43 PM

Yes the current set of internals have no skill requirement (instead handing out free bonuses) and so I could agree with them being given to newer players. However, if the devs decide to heed what the community has requested and make internals skill based, then it would be worse for new players to get access to them early on (in fact I would want the pilot level bumped up before they could start using them). Reason being, these new internals would provide new options on top of the current mechanics for players to work with and if new players don't have a solid understanding of the fundamentals, adding even more layers (of mechanics which require skill) would do nothing but confuse them, probably worsening their gameplay.

Edited by Luminescent, December 19 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#7 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 19 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostLuminescent, on December 19 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

Yes the current set of internals have no skill requirement (instead handing out free bonuses) and so I could agree with them being given to newer players. However, if the devs decide to heed what the community has requested and make internals skill based, then it would be worse for new players to get access to them early on (in fact I would want the pilot level bumped up before they could start using them). Reason being, these new internals would provide new options on top of the current mechanics for players to work with and if new players don't have a solid understanding of the fundamentals, adding even more layers (of mechanics which require skill) would do nothing but confuse them, probably worsening their gameplay.

^ I think its important that new players be introduced to how internals work faster than they currently do, and I agree, the best way to go about this would be the introduction of more skill oriented, active internals, and allow the more passive ones to smooth the gameplay of the newer players to an extent.
^ I see a lot

BlackSteelBrotherhood

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users