HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Air Compressor

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Greenvalv

Greenvalv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted December 16 2013 - 08:16 AM

*watches as Berserker dodges left-right-right in the air while tearing through team*

It is difficult enough to land shots on Air Dynamic mechs as they quickly move through the air without them dodging and staying up there.

I propose that performing an air dodge grounds you forcing you to jump back up if you want to go airborne again.

And yes, I have tried air compressor Berserker and it is quite easy to stay alive dodging all day long in the air.  It's even more hilarious watching Rocketeers do it.  Once, I actually stopped fighting to watch a Rocketeer take off into the air and seem to not stop elevating and then dodge... it was quite a sight.
Posted Image

#2 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted December 16 2013 - 09:01 AM

Well, the Berserker and the Rocketeer are the only mechs which benefits from flying. Bruiser can also be pretty good, but I don`t recommend it.
I`ll fix it later.

#3 Cruzxavier

Cruzxavier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted December 16 2013 - 09:04 AM

Personnaly i think that the zerker with fuel tank, air dynamics, suspensions and generator plus air compressor plus zerker's ability duration makes the zerker be in the top two mech to play right now...in comparison with other mechs it just has too much pro's and so few con's....A flying zerker with the ability on is a death reborned to every mech (maybe except scout due to its capability of getting away)
Playing it while it is fun...

#4 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted December 16 2013 - 09:42 AM

Air compressor is the best internal by a landslide.  It just plain gives you more options than any other internal.  I use it on every single mech I have except raider.  It may sound counter-intuitive, but the air dodge is really the only good part about being in the air, so you don't really ever need to put points into air dynamics for anything other than maybe rocketeer which I don't play and so can't comment on.  Use the air dodge as another normal dodge that can get you to cover sooner, but not necessarily faster.  It can also help you out of the predictable flight path a jump pad puts you on, though if you walk onto the pad instead of jump, you might have to boost a little for the game to recognize you're in the air since the game has a weird way of treating jump pads.

Also, airdodge and turn 90deg into a shield to face those pesky turtling a classes faster than they expect.

Edited by comic_sans, December 16 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#5 IceDagger

IceDagger

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted December 16 2013 - 10:32 AM

This ability make my zerker able to duel with scout's speed. I think it is fine that each mech have their strong point. Scout got speed, zerker has air maneuver. I don't think it is over powered.
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/pombuppa

[/font]

#6 Cruzxavier

Cruzxavier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted December 16 2013 - 11:02 AM

And the other mechs have what_
Playing it while it is fun...

#7 Cannonaire

Cannonaire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationUSW

Posted December 16 2013 - 11:10 AM

Air dodge is fine. Targets in the air are barely more difficult to hit than targets on the ground, and they certainly burn through their fuel much faster, leaving them at a disadvantage.

I tend to have a more difficult time hitting dodgy targets on the ground because of uneven terrain. Being in the air makes for a very predictable flight path because even though it is three-dimensional, it is flat in every direction. Uneven terrain (expecially with inconsistent terrain boundaries) and angles of engagement on the ground will fool the brain and provide maneuvering advantages not afforded by momentum-limited air movement.

The biggest advantage I get from air dodge is the ability to dodge at or near the end of a fall without incurring landing lag.
Cannonaire - Think millionaire, but with cannons.
HC/MC Calculator (thread) UPDATED 2013/12/21

#8 Highchu

Highchu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted December 16 2013 - 12:45 PM

I thought many players didn't consider the Berserkers to be a very competitive mech in the higher tiers, but I've been seeing it get alot more playtime lately. I haven't tried the Berserker since I first started and playing it again its actually really powerful with "Air Dynamics" + "Air Compressor". Combined with "Fuel Converter" I could essentially stay in the sky forever as long as I continued to take damage. The only real downside I noticed was the constant overheating when using the Vulcan, but besides that it was much better than I expected.

Weapon Loader - 10
Fuel Tank - 7
Air Dynamics - 6
Suspension - 7

Point D Vulcan

Detonator mk3 + Shield mk1
Air Compressor + Fuel Converter + Basic Deflectors

#9 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted December 16 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostCannonaire, on December 16 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Targets in the air are barely more difficult to hit than targets on the ground, and they certainly burn through their fuel much faster, leaving them at a disadvantage.

This is true to an extent. However, I have noticed a tactic that I've started to see more and more frequently: air peekaboo. Put an obstacle between you and your opponent, hover up and peek around the corner, fire and air dodge back into cover. Now you've got an airborne target to try and hit, an obstacle to try and avoid hitting your explosive rounds into, and your opponent now has the higher ground when they attack. You can try to rush the opponent to render this useless, but they can air dodge over you and proceed to go the other way around the obstacle. Often, an EMP lands in your face if you do rush in.

I've managed to beat some players who were using this tactic, but more advanced players using this are much harder to take down and are much more accurate with the angle of positioning the hovering provides (especially with Heat and TOW).

Posted Image

#10 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 16 2013 - 10:55 PM

I...don't have the same experience. The reduction in accuracy while in the air (especially with the vulcan!!!) makes it ... not that bad IMO.

They are hardly "top mechs", and are more predictable than ground maneuvering mechs making them easier to hit too.

Once you get a little more experience fighting against them, you will realize that its the mechs that DON'T lose accuracy with their weapons while air dodging and flying that are more worthy of your fear. Even then, realize that air dodging mechs can only move side to side, where mechs on the ground can also boost forwards and turn to boost forwards which makes tracking in the air far more predictable.

Edited by fingerknitter, December 16 2013 - 11:06 PM.

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on December 10 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Sure thing! :D Thanks for being constructive.
Raider Corsair to replace Brawler's TOW: MAKE IT HAPPEN
BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#11 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted December 16 2013 - 11:01 PM

try hellfires against air compressors. its what theyre good for.

#12 RozerMahbub_

RozerMahbub_

fishy scout

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationTorino,To-10125 ,italy

Posted December 17 2013 - 02:48 AM

i like the air compressor....i have been use it form the beginning in my scout :ph34r:

Posted Image

I DON'T CARE

i want to tell you a true story , once upon a time everyone was a perfect pure NOOB ^_^

#13 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted December 17 2013 - 07:38 AM

View Postfingerknitter, on December 16 2013 - 10:55 PM, said:

Even then, realize that air dodging mechs can only move side to side,

Not if i turn in the air and dodge :)

#14 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted December 17 2013 - 08:18 AM

I think the problem is that it lacks the forward boost, hence you lose a lot of the turn+dodge+boost combinations that you can pull off on the ground, which limits you to turn+dodge. Because of this, most of the time, it is easy to predict the movements in the air, you can predict when your opponent is going to take his shot and where he's going to dodge.

Also you get awful spread, unless you are using heat. I think heat is the best weapon to use with the compressor because its better to use heat when you are higher than your opponent and it is more forgiving because of is huge splash. A 'zerker with heat would have been quite fun to play.

I also think the compressor slots should be reduced to two.

#15 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 17 2013 - 01:14 PM

View Postdorobo, on December 17 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

That's still side to side silly xD You just turned your orientation xD A mech on the ground is not required to do so in order to boost towards their target xD

BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#16 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted December 17 2013 - 11:23 PM

View Postfingerknitter, on December 17 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

That's still side to side silly xD You just turned your orientation xD A mech on the ground is not required to do so in order to boost towards their target xD

ye but still i just moved a bit forward or backward.. moving side ways :D

#17 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 18 2013 - 12:19 AM

View Postdorobo, on December 17 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

When a mech is facing you on the ground, it has the potential to boost forwards without any indication of doing so (and instantly). A mech in the air that "turns" in order to dodge forward is not comparable, as his intent is far less inconspicuous and in no way restricted to air dodging mechs (a mech on the ground can similarly turn to its side and dodge towards their target). Being able to face their target and boost towards them is restricted to grounded mechs and this, by definition, gives them another vector of evasive and potentially erratic movement that a flying mech simply does not have. Couple this with their greater speed in expression of their mobility on the ground, and you have a far more predictable, easier to track target hovering and dodging in the air than one on the ground. Being able to dodge, then boost while dodge is on cooldown, is something you cannot do while in the air.

BlackSteelBrotherhood

#18 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted December 18 2013 - 01:12 AM

View Postfingerknitter, on December 18 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

When a mech is facing you on the ground, it has the potential to boost forwards without any indication of doing so (and instantly). A mech in the air that "turns" in order to dodge forward is not comparable, as his intent is far less inconspicuous and in no way restricted to air dodging mechs (a mech on the ground can similarly turn to its side and dodge towards their target). Being able to face their target and boost towards them is restricted to grounded mechs and this, by definition, gives them another vector of evasive and potentially erratic movement that a flying mech simply does not have. Couple this with their greater speed in expression of their mobility on the ground, and you have a far more predictable, easier to track target hovering and dodging in the air than one on the ground. Being able to dodge, then boost while dodge is on cooldown, is something you cannot do while in the air.

Yes i agree but it's an on ground thing so it is logical that it's better. Btw in the air u can go above the oponent and i find air dodging very usefull when escaping after jumping over the edge you can easier reach second floor in origin or just close some corner in the air so you wont be visible while landing.

#19 Amisto

Amisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted December 21 2013 - 10:59 PM

It's not that good.  Cover Is always superior to dodging, not much cover in the air, and most importantly the most effective way to dodge is to use double dodge, Ie a forward and side dodge in combination, and you can't do that in the air.  It was fun running for a while, but I do not run it any longer.

#20 Grizzled

Grizzled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted December 26 2013 - 09:53 AM

View Postdorobo, on December 18 2013 - 01:12 AM, said:

View Postfingerknitter, on December 18 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

Yes i agree but it's an on ground thing so it is logical that it's better. Btw in the air u can go above the oponent and i find air dodging very usefull when escaping after jumping over the edge you can easier reach second floor in origin or just close some corner in the air so you wont be visible while landing.

The biggie for me on that one is when you turn sideways to dodge (forward or back) you just turned you your crosshair away from me, YAY!
Iligetimi carborundum est

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users