HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Fred vs Assault

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted December 17 2013 - 04:12 PM

Been pondering on this for about ... 15 seconds, lol, but what is there to really make a distinction between the CRT Assault and the normal assault_ There are the different weapon unlock configs and internals, but that's about it. The main thing that differentiates mechs of the same class (IMO) is the ability, and having the same ability doesn't make much sense.

This is sorta a suggestion also, but what if we make a distinction between the abilities. The CRT's ability should stay the same, it's a starter mech, so it's OK for it to be forgiving. The assault on the other hand should have a more 'restrictive' but 'distinct' ability. IMO something that cools down weapons (even more_) rapidly, but locks down the weapons for that duration and has one of those evacuating steam, rapid cool down type effects_ (best description ever_!_!_!)
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#2 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 04:26 PM

Assault starts with +20 hp compared to Fred.

Also the secondary tuning systems are different in both mechs. The most notable difference is Fred can upgrade boost thrusters, and assault can't.

#3 hendman

hendman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 04:43 PM

The main reason for the assaults existance has always been the impossibilty to buy another CRT, so instead you can buy an Assault. Afaik that reason is still valid.

#4 Highchu

Highchu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted December 17 2013 - 05:16 PM

CR-T Recruit: Booth Thrusters, Generator, Radar, Cooling Units
Assault: Fuel Tank, Hydraulics, Air Dynamics, Suspension

CR-T Recruit is designed more for mobility, getting place to place faster using "Boost Thrusters". Having "Cooling Units" also makes is easier to simply spam the Vulcan while disregarding heat generation over the Assault.

Assault is a better frontline mech and handles better in fights than Fred. "Fuel Tank" + "Air Dynamics" tie in if you want to fight from the sky, and "Hydraulics" + "Suspension" give you an edge in combat against slower mechs. It also has slightly higher base armor than the CR-T Recruit

I personally prefer the Assault as its more practical in combat and overheating even with the Vulcan generally shouldn't be a problem since you already have the ability "Water Coolant" The CR-T Recruit just feel too generic with nothing really unique or advantageous about it over other mechs.

#5 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted December 17 2013 - 07:20 PM

assault was before the CRT btw ;)
but other than that the posts above are pretty much it,
oh the CRT elite parts are the only ones witch actually change the mech lol
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#6 PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationWestern Wisconsin

Posted December 18 2013 - 11:24 AM

Is the assault worth spending my blue on_

#7 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted December 18 2013 - 12:09 PM

The CR-T works more like a tanker, while the Assault is more of a, you know, assaulter.
I`ll fix it later.

#8 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 12:27 PM

View Posthendman, on December 17 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

The main reason for the assaults existence has always been the impossibility to buy another CRT, so instead you can buy an Assault. Afaik that reason is still valid.

Technically it's not the same as it does have different tuning systems, therefore you can not have two different types of the same load out.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#9 Highchu

Highchu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted December 18 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostPoopSlinger, on December 18 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

Is the assault worth spending my blue on_

I'd hold out on the Assault until after you've tried out other mechs and played the CR-T Recruit a fair amount. If you've ranked up the CR-T and still really like the loadout then try the Assault, but they feel fundamentally the same.

#10 FenixStryk

FenixStryk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUS-East

Posted December 19 2013 - 03:24 AM

Most of the differences have been covered, but I'll take one last crack at it to drive the point home.

Prior to Ascension, Fred and Assault were nearly identical; the only difference was the skin, weapon unlock order and lack of beginner internals. For the most part, the Assault was functionally worse than Fred as it had a smaller internal selection and consumed more HC for the exact same output.

Ascension changed the Assault somewhat with the addition of secondary tuning systems. The Fred now wields more beginner-friendly secondary tunes, while the Assault has more intermediate/advanced-level options. Furthermore, the primary stats on these Mechs are somewhat different as well:

Fred:
870 Armor
Cooling Units
Boost Thrusters
Generator
Radar

Assault:
890 Armor
Air Dynamics
Suspensions
Fuel Tank
Hydraulics

For off-secondary tunes, the general theme is that the tunes they can't modify have higher bases than the one that can, but if you choose to specialize in it than you will be better than your doppelganger. The exceptions are Cooling Units (equal start), Suspensions (equal start) and Radar (Assault has 90m; Fred gets more regardless w/ 105m base).

All in all, Fred is far better suited to quick macro movement, better sustained output (CU) and ground combat, while the Assault has better burst movement (Susp.) and air movment (AD). Regrettably, they still share the same ability and weapon pool, but that's an issue shared by more than these two Mechs (see: Berserker, Bruiser; SS vs. Reaper).

I do think Adhesive has done some work to better differentiate these two Mechs, but like the Brawler I do feel that their job is incomplete and that more work should be done.

It was fun while it lasted.

#11 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted December 19 2013 - 02:50 PM

Yeah there really needs to be more to differentiate the two besides tuning. Fred is superior imo though. The boost thrusters and generator are a good combo

#12 angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
Posted December 21 2013 - 12:13 AM

go with FRED, if ur having a crazy game and sweeping t hem, stick with it..

but if u're dealing with a grit game where it's 50/50, go with the assault.

i only reccomend the CRT for sweeps.
    --[font=arial, sans-serif](◕_◕)    [/font]
Posted Image

#13 Granddaddypurp

Granddaddypurp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationReeferSide

Posted January 19 2014 - 05:39 PM

i rather not look like a stupid tv. such a stupid idea for trying to make a great mech game.....

#14 Apposl

Apposl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted January 19 2014 - 08:01 PM

View PostGranddaddypurp, on January 19 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

i rather not look like a stupid tv. such a stupid idea for trying to make a great mech game.....

I personally think Fred looks absolutely awesome completely leveled up, the upgraded parts totally change the look.

For example:

Posted Image

Edited by Apposl, January 19 2014 - 08:02 PM.

#15 Khadoran

Khadoran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 12:50 AM

I kinda dont see the point of the raider unless i want the same mech setup with something else..

D-vulcan recruit is working great for me.

#16 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 05:55 AM

I started using the assault recently, and did not change its primary weapon. I totally like assault, even though CR-T is super bad. I liked how fast or responsive Assault was compared to CR-T and the aerial combat is just awesome, the reason is with deflector equipped, you are technically boosting while in the air, so you get the 20% reduction in dmg and with maxed out Air Dynamics, its harder to be hit. That's why I like Assault over CR-T. Both are fun to use, but I have more fun in Assault.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#17 Lucier

Lucier

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted January 22 2014 - 06:24 AM

View PostLightangel112, on January 22 2014 - 05:55 AM, said:

I started using the assault recently, and did not change its primary weapon. I totally like assault, even though CR-T is super bad. I liked how fast or responsive Assault was compared to CR-T and the aerial combat is just awesome, the reason is with deflector equipped, you are technically boosting while in the air, so you get the 20% reduction in dmg and with maxed out Air Dynamics, its harder to be hit. That's why I like Assault over CR-T. Both are fun to use, but I have more fun in Assault.

Deflectors actually aren't activated by simply flying.

#18 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted January 24 2014 - 04:15 AM

View PostLucier, on January 22 2014 - 06:24 AM, said:

The item says active while dodging and boosting, ur telling me that using boost to jump or fly doesn't work_

Edited by Lightangel112, January 24 2014 - 04:35 AM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#19 Lucier

Lucier

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted January 24 2014 - 04:53 AM

View PostLightangel112, on January 24 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

View PostLucier, on January 22 2014 - 06:24 AM, said:

The item says active while dodging and boosting, ur telling me that using boost to jump or fly doesn't work_

That is correct. The damage reduction from deflectors only activates during a dodge or while boosting forward. Jumping/flying/hovering does not activate the effect.

#20 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted January 25 2014 - 04:56 AM

I find the CR-T to be more fun to use since it can easily be tuned into a tank-like mech. And with its radar it is efficient to find other pilots. And for those who have seen my CR-T, you can make it look bloody awesome.
I`ll fix it later.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users