HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

ISM disruptor

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FuryMonster

FuryMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted December 18 2013 - 06:56 PM

so currently the ISM disruptor is pretty lackluster, I've thought of a few slight changes that could make this a viable item.

Make the item a have a "hold/charge" feature like HE grenade does where the longer you hold it the further it goes. this will allow you to throw it short distance or long distances what ever the situation calls for, rather than it the current " you throw it X meters" this would open up bouncing it off certain walls throughout the map for some interesting gameplay.

If the mechanic above was implemented you could also introduce a "timer effect" where it explodes in 1.5 seconds without a charge and 2-3 with a charge these numbers again are just being thrown out there but its something to think about.

currently you have very little control over how far it goes and personaly I think the timer for it to explode is about
(0.5 - 0.75) seconds too long it leaves way too much room for the enemy to escape rendering this item completly useless most of the time I've used it

another option would be to give this a manual detonation like the Detonator has so you can fully control the item, I think at that point it would need further adjustments that arent stated above because it would be a bit strong for its current duration.

Please leave the discussions on this topic on point and constructive. I think this item has potential to see gameplay in the future with slight adjustments and I would love to hear what you guys think about what I've suggested

Edited by FuryMonster, December 18 2013 - 07:10 PM.

Want to watch high tier scrims, clan and league matches_ Check out my YouTube! --->https://www.youtube....low=grid&view=0

#2 Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBeing a Turnip.

Posted January 03 2014 - 02:29 AM

That seems a very good idea. I too am frustrated with the fact that I can't seem to hit anything with my ISM MK-II, as it only really works if you shoot it from behind someone, but then they can hear it anyway and run away. A manual detonation and a charger would be more useful, as then you can charge it, shoot it at someone and, before it even has chance to touch the ground, detonate and temporarily blind them, which would make it, I think, a better item, as it could do what it was designed to, not just be used and wasted.

Thanks for making a thread about it :)
Posted ImageWhoever said Turnips couldn't play Video Games was wrong. Probably.
Spoiler

#3 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted January 03 2014 - 01:18 PM

It's also pretty hard to tell if the mechs you use it on get hit.

#4 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted January 03 2014 - 07:41 PM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on January 03 2014 - 01:18 PM, said:

It's also pretty hard to tell if the mechs you use it on get hit.

Good.  I don;t mind if you make it a little more effective - I think currently it 'strobes' it's effectiveness in a 30' beam - but don't add a telltale.
Posted Image

#5 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted January 04 2014 - 01:57 PM

Charging up I can agree with, but no shortening of the timer because the effect is strong with a big radius.
A hit indicator would be nice, too.

#6 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted January 06 2014 - 09:43 AM

I drop what I'm doing and get outta Dodge when I see one. I hate being blinded in this game (can only do so much w/ just sound).
I rarely get caught by one. I boost around like an idiot when I do, and pray.

#7 FuryMonster

FuryMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted January 17 2014 - 06:03 PM

I agree that there should be a hit indicator for anything that can hit the enemy.
Want to watch high tier scrims, clan and league matches_ Check out my YouTube! --->https://www.youtube....low=grid&view=0

#8 Paschar

Paschar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted January 20 2014 - 05:14 PM

Am I mad or is it just me that notices that debuff icons by player names_ If someone is debuffed by the tech, they have a little purple icon by their name.  If they are hit with emp or ism I think it's yellow.  

Or are we talking about something else_

#9 Hocisern

Hocisern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted January 27 2014 - 11:50 AM

Yes, Paschar - there are indicators both for your mech and for other mechs above and below the hp bar for all effects in the game (including the ISM). I, personally think, they are a) a little small, B) a little too similar.

For instance, the "this person have been emp-ed" icon and the "this person has been ism-ed" icons are so similar I have trouble telling them apart. Which means I'm not sure if a mech can't see me or if a mech can't fire at me - my behavior in each case is different so that's problematic.

To reply to the Fury, though (little bit of a necro, sorry), I like all the suggestions you proposed here. The manual denotation would be fantastic, in particular.

#10 Muffintrumpet

Muffintrumpet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 04:53 AM

I'd prefer the manual detonation mechanic
once again this is an item that affects the heavy mechs far more often than it does the light ones, and whilst manual detonation won't do anything to reverse that for the heavy mechs it might snag a few more light mechs than it currently does thus slightly narrowing the anti-heavy bias that all of these projectile items seem to have

"To the untrained eye this chart may indeed appear to demonstrate a steep and sustained downward trend; however, what you're actually seeing is the line being dragged down because of the strengthening gravitational pull of a player base that is actually increasing in density.  Rest assured, this is all going completely according to plan."

#11 X3P0

X3P0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 03:09 PM

I agree either a reduction in the time it takes for the flashbang to activate or a change in its mechanics is due and that the original poster is on to something here. I think originally perhaps the timing was set to ensure some sort of skill or tact could be applied to its use allowing for deeper gameplay and strategy, but I too find myself thinking we would not lose anything in a reduction in the activation time. I also like that the poster goes to the next step and suggests other changes might be needed as to make the item not too powerful - noting the effect it has it pretty powerful but perhaps it could be toned back in duration to apply its effect quicker or the other details discussed +1.

#12 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted February 01 2014 - 09:29 PM

After using it in the scrims tonight I have to say its far more useful than I expected. It definitely could be made a lot more useful with remote detonation but I'd like to see it remain as it is now and give it some more time to try it out. I hope they keep the short time it takes for it to explode like in the rank 3 version, I could see it becoming a very unusable item if it's too long. Turning corners into 3-4 blinded players is quite the enjoyable sight, I recommend everyone see it.

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users