HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Predator Vs Infiltrator

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Kurodani

Kurodani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted December 29 2013 - 09:34 PM

Heyo.

My question is this: Which is better, Predator or Infiltrator_

To elaborate more, I love the Predator. I love it a lot, and I can do really good with it, but at times I can also do really bad with it. The main problem I have though, is that I feel it's outclassed by the Infiltrator in it's role, which is going around and getting pick offs/Clean ups(Traps can count towards that). Whenever I see an infiltrator play, I just feel useless. Infiltrator is faster, has bigger burst with it's weapons, and it's cloak, while different and draining fuel, doesn't decloak while taking damage.

I know the Predator has a bigger health pool, but in a game where dodging and avoiding damage counts more then tanking it, I don't feel that's really relevant. Not only that, but the Infiltrator has a much easier time fighting on the front lines then a predator does, and it's weapons are much more reliable then the predators for consistent damage output.

So, here is my main point: Should I put down Predator and pick up Infiltrator_ Or am I over thinking things_ I just feel like that in the right hands of a person who knows what they're doing, the Infiltrator will always beat the Predator in the Assassin/Stealth Role, and I always want to help my team out by doing the best in that sort of role.

Thoughts_

#2 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted December 29 2013 - 10:00 PM

Welp ; it's simple ! the rule says ; play what's better for your team ! if you have good a-class pilots in yo team , play your pred and believe in yourself.
else , if your pred won't do the job ... play infil.
else do what you like :D
So now we can say that ; you play pred for fun , infil in critical situations.

Posted Image

#3 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted December 29 2013 - 10:42 PM

In terms of performance and effectiveness in combat, Infil. In terms of ambushing and stealth Pred.

I don't know how many people know this, but a maxed out hydraulics Pred actually walks faster than the infil. Add that with the preds naturally higher armor you would think that the pred had the advantage, but strangely enough thats not the case. The pred is less forgiving that the infil, partly because most of the pred's weapons have an extremely long reload time, so you really can not miss any of your shots. Combine that with the pred's secondary, which is one of the two only sustain secondary weapons in the game, meaning that its damage is spread out over time rather than all at once, its an extremely difficult mech to use in head to head combat.

The Pre does however make for a better intel and recon mech, as it can see through walls and remain invisible until shot, its a great mech to have to allow your team to find the other team and get the drop on them before they find you. Its also a scavenger so you help your team by taking out that one guy that got away.

Honestly I would say infil is the better mech, because even if you are caught you can still defend yourself pretty well. This is not so much the case with the pred, once your caught your pretty much
Posted Image

Edited by ShadowWarg, December 29 2013 - 11:48 PM.

#4 RozerMahbub_

RozerMahbub_

fishy scout

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationTorino,To-10125 ,italy

Posted December 30 2013 - 01:19 AM

infl. is best B)

Posted Image

I DON'T CARE

i want to tell you a true story , once upon a time everyone was a perfect pure NOOB ^_^

#5 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted December 30 2013 - 01:33 AM

I thought the Pred was poor in direct combat until I switched RMB and LMB while playing it tonight. I realized I was missing a large chunk of DPS because I wasn't used to spamming my secondary, and the Pred actually puts out a huge amount of DPS assuming you hit all of your shots. It can do ~155.5 DPS without Weapons Loader, which is more than the rest of the mechs aside from ones equipped with Miniflak/Vulcan+TOW/GL. Obviously I'm going to have to train myself to use the mouse buttons in the correct way, but temporarily switching them showed me the potential and versatility of the Pred.

Assuming you have good accuracy, there's no reason you can't beat a decent Infil in CQC--you just have to play Pred in a completely different way than the rest of the mechs to do so. And make sure you watch your heat very carefully, because the EOC-P generates a ton (imo way too much for its effectiveness) of it.

#6 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted December 30 2013 - 04:02 AM

The predator is the highest attainable dps of any mech in the game(180 without weapon loader), when fully mastered it is a major threat. If your a PHENOMENAL shot then go ahead with the predator but for your average Joe infiltrator is a better choice. I doubt you'll see many predators in comp play but, I'd love to be wrong.

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#7 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 30 2013 - 05:39 AM

If what you have in mind is the final ScoreBoard after a match then the Infil is "better". Fr oma gameplay stand point I find the Pred much more fun and interesting due to its high specialization and set of inherent possibilities on the battlefield. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#8 Kurodani

Kurodani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted December 30 2013 - 07:32 AM

JeffMagnum, on December 30 2013 - 01:33 AM, said:

I thought the Pred was poor in direct combat until I switched RMB and LMB while playing it tonight. I realized I was missing a large chunk of DPS because I wasn't used to spamming my secondary, and the Pred actually puts out a huge amount of DPS assuming you hit all of your shots. It can do ~155.5 DPS without Weapons Loader, which is more than the rest of the mechs aside from ones equipped with Miniflak/Vulcan+TOW/GL. Obviously I'm going to have to train myself to use the mouse buttons in the correct way, but temporarily switching them showed me the potential and versatility of the Pred.

Assuming you have good accuracy, there's no reason you can't beat a decent Infil in CQC--you just have to play Pred in a completely different way than the rest of the mechs to do so. And make sure you watch your heat very carefully, because the EOC-P generates a ton (imo way too much for its effectiveness) of it.

Well, that's assuming you have good accuracy. I'm not saying Predator is bad, no, I love it to death, but comparing it to the Infil in CQC it's at a distinct disadvantage not because of damage but because of the nature of it's weapons. I use the Breacher for it's powerful ambush and follow up damage of the One-Two Punch(Charge up a shot, then an uncharged shot, allows for a briefly faster fire rate and burst) and the EOC-Pred. The problem against mechs that will dodge(which is the grand majority) is that you have a weapon that you must aim directly at them to do damage, and the other which you must lead due to travel time and no forgiveness for missing(Unlike Tow and Grenade, which you can detonate mid air), since unless they're a bad player, most people are going to jump and get mobile after being ambushed by a Pred. This means that maximizing DPS on the Pred is far, far harder then it is to do then on other mechs, and even if it is higher, it doesn't mean much if you miss even a single shot, because of the preds high heat gain and long reload on primary. This is not the case for the infiltrator, who only needs to lead with his(Usually) HEAT and Grenade Launcher, both of which do High damage burst, and he has mobilty to help him with that, and can dodge far easier if he misses.

But, I'll take the advice :)  I'll pick up Infiltrator for when our team is losing and see how well I'll do from that, and use the suppport utility of the heat sensing for my team while Pred(I already do to an extent, marking enemy locations, etc etc). Thanks for the information!

#9 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted December 30 2013 - 08:25 AM

both are bad, bugged and have weird tunings.

Plus you can't detonate mines in midair.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#10 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted December 30 2013 - 09:12 AM

JeffMagnum, on December 30 2013 - 01:33 AM, said:

I just tried this. Works surprisingly well.

#11 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 30 2013 - 10:54 AM

FakeName, on December 30 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

both are bad, bugged and have weird tunings.

Plus you can't detonate mines in midair.

That's crucial in - remarkably evident in 1vs1- encounters against every other mech class. I'd like and I've suggested to be able of detonating Pred EOC pucks in mid-air -as well..

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#12 MrWilpon

MrWilpon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted December 30 2013 - 08:19 PM

Ironically , predator is pretty good at haunting infiltrator because it can see through their cloak...

#13 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted December 30 2013 - 09:01 PM

The only thing I want is for Pred and Infil's cloaks to be harder to see (besides tweaking Pred's secondary).  As of right now, they are easy to spot (it looks as if you're looking through a foggy blurred up window) and that's no fun for Preds and Infils who have to deal with the fact that their abilities are very fragile (more so the Predator).

#14 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted December 30 2013 - 10:36 PM

Hijinks_The_Turtle, on December 30 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

The only thing I want is for Pred and Infil's cloaks to be harder to see (besides tweaking Pred's secondary).  As of right now, they are easy to spot (it looks as if you're looking through a foggy blurred up window) and that's no fun for Preds and Infils who have to deal with the fact that their abilities are very fragile (more so the Predator).

NOPE

Edited by shosca, December 30 2013 - 10:37 PM.

#15 Colluphid

Colluphid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted December 30 2013 - 10:41 PM

I've been playing the Predator a lot lately, and it seems like people walk right past me ALL THE TIME. I get a little chuckle out of it. It you're walking directly at someone's center of vision, they'll definitely spot you. I think it depends on the environment the rest of the time, though. In some areas with very simple terrain, I feel like the Predator is too easy to spot. Although, it still depends on how closely people are looking. A nice middle ground might be to keep the blur effect like it is now when you're moving, but make it more subtle when standing still.

#16 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted December 31 2013 - 12:02 AM

Colluphid, on December 30 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

I've been playing the Predator a lot lately, and it seems like people walk right past me ALL THE TIME. I get a little chuckle out of it. It you're walking directly at someone's center of vision, they'll definitely spot you. I think it depends on the environment the rest of the time, though. In some areas with very simple terrain, I feel like the Predator is too easy to spot. Although, it still depends on how closely people are looking. A nice middle ground might be to keep the blur effect like it is now when you're moving, but make it more subtle when standing still.

That's exactly what I've been doing, trying to keep away from being directly in front of them.

shosca, on December 30 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

NOPE

May I ask why_

#17 MrWilpon

MrWilpon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted December 31 2013 - 09:04 AM

I think it would be realy interesting if predator and infiltrator had different cloaking efficiencies based on the speed they are moving.

I feel current visibility is pretty fair when walking but should be more efficient when standing doing nothing, waiting for an ambush and less efficient when boosting like crazy.

Edited by MrWilpon, December 31 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#18 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted December 31 2013 - 09:38 AM

@^

That actually makes sense.  Someone also made a post on the forums like that. It was something like how the Infiltrator in Planetside 2 had something called a "deep cloak" (I'm not sure if that's the right word) and if you stood still for a couple of seconds, the cloak would make you even less visible than when you're moving.  This would be great for both the Infiltrator and the Predator!

#19 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted December 31 2013 - 01:37 PM

Hijinks_The_Turtle, on December 31 2013 - 12:02 AM, said:

May I ask why_

They are not easy to spot if you know how to approach your target.

Besides, fully invisible eoc/gl/det-mkIII no-skill face hugging alphas that you have no way to see or retaliate will get you 168+150+140=458, or eoc/gl/he-mkIII 168+150+175=493, would you like that_

Edited by shosca, December 31 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#20 evilMonkeyKING

evilMonkeyKING

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted January 01 2014 - 10:34 PM

Infiltrator by a mile.

The prediator would be good if it didn'at have the stupid secondary weapon (at least make it able to charge and shot multiple shots). Every other mech has high damage burst secondary while the Predator has the stupid single shot EOC.

Edited by evilMonkeyKING, January 01 2014 - 10:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users