HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Limited use of items

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted December 31 2013 - 05:21 PM

I think I read that in earlier version of game, you could use items only once per match_  Is this correct_  I assume people felt it too restrictive and that's why the item cooldown system is in place.  But I am curious for those who played back then if it would be feasible to put some sort of restriction in place_

Right now if I die, all my countdowns reset.

I'll be honest in that against better players I benefit b/c I can shoot off all my items die and respawn to use them again before their cooldown is over.  

Maybe that is intentional to help the lesser player_

My gut feeling is that the item cooldown shouldn't reset w/ death (if anything add 10 secs) or that items should be restricted to a total use of three per match_  

What do you guys think_
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TAW Recruitment[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

#2 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 31 2013 - 05:38 PM

Items could just have a persistent cooldown even after death. Meaning that once used they are put on cooldown regardless of death. So if I was alive and I used my repair charge and it goes on cooldown for say 70 sec then it stays on cooldown as I respawn.

Posted Image

#3 tek1

tek1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationBavaria

Posted December 31 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostDFTR, on December 31 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

My gut feeling is that the item cooldown shouldn't reset w/ death
/sign

...items should be restricted to a total use of three per match_
nooo. just..... no.

#4 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted January 08 2014 - 01:58 PM

i'd like to see a global persistant cooldown as well.  

i think it'd make since for them to make items only usable once per life as well, in order to combat the defender's advantage so prevailent in siege mode and entrenched tdm's

#5 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted January 09 2014 - 06:26 PM

View PostLeonhardt, on December 31 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

Items could just have a persistent cooldown even after death. Meaning that once used they are put on cooldown regardless of death. So if I was alive and I used my repair charge and it goes on cooldown for say 70 sec then it stays on cooldown as I respawn.

THIS, i'm so tired of killing players after using my items only to run into them with a fresh set of their own that they just used before they died. With items being so strong that when a player doesn't have them up it can very much influence the battle I would very much like to see this change implemented, how it would work in between switching mechs though is something I couldn't really find a solution to myself.

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#6 Greenvalv

Greenvalv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 08:34 AM

Right now if I die, all my countdowns reset.

View PostLeonhardt, on December 31 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

I remember the first time I realized I could use the item(s) immediately as I spawn that I had just used before I died.  It just felt imbalanced to me.

This needs to also apply to mech abilities methinks.

Perfect example happened last week:  I kill a tech green beaming and then proceed to attempt to kill the C-mech he was healing.  Get ambushed by another C-mech.  Proceed to dance 2v1 and bring both down to within a hair of death.  Same tech I killed respawns nearby and proceeds to green beam both C-mechs.  I die.  Cue obligatory tech rage implosion...

So yeah, I've been thinking of something like this for mech abilities but it should really apply to cooldowns across the board during a match.

Edited by Greenvalv, January 10 2014 - 11:49 PM.

Posted Image

#7 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 09:03 PM

I also want to see ability and item cool downs persist through respawns.

#8 KORJ666

KORJ666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationRUS

Posted March 14 2014 - 11:05 AM

+ Global cooldown, independent of death.

Let item level effect on rate of recharge.

Metal teeth, a diamond smile
Mechanical jaws, a 2 ton bite
With winter frost, an atomic pile
We stand the ground where the big dogs fight

#9 teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 04:49 AM

How is this different than other FPS games that let you throw grenades as soon as you spawn_ I don't see where this is an issue because Hawken is not doing something different here compared to other FPS games.

If I spawn, I don't want to have to wait to use my equipment, its there for a reason and I spend a lot of points on them.

They already limited them anyway, you used to not have a limited amount, they used to just be on a cool down, you could use as many as you like while you stay alive. The timer reset on spawn of course.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users