HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Scanner doesn't reveal invisible units

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Zanozus

Zanozus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted January 02 2014 - 05:12 AM

Before Ascension update scanner revealed invisible units on radar such as Infiltrator or Predator.
Scanner was the most unpopular item in the game all the time. Now, it's useless.
In addition, I have one suggestion. Make Hellfire missiles (and Seeker) be induced only on radar visible units.

sry for possible mistakes

Edited by Zanozus, January 02 2014 - 07:28 AM.

#2 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted January 02 2014 - 06:31 AM

Correction, it still shows invisible units.

-end

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#3 Zanozus

Zanozus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted January 02 2014 - 07:08 AM

No, it doesnt' show invisible units ON RADAR, it just mark them "Enemy detected"

#4 Zanozus

Zanozus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted January 02 2014 - 07:16 AM

I mean Scanner must reveal invisible units ON RADAR not on the screen.

#5 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted January 02 2014 - 07:50 AM

I will check this and verify.

p.s. +10 internets for Cat King avataar - I watched the cat returns with my father in law yesterday.
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#6 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted January 02 2014 - 08:50 AM

I can't test this but I'm almost certain it does show them on radar. Either way this item is not useless and was made even better when it's size was increased. No you won't see a player using it in random pub games but, in teamplay this item is one of my favorites. This item gives you something no other item does, a strategic advantage. The item requires lots of map knowledge so you can determine where good radar spots are(eg near the jump pads on front line.) In objective based game mode comp play I think 2 mk3 radars are almost necessary, certain maps may need more or less(facility.)

To be honest I hope I'm wrong and stealth units don't show up, they're already clearly visible why do you want to castrate the abilities one redeeming quality.

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#7 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted January 02 2014 - 09:31 AM

View PostZanozus, on January 02 2014 - 07:08 AM, said:

No, it doesnt' show invisible units ON RADAR, it just mark them "Enemy detected"

It does when I use it ...

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#8 irish_00

irish_00

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationKiev

Posted January 18 2014 - 03:08 PM

actually, yes.
it gives an "enemy spotted" message.
regarding hf rockets - devs said that they can be locked on heat generating targets and thats how its gonna work (should be in Cockpit stream of 8th of January if not mistaking; or previous one).

Edited by irish_00, January 18 2014 - 03:09 PM.

#9 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted January 19 2014 - 01:17 PM

View PostZanozus, on January 02 2014 - 05:12 AM, said:

Before Ascension update scanner revealed invisible units on radar such as Infiltrator or Predator.
Scanner was the most unpopular item in the game all the time. Now, it's useless.
In addition, I have one suggestion. Make Hellfire missiles (and Seeker) be induced only on radar visible units.
Stealth is supposed to hide you from radar, including the scanner.  It would be terrible to have your class ability completely negated by an item that doesn't even have to hit you.  The "enemy spotted" alert is quite sufficient.

You just aren't thinking tactically.  For defense, the MK-III scanner is extremely powerful, as it makes sneak attacks impossible for anything but a stealth mech or sniper.  Use it in siege or missile assault and it can really help your team.  Put it on a grenadier with a rev-gl and you can send a barrage of explosives around a corner at an enemy who hasn't even seen you yet.

Edited by WarlordZ, January 19 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#10 -Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted January 19 2014 - 05:26 PM

Whenever enemy mechs are already facing their guns toward me when I try to flank them solo, walking there the whole time, only cloaked just before I get around the corner, I immediately wonder if they're using a MKIII scanner, where it might be, and who might be the one putting them down. I've seen them used quite often, especially the MKIII, but they may be seen less than those more tempting offense-based items.

Cloaked mechs should not show up with Scanners. Cloaked mechs already have to tread lightly, work hard, and think hard to be effective, and they're good counters to such items. A well-placed Scanner can be extremely difficult to get to, and they offer a large tactical advantage to a team if the other team doesn't have one. Mechs that can sneak in unseen and take them out are necessary for such situations. If Scanners showed cloaked mechs on radar, they'd lose what little good they've got left (thanks, fuel-gulping Infil cloak).

#11 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted January 19 2014 - 06:17 PM

I've noticed very odd behaviour. I can see boosting invisible infils showing up on radar much more often. And as of the latest patch, I've had a portable scanner up and some invisible units didn't light up.

So as of now, infil cloak is bugged as heck. Predator variant seems to work better or as intended, as that doesn't involve boosting anyway.

#12 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 20 2014 - 05:06 AM

Portable Scanners does not -and should not never..- make Infils- or preds- to render on radar.

On the other hand one NEUTRAL enemy sighted alert on whether there's a cloacked enemy CLOSE TO YOU -meaning with that just letting you know on that some bad guy is around and getting close to you- woud not be a terrible idea. But again, one neutral alert without revealing his/her position on the map nor rendering him/her on radar neither.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. And yep, Preds arecurrently enjoying of much better visual cloacking effects than Infils. Ergo more effective -from an stealth stand point- on the BF.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#13 BaoWolf

BaoWolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 08:35 PM

Saying the most used and op item in dm and maybe the game is useless is just trolling :)

#14 kanamisan

kanamisan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 01:48 AM

View PostBaoWolf, on April 04 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

Saying the most used and op item in dm and maybe the game is useless is just trolling :)
I have seen a lot of them placed down, by skilled player far above our mmr, they are very powerful. being able to see where hostile mechs are with in a area is very powerful, remember that walking is done to move with out using fuel or appearning on radar, this way they can get to a strong attack point or ambush point with out being attacked or with out having the other team alerted. the cost is that for many mechs, its very slow, so it hurts to have all of that prep and time (which is a very important resorce) wasted. now on tdm, I can understand that it might not seem useful, but it is, and much more so on objective game modes like ma and seige. in short, when people have the backround skill to be able to use the info, the scanner is so op. but if your just playing with normal noobs, it has very little effect.

#15 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted April 05 2014 - 07:05 AM

Scanner still has an extreme effect in TDM, especially when the enemy team is using an Infiltator/Scout mix. They move so fast you need to know when you're getting attacked and where it will come from.

Need to buy 2-slot Scanner/Scrambler eventually for all of my mechs.

Edited by Stingz, April 05 2014 - 07:06 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#16 SuperSpartacus

SuperSpartacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWestern MA, US

Posted April 06 2014 - 06:23 AM

If you currently think, or ever thought, that the scanner was underpowered/useless, your opinion is completely trash. Sorry, but step your game up, item is fuzzy bunny overpowered atm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users