HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Grenadier - how do i set it up_

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Khadoran

Khadoran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted January 14 2014 - 10:19 AM

Just maxed out my bruiser and got this beast.

No idea what internals and items to buy, I got maxed armor fusion since i kinda tend to allways get that and the heatcannon for weapon cause its new, but the rest im not sure..

Items_! more internals.. HELP!

#2 Greenvalv

Greenvalv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted January 14 2014 - 10:32 AM

Heat Cannon_  Pffft, Rev-GL grenade spam 4 life...

I roll HE Grenade and either Rocket Turret or Detonator items for more explosive spam.

Internals:  Failsafe, you will hit yourself repeatedly (at least my idiot self does).
Posted Image

#3 Cannonaire

Cannonaire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationUSW

Posted January 14 2014 - 10:37 AM

Armor fusor is generally a good idea on C-Class mechs because it is percentage based; they will naturally benefit more from it than mechs with lower armor. I actually just maxed out my Bruiser about 45 minutes ago, so I don't know what works well for Grenadier yet.

Based on experience, I would avoid using a shield because it won't protect you from EMP, to which you are already highly susceptible. Blockade or something offensive would probably work well, as you can lob grenades over it. Something like a MK3 turret would also help to draw fire away from you and damage your enemies some.
Cannonaire - Think millionaire, but with cannons.
HC/MC Calculator (thread) UPDATED 2013/12/21

#4 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted January 14 2014 - 10:43 AM

You need to pick a style of play. All three weapons offer very different playstyles. Rev-gl is awesome for area denial, bouncing shots off walls and punishing balls of death. Heat is great for direct attacking and area damage. Vulcan is spray and pray mayhem and i fairly good on grenadier thanks to cooling units.

Items and internals change depending on playstyle. General good combo is adv repair kit + extractor + repair charge. I'm a huge fan of the portable scanner (wallhacks) but I like fighting around walls.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#5 Khadoran

Khadoran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted January 14 2014 - 11:35 AM

right, im gonna need failsafe.
Hrm, might try a big turret, felt i had enough bombs after changing weapon back to double launchers.

Heat cannon was hard to hit with, but maybe thats just practice_.

Edited by Khadoran, January 14 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#6 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted January 14 2014 - 08:26 PM

HEAT cannon takes practice, it's a tricky weapon to handle, but once mastered, it's a beast.

The following comes from someone who mains the Grenadier. (PSST it's me)

The weapon you choose as your primary really does dictate its playstyle.  HEAT cannon is a good all-round weapon that can work at all ranges. Takes practice to master, especially charged vs uncharged shots. I personally haven't mastered the HEAT cannon, and doubt I ever will (just isn't my cup of tea).  Vulcan makes you more of a front line enforcing mech.  The Vulcan + GL is a potent combo, especially paired with the damage boosting turret mode.  I've done a lot of damage to opposing mechs with the Vulcan Gren.  There's also the Rev-GL, which is amazing for area denial, shooting over hills, and bouncing around corners and off of walls. However, the Rev-GL is viable in a non-area-denial way if you learn to time your shots just right and bounce your Rev grenades into opponents, and if they fly, if you nail them directly with a Rev nade (or even if they're not flying, direct hits always hurt!), that's 75 damage a pop; in short, that's a lot of damage if you hit all your shots, which is really the optimal thing to be doing. It does take quite a bit of practice.

Items, I run Repair Charge + HE Charge/Detonator.  HE Charge/Detonator for that extra explosive punch and the Repair Charge for a quick drink of armor so I can jump right back in.  The HE Charge/Detonator can easily be swapped with an EMP or a Shield if those are more your style.  A Turret can work for you, but I find that turrets aren't exactly the greatest in the kinds of places you'll be fighting.  Carrying turrets, for me, is dependent on the map, so I hardly carry turrets because I can't swap out if I don't want it for that particular map.  Honestly, the items are up to you because it would reflect who you are as a player.

Internals: Advanced Repair Kit, Failsafe, Basic Fuel Converter (I may switch the Fuel Converter out soon).  Adv Repair Kit for more armor regen from orbs, Failsafe for protecting myself from my own explosives during CQC scenarios. Fuel Converter for more fuel if I get damaged, which is quite often, but I'm considering swapping it out for something else I haven't decided yet.

The mech as a whole is very versatile because it has the weapons to fit any scenario, plus it has a decent turret mode paired with a good amount of health.

Edited by Silverfire, January 15 2014 - 01:43 PM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#7 Khadoran

Khadoran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted January 15 2014 - 07:53 PM

Been playing abit more..
Internals ::advanced armor fusion, repair kit, basic failsafe :
items : repair charge III, HE charge I
weapon :Heatcannon..

Even though the double bombs setup is fun, People often shoot me from range where i couldnt hit back and that frustrated me..
The internals feels solid, just not set on the HE charge, but il stick with it abit more, cost alot to just try items, repair charge is great.

#8 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted January 15 2014 - 08:37 PM

The HE Charge takes a lot of practice to use effectively, requires more skill to use. Repair Charge is a good way to go, and practice practice practice is how you get good at the Heat Cannon (although do learn the Rev-GL and the Vulcan when you get it). The Grenadier is one of the most versatile mechs out there, get good with it! :)

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#9 ecaflip

ecaflip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationFlying with glorious air dynamics

Posted January 19 2014 - 11:00 PM

Small little thread bump.

For those of you recommending to run failsafe, I'd strongly advise against it.  Sure the 30/60% damage reduction is nice, but it completely shuts you off from much better internal options.  If you're a really good shot and can play to the grenadier's strengths (area denile/frontline/all-range) the damage reduction from failsafes won't be playing as much of a key part as one would assume, unless you have the insatiable urge to facehug everything with a MK 2 HE charge and detonator 24/7 coupled with a rev-gl.  As a Rev-GL user, I almost always run a MK 3 emp coupled with a MK 1 radar scrambler.  Why scrambler_ because messing with your opponent's radar forces them to either charge, or stay behind cover waiting for you to make a move.  If they try to peek-a-boo you, you can fire behind cover with the rev+gl combo and walk to the other side of them that they will usually dash into, almost guaranteeing you direct hits.  I like to use EMP because the grenadier doesn't have much sustained dps not does it have quick burst outside of it's secondary.  Shutting down your opponent's weapons to squeeze in some extra damage really helps, especially since some people run away, which if you're using the rev+gl combo, won't be much of a problem once you can calculate how far you need to arc and lead your shots.  The grenade launcher is deceptively fast and makes securing kills quite easy.
For internals, I'd recommend the following:
Advanced/Basic Armor Fusor: The grenadier is an assist king, if you stick with the pack, you will have a steady supply of extra health with little to no down time
Replenisher: Same reason for Armor fusor, EMP/DET/Repair Charge users will love this internal
Failsafe/Basic Failsafe: Damage reduction from self damage, kind of a crutch, but can save your fuzzy bunny
Deflectors/Basic: C class mechs have a large hit box, even with their dodge, it can be easy to land shots on the big beefy guys, deflectors help mitigate some of the damage.  Also grenadier is relatively slow of a C class, the defense boost from boosting will help it escape more easily
Repair Kit/Advanced: C class mechs simply have a larger armor pool, the repair kits gives them more armor per orb, sometimes preventing the need to use a repair drone
Extractor/Basic: Faster health extraction/EU extraction means less downtime and more fighting/helping your team.  I prefer using Repair kits on all C class mechs except for Brawler due to more health simply being better than having less health, but only faster.
Posted Image
I'm I'm playing, I'm more than likely streaming. Come watch me at twitch.tv/bugzdood (i wish I had a better twitch name)

#10 Khadoran

Khadoran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 12:45 AM

Right now im trying out the radar II along with repaircharge II
Was thinking it would help me from getting sneak up on when in turret mode, and i do really like my turret mode on this one, the extra radius and what not is really noticable.

Now if this warrant a radar or not.. maybe i can get away with radar I and upgrade my repaircharge, but thats alot of extra cash to test.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users