HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

HAWKEN Tips and Tricks Thread

Beta Community Game

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#1 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted November 03 2012 - 08:09 PM

POPULAR

Hi All,

Just thought I would make a tips/tricks thread. I did this for my old BFBC2 clan and it seemed to benefit the members, so I thought I would do the same here :) . I did a quick forum search, and I didn't really find anything like this, so I guess here it is XD

This is meant for anyone to contribute to and view, so if you have any input, etc, feel free to put it here. I'll see if I can consolidate everything into my post now and again (and I'll put whoever contributed to it also)

Anyway, these are some things I found particularly useful from CBE1 (onwards_)

Game Status: Open Beta! - Ascension Update!

Updates coming soon

Contributors
Spoiler

FAQs
Over here now:
http://community.pla...120#entry190224

Technical/computer
Over here now:
http://community.pla...120#entry190226

Useful Threads and Links List
Spoiler

Notes regarding stats
Spoiler

Mechs
Spoiler

Prestige/Level 25 Weapons
Spoiler

Maps
Spoiler

Gameplay and Tactics
Spoiler

Mech Movement and Engagements
Spoiler

Items
Spoiler

Internals
Spoiler

Countermeasures
Spoiler

Weapons and Aiming
Spoiler

Abilities
Spoiler

Optimizations
Spoiler

Game Modes
Spoiler

HUD and UI
Spoiler

Long Posts
Spoiler

Settings and Console Commands
Spoiler

Personal_
Spoiler

Videos
Spoiler

Edited by ArnieF4440, September 24 2013 - 02:57 AM.

Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#2 Xyzz

Xyzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationUnknown

Posted November 03 2012 - 08:13 PM

I will follow up with this thread.

Posted Image

#3 SystemiK

SystemiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 10:47 PM

I have a feeling this is going to be a very popular thread some day...thanks.

- you can use the repair option to put yourself into 3rd person view for a few moments...useful for looking over walls, around corners etc.  The trade-off is that you are extremely vulnerable during that time.  (not sure how I feel about this, it seems a bit "exploity", but then again you are a sitting duck so it seems to be a fair trade off).
There is no time like time wasted...

#4 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 03 2012 - 11:49 PM

A few things I picked up during the alpha slash beta, as well as some general advice:
  • Shields can be used defensively to block off longer chock points; useful if you close to capturing a silo.
  • I've had a lot of success with turrets by jamming them at the intersection of two walls; especially useful in Siege Mode on Titan when there is usually at least one mech occupying a silo.
  • During deathmatches, try to look out for multiple blips on your map; it's much easier to finish off players that are already weakened from an engagement.
  • Don't boost everywhere!
  • Play the objective!

#5 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 03 2012 - 11:50 PM

SystemiK, on November 03 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

You can use the repair option to put yourself into 3rd person view for a few moments... useful for looking over walls, around corners etc.

Love the 3rd person view tip!

#6 EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted November 04 2012 - 01:55 AM

Hellfire Missiles
You do not need to hold the 'weapon ability' button (mouse button 3 by default) to enable the lock on, only to click it once then when your reticule passes over a target (enemy mech) it will 'lock-on' with a 'lock' sound and UI effect.
Remember though, if you click the 'lock-on' button and do not see any enemies, it will time-out and you will need to activate it again.

When Firing the rockets It is often best NOT to fire directly at the target but where you imagine they might be heading towards, and when firing from some distance over an open space try firing the rockets (after lock-on) at an upwards angle so they can travel over obstacles and act with a mortar style effect.
Posted Image

#7 cunningStunts

cunningStunts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 06:56 AM

As another said, in deathmatch or TDM always look for groups on the radar.  It's ALWAYS easier to sneak a kill in if someone is distracted.

USE VOICE CHAT -- It's too valuable of a tool not to use...teams require team work.

Always be aware of your fuel and mech heat!

Always watch your radar, especially if you're taking on more than one player by your self.  Radar is an invaluable tool just like voice chat.

#8 DDwarrior

DDwarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted November 04 2012 - 09:53 AM

This tip isn't item specific but I believe strongly it'll be great advice for anyone trying to be competitive.

While playing the game if you find yourself getting angry or stressed, walk away for about 5 to 15 minutes, eat something,drink, do laundry.

I noticed if I tried to force it when I was angry I'd keep making stupid mistakes that I knew better then to make.  When I was calm and relaxed I aimed better and make much better tatical decisions.

(Feel free to adjust this to better suit the post.)
When I've launched onto the battlefield, torn my enemies to shreds.  I stride through the field and listen, I see a ping.  I quietly take my time moving into position, it pings.  I see him...but he doesn't see me.  That feeling of making someone feel defenseless in that moment.  It is glorious!

"I5-2400 3.3Ghz, 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz, MSI 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660Ti, COOLER MASTER HAF 912, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, LSP 750 PRO,  500GB Sata 6GB"

#9 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 03:51 PM

DDwarrior, on November 04 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

This tip isn't item specific but I believe strongly it'll be great advice for anyone trying to be competitive.

While playing the game if you find yourself getting angry or stressed, walk away for about 5 to 15 minutes, eat something,drink, do laundry.

I noticed if I tried to force it when I was angry I'd keep making stupid mistakes that I knew better then to make.  When I was calm and relaxed I aimed better and make much better tatical decisions.

(Feel free to adjust this to better suit the post.)

hehe, added a "personal_" section just for you :)

Anyways, did the first consolidation pass. Thanks for the contributions folks :) . I'll see if I can add some more myself later on ... oh bummer, gotta focus on exams XD

Probably gonna do this for the sections to reduce the scrolling since its a long post XD. Didn't know the forums had a spoiler tag XD

This is a section
Spoiler

Edited by ArnieF4440, November 04 2012 - 06:02 PM.

Posted Image
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#10 DDwarrior

DDwarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted November 04 2012 - 07:06 PM

Lets see if I have any other tips...

"Never underestimate the firepower of any mech,including light/A.  Even a heavy/C class should keep moving as much as possible.  Due to prejudice reasons and experience in other mech games, I used to stand still in my games if I ran into a light mech just to make aiming easier thinking (Hah, puny light mech what could you possibly OH GOD!!!)"

"Tow Rockets are dumbfire and can be denonated mid-air by clicking the mouse wheel or fire key again.  Learn to lead targets to land direct hits for maximum damage.  With practice if an enemy mech side dashes you can guarantee a direct hit by launching the rocket at the point the dash ends. If you miss, denonate the rocket in mid-air to inflict damage on the enemy.  The denonation can also be used to damage mechs hiding around corners."

Regarding the Side dash.  Currently all mechs after a side dash lose there top walking speed after the dash.  This could change if they decide mechs mantain there top walking speed even after a dash, though I currently doubt this due to the speed optimization for acceleration.

These are the best tips I have at the moment as I specilized as an assault mech.  Feel free to adjust or make correction for any inaccuracies.

Edited by DDwarrior, November 06 2012 - 08:50 AM.

When I've launched onto the battlefield, torn my enemies to shreds.  I stride through the field and listen, I see a ping.  I quietly take my time moving into position, it pings.  I see him...but he doesn't see me.  That feeling of making someone feel defenseless in that moment.  It is glorious!

"I5-2400 3.3Ghz, 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz, MSI 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660Ti, COOLER MASTER HAF 912, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, LSP 750 PRO,  500GB Sata 6GB"

#11 Gagzila

Gagzila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationVIC, Australia

Posted November 04 2012 - 08:41 PM

Hey All,

Nice thread, I like how all the information has been neatly categorised and displayed. I was just wondering if someone can back up the below statement with actual data:

Heat cannon has a "charged" fire. Holding the primary will charge it up to deliver a higher damage projectile

I've never specifically really tested it, but I thought during my time playing that the heat cannon seemed to do the same damage whether firing immediately or charging it up and the difference charging it up made was the actual flight time of the projectile (even though it's supposed to be a ray of supercharged energy which would hit almost instantly and with the same strike time no matter how much you charged it_). This part I did test and I found that firing at a wall in the distance with no charge up would take about a second to hit (for this particular distance), while fully charging up the shot would make it hit the wall near instantaneously.

Interested to hear what other people's experience with this weapon are.

Cheers,

Gagzila

Edited by Gagzila, November 04 2012 - 08:52 PM.

Posted Image

#12 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 04 2012 - 10:38 PM

Gagzila, on November 04 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Hey All,

Nice thread, I like how all the information has been neatly categorised and displayed. I was just wondering if someone can back up the below statement with actual data:

Heat cannon has a "charged" fire. Holding the primary will charge it up to deliver a higher damage projectile

I've never specifically really tested it, but I thought during my time playing that the heat cannon seemed to do the same damage whether firing immediately or charging it up and the difference charging it up made was the actual flight time of the projectile (even though it's supposed to be a ray of supercharged energy which would hit almost instantly and with the same strike time no matter how much you charged it_). This part I did test and I found that firing at a wall in the distance with no charge up would take about a second to hit (for this particular distance), while fully charging up the shot would make it hit the wall near instantaneously.

Cheers,

Gagzila
Nope. It does a crapton more damage when charged.
A fully charged shot is pretty close to being hit by a Sabot round.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#13 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 11:01 PM

AsianJoyKiller, on November 04 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

Gagzila, on November 04 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Hey All,

Cheers,

Gagzila
Nope. It does a crapton more damage when charged.
A fully charged shot is pretty close to being hit by a Sabot round.

The "uncharged" shot does little damage, but has a greater rate of fire. When you charge it up, it builds up the energy and delivers it in one shot. But you end up hedging your bets on that shot hitting the target, so it balances it out (otherwise whats the point of the charged up shot I guess). From playing using pretty much only the heat cannon on my infiltrator, it did 2-3 bars of damage (if you look at the health highlighted on your HUD). I recorded a couple rounds of Siege before the CB1 ended, so if you watch around here (right on 4:00 (you might have to slow it down XD). my vid btw, I do bad this round ... uploading 2 more games atm), you can see the damage (and stuff you conquistador). Not sure on the exact damage numbers though, I use optimisations to make my weapons do more damage ...

Edited by ArnieF4440, November 04 2012 - 11:15 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Gagzila

Gagzila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationVIC, Australia

Posted November 05 2012 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I was watching the health bar of the enemy mechs at different stages while using the heat cannon and it seemed the quick uncharged shot was taking the same amount of bars, or very close to the same amount as a fully charged shot would. I will reinvestigate in the upcoming CBE2 :)

Do you both agree though that the flight time is much quicker when charged up_ Apart from my earlier example of my testing, I found I had to lead targets when firing with no charge up but fully charged it became a hit-scan weapon.

Cheers,

Gagzila

Edited by Gagzila, November 05 2012 - 03:36 PM.

Posted Image

#15 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 04:29 PM

Gagzila, on November 05 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

Thanks for the replies guys, I was watching the health bar of the enemy mechs at different stages while using the heat cannon and it seemed the quick uncharged shot was taking the same amount of bars, or very close to the same amount as a fully charged shot would. I will reinvestigate in the upcoming CBE2 :)

Do you both agree though that the flight time is much quicker when charged up_ Apart from my earlier example of my testing, I found I had to lead targets when firing with no charge up but fully charged it became a hit-scan weapon.

Cheers,

Gagzila

Hmm, not sure, I usually have too much latency to notice the difference (from Aus). Anyways, thats what the heat cannon felt like when I was using it ... I intend to do some testing too in CB2 if I can get some friends on also

EDIT: I've marked those tips as "pending verification" atm

Edited by ArnieF4440, November 05 2012 - 06:12 PM.

Posted Image

#16 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 05:24 PM

Aiming and positioning.

Shoot at the spot a dodging person will land at with projectile weapons(TOW and GL). It's impossible for them to dodge as they've been locked into an animation.

Shooting after a person has used a sidestep is still a guaranteed hit at mid range if you aim directly at them and make sure to detonate as the target dodges again.

Aerial targets are sitting ducks. Open fire.

Knowing where you'll be aiming when you finish your dodge makes attacks much more coordinated. Plan to release the trigger when you get to your destination, not after it.

Do not hug walls. Hugging a corner means that the enemy can see and hurt you without you being able to do either. Keep around a mech length away from the corner to maximise visibility and lines of sight/cover.

Use blast damage. An indirect hit will deal the same damage as a full hit in most(any non Repeater) situations. Don't be afraid to detonate before attacks hit or shoot at people hugging corners. Doing this properly reduces enemy damage mitigation significantly.

Edited by D20Face, November 05 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#17 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 06:33 PM

Sweet, thanks all. Just did the next consolidation pass and added a contributors list.

Maybe a moderator or admin can sticky this thread_
Posted Image

#18 Kaylos

Kaylos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 09:00 PM

Aiming TOW rockets.

Watch the visible cast off light on the ground to guage when to detonate the warhead.  The smoke trail and rocket plume usually obscure the rocket itself.

#19 Xyzz

Xyzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationUnknown

Posted November 05 2012 - 10:32 PM

Can anyone provide tips on how to better control [shift + s] 360 degree rotation during battle_ It seems like I always use it unintentionally, although useful in some situation, becomes quite annoying when you either tries to fire while backing up or escaping enemy fire.

Posted Image

#20 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 11:00 PM

Xyzz, on November 05 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

Can anyone provide tips on how to better control [shift + s] 360 degree rotation during battle_ It seems like I always use it unintentionally, although useful in some situation, becomes quite annoying when you either tries to fire while backing up or escaping enemy fire.

I think quite a few people got confused with the 180 boost turn (the shift+s thing), its not in any of the games I've played and it caught me off guard when I first started playing. I usually just avoid the Shift+S thing all together. After a few hours playing, I just got used to not hitting it ... but it doesn't stop me from accidentally hitting it now and again XD. I never really need it unless I'm doing hit and run strikes on Sahara EU trees ...

Anyway, if you accidentally hit Shift+S, there's probably a couple alternatives to get you outta that pinch:
  • Hit Shift+S again and duke it out
  • i just forwards (or any other direction) boost and run away to cover for until I can properly turn around and re-acquire my aim, etc.
  • If you have the shield item, you can fire it in front of you and run through it to cover your back from a bit of the fire. That'll give you a bit if time to recompose yourself, etc
Probably someone whose more proficient with the 180 boost can fill you in better with regards to that
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Community, Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users