HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

low smoke fps "fix_"

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Jintonic

Jintonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 06:28 AM

Thanks to Null_Wing,  found a way to reduce smoke, explosion effects.
Here is compromising video, before i got dropped from 120 to ~60 by hellfire smoke, now only to 100~
(when i`m alone on map, in match its much worse ofc)

For those who get slide show when get hit by hellfire,  You  need  to
open HawkenEngine.ini (in your documents)
change command values to these
___
MaxParticleResize=3
MaxParticleVertexMemory=900
its the minimum which renders projectiles. going lower will  disable some particles,  making emp's or hellfires invisible.
There are 2 same commands in config, edit the lower ones, or both.  
Probably many people know about this, but i hope it will help at least few people who are annoyed with smoke drops just as i was
P.s. and yes, confing changes are not supported by developers

Edited by Jintonic, March 26 2013 - 06:30 AM.

#2 Umbre

Umbre

Cat/Xeno Hybrid

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Canada

Posted March 26 2013 - 06:53 AM

I'm on Medium/Medium settings, and this doesn't seem to work. Might be applicable to Low settings only.

#3 _Caffeine_

_Caffeine_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 07:35 AM

Cool have to check this out later.

#4 ScHizNiK

ScHizNiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted March 26 2013 - 07:37 AM

There will be several versions of the same command found in the different graphics options brackets. low/med/high

View PostJintonic, on March 26 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

There are 2 same commands in config, edit the lower ones, or both.  

Posted Image

I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

#5 RedSamovary

RedSamovary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted March 26 2013 - 08:41 AM

Just hoping that devs will add all the graphic options in the main menu when release version will be out... i also want to reduce options without fiddling in .ini files. I don't like the film grain effect in the game.

#6 Guest_waftycrank_*

Guest_waftycrank_*
  • Guests

Posted March 26 2013 - 08:52 AM

Nice find.  Hope it helps.  Hellfire slideshow isn't pleasant.  Soft form of stunlock.  ;)

#7 Null_Wing

Null_Wing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationThe Zone, Harmont

Posted March 26 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostScHizNiK, on March 26 2013 - 07:37 AM, said:

There will be several versions of the same command found in the different graphics options brackets. low/med/high
That's in the systemsettings ini's, schiznik, that are both in your documents and hawken program files. What jintonic and I were tweaking was HawkenEngine.ini which doesn't have particular settings for low, medium, high, or ultra. Just the global setting really. The first setting set was under the group [Engine.Engine] the next set of the same vars is under [HawkenGame.HawkenGameEngine] these probably refer to the aspects of the binary they modify, or other files they work in conjunction with.

thanks jintonic for posting this, sorry I didn't get back to you

I didn't go lower than 10 on my MaxParticleResize and not lower than 1000 on my vertex memory. I still get decent frames (considering the setup) and I still get major drops, however I get less major drops now (not ALL explosions drop my frames to powerpoint level, just the ones that are right in front of my face). I have a worse setup than jintonic, so normally on low with my current config I get about 35 fps normally, 25 with other players around in a map, and about 10 when there's an explosion on screen. The huge drop was whenever there was an explsion nearby on screen, or just a lot of them. That's not so much the case anymore. They're still annoying, but I only have the frame drop when they're right on me (say I get shot with hellfire)

I also modified the fluid simulation vertex allowances and memory allowances, with no noticable effect.

Edited by Null_Wing, March 26 2013 - 09:58 AM.

Professional Freelance Bum
When The Subject Of Spam Is Broached, Our Sparing Human Intellects Instantly Assume The Most Ingratiating Form Of Anger Imaginable. (and we tend to start our own spam for fun after that)

#8 Jintonic

Jintonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostNull_Wing, on March 26 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

I also modified the fluid simulation vertex allowances and memory allowances, with no noticable effect.
need maps with water to test it :)

#9 Null_Wing

Null_Wing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostJintonic, on March 26 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

View PostNull_Wing, on March 26 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

need maps with water to test it :)
well, I've done tests in smoke particles in blender and those were called "fluid simulations"
so I wasn't sure what they assigned as a fluid sim. So I decided to modify it to see if there was any difference. I thought maybe the health orbs would change (well, the arm it extends to heal you might have been) but it still showed up when I set it extremely low (max allowed memory was 1). There was no noticeable change, not even in framerate.

When The Subject Of Spam Is Broached, Our Sparing Human Intellects Instantly Assume The Most Ingratiating Form Of Anger Imaginable. (and we tend to start our own spam for fun after that)

#10 EPA_EnjeliaH_FOX

EPA_EnjeliaH_FOX

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationEU

Posted March 26 2013 - 10:34 AM

good to know, well i thought that this "terrible lag" cuz explosion was due to my GPU, but apparently it is a problem for many guys- i have good fps but drops only for the explosions by enemies

#11 Null_Wing

Null_Wing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostEPA_EnjeliaH_FOX, on March 26 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

good to know, well i thought that this "terrible lag" cuz explosion was due to my GPU, but apparently it is a problem for many guys- i have good fps but drops only for the explosions by enemies
it is the GPU, but I think it's also poor optimization. Possibly there's a certain calculation that is being done here that some GPU's aren't particularly great at. I don't know

#12 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted March 26 2013 - 11:18 AM

I love you. Come hold me.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#13 Jintonic

Jintonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted March 26 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostReachH, on March 26 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

I love you. Come hold me.
<3 still, maybe  "3"  is too hardcore, tow becomes almost  invisible after 80~ meters  hard to air burst when you cant see :)

Edited by Jintonic, March 26 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#14 jnnar

jnnar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 04:15 AM

there is someone who already thought hat, it includes modified .ini and do every thing you asked for: film grain, explosions ecc...

#15 Jintonic

Jintonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 04:30 AM

View Postjnnar, on March 27 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

there is someone who already thought hat, .ini and do every thing you asked for: film grain, explosions ecc...
I saw this video long time ago, and there is no smoke fix there, only basic blur/grain/fov. Using c0mad0r's gogledoc you can achieve much better results(framerate), tweaking lightning/shadows/draw distances/particles/
https://docs.google....94YnhHN0E#gid=3

Edited by Jintonic, March 27 2013 - 04:34 AM.

#16 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted March 27 2013 - 04:36 AM

Well in the ini the max particle size is -1. What does changing it to 3 actually do_ Doesn't this make it worse_ I was playing on LOW before, so is this just an optimization for ULTRA and stuff_ I turned it down specifically due to the smoke fps dip.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#17 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 27 2013 - 04:36 AM

Does this have any other undesirable effects or does it simply reduce the amount of smoke and debris_

#18 Jintonic

Jintonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 04:39 AM

here's the definition

MaxParticleResize Sets the max allowed size to a Particle Emitter (Explosions!). If an explosion calls for something larger than this number, the function will prevent it.
-1 must be no limit on particles, i would recommend to leave it on 10 like Null_Wing did, 3 is bare minimum,  which makes it often uncomfortable if you use TOW

Edited by Jintonic, March 27 2013 - 04:45 AM.

#19 jnnar

jnnar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 04:44 AM

i didn't really checked the ini changes, just backupped the old one and changed with the downloaded one. The results seems to be quite good, the visual is much more clear and i can see the mechs a little bit earlier. I'm installing fraps so i can tell about the fps...

sorry for the english i'm from italy

#20 TheLostVikings

TheLostVikings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 06:09 AM

View Postjnnar, on March 27 2013 - 04:44 AM, said:

i didn't really checked the ini changes, just backupped the old one and changed with the downloaded one. The results seems to be quite good, the visual is much more clear and i can see the mechs a little bit earlier. I'm installing fraps so i can tell about the fps...

sorry for the english i'm from italy

You don't need to install anything to check fps. While ingame hit the F5 key, then type "stat fps" without the "s, and hit F5 again to hide the console.

Repeat the above to hide the fps counter when you don't want it anymore.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users