HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Looking at Tuning From a Different Angle.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted January 16 2014 - 08:38 PM

Silverfire made me think about tuning after reading his resent post.
Spoiler

This is just a thought, but maybe one of the reasons why these "optimal builds" are so much more effective rather than being flexible and allowing for more verity for player developed sub classes of the mechs, is because the tuning options are directly connected to the mech's key stats such as armor, hydraulics, weapon's loader, etc. Meaning that the current turning system can negate many of drawbacks that are built into a class by design.

Maybe if tuning effected some flat arbitrary, universal or unique, aspect of the mech, that was more of a side grade function rather than an upgrade, maybe tuning could be reintroduced in a different way. Kind of like how a driver can tune a car so the gas, brake, steering, mirrors, and so on feel just right for them and them alone (I know there are deeper things that get tuned but I don't feel like looking them up). Or how a gunman tweaks the trigger or can swap it out for something lighter or heavier. Although these might be extremely bad examples.

Spoiler

In general models of a particular machine are all the same, but when you get a machine you like to tweak how it feels so it is most comfortable to you (much like changing the mouse sensitivity). If those elements could be isolated and applied to mechs individually maybe that is what tuning could be. Not about performance but about feeling of control.

Anyway, that is my random thought.

#2 Cannonaire

Cannonaire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationUSW

Posted January 16 2014 - 08:53 PM

I do think that removing tuning points is the best decision at this point. That said, I can't stand playing my bruiser without my specific tuning options. I doubt they are optimal, but I have 8 in Weapons Loader, 10 in Heatsinks, and 6 each in Generator and Air Dynamics. I made this build almost exclusively for guarding AA in siege, but I just hate how the thing feels without this very specific setup. This sounds like what you're talking about.
Cannonaire - Think millionaire, but with cannons.
HC/MC Calculator (thread) UPDATED 2013/12/21

#3 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 09:02 PM

At this point, I think tuning would only work for secondary class features like items and internals. Weapon tuning is technically coming out with the Fire Fighter. It has one primary weapon, but multiple pre tuned versions. Its primary weapon also "tunes" secondary weapon performance. I expect every class will eventually be similar.

As for item and internal tuning, it would require many changes. Rather than having multiple slot strength versions of the same equipment, slot sizes would indicate how big of an effect on game play the item or internal has. Here are examples, including examples of tuning options:

Items
1 slot - Stationary deployables. Strength vs. area of effect.
2 slots - Instant launch. Strength vs. cool down.
3 slots - Mobile deployables. Strength vs. simultaneous deployments.

Internals
1 slot - Passive stat boost. Base stat boost has no downsides. Increasing the base stat boost puts a decrease on another stat - i.e. armor vs. speed.
2 slots - Conditional stat boost. Base stat boost has no downsides. Increasing the base stat boost puts a limited use on the effect - i.e. increased damage deflection while boosting vs. not having an effect timer and cool down on deflection.
3 slots - Ability. Strength vs. effect timer.

Edited by HugeGuts, January 17 2014 - 09:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users