HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Cockpit: 01/22 Rewarding player deaths and dumbing down gameplay.

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#121 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted January 25 2014 - 01:19 PM

View PostGrizzled, on January 25 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

I am divided on the fuel/dodge change, I have stayed with Hawken so long because (as I get older) position has made more difference than reflexes. Good tactics and map knowledge have been more important than other skills and as my body deteriorates, my mind is as sharp as ever.
Awhile back, I looked into the effects of ageing on reaction time.  It's "common knowledge" that reaction time (reflexes, in layman's terms) worsens (i.e., increases) with age; anyone with any background in psychology, however, knows that common knowledge is often mistaken or overly-simplified.

Interestingly, reaction time doesn't share a simple relationship with ageing.  The following article doesn't require any database or journal memberships, and provides a decent overview of the literature on reaction times: http://biae.clemson....10/reaction.htm

In particular,

Simple reaction time shortens from infancy into the late 20s, then increases slowly until the 50s and 60s, and then lengthens faster as the person gets into his 70s and beyond (Welford, 1977; Jevas and Yan, 2001; Luchies et al., 2002; Rose et al., 2002; Der and Deary, 2006). In other words, contrary to their fervent belief, adolescents will probably have slower reaction times than adults (Riddervold et al., 2008; Van Damme and Crombez, 2009). Luchies et al.(2002) also reported that this age effect was more marked for complex reaction time tasks, and Der and Deary (2006) concurred.

From a more recent study - namely, Alfred and Rice's 2012 Age Differences in Simple and Procedural Reaction Time Among Healthy Military Personnel :

Knowledge of cognitive processing changes among adults is important as it can impact their work and home functioning. However, basic cognitive changes due to aging among healthy working adults are either not as well documented or focus on adults over 60 years of age. The purpose of this study was to examine the performance of younger (age 21-38) and older (age 39-58) military personnel on the Automated Neuropsychological Assessment Metric (ANAM) tests of simple and procedural reaction time. Descriptive statistics including correlation analyses were used to examine the data. Independent samples t-tests were used to compare the groups. Linear regression was used to predict age based on the three reaction time tests. Results of the correlation analyses failed to find a significant relationship between age and reaction time (p > .05). Results of the t-tests failed to find significant mean differences between younger and older participants (p > .05). Results of the linear regression analyses failed to find significance for predicting age based on the selected reaction time measures (p > .05). These results appear to support findings that age-related differences in reaction time do not occur during less complex reaction time tasks.

Bit of a cursory review, to be sure, but there's certainly enough in the literature to cast significant doubt upon the idea that reaction times slow significantly with age.

The more you know.

Edited by Nept, January 25 2014 - 01:20 PM.

https://robertsspace...orgs/OMNISCIENT

Complaining about Hawken's population_  Read this: https://community.pl...en/#entry524454

Posted Image   

#122 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted January 26 2014 - 09:04 AM

View PostHouruck, on January 24 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

View Postdorobo, on January 24 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

quakers hate counterstrike
Posted Image

counterstrike have poor movement mechanics compared. I played only clan arena :P not once tried counter haha.

#123 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary (UTC+2)

Posted January 26 2014 - 09:46 AM

View Postdorobo, on January 26 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

counterstrike have poor movement mechanics compared. I played only clan arena :P not once tried counter haha.
You should try Urban Terror.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST
United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

#124 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 26 2014 - 10:14 AM

The way items work now would be fine if we got rid of the poorly designed ones in favor of better designed ones.

In my opinion, Shield < Barrier; an item should not provide huge advantages right out of the gate. There should be more applied skill required, and in my eyes, the barrier does that where the shield does not. Dropping a shield is essentially like gaining some extra health as it requires minimal input to use it and maintain its advantage. The barrier on the other hand requires a LOT more input to be of use; it is essentially only an advantage to the player using it because they have the power of placement but besides that, it does not provide an outright advantage to the user.

There are not a lot of items like that, but I would love to see more that function like that.

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on December 10 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Sure thing! :D Thanks for being constructive.
Raider Corsair to replace Brawler's TOW: MAKE IT HAPPEN
BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#125 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 12:11 PM

View Postfingerknitter, on January 26 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

In my opinion, Shield < Barrier; an item should not provide huge advantages right out of the gate. There should be more applied skill required, and in my eyes, the barrier does that where the shield does not. Dropping a shield is essentially like gaining some extra health as it requires minimal input to use it and maintain its advantage. The barrier on the other hand requires a LOT more input to be of use; it is essentially only an advantage to the player using it because they have the power of placement but besides that, it does not provide an outright advantage to the user.
They're removing the ability to shoot out of shields:

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on January 23 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

EDIT: here's another "bomb" because I'm exhausted, shields are moving more towards being a defensive item, so now you won't be able to shoot through it. It's really fun to have moments of the "dodge dance" with one of those.

Edited by WarlordZ, January 26 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#126 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 12:32 PM

You can't shoot but can you still use items like...the Repair Charge inside it_

Dun dun dunnnnnnnn

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#127 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 12:42 PM

View PostSylhiri, on January 26 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

You can't shoot but can you still use items like...the Repair Charge inside it_
There's no reason why you couldn't, but remember that items are also going to have a set strength, with level determining the number of uses, plus a per-item cooldown like we have now.  No more MK-III mega heal.

Edited by WarlordZ, January 26 2014 - 12:48 PM.

#128 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostWarlordZ, on January 26 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

There's no reason why you couldn't, but remember that items are also going to have a set strength with level determining the number of uses, plus a per-item cooldown like we have now.  No more MK-III mega heal.

Depends on the strength, if they are changing the mechanics of the repair charge and if they have any changes to the repair orb internals. Too many unknown factors but it's something I hope they consider as free healing can shift an engagement drastically.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#129 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 27 2014 - 07:38 PM

View PostSylhiri, on January 26 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

View PostWarlordZ, on January 26 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

There's no reason why you couldn't, but remember that items are also going to have a set strength with level determining the number of uses, plus a per-item cooldown like we have now.  No more MK-III mega heal.

Depends on the strength, if they are changing the mechanics of the repair charge and if they have any changes to the repair orb internals. Too many unknown factors but it's something I hope they consider as free healing can shift an engagement drastically.

I agree. Not a fan of the repair orb either. I would prefer item or internal buffs to repair speed in whichever way lets them even out the advantage properly between the A's and the C's.

And I still prefer the concept of the barrier over the 360 barrier we call a shield, but maybe with the advantage of shooting out of it being removed there will be a competitive/situational choice between the two who knows :D

BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#130 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 27 2014 - 07:39 PM

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on January 23 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

View PostEliteShooter, on January 23 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

Posted Image

:|

EDIT: here's another "bomb" because I'm exhausted, shields are moving more towards being a defensive item, so now you won't be able to shoot through it. It's really fun to have moments of the "dodge dance" with one of those.

I really like this idea HUGHES, thanks.

BlackSteelBrotherhood

#131 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted January 27 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostNept, on January 25 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

View PostGrizzled, on January 25 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

I am divided on the fuel/dodge change, I have stayed with Hawken so long because (as I get older) position has made more difference than reflexes. Good tactics and map knowledge have been more important than other skills and as my body deteriorates, my mind is as sharp as ever.
Awhile back, I looked into the effects of ageing on reaction time.  It's "common knowledge" that reaction time (reflexes, in layman's terms) worsens (i.e., increases) with age; anyone with any background in psychology, however, knows that common knowledge is often mistaken or overly-simplified.

Interestingly, reaction time doesn't share a simple relationship with ageing.  The following article doesn't require any database or journal memberships, and provides a decent overview of the literature on reaction times: http://biae.clemson....10/reaction.htm

In particular,

Simple reaction time shortens from infancy into the late 20s, then increases slowly until the 50s and 60s, and then lengthens faster as the person gets into his 70s and beyond (Welford, 1977; Jevas and Yan, 2001; Luchies et al., 2002; Rose et al., 2002; Der and Deary, 2006). In other words, contrary to their fervent belief, adolescents will probably have slower reaction times than adults (Riddervold et al., 2008; Van Damme and Crombez, 2009). Luchies et al.(2002) also reported that this age effect was more marked for complex reaction time tasks, and Der and Deary (2006) concurred.

From a more recent study - namely, Alfred and Rice's 2012 Age Differences in Simple and Procedural Reaction Time Among Healthy Military Personnel :

Knowledge of cognitive processing changes among adults is important as it can impact their work and home functioning. However, basic cognitive changes due to aging among healthy working adults are either not as well documented or focus on adults over 60 years of age. The purpose of this study was to examine the performance of younger (age 21-38) and older (age 39-58) military personnel on the Automated Neuropsychological Assessment Metric (ANAM) tests of simple and procedural reaction time. Descriptive statistics including correlation analyses were used to examine the data. Independent samples t-tests were used to compare the groups. Linear regression was used to predict age based on the three reaction time tests. Results of the correlation analyses failed to find a significant relationship between age and reaction time (p > .05). Results of the t-tests failed to find significant mean differences between younger and older participants (p > .05). Results of the linear regression analyses failed to find significance for predicting age based on the selected reaction time measures (p > .05). These results appear to support findings that age-related differences in reaction time do not occur during less complex reaction time tasks.

Bit of a cursory review, to be sure, but there's certainly enough in the literature to cast significant doubt upon the idea that reaction times slow significantly with age.

The more you know.

Reaction time may not be the only factor.  What about arthritis and other related diseases_
High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#132 Wasabi_Wei

Wasabi_Wei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin, USA, Earth

Posted January 27 2014 - 08:36 PM

Along the same lines - I was thinking that at 22 I gave a fuzzy bunny about tests, now I just want my 50 research dollars and then I'm off to do something else.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world. - Grateful Dead lyric, but really true.

Just Saying: "If an officer of the law expects to be treated as such, then they had better act as one and uphold our laws and Rights in the pursuit of Justice."

#133 Bea5t

Bea5t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted January 28 2014 - 05:48 AM

Spambump

#134 Muffintrumpet

Muffintrumpet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 06:21 AM

View PostBea5t, on January 28 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

Spambump
stop doing this please

"To the untrained eye this chart may indeed appear to demonstrate a steep and sustained downward trend; however, what you're actually seeing is the line being dragged down because of the strengthening gravitational pull of a player base that is actually increasing in density.  Rest assured, this is all going completely according to plan."

#135 pseulak

pseulak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted January 28 2014 - 06:49 AM

View PostXacius, on January 27 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

Reaction time may not be the only factor.  What about arthritis and other related diseases_

I would guess reaction times slowing is more linked to lack of physical activity in general in the older population. As soon as I got more active and worked out more, it feels like I have much better reaction time across the board.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users