HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Scrambler and scanner too stronk, pls nerf

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted February 12 2014 - 04:49 AM

In my opinion, these two items are pretty overpowered in their current state.

One scanner, if hidden properly, opens up a good chunk of the map on your radar. That means that you can catch a powershot or a TOW + HEAT blast or whatever other combination of pain and agony from opponents who know you are there simply because one of their guys carries a 2-slot scanner. That's just too much value for mere 2 slots.

As it stands right now, in 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 games, having at least one scanner is mandatory.

I think the scanner's area of effect is too large, and I suggest decreasing it by 30−40%.

One scrambler, if hidden properly, can render your radar near useless. With the new TTK you simply don't have the time to figure which signatures are players and which signatures are fake. And again, the area of effect is large enough to disorientate several players with one scrambler. Too much value for only 2 slots.

I think the scrambler's area of effect should be decreased by 25%.

Also, I suggest that these two items cancel out each other if they are within each other's area of effect.

What do you think_

Edited by DerMax, February 12 2014 - 04:53 AM.

#2 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted February 12 2014 - 05:48 AM

I need more play time to really decide how powerful they both are.. but I can agree that with the new lowered ttk that they do much more than they used to do.

Also I've liked the idea of them negating each other.. but I am not sure from a coding standpoint how easy that would be to do.

#3 sleepe

sleepe

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 06:17 AM

Im weirdo. Nefr this, nerf that, nerf everything... In my opinion this item works as they should work. So lets back againg. Instead of nerding everythink maybe better is to increase a little bit TTL_ Sorry for my english BTW.
Sorry for my english :/

#4 ethr

ethr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted February 12 2014 - 07:00 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted February 12 2014 - 08:02 AM

Since you have a limited amount of radars and scramblers, I think they are alright.
However I could imagine for the scanner that it only shows the locations on YOUR radar and not on your teammate's.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#6 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted February 19 2014 - 08:37 PM

Didn't realize Scanner shows mechs walking and cloaked mechs.  That seems too strong.  
Either remove those functions or reduce range or cut its duration down to 20-30 seconds.
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TAW Recruitment[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

#7 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 08:43 PM

View PostDFTR, on February 19 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

Didn't realize Scanner shows mechs walking and cloaked mechs.  That seems too strong.  
Either remove those functions or reduce range or cut its duration down to 20-30 seconds.

It doesn't permanently show cloaked mechs, a small circle will flash on your the radar and then dissapear.

But yes this fuzzy bunny is OP. Needs a range nerf

#8 Farlanghn

Farlanghn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted February 21 2014 - 02:38 PM

The first scanner's range sucks. To actually get any range you have to upgrade it. The first scanner basically lets you see around the corner. Do you use it or you just hate it being used on you_

Example: first level scanner used on the chokehold on bazaar only covers a little outside the structure. Which if you were capturing B you would be able to see mechs as they moved on you for a split second. If you are a scout(which I am using) there really isnt much you can do if its a B and a C class moving in.

To be honest if the scrambler had the ability to mess with hellfire lock ons I would use that over the radar. I really don't need to scare away opponents. I'd rather see them coming.

#9 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted February 21 2014 - 07:55 PM

View PostFarlanghn, on February 21 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

The first scanner's range sucks. To actually get any range you have to upgrade it. The first scanner basically lets you see around the corner. Do you use it or you just hate it being used on you_

Example: first level scanner used on the chokehold on bazaar only covers a little outside the structure. Which if you were capturing B you would be able to see mechs as they moved on you for a split second. If you are a scout(which I am using) there really isnt much you can do if its a B and a C class moving in.

Very sure they made it so everything has the same effect, but higher tier means more uses per life.

Scanner and scrambler has a major effect, especially in pub games.
Scrambler in public games seems to confuse pub players to a terrible degree, like if the enemy team had invisibility.

Edited by Stingz, February 21 2014 - 07:55 PM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#10 FirstRaven

FirstRaven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of an A Class mecha- behind you.

Posted February 21 2014 - 08:09 PM

No, says the scout pilot, who was a reaper pilot until that was nerfed...

#11 Farlanghn

Farlanghn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 07:49 AM

Wait a minute.. Are you telling me they changed the range of the higher ranked scanner_ All the same now_ I was just about to buy one for bigger range.

#12 CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 10:24 AM

I agree with OP completely. On top of what is already suggested, I have a suggestion of my own. The portable scanner should show up on the radar of enemies that are nearby just like the radar scrambler (Maybe ~20m_).

Edited by CounterlogicMan, February 23 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#13 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted February 23 2014 - 08:32 PM

View PostCounterlogicMan, on February 23 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

I agree with OP completely. On top of what is already suggested, I have a suggestion of my own. The portable scanner should show up on the radar of enemies that are nearby just like the radar scrambler (Maybe ~20m_).

It's extremely loud with a distinct hum, I try to wipe them out ASAP since the enemy team starts pulling BS shots if I don't.
Scrambler has the same effect but different hum.

The hard part is getting to the scanner/scrambler in some cases.

Edited by Stingz, February 23 2014 - 08:33 PM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#14 CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 08:14 AM

View PostStingz, on February 23 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

View PostCounterlogicMan, on February 23 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

It's extremely loud with a distinct hum, I try to wipe them out ASAP since the enemy team starts pulling BS shots if I don't.
Scrambler has the same effect but different hum.

The hard part is getting to the scanner/scrambler in some cases.

You are right that they do make loud noises. But this hardly gives away their position. The scrambler shows up on radar, it still gives you a good advantage, but it doesn't take a full minute of wandering around the map checking hiding spots to find. With every map having its fair share of nooks and crannies, I can effectively perma hide a scanner fairly easily. Try throwing a scanner in between some walls, on top of bits of geometry, high on/in walls, or even on the roofs of buildings. Then see how many people find your scanner, won't be many I assure you.

I think revealing the portable scanner on radar if it is within 20m of the mech is perfectly reasonable. It allows you to hide a scanner but it also allows someone to find it in a reasonable amount of time if they really want to destroy it. The key is to keep the item useful (not super easy to find + tactical advantage over a reasonable amount of area), but not overpowering (very difficult to find + tactical advantage over very wide area).

The focus of this game is fighting other mechs, not countering the enemies well hidden map hacks, which is certainly what it turns into when two high level teams are using scanners against each other.

options tend to be:
1. Draw enemy away from their scanner.
2. Engage and hopefully kill the guy that controls the scanner/scrambler.
3. Drop your own scanner/scrambler.
4. Waste time trying to find it (probably lose people in the process).

Radar is an incredibly powerful weapon in this game, the ability to see your enemies on the radar even when they aren't boosting gives you an extreme tactical advantage. Making the item that provides this benefit only give off audio queues as to its location, in my opinion, is very unfair.

Edited by CounterlogicMan, February 26 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#15 leviestrada

leviestrada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted February 25 2014 - 04:44 PM

I think scanner is nice as it is now, but I would not be affected by a little area nerf  because (for me) it's use is to get adventage when you're in corner fights
2014-02-15_00007.jpg
btw I love playing -smiley mustached face-

#16 Estif

Estif

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted February 26 2014 - 04:50 PM

Scrambler to me is one of those elements that are more annoying than useful, when an item makes almost useless an important element of the game such as the radar, clearly there´s something wrong with it. but, ohh well, I got used to not depend of the radar, but I particularlly think the Scrambler makes the combat caotic. :P

Edited by StephenHawkins, February 26 2014 - 07:35 PM.

Posted Image

#17 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 08:44 AM

I love throwing the scrambler inside the AA or on top of a silo

#18 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted February 27 2014 - 11:52 PM

I would love to see scanner turned into a portable version of our current radar, detects fuel use and heat gains aka boosting, air dodging, firing. The scrambler is perfectly balanced as you can actually outplay the item if you are paying attention to radar well enough.

Scanner should not detect stealth targets and unlike what Dave said above you can see stealthed predators perfectly the whole time they're in the radar range. I did not test with infiltrator but, from secondary sources they say it also reveals them permanently. This item is just far too strong as it allows a team to not worry about being flanked what so ever on so many maps.

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#19 leviestrada

leviestrada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted February 28 2014 - 08:32 PM

View PostExeon, on February 27 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:

I would love to see scanner turned into a portable version of our current radar, detects fuel use and heat gains aka boosting, air dodging, firing. The scrambler is perfectly balanced as you can actually outplay the item if you are paying attention to radar well enough.

Scanner should not detect stealth targets and unlike what Dave said above you can see stealthed predators perfectly the whole time they're in the radar range. I did not test with infiltrator but, from secondary sources they say it also reveals them permanently. This item is just far too strong as it allows a team to not worry about being flanked what so ever on so many maps.

I think that's its use ( not being flanked) it's like a shield that protects you from behind enemies which is a good strategy point
2014-02-15_00007.jpg
btw I love playing -smiley mustached face-

#20 MegaManX

MegaManX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 03:21 AM

Scanners are not OP. In fact usually they are a waste of a slot. With good headphones (listening for other mechs walking around, they are pretty loud) and good map awarness, no enemy ever really gets the drop on you. Scanners can also be outplayed if enemies are too reliant on them. They have a small radius and they cannot move at all. Plus they are on a TIMED life. They will disappear after a short while. Also it isn't like one team can have a scanner. If it is such a problem and you have trouble with it, a radar scrambler is the direct counter to a scanner. A radar scrambler makes them almost useless. Finally, just listen for the hum (again, stop playing with music and listen for noise, this game has a lot of distinct sounds that you can pick out with proper concentration and a good head set.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users