HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Some newbie questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Invect

Invect

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 09:02 AM

Hey there, I just got the Nemesis thing from Steam and I'm looking for some tips. I looked around a bit and got most questions answered, but there's just a few remaining:

1. I'm 99% sure that bullet-based weapons are hitscan, but just to be sure: they're hitscan, right_

2. Is there negative mouse accel built-in_ I think this is to simulate the ten tons of exotic steel I'm rotating instead of my head, but I'm not sure.

3. Any good starter mechs_ I have the pack purchased so I've got nine to choose from. I scout a lot in TF2, so I tried Berserker, and while it works well, it starts to suck against people who can aim. I'm looking at Bruiser and Raider right now.

4. Any way to lower the amount of cockpit shake/aimpunch aside from the options menu_

5. Any plans for custom crosshairs_ Would I get slammed for using an external program that does not interact with the game client in any way to overlay a crosshair_ Sorta hard to pick out thin white lines while aiming at explosions

So yeah. Stellar game so far, loads of fun. Fun even if your team is losing, I find, which is something few games pull off. Looks great and holds 140 FPS easily on an i7-2600k + 660Ti even after forcing 120 FOV.

#2 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted February 17 2014 - 10:07 AM

1. yes

2. Mouse smoothing. what you might be experiencing is cockpit lag, Put it at 0. Cockpit lag is for pure imursion. I would say most vets play with 0 or really low.

3. All the mechs are really good, except the Raider, in pubs you can use this mech fine but once you hit higher tier games it starts to show its disadvantages. The best tip i can give you, start mastering movement. Keep moving, dodge a lot, dodge does not cost fuel. The Zerk is really good air combat mech and players will struggle to hit you in the air unless they are using a lot sustained hit scan weapons. Bruiser is a sinch, fly around, lock on, shoot.

4. cockpit shake is in the settings. yes.

5. There are a few ini mods that players have developed, ill try to find the links. No you will not be punished for it.

Edit: heres the forum. You'll have to do some digging there's 14 pages and im quite lazy.

Also you can adjust your FOV in the settings, and in the .ini settings to make it even bigger 120 is the max. Xacius has a guide for that. :P didnt read that last line of your post mang, good info to have anyways.

Hope you enjoy hawken.

Edited by LoC_TR, February 17 2014 - 10:21 AM.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#3 hendman

hendman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostInvect, on February 17 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

2. Is there negative mouse accel built-in_ I think this is to simulate the ten tons of exotic steel I'm rotating instead of my head, but I'm not sure.

View PostLoC_TR, on February 17 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

2. Mouse smoothing. what you might be experiencing is cockpit lag, Put it at 0. Cockpit lag is for pure imursion. I would say most vets play with 0 or really low.

We have a turnrate cap, no matter how fast you move your mouse, the mech will only turn at a max speed. A lot of people think it is a negative mouse acceleration, but it is not.

To make your mech feel more responsive, it might help to move your mouse a bit slower (which might be easier said then done).

#4 Desert_Fox2

Desert_Fox2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 11:29 AM

View Posthendman, on February 17 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

To make your mech feel more responsive, it might help to move your mouse a bit slower (which might be easier said then done).

I figured that out today! The things you learn..

#5 Invect

Invect

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for the responses! Going to have to unwire the reflexes and turn more slowly, I guess. Also going to try Bruiser more often now that I've got it down to "90lg people with the SMG while slinging missiles around"

#6 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted February 17 2014 - 12:53 PM

View PostInvect, on February 17 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

Thanks for the responses! Going to have to unwire the reflexes and turn more slowly, I guess. Also going to try Bruiser more often now that I've got it down to "90lg people with the SMG while slinging missiles around"

Try turning and dodging to achieve a better LOS on your target faster, but beware your enemy will try the same.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#7 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted February 17 2014 - 06:56 PM

View PostInvect, on February 17 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

Hey there, I just got the Nemesis thing from Steam and I'm looking for some tips. I looked around a bit and got most questions answered, but there's just a few remaining:

1. I'm 99% sure that bullet-based weapons are hitscan, but just to be sure: they're hitscan, right_
You are correct
Make sure mouse smoothing/mouse acceleration is off in windows and in Hawken.

3. Any good starter mechs_ I have the pack purchased so I've got nine to choose from. I scout a lot in TF2, so I tried Berserker, and while it works well, it starts to suck against people who can aim. I'm looking at Bruiser and Raider right now. It really depends on what play style you are after. Brawler is a deadly mech and one my favorite.

4. Any way to lower the amount of cockpit shake/aimpunch aside from the options menu_
Cockpit shake is in the settings. I have mine on low.

5. Any plans for custom crosshairs_ Would I get slammed for using an external program that does not interact with the game client in any way to overlay a crosshair_ Sorta hard to pick out thin white lines while aiming at explosions.
See LoC's post

So yeah. Stellar game so far, loads of fun. Fun even if your team is losing, I find, which is something few games pull off. Looks great and holds 140 FPS easily on an i7-2600k + 660Ti even after forcing 120 FOV.
:) Good game indeed.

Edited by OmegaNull, February 17 2014 - 06:57 PM.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#8 FirstRaven

FirstRaven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of an A Class mecha- behind you.

Posted February 21 2014 - 08:22 PM

3. get an air compressor and your Beserker will have a whole new life. Maybe even an air 180...

#9 kadath001

kadath001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 01:05 PM

i think maybe this is not the tread, but what is "hitscan" _

#10 BradersVal

BradersVal

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Posted March 15 2014 - 01:55 PM

View Postkadath001, on March 15 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

i think maybe this is not the tread, but what is "hitscan" _

Hitscan is basically a way to simulate extremely fast projectile travel speeds, i.e. bullets. If your crosshairs are over a hitbox when you pull the trigger; it registers a hit regardless of range and travel time (additional dice-roll mechanics are laid on top to see if you qualify for a hit, e.g. bullet spread, misfire etc.)

The other type of weapon, is the projectile based weapon. This is where an actual projectile travels through three dimensional space, like the Tow or Grenade launcher.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users