HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Interesting uses for the shield_

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Gabbahead

Gabbahead

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationVladivostok, "forest" graveyard

Posted March 13 2014 - 04:40 PM

Shield_
Not heard...

Posted Image

Edited by Gabbahead, March 13 2014 - 04:58 PM.

Posted Image

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]IIuLLlu TpaHc/\uToM. 6ygb My)i(ukoM, 6/\eaTb![/font]

#22 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 13 2014 - 11:08 PM

View PostKer4u, on March 13 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

View PostHouruck, on March 13 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

by DaPheel
this is old one when you still could shoot trough shield :)
And/or when you still could attach shields to other players.

Edited by The_Silencer, March 13 2014 - 11:09 PM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#23 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted March 13 2014 - 11:52 PM

View PostThe_Silencer, on March 13 2014 - 11:08 PM, said:

by DaPheel
and you still can do it, that's the point of my video

- lok'tar ogar -

#24 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 14 2014 - 03:25 AM

lol, bad thing then.. if that's the case; oc..

I thought they removed that already.

Edited by The_Silencer, March 14 2014 - 03:26 AM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#25 Simp

Simp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 08:00 AM

Gabbahead that is beautiful
Peek-a-BOOM

#26 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 14 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostKer4u, on March 13 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:

View PostThe_Silencer, on March 13 2014 - 11:08 PM, said:

by DaPheel
and you still can do it, that's the point of my video

Actually you should know that "occasionally" you can do it. That's the point of my post (peace though). :)

Edited by The_Silencer, March 14 2014 - 10:48 AM.

Posted Image

#27 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted March 16 2014 - 08:19 AM

Surprised nobody posted this!

Basically, throw down a shield when you see an enemy approaching.  Stay inside, but pace a little so they don't figure out what you're up to.  Once they get in the shield, simultaneously fire your burst weapons and dodge outside of the shield.  Dance as necessary until your burst weapons cool down, then hop through the barrier to whatever side they're on and do it again, but never be on the same side of the shield as your enemy when your weapons are on cooldown; you can dodge right to the safe side again as soon as you fire.  I've managed to kill enemies as a 100 hp brawler doing this, and I can't say enough how useful of a technique it is.

Edited by comic_sans, March 16 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#28 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted March 17 2014 - 09:50 AM

View Postcomic_sans, on March 16 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

Basically, throw down a shield when you see an enemy approaching.  Stay inside, but pace a little so they don't figure out what you're up to.  Once they get in the shield, simultaneously fire your burst weapons and dodge outside of the shield.  Dance as necessary until your burst weapons cool down, then hop through the barrier to whatever side they're on and do it again, but never be on the same side of the shield as your enemy when your weapons are on cooldown; you can dodge right to the safe side again as soon as you fire.  I've managed to kill enemies as a 100 hp brawler doing this, and I can't say enough how useful of a technique it is.

This is as annoying as it is effective.

To add some little good to know stuff: you can fire at the enemy sooner than when the enemy thinks he is inside the bubble. The mech model (and the hitbox) enter the bubble sooner than the "camera" of the outside player, making it easy to do the shots comic_sans explained in his post.

So you can fire at your enemy before the enemy thinks he can fire at you. This is big. And exploitable. Also counterable with EMP.

#29 Zaxik

Zaxik

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech republic

Posted March 17 2014 - 11:08 AM

Shield is no longer a significant advantage.. but it's now way funnier than ever before... that awkward moment when I drop a shield and the enemy stops boosting to me and just stands out there, staring at me, and I stare at him, nobody really does anything, nobody wants to be that guy that gets hit as soon as he walks to the other side... I always have to laugh XD
Got few Hawken vids here on my YT.

#30 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted March 17 2014 - 02:04 PM

View PostKopra, on March 17 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

View Postcomic_sans, on March 16 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

This is as annoying as it is effective.

To add some little good to know stuff: you can fire at the enemy sooner than when the enemy thinks he is inside the bubble. The mech model (and the hitbox) enter the bubble sooner than the "camera" of the outside player, making it easy to do the shots comic_sans explained in his post.

So you can fire at your enemy before the enemy thinks he can fire at you. This is big. And exploitable. Also counterable with EMP.

I should also say that if you do this, resist all normal urges to shoot the shield.  Use it as a gate as long as possible.

Edited by comic_sans, March 17 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#31 Athanix

Athanix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 09:55 AM

Even though I only started playing recently, I think that the Shield MK-II was one of the most important buys for myself as a scout player. Not only is it useful in a host of different situations, (This counting both offensively and defensively.) but I have found it rather straightforward to use in the beginning when I was still new to everything. I won't lie too when I say that I was happy to hear that other people do the whole obnoxious thing of ducking in and out of a bubble to toy with your enemies. There was me thinking that I was just being cheesy!

Basic use of it is easy to grasp in it of itself as already explained in this post so wonderfully by many of the more experienced members of the community. (Thanks for the videos as well. Those were pretty sick.)

But like I said before, I have the Shield MK-II. I was wondering what everyone else thought about the other MK's of it (That being of course the MK-I and the MK-III) Is it worth the extra slots, or are there other more useful things to have_ For example, my current setup is a Portable Radar MK-I, Shield MK-II, and the Item Regenerator. This allows me to spot weaknesses in enemy formations to exploit and flank, as well as offering me safe options with the extra sheilds.

#32 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 18 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostAthanix, on March 18 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

Even though I only started playing recently, I think that the Shield MK-II was one of the most important buys for myself as a scout player. Not only is it useful in a host of different situations, (This counting both offensively and defensively.) but I have found it rather straightforward to use in the beginning when I was still new to everything. I won't lie too when I say that I was happy to hear that other people do the whole obnoxious thing of ducking in and out of a bubble to toy with your enemies. There was me thinking that I was just being cheesy!

Basic use of it is easy to grasp in it of itself as already explained in this post so wonderfully by many of the more experienced members of the community. (Thanks for the videos as well. Those were pretty sick.)

But like I said before, I have the Shield MK-II. I was wondering what everyone else thought about the other MK's of it (That being of course the MK-I and the MK-III) Is it worth the extra slots, or are there other more useful things to have_ For example, my current setup is a Portable Radar MK-I, Shield MK-II, and the Item Regenerator. This allows me to spot weaknesses in enemy formations to exploit and flank, as well as offering me safe options with the extra sheilds.

The thing about the MK-III, do you really survive long enough to make use of all 3 enough_
Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#33 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 01:40 PM

look down and hit shield to pop it out slightly quicker. didnt realise that hitbox thing Kopra mentioned. that plus a ping adv = opponent frustration. I wonder if thats something the devs can fix.

#34 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 18 2014 - 04:29 PM

Place a health orb plus a lot of Pred mines within an E-shield and see if someone bites... :P :D

Just kidding.. or maybe not... :D

Posted Image

#35 Kaiziku

Kaiziku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 10:22 AM

I like using it for area denial and just to mess with people. I won a 1v4 last night by dropping it behind me to stop the damage I took while in Turret mode (I only play my Vanguard... only as in I've played the game for less than a day now), and took down 2 of the basic mechs, then had a heavy and a berserker coming at me. The berskerker screws up, dodges into the dome, and wastes a lot of damage on nothing, but breaks the shield. The heavy stays in turret mode so I ignore it, get out of turret mode, barely living, and then unload onto the berserker, who had dodged into a pillar. With my internals activated, I was able to heal through most of the damage being done, so i go behind the heavy, STILL in turret mode, go into my own turret mode, and launch everything I had left. Took him down, then got blown up by an Assault XD No way could I live for so long if I didn't have that shield blocking a lot of the bullets coming at me.

#36 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted March 20 2014 - 08:54 AM

I don't know if this works with the shield, but there are walls on bazaar that a heat charge projects through. Maybe shields work too_

#37 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted March 20 2014 - 12:05 PM

So, as many of you know, the shield is an awesome item, but it use to be broken as hell. Now, it takes some practice to use.

So, just how do you use this dome of impenetrability_

Protection
Trap
Avoidance

Being a scout pilot, you have to use EVERYTHING you can to win. It doesn't matter what it is. Personally, I love using shields. They are awesome and give you a wide range of uses.

Protection:

The simplest way to use a shield is to just drop it and use it for cover. This is great if you are trying to avoid incoming fire, block a nasty barrage of hellfire, hold a point for longer, or just to buy time before the inevitable. Now, this can all be tied into using it for... other less honorable ways.

Trap:

So, you put down a shield because your low on health, huh_ The enemy is pushing in for the kill and you very few places to go. There is no cover. If you try to escape and go across an open area, you will likely die. If stay and try to fight in the shield, you will likely die. What do you do_ You lay a trap.

Most enemies will try to boost into the shield or walk into and immediately start with guns blazing, going after you. As you try to escape from the shield, they will own it and then own you. So, you wait toward the back of the shield and as they come in, you will see the should deform around them. Literally, as soon as they are in the should, fire a secondary + primary combo (Tow + Flak) and immediately afterward dodge out. They are now in the shield with face full of damage and are outside of it, safe and sound... mostly. If they enemy is still charging for you, then there are other options you can do. Try to lure them out of the shield after you, avoiding damage, and immediately get back into the shield. Depending on how much health they have left, you may be able to do the next best thing.

SURPRISE!

This works really well with the flak scout, but works fine for other mechs. If any enemy is just outside the shield or coming in toward you (they must be outside the shield). You can quickly boost forward and jump. When you jump just after a boost, it pulls your weapons into the ready position immediately and their is no cooldown period after the a boost as there would be normally (generally a second or two). As you come out of the shield, you dive bomb down into them and lay hell on earth. Open fire with both your primary and secondary weapon at the same time. Most of the time the enemy will be caught off guard and if you have enough health, you may be able to tank through the splash damage, deal massive damage to your enemy, and even kill them before they know what happened. If not, you may be able to do a quick dodge and followup with another shot from your flak or TOW (if it is ready).

Another option involves something even more devious: EMP.
If you thrown down a shield, the cool down passes, the enemy is still in the shield, and you have an EMP at your disposal, then you can lob one into the should, blowing it away AND disabling your enemy's weapons and HUD. Oh how wonderful this is. Now, have fun. Oh, did I mention that this works very well even if you are low on health_

Avoidance:

If you are being chased and you have a shield, throw it down and just keep running. Nothing like using it as another form of cover! :)

Hope this helps. Have fun and play nice. >: D
From my own topic.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#38 NestorTheWaiter

NestorTheWaiter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 07:05 AM

I just really love to throw my shield on the AA when we're capturing it with the entire team, or put a barrage in any kind of small corridor

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users