HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The Predator is Fine.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Dew

Dew

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted February 19 2014 - 08:42 PM

Please tell me why my mech's ability can be made completely useless by dropping a scanner or looking in my general direction. Even if they somehow fail to notice me visually, being in line of sight puts me on radar. Being below someone's cone of vision but still in front of them puts me on radar.

What's the deal with this_

#2 Incognit0

Incognit0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 19 2014 - 08:44 PM

As someone whos been playing A LOT of pred lately, I feel silly for not noticing this...

#3 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted February 19 2014 - 08:47 PM

Scanner is bugged. Look around the forums.

Posted Image

#4 Dew

Dew

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted February 19 2014 - 08:54 PM

It's not just the scanner.

EDIT: I just tested it to make sure I'm not fuzzy bunny crazy, but it's true. If you're in someone's cone of vision you show up on radar while cloaked, scanner or not.

Edited by Dew, February 19 2014 - 08:58 PM.

#5 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 09:18 PM

Remove radar.

https://robertsspace...orgs/OMNISCIENT

Complaining about Hawken's population_  Read this: https://community.pl...en/#entry524454

Posted Image   

#6 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted February 19 2014 - 09:38 PM

View PostDew, on February 19 2014 - 08:54 PM, said:

It's not just the scanner.

EDIT: I just tested it to make sure I'm not fuzzy bunny crazy, but it's true. If you're in someone's cone of vision you show up on radar while cloaked, scanner or not.

Notiged that too. It's ridicolous. When they make a cloaking that actual cloaks_ I'm sick of all the bugs.
Do show mech on radar == false ._.

Edited by FakeName, February 19 2014 - 09:39 PM.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#7 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 09:50 PM

Sorry to hear the troubles... Here's a Beta card:
Posted Image
After all...It's only Beta.

I'm not impressed either...

#8 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted February 19 2014 - 09:56 PM

View PostNept, on February 19 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

Remove radar.

If this were to happen, the devs would need to work on the game's sounds to give players a way to read their surroundings more efficiently.  Honestly, I don't think the maps are even designed for it.
High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#9 -Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 10:16 PM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on February 19 2014 - 09:50 PM, said:

It's been in beta for over a freaking year. This isn't the first time the bugged cloaks have been brought up, either. >_<)\

#10 MechCraft

MechCraft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 10:55 PM

Yea, stealth has some absurd issues, especially considering its primary mechanical drawbacks. Pred's cloak limits mobility and breaks if anything so much as sneezes on it - Infil's cloak is gated by a 40s cooldown and (frankly annoying) fuel tie-in.

Those should be drawback enough. We don't need nonsense like LoS cones/scanners pinging stealthed mechs on top of that. Stealth should be, well, stealth, not just a shiny blanket that doesn't do anything when people glance in your vague direction or start waving lock-on weapons around.

Edited by MechCraft, February 19 2014 - 11:10 PM.

Beware of ninjas.

#11 Dorro

Dorro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 11:30 PM

Arnold Schwarzenegger is in the bushes covered in mud and watching you, hitting his Q key on you to alert the enemy team of your presence.

That's what you get for killing Governor Jesse "The Body" Ventura.
There's a touch of Evil in my mind

#12 [HWK]HUGHES

[HWK]HUGHES

the Drinker of Coffee

• Adhesive Games
  • 804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted February 20 2014 - 12:00 AM

View Post&#045;Tj&#045;, on February 19 2014 - 10:16 PM, said:

It's been in beta for over a freaking year. This isn't the first time the bugged cloaks have been brought up, either. >_<)

It's only a bug if it's not working as intended. As of now, it's functioning as designed.

Jason Hughes
Producer || Adhesive Games || twitter: @digitalHUGHES

#13 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted February 20 2014 - 12:03 AM

So infiltrators Stealth is just a speed boost now_ Nice Hughes, nice.

Edited by Sylhiri, February 20 2014 - 12:03 AM.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#14 Qazda

Qazda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted February 20 2014 - 01:12 AM

View PostDew, on February 19 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

Being below someone's cone of vision but still in front of them puts me on radar.

Are you sure that's "working as intended"_

Posted Image

#15 Dew

Dew

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted February 20 2014 - 01:23 AM

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on February 20 2014 - 12:00 AM, said:

It's been in beta for over a freaking year. This isn't the first time the bugged cloaks have been brought up, either. >_<)

It's only a bug if it's not working as intended. As of now, it's functioning as designed.

I can understand uncloaked mechs generating a radar signature if in line of sight, but cloaked mechs_ What is even the reasoning behind that_

The worst is where someone swings their view ever so slightly over you and doesn't spot you, but your blip shows up on radar for a fraction of a second and your cover is blown. Or when people glance in my general direction when I'm seemingly behind cover, then come running after me. When I ask how they knew I was there, turns out I popped up on radar. Having a visual effect on cloak at all is absolutely meaningless if the game just up and tells you a cloaked mech is there anyway.

It's like having some guy looking over their shoulder going, "Hey! Hey! There's a cloaked guy, you just missed him!"

Edited by Dew, February 20 2014 - 01:29 AM.

#16 Muffintrumpet

Muffintrumpet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted February 20 2014 - 01:56 AM

cloak isn't meant to make you completely undetectable until /you/ take an action
it's meant to buy you a second or two while exploiting a distracted enemy and in that regard, particularly in a very low TTK environment where the first hit often decides the engagements, both stealth modes do pretty damn well
stealth is one of the only utility abilities that actually does something useful; be _very_ thankful it's not on the same level of usefulness as the Brawler Turret mode

"To the untrained eye this chart may indeed appear to demonstrate a steep and sustained downward trend; however, what you're actually seeing is the line being dragged down because of the strengthening gravitational pull of a player base that is actually increasing in density.  Rest assured, this is all going completely according to plan."

#17 DarkSpock

DarkSpock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted February 20 2014 - 02:22 AM

View PostDew, on February 20 2014 - 01:23 AM, said:

I can understand uncloaked mechs generating a radar signature if in line of sight, but cloaked mechs_ What is even the reasoning behind that_

The worst is where someone swings their view ever so slightly over you and doesn't spot you, but your blip shows up on radar for a fraction of a second and your cover is blown. Or when people glance in my general direction when I'm seemingly behind cover, then come running after me. When I ask how they knew I was there, turns out I popped up on radar. Having a visual effect on cloak at all is absolutely meaningless if the game just up and tells you a cloaked mech is there anyway.

It's like having some guy looking over their shoulder going, "Hey! Hey! There's a cloaked guy, you just missed him!"

Radar scrambler. Use it.

#18 -Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted February 20 2014 - 02:54 AM

So it's clearly visible, Hellfires lock on it with a sweep of the reticle, it doesn't confuse radar, and on the Infiltrator it eats fuel, only lasts as long as there's fuel available, and the cooldown resets even if you only use it for a fraction of a second. ... and this is all intended_ Seriously, what is the thinking behind this_

If that's the way you folks intend it to be, I don't really see a reason for continuing to use it on the Infiltrator. I've been shot at while cloaked so many times that I may as well not be cloaked and save my fuel, in which case what's the point of having the ability at all_

#19 Muffintrumpet

Muffintrumpet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted February 20 2014 - 03:08 AM

you may whine that cloak loses effectiveness at higher levels of play but I don't see how that's any different to the Turret modes similarly becoming near-useless at those levels

doubtless Hawken has problems with providing viable abilities across all mechs, and not all mechs are created equally, but the gamut of 'viable' vs 'useless' abilities in this game is extremely wide
on balance the cloaks sit somewhere near the middle of that range, which isn't all that bad - considering

"To the untrained eye this chart may indeed appear to demonstrate a steep and sustained downward trend; however, what you're actually seeing is the line being dragged down because of the strengthening gravitational pull of a player base that is actually increasing in density.  Rest assured, this is all going completely according to plan."

#20 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted February 20 2014 - 05:12 AM

If this is working as designed, than the design should be changed.  

As it is Turret mode and Cloaked mechs special abilities are weaker than others.  
Turret mode also looks really lame.  

So Blitz should consume double fuel.
The Scout's Fuel ability should require the scout to stop moving for 2 seconds
The Beserkers damage should double heat generation
etc.
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TAW Recruitment[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users