HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Reaper vs Sharpshooter Similarities and Differences

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfgaard

Wolfgaard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted February 20 2014 - 08:50 PM

Since open test drive of any mech hasn't been implemented (and realistically probably never will) I'm curious of the contrast between Hawken's (so far only) sniper class mechs, the Reaper and Sharpshooter.

With the most recent change in test drive mechs I've had a chance to get to know the Reaper and I must say I do like it, more then I thought I would. I've liked sniper roles in games but have never been very good consistently, which the Reaper allows me more freedom to do compared to most other non-mech FPS do, survivability the main factor I like.

But I've also game up against a few Sharpshooters both in and not in a Reaper and I am curious how it compares to the Reaper. From the obvious points I can discern it's slower, has more hitpoints (since it's a medium mech as opposed to a light mech like the Reaper) it's weapons seem to be slower firing higher damage versions of the Reaper's weapons and it's special ability favors damage output compared to increased accuracy.

Any finer points I am missing_ Curious to here any veteran Sharpshooter pilots thoughts and feedback, but any info is welcome regardless of where it comes from. :)

On a side note the Reapers increased accuracy with it's ability seems kinda trivial to be honest, damn near on the mark every shot, well the ones I aim and not flub wildly that is, (but that's pilot error not the mech short comings :P) so is the 10 second accuracy boost on par with the Sharpshooter's 10 second damage increase_

#2 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted February 20 2014 - 09:15 PM

Reaper iz 4 babby
SS iz 4 pro

But seriously, the harder hitting Sharpshooter is the better of the two, and respectively takes more skill to use.

While you do have more hitpoints, they'll disappear quickly against many CQC classes. And since your slower than a Reaper, that means you can't just up and run away whenever somebody closes, so positioning becomes much more important. Also, the Sharpshooter's Sabot is less accurate when unscoped than the Reapers, and unless your target is point blank, it's fairly unreliable to try to noscope. This of course means you need to understand how to fight while scoped (since quick scoping really isn't viable due to the mechanics in place), and be able to keep track of your surroundings. It can be tricky.

In general, except for a little bit more health, the Sharpshooter is less forgiving than the Reaper, and more suited to those who are confident in their positioning and aiming skills, but the upside is the Sharpshooter will give a greater potential performance.

FYI, people who camp with the SS are not people who are comfortable with their aiming and positioning skills. That is what we call a bad Sharpshooter. Good Sharpshooters are constantly moving and engaging in mid-close range combat).

Also, the Reaper's ability is pretty much worthless. Probably one of the worst in the game.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#3 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted February 23 2014 - 09:22 AM

I find the Reaper to be the harasser of the two, stay on the move and shoot just about anyone you can see. Much more about assists and poke damage than actual kills. (using the AM-SAR and Hawkins)

Sharpshooter is much more damaging and can nail specific targets (Techs) more easily.

Both are awful when the enemy gets too close(point blank flying) due to turn cap.

Edited by Stingz, February 23 2014 - 09:32 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#4 rejwen

rejwen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 04:02 PM

Both are good Technician Hunters :D Reaper is better for more agressive fight. SS for me is too slow. Playing reaper gives you more options to various attacks.
sorry for my english

#5 kid_cryptic

kid_cryptic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 07:19 PM

I don't find the Reapers high accuracy special useless. Firing your rifle anywhere outside 30 feet without being scoped and you have a chance of missing. With the ability turned on your rifle will hit where it's aimed without scoping. Essentially if your not exactly in cqc or far enough where scoping is optimal this is where the ability comes into play in my experience. Finding its sweet spot range wise and timing it correctly will help.

Edited by kid_cryptic, February 24 2014 - 07:20 PM.

#6 kid_cryptic

kid_cryptic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 07:28 PM

If you like sniping absolutely try them both. The differences are small but with a game like Hawken details do matter. Use your items and internals to widen the gap in there play style to create more diversity in your sniping game. Personally, I enjoy more frantic play with the Reaper so i have items like the hologram to throw people of my trail while i flank. The SS i tend to find an advantageous spot and hunker down so i'll use turrets and such. Just my two cents, i'm a newbie but these are the only mechs i've been using thus far

#7 S4LT

S4LT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 03:35 PM

The Reaper can chase down low-hp targets and engage them in closer quarters with Precision Overdrive. The sharpshooter deals more burst damage.

#8 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted February 25 2014 - 06:41 PM

View PostS4LT, on February 25 2014 - 03:35 PM, said:

The Reaper can chase down low-hp targets and engage them in closer quarters with Precision Overdrive. The sharpshooter deals more burst damage.

Reaper doesn't even need to get close, just line of sight to nail a target with Ke-Sabot + AM-SAR/Slug.

Ability is more for close range Ke-S shots on already close targets.

Edited by Stingz, February 25 2014 - 06:41 PM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#9 LinearFox

LinearFox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted February 25 2014 - 09:07 PM

SS players represent! Hahahaha wooooot

Posted Image

South Asia Team

LinearFOX

#10 Trych

Trych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 09:33 PM

I personally love the Reaper. Definitely one of my favorite mechs. I prefer the RPR over the AM-SAR because I am a more aggressive pilot, but that is just my style of play. If you truly enjoy and excel at long-range combat, I would recommend using the slug rifle along with the KE- Sabot. The Hawkins RPR is great for mid to close range fighting, and I think the AM-SAR is suitable at all ranges if used correctly (It does, of course, lean more toward mid/long range combat). I don't enjoy SS due to my love of CQC, but everyone has their different preferences.

ideas are bad

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users