HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Infiltrator or Scout_

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 FirstRaven

FirstRaven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of an A Class mecha- behind you.

Posted March 02 2014 - 05:55 PM

My Scout is the second mech I leveled to rank 6, my Iinfilitartor is leveled to rank 4.
Both are fun to play and have their advantages/weaknesses. I very much prefer my scout, however for me, it's a question of playstyle, the map I'm on, the game mode and the team. Scout is like Reaper/SS in the sense that you don't really need more than one on a team, and it can be detrimental in TDM particularly to have more than one Scout on a team, unless they're both Incredible pilots.

The Scout is the hardest mech to pilot in Hawken (in my opinion), though it can be the most rewarding. Scout is best for open maps with cover (bazzar, outside of facility), and functions much more as a support mech; somewhere here in the threads, someone mentioned that the Scout "ought to be circling around your team like an angry dog" I couldn't agree more. It's ideal for drawing fire, and attention, away from your teammates. It's great for flanking in TDM and other players battling in DM- sneak around and pulverize any/every c-class you can and get outta there before they turn around to greet you.

The hardest part about piloting the Scout is timing the use of your reserve tank ability and getting in close enough to do damage w/o getting pulverized.

The Infiltrator works out better for me in enclosed spaces (wreckage, the inside of facility). It's also great for sneaking up behind enemies while they're distracted, as well as inserting yourself in the line of fire for savior kills when your teammates are getting pummelled, providing them with a chance to escape.

Internals make a big difference in the A Class; a Scout or Beserker without an air compressor is an easy target when airborn. I also highly recommend a basic repair kit and learning how to duck behind cover, use it and pop back out.

I prefer Scout, though you'll have to figure out how and what role you'd like to play. After you've played the game long enough, you'll have every mech ranked up, anyway. Cheers.

Edited by FirstRaven, March 02 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#22 Hastur609

Hastur609

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted March 03 2014 - 12:10 PM

@ FirstRaven Thanks for the tips! I've been taking tons of notes both from the game and the advice from the kindly vets on this forum!

At the moment I have the Berserker and Scout. I can't really bring myself to play the Scout much because I dislike the MiniFlak so much. I feel it's a bit weak for the Scout's burst damage/flanking style of gameplay. At least when I try it.

I like the Berserker because it's versatile in quite a few encounters, it's basic starting kit (Assault Rifle/Tow) offers some decent range and you can take on just about anyone without being too heavily disadvantaged.

My biggest shame though is that it's on its way to being nearly maxed yet I don't have a single internal inside it, because honestly I can't afford to spend any HC until I have enough to get the Infiltrator.

As soon as I do though, I think the Zerker, Scout, and Infil will be the mechs I gravitate around.

Edited by Hastur609, March 03 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#23 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted March 03 2014 - 03:01 PM

The infil is great and the cloaking ability has been resolved but you gotta be smart about it. If you are fighting someone and pop the ability, you can easily loose track of someone pretty damn quick. Also, infil with a heat cannon and deadly. Really deadly. The key is learning when and when not get in close and when to use your ability.

The scout is someplace I know very well (as I have 200 hours in it). It is a great mech and it can be use to be able to dance around 3 people. However, at the higher tiers of play you cannot simply take on 3 people. You WILL die. Though there have been a number of times I have been saved by a health orb and just being aware of my surrounds. Nothing like taking down 3 people in a row and be nearly on the verge of death.

Also:

Edited by OmegaNull, March 03 2014 - 04:47 PM.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#24 TiconIX

TiconIX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 04:29 PM

omg!

funny, i just posted my review on infiltrator! its horrible - go scout!
infiltrator needs a huge fix! they describe him as mid range...but hes more like a rookie mech for ai practice and even so you wont get kills.

ive havent had issues with scout-hes very managable and arises to any occasion!

Edited by TiconIX, March 06 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#25 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 07 2014 - 07:23 AM

View PostTiconIX, on March 06 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

omg!

infiltrator needs a huge fix! they describe him as mid range...but hes more like a rookie mech for ai practice and even so you wont get kills.

Infiltrator really needs it's unlocks to really start being an Infil instead of another Zerker.
You know there's a good Infil on the enemy team if you keep dying from Grenade shots out of nowhere while repairing.

Infiltrator's ability is Active Camo, not  spywatch invisibility. It's for frantic fights, not head on assault.

Edited by Stingz, March 07 2014 - 07:24 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#26 Blingchicken

Blingchicken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationThe Pit of Despair!

Posted March 10 2014 - 12:54 PM

By now, you have probably picked a mech.  Just try them all out.  Never trust the stats.  Trust the feel of the mech.  Some will just flow a whole lot better then the one everyone says is great.

#27 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 01:27 PM

Going from the Raider_ Infil, without a doubt is the mech you want.

I have been using the Infiltrator since Alpha 2. It is by far my favorite mech. One thing I see people complain about is how useless its cloaking ability is. This is absolutely not the case, so I'm going to clear up some points.

The cloaking ability is NOT FOR MAKING YOU INVISIBLE. Yes, I know that sounds counter-intuitive but if you're counting on people losing sight of you, you will be disappointed. Besides, the cloaking ability has some far far better attributes than mere invisibility.

1. It removes your radar signature. This is absolutely indispensable for making quick flanking maneuvers.

2. It increases your boost speed. This makes the infiltrator similar to a Raider, except you won't be visible on radar while zooming around. It also makes for a great escape tactic. However, this was more useful before the cool-down time was doubled. Still it's a fantastic ambush ability.
Posted Image

#28 Pineapple_Wizard

Pineapple_Wizard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 01:57 PM

View PostTiconIX, on March 06 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

omg!

Infiltrator is my best mech, and as you seem to have noticed is that it's quite difficult to understand the playstyle. If there is an infiltrator you are playing against who is an easy kill, then he isn't doing his job as infiltrator or doesn't understand the role. It's taken me time, but I really do well in the infiltrator, and there aren't many players who are very good at it, I've only met a handful who are able to duel me and win easily

#29 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 10 2014 - 03:14 PM

View PostSilk_Sk, on March 10 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

Going from the Raider_ Infil, without a doubt is the mech you want.

I have been using the Infiltrator since Alpha 2. It is by far my favorite mech. One thing I see people complain about is how useless its cloaking ability is. This is absolutely not the case, so I'm going to clear up some points.

The cloaking ability is NOT FOR MAKING YOU INVISIBLE. Yes, I know that sounds counter-intuitive but if you're counting on people losing sight of you, you will be disappointed. Besides, the cloaking ability has some far far better attributes than mere invisibility.

1. It removes your radar signature. This is absolutely indispensable for making quick flanking maneuvers.

2. It increases your boost speed. This makes the infiltrator similar to a Raider, except you won't be visible on radar while zooming around. It also makes for a great escape tactic. However, this was more useful before the cool-down time was doubled. Still it's a fantastic ambush ability.

Biggest use I've had for Infil cloak is making a quick getaway after rounding a corner. It's extremely hard to catch an infiltrator when they decide to escape with cloak active and know the map.

Cloak is most effective if nobody is focusing on you directly, and some distraction is nearby.

Edited by Stingz, March 10 2014 - 03:15 PM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#30 kellerkiller

kellerkiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 13 2014 - 12:50 PM

sorry for being a noob (I'm not i am level 16 and i started playing yesterday) but what is "skill level"_ I know its a nooby question but i couldnt find mine

#31 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 13 2014 - 01:04 PM

The main deciding factor between the scout and infiltrator is the weapon choice. TOW or GL_ Your pick.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#32 Sadistic_Dentist

Sadistic_Dentist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationPoland/Polska

Posted April 14 2014 - 04:11 AM

Infil is a flanker. When there is a team fight, u cloak, u go behind the enemy lines, and attack them from behind. Turret mode heavies should be your primary target. U shoot a grenade, fire your AR, shoot another grenade and get out of there. If the enemy chases you, u can hide somewhere a Radar Scrambler to confuse him. This kind of tactic can get much fun and many kills. Remember, this is only my opinion and I am not any kind of Infiltrator veteran.

Edited by Sadistic_Dentist, April 14 2014 - 04:14 AM.

WoT: P2W, NEVER MOOOOREEEE!!!
WT: Nice game, tanks finally implemented!
MWO: P2W, movement is fuzzybunnied up
HAWKEN: Great game, but crashes sometimes

#33 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted April 14 2014 - 07:59 AM

Scout, if you don't have air compressor and do not mash dodge every 1.0 seconds, you will die. But If you have the robotic terminator precision to dodge like clockwork while nailing your flak shots at close range, you will make people cry and call the Scout OP.

If you prefer more medium to closeish range play, with a side of surprise robutt flanking when the chance presents itself and spamming Grenades into the AA when flanking would be "Entire team just 180s' and kills you" suicide, go Infiltrator.  Assault rifle is fine, even if I love the EOC on my rank 6 Infil.  Why chase down a kill when you can hitscan tickle their last bit of health to death from halfway across Origin_

I can't rightfully brag about that quad kill with an EOC on Origin, because any team that doesn't turn around when they are slowly hockey puck and grenaded to death would probably be quad killed by a Roomba.  Still felt amazing at the time though.

Nthingg the Cloaking chat, sneak up and flank like you would with any non invisible mech instead, get used to walking when flanking.  My best Stealth and flanking experience came from practice playing my RECRUIT.  Cloaking is good for one thing only in my opinion, it's radar mask.  You can boost while cloaked, but cloaking itself drains fuel so you have about 3-4 seconds of cloak from a full tank when boosting.  If you are out of sight (like, physically behind cover or down an alley) and turn it on while being chased, sometimes enemies will stop chasing you assuming you kept going.  Unless they are in tunnel vision on another enemy, they WILL notice you if you cross their sight.

Also, Hellfires can still lock onto you while cloaked.  This is literally the only problem I have with Hellfires.

Edited by SectionZ, April 14 2014 - 08:00 AM.

#34 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 14 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostSectionZ, on April 14 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

Scout, if you don't have air compressor and do not mash dodge every 1.0 seconds, you will die.

I don't have Air Compressor and I don't spam dodge every second, and yet I score on the top of the board most of the time.

Air Compressor is for when you don't know how to dodge on the ground, or want to be an ###hole.

Only noobs who don't know how to dodge correctly dodge every second.

Both of those things aren't needed to sometimes dominate 3-5 people in a match.

View PostHastur609, on March 03 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

At the moment I have the Berserker and Scout. I can't really bring myself to play the Scout much because I dislike the MiniFlak so much. I feel it's a bit weak for the Scout's burst damage/flanking style of gameplay. At least when I try it.

To be honest I dislike the Mini Flak as well.
Try unlocking the FLAK, as it has a ton of burst damage and fits the Scout really well.

Edited by Meraple, April 14 2014 - 08:08 AM.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#35 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted April 14 2014 - 08:27 AM

View PostMeraple, on April 14 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

I don't have Air Compressor and I don't spam dodge every second, and yet I score on the top of the board most of the time.

Air Compressor is for when you don't know how to dodge on the ground, or want to be an ###hole.

This is what I normally call "Person I can reliably splash to death even with an Infiltrator and EOC", especially if you are not dodging as often as possible.

No slight against your skill though, if you are topping the charts and dominating five people (Seriously, five dominations_ Holy unkillable robo god Batman) most of the time without the Air compressor then you are indeed better than a lot of Scouts, Berserkers, or me by a very, verylarge margin.

But if the OP is asking what to buy, I doubt he has your delicate mech savant touch at the controls and would be better served by advice more fitting to the average mortal.

I'm more in the "Now that I have the Air Compressor on my Berserker, I went from a Negative KDR to 1.75 in three matches" (sadly, now like 1.33 or something) camp. Crutch me to the promised land crutch internal!  I am a bad player with a better score than I had without you. It is pretty great for getting off that obvious target apex of the Jump pad uses faster too.

Edited by SectionZ, April 14 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#36 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 15 2014 - 03:06 AM

View PostSectionZ, on April 14 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

View PostMeraple, on April 14 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

This is what I normally call "Person I can reliably splash to death even with an Infiltrator and EOC", especially if you are not dodging as often as possible.

No slight against your skill though, if you are topping the charts and dominating five people (Seriously, five dominations_ Holy unkillable robo god Batman) most of the time without the Air compressor then you are indeed better than a lot of Scouts, Berserkers, or me by a very, verylarge margin.

But if the OP is asking what to buy, I doubt he has your delicate mech savant touch at the controls and would be better served by advice more fitting to the average mortal.

Well, when I started with Scout, I was SO bad at it that I regretted buying it.
After a few months of playing more CQC Classes though, I began recognizing it's playstyle.

Most of the problem was with me not being used to A classes, and burst weapons in general.

If you're used to lightning-fast maneuvers, and timing your shots carefully, I'd say to go Scout.

If you want to be able to kill about anything that doesn't fly, get Infiltrator and Heat/EOC on it.

If you're playing AR Infil you might as well go SMC Zerker.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#37 Dess

Dess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 03:39 AM

I frakin' hate infils, that grenade always hits me somehow. Still trying to find a solution for it. Between that, an air straffing zerker and a down right depressing & dancing scout mech, I usually just keep my distance from these devils and suppress them. I never win close battles with any of that class.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users