HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hobbes' Hawken Handbook (Work in Progress)

Community Game Video

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 02 2014 - 01:16 PM

PLEASE NOTE: This guide is a work in progress and is not currently finished. Also, the content may change depending on what happens and what people request as I endeavor to complete this monster of a task for you guys. I will update it as often as I am able to. So don't post comments saying that it's not done. I just said it right here. However, feel free to "urge" me in completing this guide.

I have also made a copy of this guide in the Steam Guides as well. If you wish to view it from there or share it with friends via steam just click here for the link!

So I take it you're new and you want to learn how to Hawken_ Well, you guys are in luck; I'm here to teach you. Now, if the fact that I have over 300 hours of game time on Hawken, I got max rank on all 16 mechs (the G2 Assault is "special" so I don't count it) and that my MMR is at about 2000 (match making rank; Hawken's equivalent of a skill rating and most of the community's top players are at least in the 2000's) doesn't convince you that I'm not a total idiot when it comes to Hawken, I don't know what will.

Now, with that bragging out of the way, let's talk about what I'm going to talk about (redundancy ftw). The intro of the guide will talk about all the basics of Hawken and mastering Fred the TV mech (the CR-T Recruit).  Make no mistake, Fred is the most reliable mech in the game so I highly recommend you learn to use him well so you'll always have something to go to when you're in a pinch. But more about that in the actual guide.

After the intro, I'll take you through all of the other mechs in Hawken. Each will have its own section talking about combat basics with the mech as well as the alternate weapons and play styles of the mech in question. I will lightly touch on items and internals for each mech, mostly because if you are new and reading this guide, you don't want to fall into a habit of using items or internals as a crutch. I highly recommend you first learn a mech without the use of items and internals. Items and internals should be used to enhance good play habits not make up for bad ones. I will go over items and internals in the guide after I have covered the mechs because they are still important to learn for Hawken.

After all the mechs are covered, I'll cover items, internals, and how to use them best on your mechs.

After that, I'll have a more advanced guide talking about the game modes, maps, general tactics, strategies, advanced mech maneuvers and even how to play with your opponent's mind.

Also, the majority of this guide will be in videos that I post the links to. Most of the material that I'll be presenting is better covered with a more visual representation.

Now I am not a Hawken god and I don't know everything. If there's any information that I missed or you're a veteran player looking to make sure I haven't messed something up in the guide, just let me know. I'm always happy to add more helpful information to this guide, and if you have video footage, just post a link.

Also, if you like what you see, or you think I can do something better, just let me know.

Enough formalities. Onward to the walking instruments of death!

PILOTING FUNDAMENTALS

This section will contain information that is less mech specific, but vital to know if you want to improve your piloting ability. Things such as tactics, mech manuevers and general piloting techniques will be showcased in this section. The most basic information will be posted near the top, and the more advanced topics will be further down this section.

THE BASICS

First Video is here. I filmed the gameplay in the Offline TDM and Co-op TDM modes so I could focus more on showing proper piloting technique and doing the tutorial. Also, sorry about my mic. It's not a gaming headset and it's not very good, so sorry if I don't sound too great. Anywho, here's the video! Just click the link to get started.

PS: I re-uploaded this video because in the first one my voice was too difficult to hear. The new verision is still the same, just the audio levels have been adjusted so you can hear me better.

How To Hawken: The Basics of Mech Warfare

TEAMWORK

This video will help new players fit in with teammates and work together effectively to increase their chances of victory. So in short, it's how you play nice with others. Also, there's will be something interesting about the game I will show you. Enjoy and learn well!

COMING SOON!!!

MECH MANEUVERS

Part one of my Mech Maneuvers guide.Learning to dodge before you try to fly is ever so important on the battlefields of Hawken. In this video, I'll be going over all the fancy moves a mech can make inside of Hawken. I'll tell you how to do each one and tell you what it is used for.

And stay tuned for Part 2 where I show you how to leave your enemies in the dust!

How To Hawken: Mech Maneuvers Part 1

THE MECHS

The section that you've all probably come here to view! This section will contain guides for all the mechs in the game (given that I've released the video). The videos will cover the basic techniques for piloting the mechs as well as all the weapons available for each mech. I'll even put in a few personal tips and tricks in the videos as well. I've ordered the guides by the difficulty of piloting the mechs. I'll include a difficulty rating (1-5, 5 being the most difficult). Just be aware that this scale is based off of my personal experience and the opinions of other pilots, not the developers. Anywho, hope these guides help you!

PS: I filmed all the footage in the Co-op TDM mode so I could focus on doing the tutorials rather than try to compete with other pilots. These videos weren't meant to show off my skill, they're here to help you guys! ^_^

THE ASSAULT
Difficulty: 1

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the assault mech, with some personal tips from me! This simple, yet effective mech is a good choice for any situation and boasts few weaknesses! The weapons coolant ability the mech possesses gives it the potential to constantly shoot for twice as long as any other mech!

Also, remember that the assault and the CR-T are very similar, so this guide will also work for your CR-T mech as well. Enjoy!

How To Hawken: The Assault

THE G2 ASSAULT
Difficulty: 1

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the G2 assault mech, with some personal tips from me! This remake of the good-ol' assault mech boasts twin vulcans that will tear through anything in it's path! It's Weapons Coolant ability lets it continue the storm of bullets for twice as long!

How To Hawken: The G2 Assault

THE BERSERKER
Difficulty: 2

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the Berserker mech, with some personal tips from me! This light mech strikes terror into the hearts of its enemies with it's high mobility on both the ground and the air and heavy sustained firepower! It's balistic barrage ability gives this deadly assassin the ability to do enormous amounts of damage to unsuspecting enemies!

How To Hawken: The Berserker

THE VANGUARD

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the vanguard mech, with some personal tips from me! This armored beast is often seen spear-heading an attack and assaulting its enemies' position, getting up close and personal with its heavy armor and weaponry! The mobile turret ability makes this heavy mech even heavier and can allow it to shrug off incoming fire from the front!

How To Hawken: The Vanguard

THE BRUISER

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the bruiser mech, with some personal tips from me! This mid-range monster is often seen keeping enemies in their holes with its suppressive fire and Hellfire rockets! It's damage absorb ability can allow it to take a massive beating and still keep ticking!

How To Hawken: The Bruiser

THE REAPER

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the reaper mech, with some personal tips from me! This swift marksman is seen picking at targets from mid-range and often flanking to destroy an enemy defensive line from the sides! It's ability precision overdrive allows it to fire without missing a single shot!

How To Hawken: The Reaper

THE INCINERATOR
Difficulty: 3

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the incinerator mech, with some personal tips from me! This infernal mech roams the battlefield, endlessly spitting fire and metal at all that would oppose it! Its Heat Dispersion ability draws it's power from within the machine's infernal engines and scorches everything surrounding it!

How to Hawken: The Incinerator

THE TECHNICIAN

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the technician mech, with some personal tips from me! The Angel (or demon) of the battlefield quickly zips around the battlegrounds to reach its allies, to give them supporting fire and repair their mechs in the midst of a fight! It's amplification ability greatly increases the output of it's helix repair torch!

How To Hawken: The Technician

THE BRAWLER

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the brawler mech, with some personal tips from me! This hulking, metal beast will reduce anything foolish enough to enter it's lair, into a burning pile of scrap metal! It's Fortified Turret mode lets it slowly rebuild it's armor while waiting for more fools to step foot into the place it guards!

How To Hawken: The Brawler

Input From OmegaNull: The Brawler is by far one of the toughest, and I daresay, the best C-class around. Do not let its slow, hulking mass fool you. In the right hands, it turns into a beast that will make even the devil think twice. Its primary armaments are the Flak Cannon and TOW Launcher. Both of these are on the Scout, but here, they make things interesting. With its massive armor pool and rather quick turn speed, this brute will hold its own in 1v1 battle just fine, let alone along side a team. The key is to keep your enemies in front of you and STAY OUT OF TURRET MODE!!!! The only time you should be in turret mode is when you have your team behind you and you are holding a point (and got orbs/tech) or you are alone and need to heal really fast. Get 2 health orbs, a Advanced Repair Kit and Extractor, plus turret mode, you got some mighty fast healing going on.

Additionally, be smart at when and where you move. Nothing is more punished than a C-class, especially the Brawler. Since it cannot move too well, you might as well not even bother for backup if you get stuck alone against the enemy team. Stick with your team, use cover (yes, use cover), and land your shots. Make sure to keep your enemies in front of you at all times and you got yourself a hell of fun time. Also, when dodging and moving with a Brawler, you must think of why. Don't move just to move. There is plenty of health there to absorb and tank a lot of incoming fire. Just dodge and boost out of the way of secondaries and keep an eye on things around you. If you know the situation is going to get bad or you do not have a favorable position, fall back.

One final thing. The Brawler is probably the best point defense mech in the entire game! There have been plenty of times I have single-handedly held silos or an AA with very little backup from my team for damn near an entire match. A giant he may be, but it is not his size that scares those around him. It is his anger and STRENGTH to make the earth tremble beneath his feet!

THE SHARPSHOOTER

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the sharpshooter mech, with some personal tips from me! Providing ranged fire support, this mech will often perch itself up high to rain lead into enemy mechs from afar! With it's devastating Power Shot ability, it can severely cripple any mech from a distance with a single, pin-pointed shot!

How To Hawken: The Sharpshooter

THE GRENADIER

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the grenadier mech, with some personal tips from me! This metal beast is often found hurling mass amounts of explosives at its enemies, denying them any chance of advancing! It's Artillery Shot ability gives this walking artillery piece even more explosive firepower for a period of time!

How To Hawken: The Grenadier

THE ROCKETEER

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the rocketeer mech, with some personal tips from me! This walking AA gun keeps all of its enemies hiding in their holes, lest they be subject to the barrage of seeker missiles it carries! The Targeting Turret mode of the rocketeer provides heavy frontal armor and better tracking for its deadly missiles!

How To Hawken: The Rocketeer

THE INFILTRATOR
Difficulty: 4

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the infiltrator mech, with some personal tips from me! This mech sneaks around the battlefield, looking for weaknesses in its enemies defenses and then striking when they least expect it! At the cost of fuel, it's camoflauge ability gives it near invisibility to the eye and renders it undetectable by enemy radars until it strikes with leathal force!

How To Hawken: The Infiltrator

THE RAIDER

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the raider mech, with some personal tips from me! This mech excells at close quarters combat and is often seen ambushing enemy patrols from their flanks! It's blitz ability allows it to charge into battle (or out of battle) with extreme speed, even allowing the mech to fire its weapons while boosting forward!

How To Hawken: The Raider

A Quick Note From Hobbes:  The raider is one of the most difficult mechs in the game to use because of how unforgiving it is of missing shots or getting caught off guard. If you aren't controlling the fight in your Raider, the chances of you coming out victorious are very slim. Stay vigilant, stay aware and stay hidden until you have a good chance to close on an enemy and strike them hard! Missing your shots, getting caught off guard and overheating are SEVERELY punished within this mech. NEW PILOTS BEWARE!!! This mech takes a long time to get used to, so if you have the patience to learn this mech, your toiling will be rewarded with the sheer joy of taking enemies out before they even know what hit them. Hit and run; that is the name of the Raider game.

THE SCOUT

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the scout mech, with some personal tips from me! This light mech zips around the battlefield, poking the enemy flanks and providing quick support to its teammates! Its fuel reserves ability allows it to boost at it's top speed for twice as long by quickly refilling its fuel tank!

How To Hawken: The Scout

Input from OmegaNull (aka: The Shield King and the guy who taught me to play Scout):
The scout is a fierce mech that many people either underestimate or they fear. Its speed and striking ability allow it to dive in, take out the weak, and scoot away. Where its prowess comes into play is when an enemy is alone and on the flanks. In a one-on-one fight, the scout is a mech to be loved and feared for its ability to quickly juke in and out of cover, hit hard, and out-maneuver the enemy. Do not be fooled, however, despite all of its strengths, it has vast weaknesses. Its second lowest health pool and small fuel tank (even with Fuel Reserves) can make it a deathtrap. Few mechs are more punished than a scout when caught in the open or mistakes are made. Most do not survive.  When playing a scout, situational awareness is key. It's radar is the largest in the game. Be strong, be brave, and be swift.

Note on Weapons:
Flak Cannon – When using the Flak Cannon, get in close and land your shots. The lack of charge time and ease of use allow for great movement potential.

Heat Cannon – Best used at medium range, however, it has been proven to be strong at close range as well. It's Area of Affect makes it a very strong weapon to use. Aim for the feet. Charge shots are not always necessary.

THE PREDATOR
Difficulty: 5

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the predator mech, with some personal tips from me! This sneaky mech stalks the battlefield, laying traps to ambush its prey with deadly and brutal force! Its stalker ability makes this mech live up to its namesake; rendering it (mostly) invisible for as long as it remains undamaged and giving it thermal vision to track its targets through walls and obstacles!

How To Hawken: The Predator

Note From Hobbes: This mech is extremely complex and hard to use. BEGINNERS BEWARE!!!! This is not a mech for someone who recently started Hawken. In fact, the Predator is so complex that I know for a fact that one video will not cover all the details of it. The video is essentially a VERY basic overview of the mech and it's weapons. I will probably have to do a few more follow up videos on the Predator to fully cover it, but in the mean time, some fellow pilots of mine have written a very in-depth guide about the Predator mech. I highly suggest reading this guide if you wish to pilot the Predator.

The Ultimate Predator Guide (written by Lightangel112 and Meraple)

THE G2 RAIDER
Difficulty: 5

All the essential information you'll want to know about piloting the G2 raider mech, with some personal tips from me! As the raider's fat, little brother, this heavy mech tromps around the battlefield, ready to punch straight through an enemy defensive line either from the front or the flanks with its deadly, close-quarters weapons! It's G2 blitz ability gives this normally slow mech, a tremendous boost in walking speed at the cost of fuel, allowing it to charge like a rhino at its enemies!

How To Hawken: The G2 Raider

GAME MODES

Click here to go to my forum page in Game modes for guides on the various game modes in Hawken!

Edited by SoldierHobbes11, August 15 2014 - 04:56 PM.

Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#2 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted May 12 2014 - 06:28 PM

My guide for the Assault mech is here! If you are trying to view the video near the time I post this, it may not work due to it still being processed, so wait a little bit if it doesn't load at first. Sorry it took so long. I was playing Hawken to grind all the HC necessary to obtain all the weapons in the game, which I have successfully done. I've recorded all the gameplay footage I need now, so all I have to do is record the commentary and edit the videos for all the following mechs. Berserker and the Vanguard are next!

Edited by SoldierHobbes11, May 12 2014 - 06:30 PM.

#3 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted May 12 2014 - 06:39 PM

I've added your Assault video to my guide compilation! :)

Edited by Silverfire, May 12 2014 - 06:40 PM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#4 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted May 12 2014 - 07:06 PM

Silverfire, on May 12 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

I've added your Assault video to my guide compilation! :)
Well, good to know my guide can make the cut. xD

#5 SquirrelDash

SquirrelDash

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted May 12 2014 - 08:18 PM

I love the assault video, I can't wait for your next one!

#6 QuentinW

QuentinW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 04:09 AM

I've just started playing today. You're guide is great for noobs! Can't wait for more.
Would be great if your next two videos could be one light (reaper maybe) and one heavy mech :)

(sry for my english, not my native language)

Edited by QuentinW, May 13 2014 - 04:12 AM.

#7 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 10:07 AM

QuentinW, on May 13 2014 - 04:09 AM, said:

I've just started playing today. You're guide is great for noobs! Can't wait for more.
Would be great if your next two videos could be one light (reaper maybe) and one heavy mech :)

(sry for my english, not my native language)
Thanks! Glad I was able to help you out. Like I said, I'm going to be doing a video for every mech in the game. The next two videos are going to be the Berserker and the Vanguard. It will introduce you new guys to the A-Classes and C-Classes.

#8 QuentinW

QuentinW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 01:14 PM

Little question; do you dodge by holding shift or by double tapping_

#9 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted May 13 2014 - 02:21 PM

QuentinW, on May 13 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

Little question; do you dodge by holding shift or by double tapping_

You do a dodge by hitting Shift + A/D to dodge in each respective direction.  You can change dodge to double tapping A or D in the key bindings settings, I think.

It is explained in the VR Training.

Edited by Silverfire, May 13 2014 - 02:22 PM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#10 QuentinW

QuentinW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 10:56 PM

You do a dodge by hitting Shift + A/D to dodge in each respective direction.  You can change dodge to double tapping A or D in the key bindings settings, I think.
Yeah, I know. I'm just wondering what hotkeys soldierhobbes uses. He's dodging like crazy in those videos.

#11 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted May 14 2014 - 10:13 AM

QuentinW, on May 13 2014 - 10:56 PM, said:

Yeah, I know. I'm just wondering what hotkeys soldierhobbes uses. He's dodging like crazy in those videos.
Oh, I rebinded some of my keys. I have (Shift) as my hover button and (Space) as my boost modifier. I did that because I know I want to dodge and boost more than I hover, so I put the dodge on the space bar. Other changes I made were: Repair = E, Help = C, Interact = V. Those I just did to make some of the keys feel more like TF2, which I play a lot of.

And yes, I dodge like Clint Eastwood most of the time. Trust me, learn to dodge like Neo from The Matrix. A lot of the higher skilled pilots move like I do. I don't dodge haphazardly, though. If I dodge or boost, I almost always do it intentionally. If all you do is spam the dodge button, it becomes very predictable and a skilled pilot can use that to kill you.

Also, I don't recomend double tap. I've tried it, many others have tried it, and we've all come to the conclusion that it's not as natural as pushing (shift) + (a, s, w, d). Well, in my case I use (space) + (a, s, w, d).

Edited by SoldierHobbes11, May 14 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#12 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted May 19 2014 - 02:25 PM

The guides for the Reaper, Berserker and Vanguard are here! The Bruiser and the Incinerator are coming up next.

#13 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 01:12 PM

Alright, my bruiser guide is up ahead of schedule. Also sorry that I had to take down the media files and replace them with links. The forum won't let me have more than 5 media files up so I had to downgrade them all to simple links. They're still the same videos so don't worry about that! Anywho, see you next time with my Incinerator guide and my Teamwork guide follow that.

#14 QuentinW

QuentinW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 12:48 AM

(the G2 Assault is "special" so I don't count it)
What does this mean_ My first mech is an assault and I'm looking to buy G2 as soon as I get rank 6 :D

My second pick would be Incinerator since my girlfriend kinda got into the technician now that he's available for free test drive. These two seem like a good base for a team.

Anyway, great videos. Would be nice to see you go against real players.

And a teamwork guide_ Can't wait :)

#15 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted May 22 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hobbes, contact me tonight on Steam and I will help you get more of this done :)

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#16 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted May 22 2014 - 07:48 PM

I'm diggin' this content, Hobbs. Lots of work and I appreciate it! I'm looking forward to the Raider and Incinerator videos.

Edited by mmm_yep, May 22 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#17 hellc9943

hellc9943

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 07:59 PM

QuentinW, on May 22 2014 - 12:48 AM, said:

(the G2 Assault is "special" so I don't count it)
What does this mean_ My first mech is an assault and I'm looking to buy G2 as soon as I get rank 6 :D

The G2 Assault comes with max rank. You can't level it up whatsoever to unlock any alternate or prestige primary weapons because there aren't any. Kind of a one trick pony and not so rewarding to play like other "full" mechs.

#18 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 23 2014 - 03:32 AM

Predator:

https://community.pl...predator-guide/

Posted Image

Spoiler

#19 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted May 23 2014 - 05:57 PM

mmm_yep, on May 22 2014 - 07:48 PM, said:

I'm diggin' this content, Hobbs. Lots of work and I appreciate it! I'm looking forward to the Raider and Incinerator videos.
Well good to know you guys like what I'm giving you. It'd be a shame if none of this info was stuff you guys liked, or worse, unhelpful.

#20 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted May 27 2014 - 01:40 PM

Alright pilots, my guides for the Technician and Brawler are here! I know I also promised the Incinerator, but I didn't copy the file from my home computer, so I couldn't produce the video today... But rest assured I will have it for you guys tomorrow! Also, I'm postponing the production of any more Fundamentals videos until I get all the class videos out of the way. But yeah, hope you guys like the new guides! Incinerator is tomorrow, followed by the Sharpshooter soon afterward!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community, Game, Video

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users