HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Reaper Slug Rifle

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Varthorne

Varthorne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted March 09 2014 - 03:42 PM

Ahoy!

After spending well over a week trying to reach the right rank, I finally unlocked the Slug Rifle for my Reaper today.

My question is: do people REALLY prefer this over the RPR_ With the RPR, I tended to steamroll most matches. I consistently placed first, or at least fairly high. Now, with the slug rifle, I simply can't seem to do anything. I understand that the Reaper is supposed to be more of a support mech, but I can't get around how slow the slug is.

I can't seem to hit anything, because most people are moving too much for me to be able to land the odd hit here and there. The heat generation is also drastically higher (IMO) than the RPR.

Do I simply need to practice with it_

#2 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted March 09 2014 - 03:46 PM

Yeah you need to practice with the Slug, it's a really good gun.  However, this all depends on your playstyle!  Are you a reaper who likes to get into mid/close range combat_  Then Slug isn't the best choice, Slug is more for long/mid range combat support.  Although. I've seen really good CQC Slug Rifle gameplay with Reaper.

#3 Wasabi_Wei

Wasabi_Wei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin, USA, Earth

Posted March 09 2014 - 03:50 PM

With good ping and FPS the Slug rocks if you change your playstyle to fire both at once, then left-click on the Slug as often as a target presents itself, never missing, quick-scoping like a beast. Slug is awesome but has little forgiveness for ping or not being scoped. RPR is my favorite because I am actually able to land more damage despite the potentially higher DPS of the Slug. Try to get good with the Slug timing in Training - it yields great results if you can swing it. For the rest of us the RPR is King, imo.

Edited by Wasabi_Wei, March 09 2014 - 03:50 PM.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world. - Grateful Dead lyric, but really true.

Just Saying: "If an officer of the law expects to be treated as such, then they had better act as one and uphold our laws and Rights in the pursuit of Justice."

#4 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted March 09 2014 - 03:54 PM

I prefer Slug Reaper for burst power.  RPR is when I need to get closer in, but I'm usually running support-sniper with Slug.

Edited by Silverfire, March 09 2014 - 04:44 PM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#5 Varthorne

Varthorne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted March 09 2014 - 03:59 PM

I definitely tend to be more of a mid-range Reaper. I've found that fighting at long range rarely works in this game, as people can usually just duck behind cover, or simply sneak up on you. Thus, I find myself engaging in CQC too much if I try to stick too far.

The RPR allows me to deal a ton of damage very quickly, which usually makes people flee long before they can deal any significant damage. I usually take this opportunity to chase them down. I also love sneaking on people, especially when they're engaging someone else.

#6 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted March 09 2014 - 04:46 PM

You just have to be very patient with your shots, don't hold down your mouse buttons, fire only when necessary because every shot counts on a Slug Reaper. RPR Reaper is a little more forgiving of accuracy.  Not long range though, because that's SS's job.  I'm living at the mid range chipping away, or when I have to go CQC, I have to rely on good movement and good aim to get me through.  I prefer Slug because the Reaper is far too squishy for my likings for sustained fire, burst allows me to maximize damage and preserve health.

Usually as a Slug Reaper, I'm at some angle in which my team isn't attacking, so I provide another angle of attack.  I chip away at enemies from mid range, constantly moving around. RPR Reaper is definitely viable though, I've met quite a few good RPR Reaper pilots, craftydus comes to mind.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#7 Mech__Warrior

Mech__Warrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted March 09 2014 - 05:47 PM

I love the Slug Reaper.  Chackn (check twitch) is a good Slug Reaper pilot.
Posted Image

#8 FuryMonster

FuryMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted March 09 2014 - 05:56 PM

Slug is superior because you dont need to keep yourself in LOS for the entire time you want to do damage. You peg them, then dodge or go into cover and rinse repeat.  With the RPR you need to stay in LOS also you need to hit many many times to do the same dmg as the SLUG so overall its easier to do dmg in a shorter period of time while being safer.
Want to watch high tier scrims, clan and league matches_ Check out my YouTube! --->https://www.youtube....low=grid&view=0

#9 Loubsters

Loubsters

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 05:42 AM

[ I can't get around how slow the slug is.]

mate, it's called the "slug" rifle..... ;)

#10 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 08:49 AM

It depends on your accuracy.  I can't play slug very well because I miss too much with it.
RPR baby!  Easier to track targets in CQC.  If you never miss, slug is awesome.

It's also good for peekaboo, again, if you don't miss.

#11 Breech

Breech

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 09:59 AM

Why Slug Rifle on a Reaper if you could go for the SS_ In combination with his ability he can deal tons of damage.

Edited by Breech, April 05 2014 - 05:20 AM.

Posted Image

#12 kanamisan

kanamisan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 06:22 PM

View PostBreech, on April 02 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

Why Slug Rifle on a Reaper of you could go for the SS_ In combination with his ability he can deal tons of damage.
because the reaper is much faster then the ss and can at least keep in reach of there team mates. and in worse case, a reaper can run like heck. the way I see it (i am human and can be wrong) the reaper is like a squad marksman, ment to work directly with there troops to provide engagements around and passed what normal "riflemen" units up to the range of the snipers with out taking over the role and the decitation of a sniper. where as the ss is much more of the sniper (bigger burst damage in exchanged for longer reload) also from my limited time playing the ss (while it was on trial) I felt it moved so sluggishly, but then again, I am very used to a class mechs. so it might be me.

#13 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted April 03 2014 - 07:59 AM

Slug Reaper is essentially Reaper G2: Twin Slug Boogaoo. You can peek-a-boo from any range no problem, if you're accurate.

Close range you suffer from worse DPS but have much better burst damage. If you want to cover all ranges take Hawkins-RPR, it'll cover Close-Med while KE-Sabot covers Med-Long.

Edited by Stingz, April 03 2014 - 08:01 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#14 Breech

Breech

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 05:21 AM

View Postkanamisan, on April 02 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

Why Slug Rifle on a Reaper of you could go for the SS_ In combination with his ability he can deal tons of damage.
because the reaper is much faster then the ss and can at least keep in reach of there team mates. and in worse case, a reaper can run like heck. the way I see it (i am human and can be wrong) the reaper is like a squad marksman, ment to work directly with there troops to provide engagements around and passed what normal "riflemen" units up to the range of the snipers with out taking over the role and the decitation of a sniper. where as the ss is much more of the sniper (bigger burst damage in exchanged for longer reload) also from my limited time playing the ss (while it was on trial) I felt it moved so sluggishly, but then again, I am very used to a class mechs. so it might be me.

And since when do you need more speed when you're playing at range__ Nonsense high 10, and btw the SS is fast enough.

Edited by Breech, April 05 2014 - 05:21 AM.

Posted Image

#15 kanamisan

kanamisan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 05:05 PM

View PostBreech, on April 05 2014 - 05:21 AM, said:

View Postkanamisan, on April 02 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

And since when do you need more speed when you're playing at range__ Nonsense high 10, and btw the SS is fast enough.
why are you playing at such a range that movement is not important. the further away from a fight, the less area you can cover and therefore the less effect you can have on your team, now I am not saying for you to be right on top of your team, but being able to cover more area for your team both offensively and defensively makes a huge impact. secondly, if your so far away that mobility is as you say, not important and a fast mech attacks you, your dead. (unless its a tech, but even then you still could be killed)  with the reaper, your not supost to be so far back your not in combat range, you are infact often dancing about 100ish meters from your target which allows you to dodge most explosive projectiles with great ease. this allows your guns to take effect from falloff and still keeps you close enough to support your assault. I could understand if a ss is further back,  but lets be honest, many other experts who I know are really good and the few 2k+ mmr fokes I have seen with my own eyes using the reaper have been able to fight  in the same 100meter range dance in both the reaper and the ss. but I have seen more 2k+ people use the reaper because its faster, they can keep up with pushes or escape from counter assaults and its much more flexible as well. also everyone forgets the advantage of the reapers ability, which is a zero accuracy penalty effect, so basicly you can shoot your weapons at near mid or far range on the fly with out having to scope, this is really good when flying to finish off targets or when dancing in mid near range with no chance to scope in at all. I make no claims to be the best player ever. I am just saying what I have seen, and what I have heard (so long as I trust them) so I know your wrong on this. and I know your problem, 1x thinking, try thinking outside of the box next time.

#16 Frisbee_Player

Frisbee_Player

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationDefinitley not wasting my time on the computer when its nice out...

Posted April 05 2014 - 05:52 PM

As an experienced reaper pilot (rank 6) I can say that when I bought the slug rifle I only used it twice... once was when I realized that its firerate was waaaaaay too low to skirmish with (I promptly died with no kills) then the second was a week or two later when I tried it again to make sure I really didn't wast 6k HC... I hate it

#17 brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 06 2014 - 03:26 PM

As a less experienced reaper pilot, I can say that I've used the slug rifle more than Frisbee_Player but have the roughly same opinion of it. The slug rifle does a bunch of damage with each shot, and if you combine it with the KE-Sabot you can deal a large amount of damage with a single attack from far away which is useful for picking off weakened, fleeing enemies or weakened, healing enemies from a distance (and also for picking up assists). When it comes to fighting enemies with most of their health, however, I haven't had much success; with lots of movement, it's often difficult to aim successfully and if you don't use terrain well enough you'll find yourself eating a lot more damage than you're dishing out -- which is a particularly bad thing since you're a flimsy A-class. I think playing the reaper with the RPR or AM-SAR is much more fun, and the speed and agility from being an A-class mech better complements these weapons over the slug allowing you to be more aggressive.

#18 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 21 2014 - 07:39 PM

Slug on a reaper is great for a game of long range peek-a-boo. Even close up it can still perform. Some of the best reapers I've ran across used the slug rifle and played it as if they were a long range scout. Even when I got close, all they needed was a pillar or a rock for cover an I'd have a hard time fighting them. All you have to do is burst the slug and sabot together. And their reload times are so close, I hardly ever fire them separately. Slug reaper is meant to soften up a target from a distance or ensure the kill. It is not meant for going toe to toe. If you see a slug reaper successfully skirmishing, that pilot deserves some respect. Plus, the slug tends to be favored by the 2k+ MMR crowd for the high burst potential on both the reaper and sharpshooter. I suck at both sniper classes, and I still prefer the slug.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users