HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

"How to play Siege"

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 krazykatboy

krazykatboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted April 07 2014 - 01:21 PM

There should be at least something instruction-wise in-game. When I decided to give siege a try, I was surprised there was no mention of it in any in-game tutorial, there wasn't even any summary of what the game type actually was, all I had to go on was the name. Granted, I picked up on it quick, but not only was I in the dark about the game for about two minutes, by the end of the match there was still about half of my team that didn't know what the hell they were doing.
Still, from what I read here, I have learned several pointers. Primarily that, despite what I assumed at the time, a battleship is still effected by mech-mounted weapons. Thanks for that guys.

Edited by krazykatboy, April 07 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#22 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted April 07 2014 - 03:20 PM

Was in a Siege game a little while ago and a teammate text chatted "First time playing this. What do I do_"  

Not something you can easily address in text chat.  BTW, he bailed out after a bit.

IIRC, Siege and MA used to be locked to new players until four games (DM or TDM) had been played.  Perhaps implementing something like requiring at least viewing a Siege and MA intro, or completing a SG or MA tutorial would help. Don't know how to enforce such a requirement but it might be some place to start.

Edited by caduceus26, April 07 2014 - 03:21 PM.

ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

#23 akiradaniel18

akiradaniel18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted April 19 2014 - 01:52 AM

View PostASneakyFox, on March 29 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:

i think the game should have a required training session against ai to unlock siege mode (similiar to how its done in dota2).

the training session should not only cover the basic rules. but also cover some of the common strategies and approaches to the game

some topics that i think should be covered: (feel free to add/ discuss)

- explain the new hud elements
- explain the gameplay flow (collect fuel-launch ship-protect aa)
   - some people dont seem to get why theyd want to control the aa when the enemy has no ship in the air.
   - the overall importance of the aa needs to be explained.
- explain possible team configurations eg leave some on aa/fuel harass while others collect fuel directly (either teach 2-2-2 or 3-3)
- knowing how to guage your ships fuel need.
- For instance if theres 450 fuel needed to launch. then 2 people returning their fuel will cover that need, any remainder is usually covered by the self fueling of the ship.- everyone else should be doing fuel harassment, fuel protection, or locking down the aa.
   - explain that the ship fuels at 1 fuel per second, unless the other ship is launched
- explain the 3 ways to shoot down a ship
- controlling the aa
- counter launching
- shooting directly
- explain that counter launching and controlling the aa can be used to completely protect your base from damage.
- explain that launching without controlling the AA is futile and a waste of fuel
- explain shooting the ship directly, but also that its generally not worth it unless the ship is at very low health or if your team is unable to counter launch.

i think siege is a truly awesome game mode. and i think it has the chance to be a truly awesome competitive way to play hawken amongst serious hawken fans. but i think the core of the mode needs to be flushed out more in the same way the core of dota 2 is "flushed out". Even total newbies to dota2 can hop on and atleast understand the general strategy of whats going on, i think it would be great if hawken could have that too.

Totally agree! lets give some pressures to the the development team, how could they not start a tutorial for Siege, there are so many complains, and until now, no actions have ever been taken!

#24 akiradaniel18

akiradaniel18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted April 20 2014 - 09:06 AM

View PostBoompigXD, on March 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

I stand in front of Sharpshooters when their not on the AA, blocking their view

I stand in front of a Grenadier when they not helping at all in capturing the Siege mode, and he said he want to report me
so that i got banned for sure. should i be scared_

Edited by akiradaniel18, April 20 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#25 SciFox

SciFox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted May 05 2014 - 02:25 AM

Ive more or less given up on siege. You enter a game and it's just a roll of the dice. Either youre on a team that "gets it" or youre not. Your individual performance can really tip a TDM or MA game but not a siege game.

Somebody is about to launch, you haul arse to the AA. Youre the first one there. Yay! ........and no one joins you.....and 3 opposing mechs mop the floor with you and you never regain the AA. Where are your teammates_ Who knows_ Off completing phantom objectives_ Shooting at the ship_ Maybe just firing TOWs into a wall immediately in front of them.

#26 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted May 05 2014 - 08:08 AM

I just played a Siege game:

- Map = Origin
- We launch.
- We have AA
- One lone enemy doesn't sneak but BOOSTS up side tunnel.
- They don't appear to flank but run into our base.
- Profit_

#27 BillOverbeckk

BillOverbeckk

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted May 05 2014 - 11:17 PM

View Postcaduceus26, on April 07 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

Perhaps implementing something like requiring at least viewing a Siege and MA intro, or completing a SG or MA tutorial would help. Don't know how to enforce such a requirement but it might be some place to start.

This! A Tutorial in game presenting the game objectives and how to play it.

Otherwise, last night I had a team mate tech shoot the enemy ship down from full health :D I spent 10 seconds shooting at him. Its probably the most story generating game mode though.

#28 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted May 06 2014 - 04:02 AM

View PostBillOverbeckk, on May 05 2014 - 11:17 PM, said:

View Postcaduceus26, on April 07 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

Perhaps implementing something like requiring at least viewing a Siege and MA intro, or completing a SG or MA tutorial would help. Don't know how to enforce such a requirement but it might be some place to start.

This! A Tutorial in game presenting the game objectives and how to play it.

Otherwise, last night I had a team mate tech shoot the enemy ship down from full health :D I spent 10 seconds shooting at him. Its probably the most story generating game mode though.
I feel ya'. This is one of the situations where I truly wish for friendly fire in the game. :D
ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users