HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Good starter mech_

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 IIINobleIII

IIINobleIII

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 07:11 PM

Hello! I barely got into Hawken! (So, I could say i'm a noob or starter!) Any ways, I looked around and researched about, I never found a good starting mech. I don't want to buy a random mech and later on hate it, so I decided to contact you guys on it. My question: What is a good starting mech or a good mech to later buy with money_ (I am the type of person who likes speed and firepower over defense and other things.)

-Thanks and Cheers! :D  

#2 Coboxite

Coboxite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted March 19 2014 - 07:20 PM

The one everyone gets to start with is a good one for starters.
Brawler and Vanguard are also good starters. If you want a little more mobility, then Assault and Berserker are also good.

#3 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 07:43 PM

Based on your preferences, I recommend scout or berserker:

The scout is our speedy shotgun mech.  The damage output at close range is pretty high, but it's quite fragile.  Be quick or die horribly.
The berserker is a fast flying mech with mid-range weaponry and a damage boost special ability.  Also the toughest light mech.

They're both good for a new player.  Easy to learn, hard to master.  Avoid the brawler, its speed is sloth-like.  It can be a good mech, but you probably won't like it.

#4 timestandstill

timestandstill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted March 20 2014 - 03:41 AM

The one you start with is excellent right off the bat. If I could do things over I'd play with the CR-T most of the time and try others out via test drives.

If you don't have the patience for that check out the Berserker or the Scout. High speed, high damage, not much in the way of health.

#5 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 09:18 AM

View PostCoboxite, on March 19 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

The one everyone gets to start with is a good one for starters.
Brawler and Vanguard are also good starters. If you want a little more mobility, then Assault and Berserker are also good.

Seriously_  I hardly see anyone using them!  For sure a few peeps are good at this mech but a good starter mech_

Assault, Beserker, Vanguard... those are easy to get into and fun to use.

#6 Zycat

Zycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 10:26 PM

Don't buy brawler lol it's bad. It is outclassed by Vanguard in almost every way.

I'd say Vanguard and Scout.

#7 XyXly

XyXly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 20 2014 - 10:39 PM

View PostWarlordZ, on March 19 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

The scout is our speedy shotgun mech.  The damage output at close range is pretty high, but it's quite fragile.  Be quick or die horribly.
I personally wouldn't recommend scout starting out from the blue, but if he wants to strap in for the ride and prepare for a lot of training, he can wind up a pretty good scout player.

#8 Velimirius

Velimirius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMontenegro, EU

Posted March 21 2014 - 08:41 AM

Meh only clueless ppl would say that Brawler is bad...

#9 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted March 21 2014 - 10:11 AM

Posted Image

You should stick with CRT.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, March 21 2014 - 10:11 AM.

#10 LinearFox

LinearFox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted March 22 2014 - 04:22 AM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 21 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

Posted Image

You should stick with CRT.

omg that is adorable :D

CRT really,

View PostIIINobleIII, on March 19 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

(I am the type of person who likes speed and firepower over defense and other things.)

speed and firepower, id say go for the zerker, his ability rocks! plus the air time, is huge man. :)

Posted Image

South Asia Team

LinearFOX

#11 IIINobleIII

IIINobleIII

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 05:14 PM

Wow, I got so fed up with earning around 200 money per game that I just went ahead and got the assault mech. It's okay, but this game is very, VERY hard to earn exp for mechs and money, not so much for base exp but for mechs you need to grind. I usually get around 8+ kills per game with 2-4 deaths. I only get a tiny fraction for unlocking the next level to mechs... Is their any way to get money and exp faster_ (Without purchasing boosts.) I can't stick with the CRT or the Assault mechs anymore! :P

Edited by IIINobleIII, March 22 2014 - 05:15 PM.

#12 LinearFox

LinearFox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted March 22 2014 - 11:20 PM

well, you need very good map positioning, and like aim. Just stay alive yo. Hehe.

Posted Image

South Asia Team

LinearFOX

#13 Kaiziku

Kaiziku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 08:06 PM

I instantly bought the Vanguard, and even though I'm not into the slowness of the C Classes anymore, my Vanguard is still my go to mech for harder match ups. If you learn to play a heavy, though, remember that just because you have a super huge amount of health, that doesn't mean it's wrong to hide behind stuff. I've actually found it extremely difficult to kill good scouts now, just because they're like fcking mosquitos on speed. By the time I realize I'm hitting them, I see my health is already almost gone, and so are they. The Scout is the next mech I want, tho. Extremely fragile, but they do a lot of damage, perfect for going between points and taking people out.

#14 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 26 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostIIINobleIII, on March 22 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

Is their any way to get money and exp faster_ (Without purchasing boosts.) I can't stick with the CRT or the Assault mechs anymore!

Doing lots of damage is better than only kills if you want XP.

Edited by Stingz, March 26 2014 - 07:31 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#15 AusMiner

AusMiner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 07:48 AM

Is their any way to get money and exp faster_ (Without purchasing boosts.) I can't stick with the CRT or the Assault mechs anymore! :P

Yes. Go for as many assists as possible. They will give you tons of XP and help out a lot.

#16 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 09 2014 - 10:53 AM

Stick with the first mech and get it to rank 6. If you like it, get the assault next. And since you like more mobility, the Berserker mech might be a good choice for you. Also, click on the link in my signature if you want to look at all the mechs in the game. I have extensive experience piloting them all and my videos give a pretty good idea to new guys on what each of the mechs in the game are about. Check them out if you'd like and I hope that they help. ^_^
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#17 Alpha86

Alpha86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 12:16 PM

^definitely watch his videos. I always refer to them when I am thinking of picking up a new  weapon and/or mech

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users