HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

My personal favourite tactics

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Evermillion

Evermillion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted March 22 2014 - 06:14 PM

so i have 5 different tactics i often use

1. Up in his face - so basicaly i run up to them to tank in damage, and once im too close to for them to see when i fire a rocket i just pop em right in the face, gives them little to no time to dodge my rockets, the major downside is the fact that this tactic is more suicidal when the target is not alone, or when your HP is too low to try this out, dont use a frail mech for this one

2. Flank and Spank - to pull this one off you basicaly got to check your map often, and look around for a firefight, flank around the target(s) then get closer and hit em with whatever you got, usualy suprising them or they wont notice it at all, the major downside of this is when they notice and get back-up, you'll be locked in, AKA an easy target, but if you DO manage to survive you might get some kills in

3. Crouching Rocket Hidden Mech - simple and save, its a basic thing, look for a firefight and simply launch rockets at the enemy from a distance, throw in some other long-range stuff in there and simply enjoy the assists/kills you get from it, the downside is rather harmless, as its only your accuracy that can make or break this tactic, altho you gotta watch your back too, because you might get flanked as you'll usualy be alone doing this

4. Dodge to Live, Walk to Die - basic firefight tactic, simply dodge whenever possible to try and evade any projectile or source of damage, the only major downside to this is when you're out of fuel, you're walkin till you get more usualy ending you up dead become they keep hitting you in the face with rockets and whatnot

5. Trapping and Locking - i usualy do this when im cut off from my team and i found a target who is alone, simply lead them around by running away, stand at a corner, once you see him you fling some rockets at his face, usualy turing the table making you the hunter, the major drawback is that you can be locked in by the target his team, completely negating the tactic in the process and making you end up dead

so yea, the tactics i use are mostly simple ones or just downright stupid, but hey, im new to this and all that, i simply did these things in my first matches and it got me as MVP (probably by luck) anyway, might be fun to use every now and then
CODE_Evermillion: Activated
Targets Found: Activating Weapon Systems
Weapon Systems: Online
Weapon Systems: Calibrated
Prepare for Combat

#2 BOD33SU3T

BOD33SU3T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 06:26 PM

View PostEvermillion, on March 22 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

4. Dodge to Live, Walk to Die - basic firefight tactic, simply dodge whenever possible to try and evade any projectile or source of damage, the only major downside to this is when you're out of fuel, you're walkin till you get more usualy ending you up dead become they keep hitting you in the face with rockets and whatnot

Only problem there is once you get to high ranked matches people know where/when to shoot when you dodge. Dodging asap then can be detrimental to your health. In general yeah don't just walk towards someone :P

#3 Evermillion

Evermillion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 06:40 PM

yea i can understand that, some tactics i use will quickly out-date in higher ranked matches, altho tactic 1. can still be used if you're tanky enough, but you'll need to have them alone because getting flanked would still kill you off, im Lvl 3 now, so i can understand that some tactics will not work later on
Prepare for Combat

#4 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted March 22 2014 - 07:51 PM

Tactics differ for different mechs & primary weapons.

Infiltrator is pretty good for having a whole lot of options in tactics - the burst of the grenade covers up a lot of mistakes, even now.

Don't always dodge left-right-left.  Mix in a left-left-right - and use your dodge to end up in a place you can put your ordnance where the other guy will be.

Flank - oh, yes, flank.  To paraphrase Napoleon:  Flanque, Flanque!  Toujours la flanque!
Posted Image

#5 Simp

Simp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 10:11 PM

Try not to use number three often unless you've got the long range weapons for it. Remember, firing or boosting puts you on radar. You're screaming for attention when you shoot. Sometimes its best to just walk up calmly and alphastrike their surprised faces.
Peek-a-BOOM

#6 Evermillion

Evermillion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 04:34 PM

i dont quite use 3. a lot anyway, i usualy use 1. and pop rockets in their face, 2. is one i rarely use since i dont quite find the right situations for it (because i always end up arriving at the fight too late to use it :I
Prepare for Combat

#7 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted March 23 2014 - 04:42 PM

4 and 5 aren't good tactics for players that want to get ahead in skill. Dodging at every given moment possible makes you predictable and any good player will take advantage of that. It's also never a good idea to purposely run yourself into a corner. That's making yourself a sitting duck with no cover and no escape in case your enemy does have cover or you get outnumbered. It's good to kite away so people chase you, but that's to get them to run into the welcoming arms of your teammates where they'll get demolished, unless of course you're playing DM.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users