HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Collection of Tips

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted March 23 2014 - 05:40 PM

After constantly getting asked in-game for help, I figured it’d be better to just write a guide and send people here instead of explaining things in the match. Not only does writing this let me avoid having to reiterate myself fifty times, but it also lets people reference advice instead of being unable to after leaving the server. If anyone has more tips to suggest, feel free to post them in the comments below. I might add them to the main post if they’re good enough, and I’ll most likely add more of my own once I think of some.

Basic Tips/Strategies:
1. Middle mouse button (alternatively, pressing right mouse button again works as well on mechs with a TOW or Grenade Launcher) activates your secondary weapon’s ability, which grants additional utility of some sort to it. For example, the TOW/GL detonate their projectiles in the air, the Sabot and KE-Sabot zoom in, and Hellfire Missiles lock on to a user-selected enemy.

2. Don't hover around in the air any more than you have to, as it makes you a very easy target for people that can aim. Some mechs are potentially effective in the air, but they require the Air Compressor internal to be very useful. It's best to mostly stay on the ground until you get more comfortable with the game's movement system.

3. Boosting and shooting gives your position away on radar, so don't do either unless you have to. It's usually best to walk around unless you're trying to get to a specific place, chasing someone, or being chased.

4. Make sure to always pay attention to your radar, as it's one of the most useful tools you have at your disposal. It's necessary to do this if you want to be a successful player.

5. Don't forget about your ability, but don't use it needlessly especially if you're in a C-Class mech. Turret mode makes you very vulnerable from behind, so use it cautiously and sparingly.

6. Don't fire your weapons right when they come off their cooldown period; wait until you have a clear shot that you're likely to hit before shooting.

7. Make sure that you're dodging and moving around when fighting someone even if you don't know how to maximize the effectiveness of your movements yet. Something is better than nothing.

8. Remember to equip your mechs with items and internals, as both can definitely change the course of a fight.

Intermediate Tips/Strategies:
1. Branch out and play more mechs, since doing so gives you insight into how people tend to act in certain mechs and lets you counter them more easily. You should ideally be eventually able to play every mech at least competently.

2. Familiarize yourself with the secondary weapon cooldown times so that you can preemptively dodge projectiles at close range. Most people make the mistake of firing their secondary as soon as it's ready if they're near their opponent, so take advantage of that.

3. Start switching weapons/mechs depending on the map, and learn how to use all of the weapons on the mechs you like to play.

4. Start practicing remotely detonating your TOWs and grenades without being able to see them, as this is incredibly useful and gives you many more options when you want to damage someone while not exposing yourself excessively. Mastering this is very important.

5. Learn how to use movement to aim more quickly. The turn cap keeps you from making rapid adjustments in your aim with just your mouse, so combine mouse movements with dodges and strafing to quickly aim at people coming from your back/side or at a fast enemy in CQC.

Advanced Tips/Strategies:
1. Mix in some quick aerial maneuvers using Air Compressor with your ground movement to throw off your enemy's aim and get out of their FOV. This certainly does not mean idly hover around with an occasional air dodge thrown in, however.

2. Simultaneously use dodges to correct your aim and dodge projectiles when fighting an enemy. This is a very important skill to learn if you want to succeed at high-level CQC.

3. Chain dodges and quick periods of boosting to avoid damage more efficiently. One of the most frequently useful patterns is: dodge-->sharp diagonal boost in the opposite direction until dodge is off
cooldown-->dodge again.

4. Use remote detonation to control the movement of enemies and force them into your primary fire. One easy-to-use and effective dueling maneuver (assuming you're using a burst primary) is to fire your secondary at someone behind pillar-like cover and detonate it next to them, forcing them to either tank the damage or dodge away and get hit by your other weapon.

5. Take advantage of the fact that dodges no longer take fuel to get to objectives and relocate yourself more quickly. Boost, turn to the side and dodge in the direction you were boosting, and, while dodging, quickly turn back to the direction you were originally going and boost more. Repeat.

#2 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted March 24 2014 - 03:53 AM

View PostJeffMagnum, on March 23 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

5. Take advantage of the fact that dodges no longer take fuel to get to objectives and relocate yourself more quickly. Boost, turn to the side and dodge in the direction you were boosting, and, while dodging, quickly turn back to the direction you were originally going and boost more. Repeat.

I'll be honest, i sometimes yell out woop woop while doing this..

Posted Image

#3 peacecraftSLD

peacecraftSLD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted March 24 2014 - 07:31 AM

View PostJeffMagnum, on March 23 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

Basic Tips/Strategies:

7. Make sure that you're dodging and moving around when fighting someone even if you don't know how to maximize the effectiveness of your movements yet. Something is better than nothing.

This is a great tip. I approve.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users