HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Idea for Mech with Teleporter

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 08:27 PM

I seldom like to even entertain "suggestions" for games... but I just think this is a fun idea that could possibly be morphed into a workable mech.

Something in the realm of a B-Class mech, which has it's special ability to set up a teleport device, anywhere but within a certain proximity to it's home base in Siege.  Once it's placed, from anywhere in the map, that mech can enter into a relatively slow animation that teleports it back to the place where it placed the device.

Sure, it's kind of a weird idea... but I'd like to see some creative thoughts on what the mech would be like.
What kind of new primary and secondary weapons would it have_
How much armor should it get_
What is it's walk and run speed_
What specifically would keep it balanced_

I am just fine with hearing thoughts about what a terrible idea a teleporter would be... but, as with most of the other mechs, they have deficiencies to balance out their abilities.  Why not point those out as well.

Edited by StubbornPuppet, March 26 2014 - 08:27 PM.

#2 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted March 26 2014 - 08:37 PM

I'll be honest...

No. No no no no no. Teleportation has no place in Hawken, both in regards to the in-game meta or the story universe. It would be a cheap, easily abusive gimmick with no sense to why it's in the game. Imagine how unfair and unbalanced it would be for players to go to an EU station and then instantly transport back to deliver within a couple seconds_ Or jumping from silo to silo in MA_ It would make the mech practically required for winning either of those game types. There's no way this would be a balanced mech.

Edited by nokari, March 26 2014 - 08:39 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Trych

Trych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 08:40 PM

Flaws. Flaws everywhere.

ideas are bad

#4 PhasmaFelis

PhasmaFelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 10:15 PM

View Postnokari, on March 26 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

Teleportation has no place in Hawken, both in regards to the in-game meta or the story universe.
Drones teleport in through big crackly discs in co-op.

I'm inclined to agree that it wouldn't work well, though. In Siege, you'd have to bar like half the map. In Deathmatch/TDM, you could deny opponents kills 100% of the time (unless someone was lurking near your teleporter).
There

View PostTrych, on March 26 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

Flaws. Flaws everywhere.
Ever heard of "constructive criticism"_

#5 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted March 26 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostPhasmaFelis, on March 26 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Drones teleport in through big crackly discs in co-op.

Are they teleporting_ Even if they are, that doesn't fit with the meta or the lore either. Plus they don't go teleporting to different parts of the map willy nilly. They are after all just drones.

Posted Image

#6 xoxAKIxox

xoxAKIxox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 10:32 PM

Sorry but no no no and no.

Just only A-class mechs are annoying enough :wacko:.

#7 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted March 26 2014 - 10:40 PM

No man, that will make it so easy bro, a big part of winning now is knowing how to move without being noticed and how to sneak on people from long distances ... that will ruin this.

Posted Image

#8 Simp

Simp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 11:18 PM

That might be a useful mechanic for future maps, but attached to a mech I'd say the idea is too awkward.
Peek-a-BOOM

#9 Sadistic_Dentist

Sadistic_Dentist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationPoland/Polska

Posted March 27 2014 - 03:27 AM

Well, I wouldn't think a teleporting mech would be food, but I like the teleport idea. There would be a map on which would be some teleporters looking similar to jump points on Uptown map.
WoT: P2W, NEVER MOOOOREEEE!!!
WT: Nice game, tanks finally implemented!
MWO: P2W, movement is fuzzybunnied up
HAWKEN: Great game, but crashes sometimes

#10 Null_Wing

Null_Wing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationThe Zone, Harmont

Posted March 27 2014 - 04:42 AM

There's a thread made for ideas like this (I.E. borked... broken... unfair... etc...)

https://community.pl...t-broken-ideas/
B)

Professional Freelance Bum
When The Subject Of Spam Is Broached, Our Sparing Human Intellects Instantly Assume The Most Ingratiating Form Of Anger Imaginable. (and we tend to start our own spam for fun after that)

#11 StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 10:11 AM

I didn't think it was out of place in the game, for the reason stated about the teleporting of enemies in coop.  I also mentioned that it would have a very lengthy animation process to both deploy and be recalled to the device.  I'd have it be only 1-way as well.  You can be pulled back to it, but can't go through it to get back to where you were.

I'd say you'd want this to be on a slow moving mech to help with balance.

Anyhow, as I was saying, this idea is for fun. I'm not screaming at the devs saying, "The game needs this NAO!"  I just thought it was a fun idea that a few people might want to play around with.

#12 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted March 27 2014 - 10:33 AM

View PostStubbornPuppet, on March 27 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

I didn't think it was out of place in the game, for the reason stated about the teleporting of enemies in coop.  I also mentioned that it would have a very lengthy animation process to both deploy and be recalled to the device.  I'd have it be only 1-way as well.  You can be pulled back to it, but can't go through it to get back to where you were.

I'd say you'd want this to be on a slow moving mech to help with balance.

Anyhow, as I was saying, this idea is for fun. I'm not screaming at the devs saying, "The game needs this NAO!"  I just thought it was a fun idea that a few people might want to play around with.

It still completely breaks gameplay.

Think about this. It's an unlimited ability to teleport instantaneously to any distant part of a map. It doesn't matter how long you make the animation, that's an undeniably abusive advantage over all other mechs. For example, if you play MA, you drop the teleporting pad at S1 while you cap the silo, then run off to S2 or S3 and then as soon as S1 starts to be taken by the other team, you magically appear at S1 and stop them. Now imagine if there were 2 or more people on your team doing the same thing. The mech would pretty much be required in every MA match because any team that didn't have them would be at an inherent disadvantage the entire match.

Posted Image

#13 StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 05:39 PM

OK.  Those are good points.

But, I would add, it would make sense that the enemy could destroy your teleporter, just like they can destroy a barrier or gun turret.  If they destroy the teleporter, the mech can't very well teleport.  If they show up on radar for the enemies, all the better.  Does that help_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users