HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How to play Raider in the most effective way_

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sadistic_Dentist

Sadistic_Dentist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationPoland/Polska

Posted April 10 2014 - 04:21 AM

Please tell me what is the secret :)
WoT: P2W, NEVER MOOOOREEEE!!!
WT: Nice game, tanks finally implemented!
MWO: P2W, movement is fuzzybunnied up
HAWKEN: Great game, but crashes sometimes

#2 Trych

Trych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 05:12 AM

Easy. Don't miss with the MIRV.

ideas are bad

#3 PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationWestern Wisconsin

Posted April 10 2014 - 05:50 AM

If you aren't connecting the MIRV with A-classes, just hit near their dodge landing spot with a slug for solid splash damage.  They can't fly forever so hit em with the t-32, use cover and be patient with the slug.  If you hit em hard enough they might run; NEVER let them run.  Be super aggressive with F ability and show them whats what.

Eventually you'll need to learn the MIRV though.

#4 Sadistic_Dentist

Sadistic_Dentist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationPoland/Polska

Posted April 10 2014 - 07:42 AM

Can you please explain me how the T32 works_ It was always a mystery for me.
WoT: P2W, NEVER MOOOOREEEE!!!
WT: Nice game, tanks finally implemented!
MWO: P2W, movement is fuzzybunnied up
HAWKEN: Great game, but crashes sometimes

#5 GreenEggsAndSamZ

GreenEggsAndSamZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 10:04 AM

You can spam fire the T32 bolt but generally, I stay behind cover and walk out with a fully charged bolt + corsair and then dodge back behind cover, or further out and behind the enemy. I'm trying to say, you can spend more time behind something and come out guns blazing, making it a relatively safer weapon. On certain maps, however, it's harder to hug a wall or object and the lack of dps can kind of hurt, so like others have already said - land your corsair to get ahead.

edit - oh right, just hold down your primary fire button and then let go to fire your bolt. The longer you hold down, the stronger it is (to a max of 120 dmg)

Edited by GreenEggsAndSamZ, April 10 2014 - 10:05 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Nosmer

Nosmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostTrych, on April 10 2014 - 05:12 AM, said:

Easy. Don't miss with the MIRV.
This. It doesn't even matter what primary you choose, they're all viable.

#7 Gakuseinozen

Gakuseinozen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 01:01 PM

Everyone is talking about the MIRV, but honestly the KLA is a great weapon also.  If you aren't close, MIRV isn't the mode to use because one of two things will happen: 1) Some of the projectiles will miss, meaning you would have been better off hitting them with the KLA anyway, or 2) All of the projectiles will detonate before reaching your target meaning it was a complete waste.   The KLA is great for lobbing at long to medium distances before you get close enough to use the reflak/t32 or hitting moving targets with splash damage (especially if you have the higher ground or are hovering above them).  

I would also add that the Raider's ability should only be used for one of two things:  1) Chasing down a runner - ONLY if he is running AWAY from his teammates and not towards them, 2) Running away when you are outnumbered or losing a fight.    

Getting in, doing damage and getting a kill or two and then getting the hell out is the best way to play the Raider imo.

#8 frederickthegreat

frederickthegreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted April 20 2014 - 06:44 PM

Never have it on long range mode. the corsair is a close up weapon

THEY ARE NOT a sniping class. One time a guy thought this when I was a reaper :ph34r:

Edited by frederickthegreat, April 20 2014 - 06:45 PM.

Go away

#9 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 21 2014 - 12:05 AM

I NEVER use the MIRV mode on my EOC Raider, as the KLA mixes way better with the EOC's playing style.
Pit an EOC Raider using KLA against a Reflak/BOLT Raider using MIRV, and EOC Raider will win.
Why_
Simply due to corner poking superiority.

It might have the lowest DPS out of all Raider setups, but that won't matter.
It can kill the MIRV Raider without even getting hit when played well, due to splash and EOC mines.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#10 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted April 21 2014 - 06:38 AM

Use cover
Don't try to take on an entire team
Don't charge in straight lines
Be smart at how you move and move with reason
If any shot you should land, it should be your Mirv/Kla
When using your ability, you don't have to just rush at people, just using it and walking around and having it active is a threat enough
Learn to walk a lot of places. Get the jump on people and landing a hell of a lot of damage with freak out even the most veteran of players.
Use radar. Be aware of your surroundings.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#11 EliteZeon

EliteZeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationZeon Frontlines

Posted April 21 2014 - 11:51 AM

I love my Raider... but I think I am kinda bad at it half the time. But because of that, I think I know every mistake I have been making. So I'm not sure if this helps but maybe it will:

When I go raider I prefer to be the little jerk roaming around the sides or the back. I do my best never to use my boosters and I always try to be aware of my surroundings and where the majority of my team and the enemy team is. But that doesn't mean I try to be far away from them. You gotta pick your battles carefully, get in there and get out.

The MIRV is pretty good when everything hits, but sometimes the risk is that one misplaced shot will cost you your life. So generally I try to stick in KLA mode as it is easier to use... the drawback being less damage and if you are too close, you harm yourself. (Plenty of times when I am too aggressive I end up blowing myself up.) In general I find myself using the MIRV more frequently on Heavy Targets, and the KLA on Lights.

The raider to me is all about being in their face and terrifying someone before they get a chance to react. I feel like its also especially made for ambushing weakened targets on the sides and catching people in the middle of repairs. I find myself much more aggressive when using the automatic shotgun, and more defensive with the T32 Bolt as I begin to play around in cover and making sure I burst perfectly while trying to make sure others don't have a good chance to react as well. As for the EOC... erm I have no idea how to use it... but I will assume its similar to the T32 in bursting and ideally laying down traps and area denials to fuzzy bunny over your targets.

When I use Blitz, I generally use it to once again, scare the living fuzzy bunny out of someone in the back of the enemy line and attempt to kill them within those split seconds when they think they are seeing the Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man embedded in their mind. I will also generally Blitz in order to give chase (risky as hell if they are retreating back to their buddies), or hold off in Blitzing until I am in a pinch and try to use it in my get out of jail free card. Knowing when to use Blitz is difficult to say the least... there will be plenty of situations where you will wish you hadn't used it earlier... even after it did you do good before hand.

The Raider comes equipped with an EMP charge. Before I remember it was practically an awesome plasma ball that shot forward and was easy to use. The more recent update changed it to a type of top I believe, and I find it more difficult to time, aim and use. But using the EMP to shut down enemy mechs may just buy you enough seconds to score in those kills without contested fire or if used defensively, give you enough time to get away.

On a final note, I find that the Raider ends up overheating A LOT. Either because I am trigger happy too much, or that's just the way the world works in the Raider. So try to make sure every shot counts, and as said by someone above me, the Raider is not a long ranged mech, so try to close your distance.

#12 Dangerr

Dangerr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 28 2014 - 09:07 PM

View PostMeraple, on April 21 2014 - 12:05 AM, said:

I NEVER use the MIRV mode on my EOC Raider, as the KLA mixes way better with the EOC's playing style.
Pit an EOC Raider using KLA against a Reflak/BOLT Raider using MIRV, and EOC Raider will win.
Why_
Simply due to corner poking superiority.

It might have the lowest DPS out of all Raider setups, but that won't matter.
It can kill the MIRV Raider without even getting hit when played well, due to splash and EOC mines.
I just hate using the EOC because my score/minute goes down the toilet. It is great for holding objectives, though. Otherwise, I find the T-32 or reflak to be the better tools of destruction. As for the Corsair, I use both the KLA and MIRV all the time; just those different situations.

#13 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted April 29 2014 - 05:20 AM

i like charging t-32 to combo with MIRV even when engaged in a close quarter fight with an A class when i can, less noise i attract much less attention, i literaly can fight someone behind his teamates and they wont notice when less shooting
i don't mean any of it

#14 GreenEggsAndSamZ

GreenEggsAndSamZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted May 01 2014 - 03:03 AM

Don't exclusively use one mode of the corsair. You're only hurting yourself like that. Here's some examples for both;

KLA - use this from afar, It's a fast projectile and a slow arc, so it's generally easy to aim. You can also use this to shoot at corners where someone is hiding, so the splash will hurt him. Also use this for when a group is bunched up, so the splash can hurt more than one people. Also use this when someone turns tail and boosts away. Since boosting turns someone into a straight-moving object, it's easy to land a KLA shot.

MIRV - use this for close range combat, of course. Play the corner game by charging a bolt and then dodge/walk out of cover with both guns blazing, then walk/dodge back behind cover to prevent retaliation. Also use this mode over the KLA for airbone targets. Mechs in general (barring zerks) will be too slow in the air to properly dodge your MIRV. If not, fire it at where they land.

Internals

I always use extractors, deflectors, basic constructor, and basic failsafe.

For extractors, I can charge at an EU station quickly, pick up repair charges faster from dead players as I go, and drop a repair charge of my own after escaping a chasing player and turn the fight around with more health and a surprise attack.

Deflectors because, well, deflectors.

Basic reconstructors help me stay on the move, so I spend a lot less time repairing. I can win a fight at an EU station, grab some EU, deliver, and then go back to either a EU station or the AA without stopping to repair.

Basic failsafe for those moments where you're so close you can see the whites of their eyes and yet you have to fire that corsair + bolt to end the fight. Failsafe ensures you walk away from that fight with more health and ready for another.

Items

Repair charges - I always carry repair charges mk 2 around. In addition to turning around a bad fight, I can also drop one to heal an ally.

EMP - Very useful, sometimes game changing in application. Used right, you can force a team off the AA by tossing one in their midst and watch as your team move in and mop up the rest. You can also use this in a 1v1 to gain precious seconds of free fire, which a raider will definitely make use of. Very lethal against heavies, since they're generally big and too slow to avoid.

Scrambler - I use this for pubstomping. Newbies generally don't know how to deal with 10 bogies on the radar and start playing badly. It takes some finesse to drop it and make it last, though.

Radar - I use this rarely, but it's the same idea as the scrambler. Instead, it helps my team to keep track of bogies. I use the scrambler over this for pubstomping because if there are newbies on the other team, there are definitely newbies on mine as well who probably won't pay enough attention to the radar.

Shield - I take this bad boy out every now and then. It's quite powerful in forcing an immediate CQC fight, which a raider shines at. It also prevents snipers (reapers and sharpshooters) from poking you and/or your allies off an objective. Just don't drop this anywhere, as it will quickly pop in a large fight.

Edited by GreenEggsAndSamZ, May 01 2014 - 03:16 AM.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users