HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

TPG League Poll: 5v5 or 6v6_

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: TPG League Team Sizes (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Which team size would you prefer for the league_

1. 5v5 (21 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

2. 6v6 (30 votes [58.82%])

Percentage of vote: 58.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted April 14 2014 - 10:54 PM

Originally, I had planned to make the league a 5v5 as opposed to a 6v6 to encourage more teams to join up and make some of the maps feel a little less cluttered.  Given that most of the dedicated teams are composed of 6 players or more, I think it's time to re-assess that decision.  Please vote on your preferred choice of team size for the TPG League.  

This poll will not be the sole deciding factor for the league's team size, but it may give me a clearer picture as to what's ultimately desired by the community and participating players.

Edited by Xacius, April 14 2014 - 10:55 PM.

High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#2 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted April 14 2014 - 11:12 PM

Just some of my opinions as to why I voted 6v6.

1) you can say maps are cluttered and the maps don't play well.. but until you can honestly show it. It is meaningless. Mass league play is a GREAT way to get results, positive and negative. And sometimes results you expect don't actually happen.

2) the game is designed around 6v6... Again, if something is broke.. you can't just say it is. You need to show it is. This includes items/internals/mechs and the combinations of all of them.

3) the more players you have the more important a good strat plays over single player skill. Far more interesting to watch for games that ARE team games at heart.

Granted it does have it's cons as well. But I think, for the most part, that the positives outweigh the possible cons right now.

#3 FuryMonster

FuryMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted April 14 2014 - 11:49 PM

Well said akrium. Speaking from first hand experience though several of the scrims we've done, not many maps are handling 6v6 well atm . Because of this we see the cluster fuhx and team collisions that nobody enjoys.

The best maps for 6v6 atm for Wreckage hands down and the runner up being Frontline.
On the other hand the rest of the maps work quite well for 5v5.

the 2 exceptions of poor maps being bunker / last eco, I think these maps are just way too open to have an strategy involved in them its mostly a zergy snowball effect.

Edited by FuryMonster, April 14 2014 - 11:55 PM.

Want to watch high tier scrims, clan and league matches_ Check out my YouTube! --->https://www.youtube....low=grid&view=0

#4 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted April 15 2014 - 12:30 AM

I'll go with 5v5 because with less numbers, the play will be sounder and each death will cost the team a lot resulting in players playing safer and thinking before doing anything.

And also, it's better for teams who can't get too much players to sign up, as in teams with 6 players (like mine), a player might not be able to join a certain game, and the 6th man can play instead of him.

Posted Image

#5 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted April 15 2014 - 12:39 AM

I think 5s work better, especially on the smaller maps (it would help if map sizes were a bit more consistent), but 6s definitely have advantages to others. Of course, I think too few on larger maps is better than too many people clustering, running into each other and the general messiness that happens.

Just a bit of a sidenote thought, not really relevant.
The odd numbers are also interesting to me from a tactical standpoint. If you split forces, you'll always have uneven strength between the groups. That means constantly making decisions about where your team's strength lies and needs to be sent. Of course, how important that is depends on the gamemode, and for TDM stuff, it's not going to be that big a deal, especially given the prevalence for sticking in one large group these days.

Despite my preference for 5s, I wouldn't mind seeing it be 6s. Good way to test if that really works out under non-scrim conditions, when there's a lot more tension. It changes peoples perspective some times.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#6 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted April 15 2014 - 12:49 AM

AJK, would you mind if I ask: I see you're discussing most of the topics about TPG, but I can't see you in any of the rosters. Don't you have interest in joining or are you planning to join later _

Posted Image

#7 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 12:50 AM

Prefer 6's myself, having played both in numerous scrims.

https://robertsspace...orgs/OMNISCIENT

Complaining about Hawken's population_  Read this: https://community.pl...en/#entry524454

Posted Image   

#8 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted April 15 2014 - 02:55 AM

1v1s!

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#9 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted April 15 2014 - 03:07 AM

View PostEliteShooter, on April 15 2014 - 12:49 AM, said:

AJK, would you mind if I ask: I see you're discussing most of the topics about TPG, but I can't see you in any of the rosters. Don't you have interest in joining or are you planning to join later _
Not joinng for multiple reasons. Too lazy (getting a team and practicing takes work). I don't think Hawken's current mechanics are good enough to bother with comp play. I don't think the format is particularly interesting (TDM with Hawken's system is not great for comp play).

But mostly I'm just too busy. I haven't even been able to play any game for about a week. I never know when I might be free to practice or if I'll have a huge project when tourny comes. There are weeks where I'm up for days at a time, painting while I eat, or napping during lunch breaks. I would make for an unpredictable and hard-to-rely-on teammate, which would mean I would be a bad teammate.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#10 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted April 15 2014 - 03:21 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on April 15 2014 - 03:07 AM, said:

(TDM with Hawken's system is not great for comp play).

I actually agree on this, as in TDM, better killers win: less strategy. And I'm sure Siege is the best mode for a competitive league. But ashfire said that probably in season 2, it will siege games, which is actually pretty cool.

Not sure if it can change for the current one, as I'm not sure if other team leaders prefer Siege instead of TDM.

Posted Image

#11 LEmental

LEmental

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 03:24 AM

More opportunities to play and more interesting team comps.

Posted Image

#12 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted April 15 2014 - 04:04 AM

View PostFakeName, on April 15 2014 - 02:55 AM, said:

1v1s!

This is not helping anyone, if you don't like the RULES PACKED league then don't talk about unrelated things in a topic related to it ... come on man ... lol

Edit: that answer, not helping either ...

Edited by EliteShooter, April 15 2014 - 06:41 AM.

Posted Image

#13 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted April 15 2014 - 04:30 AM

View PostEliteShooter, on April 15 2014 - 04:04 AM, said:

View PostFakeName, on April 15 2014 - 02:55 AM, said:

1v1s!

This is not helping anyone, if you don't like the RULES PACKED league then don't talk about unrelated things in a topic related to it ... come on man ... lol

1v1s!

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#14 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 15 2014 - 08:11 AM

I have always found 6's to be more interesting. Haven't really had the issues that are generally discussed when it comes to 6v6 except on certain maps that have real design flaws like uptown.

Posted Image

#15 Estif

Estif

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted April 15 2014 - 02:30 PM

6 vs 6, the squad match is designed in that way, besides, most of the teams will allways practice on 6 people teams.

BTW. I hope you can help me, I already signed up to the TPG,and created an organization, a team, etc. but none of my team mates can see my team on the list when they want to join. is this some kind of error, or the team must be accepted first by admins_.

Posted Image

#16 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted April 16 2014 - 06:56 AM

I would be happy either way.
6 is what I've been playing with DoD for years.
It's cousin CS has always been 5, and that, although not a class-based game, shares many of the same maps well.
Having to choose I went 6, in the spirit of letting it run default for simplicity's sake. But I don't have a strong predilection for it.

#17 killerskull

killerskull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCosta Rica

Posted April 16 2014 - 10:40 AM

I thing is better the 6vs6.... in hawken is that way at least. and thats is what are we playing no_

Posted Image

#18 CANCORT

CANCORT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationCHILE

Posted April 16 2014 - 04:37 PM

yea 6vs6 is cool
.Yo soy la sangre del indio ... Soy latino ...Soy mestizo...Somos de todos colores Y de todos los oficios Y si contamos los siglos...Aunque le duela al vecino Somos mas americanos Que todititos los norteamericanos... -NO OFFENSE-

Posted Image

http://clan_team_hs.mforos.com/

#19 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted April 17 2014 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for replying, everyone.  I think I have an idea for what to do.  I'm going to use the pre-season to test both 6v6's and 5v5's.  Here's how it's going to go:

Week 1: 6v6's.  
Week 2: 5v5's.

Start of week 3: Take votes from all participants.  Majority rule will determine 6v6 or 5v5 for the main season and finals.

Edited by Xacius, April 17 2014 - 04:13 PM.

High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#20 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 06:31 PM

I've found 6v6s to be the most entertaining and strategic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users