HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

need help with PAPA

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Audible_Silence

Audible_Silence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida, USA

Posted April 22 2014 - 06:05 PM

if you've played with me recently, then you know i LOVE the incinerator. I am a suppressive type player at heart. i enjoy getting assists as much as kills. in saying that...

HOW DOES ANYBODY KEEP SUSTAINED FIRE WITH THE PAPA__!_!

I understand to alternate between the two weapons. but you cant get a rhythm down, as soon as a team mate comes around you suck up all there heat while spinning up, then fire off 2 shots and BOOM! over heated...  even spamming the secondary... which leads to death cuz you are no longer spewing all kinds of lead or "whatever future matter of hawken" down range. after awhile, i like the papa, i don't mind the spin up cuz it leads to all kinds of power, but as a team based game, the absorption of heat throws off any pilot.

if im missing something or if somebody does well with it i would love some tips. i dont mind practicing for a few hours more with it

also i would like the spin up noise a little louder...

Thanks.

Posted Image

#2 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted April 22 2014 - 08:04 PM

Protip: don't fuzzy bunny hold down left mouse button.

Edited by Xacius, April 22 2014 - 08:04 PM.

High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#3 Varthorne

Varthorne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 09:24 PM

If you don't already know/do this, then I suggest you use the SAARE's alternate fire (middle mouse button). It has a bigger AoE, easier to aim (IMO), and it consumes more heat per shot. You still won't be able to fire the PAPA indefinitely, but it will consume enough to help you fire it longer/more often.

#4 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted April 23 2014 - 12:25 AM

In my limited but incredibly fun experience with the Incinerator (Note to self, get back to it now that I've got my Berserker rank 5),  Baby is for if you want to shoot people with bullets with a side of semi regular fireballs.  Papa is for if you want to be a walking pile of nonstop large fireballs with an occasional sprinkling of bullets that you might aim at somebody by coincidence.

Even hammering M2 with the larger fireballs, you won't be holding down the M1 for longer than a second or two at a time once it gets spun up to BBQ time.  The papa is a violent heat dispenser that just happens to be powered by bullets.

If you care about bullets more, go baby and never let go of M1 all match except when you are boosting, go Baby.  If you want to practice your insane Godzilla impression and roast your fellow C classes, go Papa.

#5 McBonY

McBonY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 01:14 AM

So, all you guys say is "You have a badass vulcan cannon, but you can't keep firing it. You need to fire that big multibarrel thing in small bursts while dumping heat like mad with your secondary". And noone sees anything wrong in this solution.

"Yo, let's make a powerful gun that generates so much heat it can not show its full potential. Ever." Great design ;]

Maybe... Just maybe... What Incinerator needs is not another vulcan, that cannot be used like one, but something different_ Dunno, like shotgun, railgun.. Something with low RoF, maybe high charging time, and ofc high heat generation per shot. Because what exactly is the point of Gatling gun that has to be fired like a freakin' semi-auto_

#6 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 23 2014 - 02:32 AM

McBonY, on April 23 2014 - 01:14 AM, said:

So, all you guys say is "You have a badass vulcan cannon, but you can't keep firing it. You need to fire that big multibarrel thing in small bursts while dumping heat like mad with your secondary". And noone sees anything wrong in this solution.

"Yo, let's make a powerful gun that generates so much heat it can not show its full potential. Ever." Great design ;]

Maybe... Just maybe... What Incinerator needs is not another vulcan, that cannot be used like one, but something different_ Dunno, like shotgun, railgun.. Something with low RoF, maybe high charging time, and ofc high heat generation per shot. Because what exactly is the point of Gatling gun that has to be fired like a freakin' semi-auto_

A highly-mobile C class with 2 burst weapons, one of which allows you to lose heat_
No thanks.

The PPA should be fired like a burst-rifle, not a semi-auto.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#7 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted April 23 2014 - 04:29 AM

Papa alternate fire, focus on backing off primary and keeping the saare lobbing gooey blobs of molten love.
If you are NPA and carelessly leave the papa trigger down a beat too long, you gotta do some weird dancing while you cool off.
Try not to punch a hole in your monitor, or generally break nearby objects/structures in frustration.
Take frequent breaks. Stay away from sharp objects for the duration of your papa bear training. Good luck

#8 Audible_Silence

Audible_Silence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 07:13 PM

i understand what everyone said, and i said, i have the ability to keep it spun without firing, and i can burst it then "cool off" but my issue is when i have team mates around. i suck their heat up and it compeletely screws up any rythm. you guys dont run into this issue_

-spinning
-fire
-alternate and fire saare
-spinning
-fire NO WAIT A TEAM MATE
-overheated....

guess just more practice... or more baby.. bleh

Posted Image

#9 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted April 23 2014 - 10:00 PM

Audible_Silence, on April 23 2014 - 07:13 PM, said:

i understand what everyone said, and i said, i have the ability to keep it spun without firing, and i can burst it then "cool off" but my issue is when i have team mates around. i suck their heat up and it compeletely screws up any rythm. you guys dont run into this issue_

-spinning
-fire
-alternate and fire saare
-spinning
-fire NO WAIT A TEAM MATE
-overheated....

guess just more practice... or more baby.. bleh
Yeah, THAT I can totally understand the frustration with. It always catches me RIGHT as I'm pressing M2 to lob that fireball but no too little too late, even with the Baby at times.  There is also no reason to stand inside your heat mines with the Papa, since the papa generates heat faster than standing on a heat mine. On that note, a pair of Incinerators next to eachother firing away causes... Strange things, with heat.

If anything my main issue with the Papa isn't that I have to carefully feather M1, so much as the fact that I feel like I will destroy my mouse from constantly hammering M2 from how fast heat builds up and how literally nonstop your fireball train can/has to be.  The former I could deal with, the latter not so much since even with the big fireballs, the Papa outpaces your ability to vent heat with fireballs.  It is FUN being a nonstop fireworks display, but it feels like it is as destructive to my hand and my mouse as it is the enemy.

And I am the sort of clicker/typer who has worn a fingertipprint and nail groove into my D key. Less so S, A and W are fine though.

Also, Papa means you can spam that heat dispersal ability if you are into that sort of thing.  Even if most of the time it is just a "please shoot me" sign to those out or range, or those who barely survive and slam a tow into your recovering face before they go.

Edited by SectionZ, April 23 2014 - 10:02 PM.

#10 Audible_Silence

Audible_Silence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted April 24 2014 - 12:19 PM

SectionZ, on April 23 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

It is FUN being a nonstop fireworks display

:lol: very much indeed.

having  2 or even 3 incins together on bunker was simply extraordinary... :wacko:

Posted Image

#11 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 24 2014 - 01:25 PM

I just got the PPA and played with it for a few hours. I've managed to get pretty darn deadly with the thing. That thing is just a DPS machine. The main thing you need to do is switch to the alternate mode on the Sabre. After playing around with it, I found that the PPA has a rhythm to it. Remember to spin up the weapon as soon as you see contacts on your radar because you do not want to be caught off guard using the gun. Once it starts spitting bullets, that's when you need to let up on the mouse. Fully spooled, the gun will generate enough heat to fire the Big Sabre shot in about half a second. So, hold left mouse down for half a second, then let go for another half second to aim and fire a sabre round, and then get back on the left mouse and repeat this rhythm. It should sound like this when you're shooting: Da-ka-ka-ka, BOOM! Da-ka-ka-ka, BOOM! Da-ka-ka-ka, BOOM! (horray for cheezey sound effect typing). Overheating with this will kill you because you'll have to completely re-spool the gun, and that will kill you in the midst of a fight. Using heat dispersion will reset the gun as well, so make sure that if you use it, the blast will kill your target. Also, avoid EMPs like the plague. If there's a person flinging EMPs like a monkey throwing it's poo after a week of a strict diet of high fiber cereal, don't use PPA.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#12 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted April 25 2014 - 01:19 PM

If you get emped, press F.

Only mech that can still "shoot" you once you emp it.

#13 ninjab3ta

ninjab3ta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted April 28 2014 - 03:04 PM

Just gonna repost something I said from another very similar thread to this one...

All three weapons on this mech are decent/good, and serve a purpose.

The BBY is for the "babies" who just picked up the mech (not trying to be insulting, just proving a point). It is to demonstrate how to use the primary and the secondary in tandem, heat management, and a general feel of the Incinerator.

The PPA is the big-daddy of DPS, but is too hot for inexperienced players, and even some experienced ones. Needs to be held in check at all times, meaning both pre-reving it and heat management in the form of burst fire. Currently my favorite primary for TDM as it allows maximum alt-SAARE spam.

The M4MA is for only the most experienced players, as it loses quite a bit of DPS from PPA and is not hitscan. However, I prefer this weapon for objective game modes for its superior area-denial capabilities, as its arc is nearly identical to the SAARE. It also has the nice bonus of adding another element of support to this support mech; once you can hit enemies at range with it, you can help your allies win duels by causing the opposing mech to overheat much faster. To give some feel for it, an unaware Assault/CR-T will overheat before they realize they had to use their ability in the first place.

The ability though, leaves a little to be desired. especially after its nerf, though that was somewhat justified in a pure mechanic/logical sense. I personally believe that, because of damage falloff now, the AOE should be much larger. Toss in the fact that using it while having PPA equipped makes you unable to deal damage afterward for 3 seconds and it really feels like a buff of some sort is in order.

All in all, I find this mech extremely rewarding to play, provided your team works as a team and you can stick with them. Many a game I have had where my team and I stuck together, with me shelling the distant enemies with fire while my teammates rained TOWs and grenades, and nearly instant-killing those mechs that came close with horrific concentrated fire. Just play like the Class-C it is, and never stop shooting  :lol:

Edited by ninjab3ta, April 28 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#14 Audible_Silence

Audible_Silence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted April 28 2014 - 06:56 PM

i saw a video of xacious (sp_) using it and after seeing the rhythm i got it down. although i still overheat sometimes from team mates getting close to me. sometimes i get sick of thinking and just go for the baby. the MAMA is nice too for siege.

Posted Image

#15 Mechta

Mechta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted April 29 2014 - 06:06 PM

I've got the rhythm down pretty good. I basically let up on the PPA every time I shoot the high conversion SAARE, which I fire as often as it will let me, and flip back on the PPA so it barely spins down. Every third or fourth SAARE round I'll throw an extra down range to manage excess heat, especially important when around team mates. Better to have to wait for the PPA to spin back up than to wait for your weapons to cool down.

Don't bother with the low conversion SAAR, you'll spend the entire time overheated.

It great for when people group up or choke points, I often get allot of surprise kills. The ones that are in denial about the shear amount of damage it can doll out in such a short time.

Frankly I can't wait to try the M4MA when I can afford it, just so I can avoid overheating so much.

Edited by Mechta, April 29 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#16 Hocisern

Hocisern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted April 29 2014 - 07:47 PM

I just count "1", "2", "1", "2" where 1 = PPA and 2 = high dmg mode SAARE. When friendlies are close I just fire the SAARE. Never fire both at the same time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users