HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Maps: Naming conventions

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Hocisern

Hocisern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted April 29 2014 - 07:42 PM

Compiled from well known Hawken community naming conventions, the map guide on the main site (https://www.playhawk...game-guide/maps) and my own observations, I've created some easy to read (most of the time) and referencable map overviews. If anyone has other names and/or additional names for specific areas of the maps please let me know. This guide is also on Steam. Go favorite it so you can pull it up in game.

If you're a new player these can help you get oriented on all the different maps. If you're a long time Hawken veteran these can help you coordinate team play.

Best of luck out there pilots.

Bazaar <- click for video walk-through!
Spoiler

Facility <- click for video walk-through! (uses older map version)
Spoiler

Front Line <- click for video walk-through!
Spoiler

Last Eco <- click for video walk-through!
Spoiler

Origin <- click for video walk-through! (uses older map version)
Spoiler

Prosk <- click for video walk-through! (used older map version)
Spoiler

Uptown <- click for video walk-through!
Spoiler

Wreckage <- click for video walk-through!
Spoiler

edits: feedback, corrections, video updates (thanks especially to ticklemyiguana, OmegaNull, ThirdEye and Saturnine for their comments).

Edited by Hocisern, May 22 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#2 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted April 29 2014 - 09:10 PM

Whoo. I have been wondering about this and those name I hear them using on twitch.

Lol if the overlay map was back with a coordinate grid (A-1, B-6, D-3, etc), things would be a lot easier when calling out locations.

Thanks for this.

#3 Zilph

Zilph

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted April 29 2014 - 11:24 PM

Not that it's a huge deal, but I think the teams on Front Line might be switched_ In the map guide it says that Sentium maintained their side (cleaner north) while Prosk's side fell into disrepair (urban south). Although, I guess you might have gotten it from where the teams actually spawn in-game_ (I can't remember the last time I checked)

I'm not saying either you or the map guide is wrong, just that there's a little discrepancy. Aside from that, yeah, things seems alright with the rest of the maps, Sentium usually being blue or mechanical and Prosk usually being orange/red or untidy.

#4 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 01:38 AM

Fantastic. I actually recommend a sticky and a move to maps following a few things. Some of the names are a little chunky and could be shortened or are altogether misleading, and it needs to be more granular. So here are my suggestions:

On Bazaar, Pillars of rock="outer rocks" or just "rocks", Eastern ruins is "S3", Fight club is divided up into "Bazaar North" and "Bazaar South", and mountain ridge becomes just "ridge".[EDIT] I got some of this wrong. Pillars of rock is actually S3. Not sure what to call Eastern Ruins.

On Facility, nothing really, though for the sake of being totally obvious, maybe adding "lift" is due and clarifying the rocks south of prosk and sentium as east and west rocks.

On Front Line "Tunnel" is pretty common instead of oven and "Tunnel Room" opposite the AA. (Could be divided into upper and lower for simple clarification purposes), and even though these are not necessarily roads Prosk (North, you wrote South) Road turns to "Prosk Road East" and "Prosk Road West" with the same idea carried through Sentium side as well as the highway labels. I am open to suggestions on better names for those. Cardinal directions are not the strongest way to refer to coordinates on a map, especially keeping all 8 of those straight.

On Last Eco, Pride Rock simply becomes "rocks" or "Center Rocks", and the areas around AA as well as the tunnels need appropriate labels.

Origin, I'll admit, after 80 hours in game, I still don't know very well-all the more need for granular and efficient names.

Prosk is pretty much fine.

Uptown is fine.

Wreckage needs Upper/Lower Swamp added as well as Upper/Lower tunnel added on the opposite side.

Overall, this will be of great use. This is a fantastic contribution to the community, which I have not seen done yet and have been wanting to do or see something like it. I hope you'll consider my suggestions.

If anyone else has seen overlays of maps like this that give us decent naming conventions, please post it here so we can compare and find efficient names.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, April 30 2014 - 02:15 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Hocisern

Hocisern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted April 30 2014 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and corrections so far. I'll make changes tonight.

#6 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 06:49 PM

This is great. Thanks for the edit.
Posted Image

#7 Blentech_Blender

Blentech_Blender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCentre du Québec

Posted April 30 2014 - 07:40 PM

Interesting, if they could only fix the ingame voice chat now!
It's Hawken smoke don't breathe this.

#8 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted April 30 2014 - 09:48 PM

View PostHocisern, on April 29 2014 - 07:42 PM, said:

Compiled from well known Hawken community naming conventions and the map guide on the main site I've created some easy to read and referencable map overviews. If anyone has other names and/or additional names for specific areas of the maps please let me know.

Bazaar
Spoiler

Alright! For my part, sumo arena is located around where you have bazaar south, where it has that circular constructed bit on the ground. The Fight Club arena I tend to use is in the area you have labelled as the Eastern Ruins where we do our 2v2s. However, the Fight Club area as you have it marked here is roughly the space we used for the Fight Club tournament, though it extended a bit farther into Prosk Spawn, and Bazaar south was what was used when we did 1v1s on Bazaar, though in hindsight I would still prefer Eastern Ruins as a location for 1v1s, despite the relatively large size of the area.

Facility
Spoiler

Looks good to me!

Front Line
Spoiler
For more specificity, The Oven is the tunnel that leads to the AA, and the Bakery is that room on the end. There should probably be a name for that balcony that overlooks the AA to the west. Balcony works since it's what just came up, but another name could work well. Similarly the tunnels attached to it may want a name as well. Naming it is somewhat difficult though since there could be a lot of confusion between the ramp that is below the highway,  the ramp that leads to the balcony from below the highway, and the ramps on either side of the balcony. Getting too specific there may actually be a bit difficult.

Similarly, the area to the right of Prosk Road is conspicuously lacking a name, as is the equivalent on Sentium side. Perhaps Sentium/Prosk Flank Approach_

Last Eco
Spoiler

Alright, Flora is red, Forest is blue, and AA square is just green. Cliff behind AA would probably just be.. pyramid cliffs. There's also the tunnels that cut through the center. Perhaps red-green tunnel for the spaces connecting AA and S3, Pride tunnel for the central one, and blue-green tunnel for the S1-AA tunnel could work. May be a bit granular and unnecessary in practice, though.

Origin
Spoiler

Looks solid.

Prosk
Spoiler

Perhaps that corner between E1 and Southern City could be something like Infected corner, Virus Corner, or something to that affect considering that area is overcome by hawken virus.

Uptown
Spoiler

Looks good. Perhaps a bit of description for the bridge in the plaza, as well as the ramps leading from sentium spawn to bridge room, and plaza to library.

Wreckage
Spoiler

Looks pretty solid and thorough!

Posted Image

digitalhughes: @s9 you stinkn' weasel!

Don't know which mech to pilot_ Check out my guide to the mechs!

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#9 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 10:41 PM

View PostBlentech_Blender, on April 30 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

Interesting, if they could only fix the ingame voice chat now!
In game voice chat works fine for me and the people I play with.

Also, I defer to saturnine in terms of map naming. Some of mine are made up on the basis of what they are and how short I can get the name to be, S9's been around much longer. Haven't heard Oven and Bakery yet, but if that's the convention then fine by me.
Posted Image

#10 Hocisern

Hocisern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted May 02 2014 - 04:48 PM

View PostZilph, on April 29 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

Not that it's a huge deal, but I think the teams on Front Line might be switched_ In the map guide it says that Sentium maintained their side (cleaner north) while Prosk's side fell into disrepair (urban south). Although, I guess you might have gotten it from where the teams actually spawn in-game_ (I can't remember the last time I checked)

I'm not saying either you or the map guide is wrong, just that there's a little discrepancy. Aside from that, yeah, things seems alright with the rest of the maps, Sentium usually being blue or mechanical and Prosk usually being orange/red or untidy.

So this is very confusing. But Sentium actually spawns on the "Prosk" side visually. And Prosk spawns on the "Sentium" side visually. I'll need to fix this.

Edited by Hocisern, May 02 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#11 LEmental

LEmental

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 07:58 PM

Sticky plz

Posted Image

#12 Hocisern

Hocisern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted May 02 2014 - 10:14 PM

View PostSaturnine, on April 30 2014 - 09:48 PM, said:

"snip"

Looks pretty solid and thorough!

Thanks! I've got the modified versions up in the OP now.

Edited by Hocisern, May 02 2014 - 10:15 PM.

#13 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted May 06 2014 - 04:45 AM

I'm confused, on frontline, why call the sentium side, prosk spawn and prosk side, sentium spawn, instead of red spawn or blue spawn_ The spawn points and the eu bases are colored red and blue.

So basically replace Sentium/North with Blue and Prosk/South with Red, like this:

Posted Image

Edited by shosca, May 06 2014 - 04:58 AM.

#14 Hocisern

Hocisern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted May 06 2014 - 07:58 AM

Great suggestion. Thanks shosca! Like I mentioned above that point has given me some trouble since the "Sentium" side of the map (i.e. its visual theme) is the side that PROSK spawns on and vice versa. Using "red" and "blue" is a nice work-around.

#15 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted May 06 2014 - 11:20 AM

Also its Choke not Choak.. Unless that was intentional..

#16 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted May 13 2014 - 09:04 PM

Nice one thank you :)

Posted Image

#17 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted May 13 2014 - 09:05 PM

I could use those names, that can help a lot :)

Posted Image

#18 Hocisern

Hocisern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted May 13 2014 - 09:51 PM

Going to be making video tutorials as I have time. First one here: https://community.pl...erview-origin/. Updating OP as well.

#19 Hocisern

Hocisern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted May 14 2014 - 04:07 PM

Facility tutorial is up: https://community.pl...rview-facility/

#20 Hocisern

Hocisern

Advanced Member