HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The Music of Mayhem: Weapon Sounds

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 06 2014 - 01:48 PM

This is something purely cosmetic and doesn't really affect gameplay, but I think it would still be interesting to talk about.

Is it just me, or do the weapons in the game not feel.... Giant_ I mean, the actual size of one of the light mechs is the size of a minivan and a heavy mech is the size of a small house, so their weapons shouldn't sound like battleship cannons. Still, most of the guns sound too small, like a foot soldier could be holding it. I'll quickly talk about each weapon, but feel free to voice your opinion below.

Assault Rifle: It's supposed to be something like a .50 machine gun, but it doesn't quite sound like one. Almost sounds like an automatic peashooter to me. I think they should add the sound of an actual heavy machine gun on top of the current sound.

SMC: it's sounds alright, but I think they should add the sound of a Tommy gun to it to make it sound a bit more visceral and hard hitting.

Point-D Vulcan: This gun sounds pretty awesome the way it is. The sound is very recognizable, and will strike fear into your foes when they hear you approaching. However, the Vulcan XT sounds really wimpy in comparison. I know it's a toned down version of the Vulcan, but it should at least sound a little more threatening than it does currently.

Mini flak, Flak Cannon, Reflak, and T32 Bolt: All of the shotguns in the game sound pretty good, but I do wish that they would sound a bit more... shotgunny. Probably add some more bass to them (especially on the Flak cannon and T32's charged shot) and make them sound like an approaching storm. Give a little more Boom for the boom-sticks if the game. And also add a bit more clear and definable sounds to the actions of the guns when they reload to really the the impression of a shotgun.

Breacher: Sounds amazing. The charge up, and the actual shot make it feel like a high powered nail gun/shotgun.

B3-AR B4BY, PPA, and M4MA: just like the Vulcan, they all sound awesome and terrifying. I wish that a lot of the other weapons had the same amount of bass and rumble to their sounds as these weapons do.

Redox: Sounds fine the way it is.

SA Hawkins, Hawkins RPR, AM-SAR, and Slug Rifle: they all sound pretty good the way they are, but I kinda wish I could hear some more sounds from the actions of the guns. These are supposed to be rifle-type weapons, and with most rifles their defining sound is the action of the rifle, not just the gunshot.

Seeker and Rev-GL: They sound perfect for the types of weapons that they are.

EOC Repeater: This weapon sounds the coolest in the game to me. Really sounds like a futuristic mine launcher. All the hydraulic sounds and air pressure sounds always make it fun for me to charge and shoot this gun.

Heat Cannon: sounds pretty awesome the way it is, but I would like it to sound a bit more like a cannon. If there's one gun in this game that should sound like a battleship cannon, this is the one.

All Secondary Weapons: Personally I think they all sound the best in the game. Each one sounds like the kind of weapon that they are. The only one I would change is the KLA MIRV. I think it should have a sort of shotgun type sound with it or at least sound different from the grenade mode.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#2 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted May 06 2014 - 01:52 PM

+1, weapons in the game need a bit more "oomph." Would increase immersion factor too

Posted Image

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#3 Mythril_Golem

Mythril_Golem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted May 06 2014 - 01:58 PM

agreed I feel human-sized in game. It's not just the sounds though, the visuals never make me feel like a giant mech, instead I feel like I'm in legoland. the trucks and various vehicles look like toys.

fixing the visuals would probably be impossible but adding some weight to the sound would be cool.

#4 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted May 06 2014 - 02:25 PM

That's how it was, but it was resources consuming, and the devs are trying to target bigger audiences, which will include a big part of people with low end computers that can't run the game with crazy visuals.

For the SFX, some are fine, and some need to be reworked.

Posted Image

#5 diablodevil2

diablodevil2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted May 06 2014 - 02:51 PM

Eesh. This may not be the popular opinion, but that's an eyesore. Hawken's come a long way.

Edited by diablodevil2, May 06 2014 - 02:52 PM.

#6 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 12:59 AM

Reflak and Miniflak should sound more like those automatic shotguns. Even AA-12 sounds more badass than Miniflak on my opinion.

#7 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 02:59 PM

Well, good to know I'm not the only one who likes the little things like this, in a game. XD

#8 Trucker_Dave

Trucker_Dave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 11:32 PM

the one weapon sound I'd like to be changed the most is the vulcan xt's, I bought the G2 assault solely because I wanted that awesome vulcan I was getting shredded with (I was a noob)
I didn't have the vulcans on other mechs, so I was underwhelmed by the sound when I got it, didn't realize it is different before.... it sounds so much less lethal, which it is anyway

#9 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 09:09 PM

View PostTrucker_Dave, on May 08 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

the one weapon sound I'd like to be changed the most is the vulcan xt's, I bought the G2 assault solely because I wanted that awesome vulcan I was getting shredded with (I was a noob)
I didn't have the vulcans on other mechs, so I was underwhelmed by the sound when I got it, didn't realize it is different before.... it sounds so much less lethal, which it is anyway
Yeah, the Vulcan XT sound is actually the original sound of the Vulcan, back in Hawken's Alpha years. Fun fact, but it still sounds kinda... meh.

#10 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted May 09 2014 - 09:25 PM

I wish my TOWs were more like this

https://youtu.be/m1yH7SIOkwU_t=4m6s

Posted Image

#11 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted May 10 2014 - 12:01 AM

View Postnokari, on May 09 2014 - 09:25 PM, said:

Sadly yes that dream is impossible to be done. How about something like VS rocket launcher from Lost Planet 2_

Edited by Battlesbreak, May 10 2014 - 12:03 AM.

#12 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted May 12 2014 - 04:50 PM

View PostBattlesbreak, on May 10 2014 - 12:01 AM, said:

View Postnokari, on May 09 2014 - 09:25 PM, said:

Sadly yes that dream is impossible to be done. How about something like VS rocket launcher from Lost Planet 2_
Lol, that would work. After all, I don't think any of our mechs are going to be using Chi blasts any time soon.

#13 TheFrostnessMonster

TheFrostnessMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted May 12 2014 - 06:35 PM

Yeah Lost Planet has some of the best sound design in any game I've heard in a long time. I just wish the Point-D Vulcan sounded like the VS Gatling gun as well.

#14 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 04:04 AM

View PostTheFrostnessMonster, on May 12 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

Yeah Lost Planet has some of the best sound design in any game I've heard in a long time. I just wish the Point-D Vulcan sounded like the VS Gatling gun as well.

Well their sounds are really close of each other actually but what I am looking for is. The sound while G2 Assault Vulcan TX firing sound while you are not the pilot should be the firing sound. I just love that sound. TSAKITITI TSAKITITI! All over fuzzy bunny enemies.I need to say Good G2 Assault is a nightmare to everybody.

#15 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 10:01 AM

View PostBattlesbreak, on May 13 2014 - 04:04 AM, said:

View PostTheFrostnessMonster, on May 12 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

Well their sounds are really close of each other actually but what I am looking for is. The sound while G2 Assault Vulcan TX firing sound while you are not the pilot should be the firing sound. I just love that sound. TSAKITITI TSAKITITI! All over fuzzy bunny enemies.I need to say Good G2 Assault is a nightmare to everybody.
Well, considering that the nick-name of the vulcan is "the mech shredder," it's current sound lives up to that name. I don't think I'd want the regular vulcan to sound like the XT, but hey if you like the XT sound that's cool. Everyone's different I suppose. Just to me, the XT sounds like something out of Ratchet and Clank, and while those games are awesome and the guns sound great for that type of game, Hawken is not really a goofy or cartoony game about blowing sh** up. Hawken is about mechs that say, "fuzzy bunny Newton's Law of Inertia!" in a gritty, Sci-fi battlefield that blow sh** up. Personally, I just think that the sound of the XT just doesn't fit in well with the rest of the sounds in Hawken. Again, that's just my opinion.

#16 bkcat1

bkcat1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationOuter space, destroying worlds

Posted May 27 2014 - 09:15 PM

I think most of the sounds are well done, and suit the weapons that they are attached to. My only issue is the sound of the Incinerator's primaries. They don't really sound that powerful... but maybe that's because they don't shoot fast enough for the sounds to mesh together.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users