HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

I need help with scout

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sushibend

sushibend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted May 06 2014 - 03:34 PM

Finally, after several hours of hard grinding for these HC credits, I can finally afford the scout!! yaayyy

But after several matches of repeated dying, losing, and sitting at the bottom of the leaderboards, i can confidently say that i need help.

Do i need a better computer_
Am i not using the scout correctly_
Do i need the flak cannon_
Do i need air compressor_
Do some mechs counter the scout_
Do i just need more practice_
Do i need the heat cannon_

I need help... or a refund so i can get the grenadier or something.

#2 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted May 06 2014 - 03:35 PM

Hey, check out my Mech guide compilation to find some advice on the Scout:

https://community.pl...ll-mech-guides/

EDIT: But seriously get the Grenadier when you can.  It's a ton of fun.

Edited by Silverfire, May 06 2014 - 03:35 PM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#3 sushibend

sushibend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted May 06 2014 - 03:37 PM

thanks

#4 Desert_Fox2

Desert_Fox2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted May 06 2014 - 04:45 PM

View Postsushibend, on May 06 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

Finally, after several hours of hard grinding for these HC credits, I can finally afford the scout!! yaayyy

But after several matches of repeated dying, losing, and sitting at the bottom of the leaderboards, i can confidently say that i need help.

Do i need a better computer_ No
Am i not using the scout correctly_ No
Do i need the flak cannon_ Yes
Do i need air compressor_ No
Do some mechs counter the scout_ Yes
Do i just need more practice_ Yes
Do i need the heat cannon_ No

I need help... or a refund so i can get the grenadier or something.

^

Those answers are in general. I am playing on a laptop; sometimes it hates me, An AC is useful. However, it rarely decides a fight between another Scout. Flak Cannon is the best for Scout. Sustained fire mechs are a good counter to Scout. Practice makes perfect. HEAT can decide a fight or match, yet it has a very sharp learning curve.

Feel free to add me in game. We can party up and I can show you what I know. It isn't a ton but there are a few players out there who are scared of me.

It sounds like you aren't using cover properly, and aren't using it as a peekaboo mech.

#5 kerberan

kerberan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted May 06 2014 - 10:22 PM

You just need time to learn how to use it. Same thing happened to me when I bought my Beserker (and later Scout). At first I thought that I wasted my money on a mech I can't pilot, but now I am quite good with them. The best thing is, it happens overnight, one day you suck and the next you notice that you are quite good with it.

I bought the air compressor for my scout because I developed a habit to fly with my zerker. But I think scout is better on the ground and I tend to fly less with it now. So, if you don't need it don't buy it.

#6 Mawnkey

Mawnkey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDirectly Behind You

Posted May 07 2014 - 12:00 AM

Air combat's overrated, but A class mechs require a ton of practice and far better strategy than B or C. You have to know when to attack, when to run like a little girl, and decide between the two very quickly. Using any of the A class mechs is just a more intense experience than other classes, but I find it more rewarding as well. Just stick with it, keep practicing, make sure to get your internal slots filled out as fast as possible, and most of all have fun (because they really are a blast). :D

#7 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 01:17 AM

For what I can now say about for you to help becoming better scout player.

As being pretty much defense role mech seek if you can flank some of the units on assault squads what are heading towards the objective (AA) what is occupied by your team. Take at least one of the squad mates of the team down (preferably last one who comes or on priority order [Technician needs to die always AS FIRST MECH OF ANY ENGAGEMENT] then the C class is possible if your health drops lower than 280 make your escape or fight to the end if your enemy is weakened too)

Important thing to know as Scout is what fights you fight. You are somewhat Anti A mech you have more burst damage than any other mech on the game (exception as G2 Assault on Close Quarters Combat)

Also you have third job scout the map for finding targets for your team, find possible flank locations or follow your teams flank squad (infiltrator + G2 assault) and see what you can do with them.

Fourth job of yours is harass, annoy, lure away and eliminate enemies who are under repairs. Lure away helps your team by having small time for repairing or clear out the enemy units who are attempting to assault a strong point. But this means that you will be setting yourself in to great danger by being extremely low on HP. Harass by being near of the entrances to objectives by laying down some damage and see which ones starts to chase you to kill you. Annoy C-classes who have taken a good point for dealing damage.

Priority order [Technician first, Then the class.

For weaponry the default miniflak is a beast already you can burst down really fast but you also heat up really fast so watch your shooting. Flak cannon and Heat cannon are excellent for either Close range sharp shooting or long range sharp shooting with heat cannon both are extremely viable.

Weak against you are to Incinerator and Bruiser also good G2 Assault riddles you full of holes in no time.  Bruiser can force you to open ground and rain you down with hell fires where you behind cover or not Incinerator has a lot of heat on his disposal and can blast you down with his AoE damage and do not ever stand right next to of him or he will extract his heat on you with his ability what may one shot you.

Also Other scouts can counter you too. Just remember stay on move and stay vigilant.

#8 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 07 2014 - 02:46 AM

View PostDesert_Fox2, on May 06 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

Flak Cannon is the best for Scout.

Sustained fire mechs are a good counter to Scout.

Heat Cannon Scout is actually better.
It's just harder.

Burst mechs are a good counter to Scout, like the Raider.
Only way sustained would be a good counter would be if you're not using cover correctly.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#9 Desert_Fox2

Desert_Fox2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 04:48 AM

View PostMeraple, on May 07 2014 - 02:46 AM, said:

View PostDesert_Fox2, on May 06 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

Flak Cannon is the best for Scout.

Sustained fire mechs are a good counter to Scout.

Heat Cannon Scout is actually better.
It's just harder.

Burst mechs are a good counter to Scout, like the Raider.
Only way sustained would be a good counter would be if you're not using cover correctly.

Hmm... That reminds me. I had meant to let him know that the tips I gave him were for someone at his level. For someone that is already having trouble with Scout, adding on the challenge of the HEAT Cannon.

I rarely have any problems against Raider. In my opinion they are one of the easier B classes to fight and take out.

A smart sustained fire mech won't play peekaboo with you. However, the best anti-Scout mech is the Incini with the PPA.

#10 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted May 07 2014 - 08:47 AM

I personally favor the Flak cannon over heat. You loose the advantage of distance but gain the ability to be as maneuverable as you want. It is easiest to play as well.

Also,  desert, you have not gone against weez have you_ Same for MadSavage. Both of them have great Raiders.

I am currently on my phone but go to steam guides for this game and look for A Veteran's Guide to the Scout or something along those lines.

Additionally, feel free to shoot me a PA if you have further questions.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#11 Desert_Fox2

Desert_Fox2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 09:36 AM

View PostOmegaNull, on May 07 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

Also,  desert, you have not gone against weez have you_ Same for MadSavage. Both of them have great Raiders.

I have fought Weez. He is very good, thought I normally only fight him in TDM. I have fought Savage; many times. He and I have very good fights.

I never said that I always win, but Raiders seem to be predictable. It all depends on the situation.

#12 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted May 07 2014 - 09:38 AM

Very true.

https://community.pl...or-new-players/

There is the guide I was talking about earlier.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users