HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

how about s camera item_

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Shjohn

Shjohn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 08:18 AM

I was thinking about how it could be useful to have a camera dart item. It would be useful in seeing what's going on our around corners. I was thinking it could take the spot of a turret and that the further away you got from it the blurier your picture.  Of course they world be extremely noticeable and could be killed by practically  anything but I think it would be a nice touch

#2 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted May 13 2014 - 08:22 AM

TOOOOOOO OP

Posted Image

#3 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted May 13 2014 - 08:35 AM

So, basically a scanner you can shoot all the way across maps and put them down anywhere you want_ Am I reading that right_

#4 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted May 13 2014 - 08:58 AM

hmmm.....if it appears on the minimap as a enemy, constantly, then it should be easy to spot and a large hit box
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#5 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted May 13 2014 - 10:52 AM

How would you watch what the camera sees_ A picture-in-picture display_ If that's the case I really don't see how that could work with all of the other UI elements and y'know, gameplay taking up the majority of your screen space. If the camera loses signal the farther away you get from it, what's the point_ If you dropped a probe for a clear picture around a corner but you lose the picture as you back away from that corner, why not just look around it yourself at that point_ And how would it truly be useful in seeing around corners_ What kind of field-of-view and focal length would this camera have_ Could it be attached to walls or ceilings_ Obviously it would have to deactivate/dissipate after some time as having constant camera probes up until you die would be horribly cheap and unfun to play against, what kind of time duration are we talking about here_ I don't think you really thought out anything other than the "it would be cool if" factors.

Edited by Beefsweat, May 13 2014 - 10:52 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Shjohn

Shjohn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 12:10 PM

I thought it would be obvious that you just hit the r button while on the camera item slot again while active.  And it would only give a certain amount of view

#7 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted May 20 2014 - 01:10 AM

I don't hate this idea, particularly with the R screen-select. Change the range of it to an arc and make hitting R while the item is selected or the appropriate number key take you to a camera screen dealy. It has about a 90-180 degree viewing arc you can affect with mouse. Switch back with the appropriate key again. This also limits it strictly to a 1-per-life item. Maybe make it have a clearer picture depending on how close you are to it_ Make it destructible and Bob's your uncle.

If you really want to be a fuzzy bunny with it, have it immobilize movement while peeking, but let's be honest here, moving around without seeing your surroundings is almost as bad.

It might encourage people to use the voice chat, call out locations with it.

...though that might be a point against it, on second thought. :D

#8 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 02:10 AM

OP_! *cough cough cough cough* Reminds me more about Call of Duty BO game's camera thingy. Except that it replaces the radar if you have it online. This thing is not OP just extra awareness item. I am not really sure can this be added to game if we think the possibilities it opens for your team... They are kinda limited... Nearly same to me will this be added or not.

Edited by Battlesbreak, May 20 2014 - 02:10 AM.

#9 teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 04:38 AM

Some one has played too much Splinter Cell

Now we just need the Infiltrator to have the option of sneaking behind all the Assaults, grabbing them, and interrogating them for all their secretz...

#10 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted May 22 2014 - 01:34 AM

You spelled "snap their necks" wrong.

#11 teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostAmidatelion, on May 22 2014 - 01:34 AM, said:

You spelled "snap their necks" wrong.

You don't get 100% that way...

At this point, you must ask yourself, who has really played too much Splinter Cell...

Edited by teeth_03, May 22 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#12 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted May 23 2014 - 05:56 PM

I wouldn't compare this to a scanner.  Scanners are 360 degree wallhacks while this is just lets you have line-of-sight vision from one specific spot and direction.  Actually implementing it would be tricky though.  How would you allow the player to look through it_  Picture-in-picture_  A special keybind_  Something new would have to be created to accommodate this.  It doesn't sound OP though; it's like a heavily nerfed scanner if you think about it.

#13 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted May 23 2014 - 09:32 PM

View PostWarlordZ, on May 23 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

I wouldn't compare this to a scanner.  Scanners are 360 degree wallhacks while this is just lets you have line-of-sight vision from one specific spot and direction.  Actually implementing it would be tricky though.  How would you allow the player to look through it_  Picture-in-picture_  A special keybind_  Something new would have to be created to accommodate this.  It doesn't sound OP though; it's like a heavily nerfed scanner if you think about it.

No, like St. John and I said, just select the now-empty item slot and hold R to change your view wholesale. You get mouse control over the camera and maintain WASD control over your mech and just release R to return to your mech view

#14 Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBeing a Turnip.

Posted July 20 2014 - 09:02 AM

For this to be *slightly* less OP, I think it should act like repair mode.

i.e The mech folds down, as if it was about to repair. A little drone (The item) comes out of the top, and has consistent flying, but no boosting. It would have, maybe, 50HP(_) that was unrepairable. The drone could be flown any distance away from you and the picture would stay the same. The drone would have no ability, no weapons, no items and no radar. You could then use it as kind of a more in-depth portable scanner.
However! If your mech was to be attacked whilst you were piloting the drone, it would instantly kick you out of drone mode and the drone would self-destruct (Which would do no damage).

This would mean you could use it to spy on other players, but would have to find a safe place to hole up before activating it. It would also mean you'd have to be sneaky, as otherwise players would just see you and TOW you to the face.
Posted ImageWhoever said Turnips couldn't play Video Games was wrong. Probably.
Spoiler

#15 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted July 23 2014 - 11:04 PM

View PostMiscellaneous, on July 20 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

For this to be *slightly* less OP, I think it should act like repair mode.

i.e The mech folds down, as if it was about to repair. A little drone (The item) comes out of the top, and has consistent flying, but no boosting. It would have, maybe, 50HP(_) that was unrepairable. The drone could be flown any distance away from you and the picture would stay the same. The drone would have no ability, no weapons, no items and no radar. You could then use it as kind of a more in-depth portable scanner.
However! If your mech was to be attacked whilst you were piloting the drone, it would instantly kick you out of drone mode and the drone would self-destruct (Which would do no damage).

This would mean you could use it to spy on other players, but would have to find a safe place to hole up before activating it. It would also mean you'd have to be sneaky, as otherwise players would just see you and TOW you to the face.
I love this idea. Seems like it can be useful in a team game. However, I think you should be able to call out enemy positions from within the camera mode at least to help it maintain usefulness. Also, enemies marked by the camera will remain marked until the camera is deactivated.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users